Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations

GameSpot has a response from Oculus VR to recent accusations from ZeniMax that Oculus is using technology that belongs to ZeniMax to develop their upcoming VR headsets. Here's the bulleted counter-argument:

• There is not a line of Zenimax code or any of its technology in any Oculus products.
  • John Carmack did not take any intellectual property from ZeniMax.
  • ZeniMax has misstated the purposes and language of the ZeniMax non-disclosure agreement that Palmer Luckey signed.
  • A key reason that John permanently left ZeniMax in August of 2013 was that ZeniMax prevented John from working on VR, and stopped investing in VR games across the company.
  • ZeniMax canceled VR support for Doom 3 BFG when Oculus refused ZeniMax’s demands for a non-dilutable equity stake in Oculus.
  • ZeniMax did not pursue claims against Oculus for IP or technology, ZeniMax has never contributed any IP or technology to Oculus, and only after the Facebook deal was announced has ZeniMax now made these claims through its lawyers.
  • Despite the fact that the full source code for the Oculus SDK is available online (developer.oculusvr.com), ZeniMax has never identified any ‘stolen’ code or technology."

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 9, 2014, 16:20 jdreyer

Have you tried it? Your response suggests that you haven't.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 6, 2014, 15:38 Beelzebud

Let's cut the bullshit on "VR".

When it comes, it will be a hardware piece no different than your monitor. It's not going to be some "platform" like a game console. It's just a display unit, nothing more.

I'm still not certain VR is going to take of in the short-term, as there are still major hurdles to overcome in regards to input. It's hard to sell something as "virtual reality" when you still control things with a keyboard and mouse.

55. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 6, 2014, 08:44 nin

jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2014, 16:57:
nin wrote on May 5, 2014, 16:25:
jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2014, 16:18:
Both sides have fired salvos. This war is far from over, and much will come out in discovery. Get out the popcorn boys.

Popcorn

Honestly, as soon as bookface hopped into the picture, I've pretty much lost interest.

Really? So you won't be buying an OR?

No plans, currently. Zuck will fuck it up.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

54. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 6, 2014, 01:28 Talisorn

So SCOs old lawyers are working for Zenimax, huh?  

53. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 6, 2014, 00:24 Silicon Avatar

HorrorScope wrote on May 5, 2014, 19:52:
Silicon Avatar wrote on May 5, 2014, 19:43:
With Facebook owning OR? No way.

Facebook's entire business is shoving ads in your face. That's all they do.

Somebody else will do VR and I'll check them out.

LOL. You will be able to buy the device and play hardcore games and never see an add. Public hysteria.

Says you.

For the record, I'm not going to wear a big fat sweaty plastic headband for any length of time, so VR is going to have to get a heck of a lot better - and be compatible with my glasses - before I'll even care. I have no horse in this race.

For two, FB didn't just buy a new technology because they felt like hopping into hardware. That isn't what they do. They're going to exploit the user base in some way. Watch and see.

52. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 21:03 [VG]Reagle

Arrest John Carmack now! He stole VR technology and sold it to Oculus!!!  

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

51. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 20:05 HorrorScope

LOL the NDA is online of all things...

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/168994612/Oculus-ZeniMax-NDApdf

50. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 20:05 Tom

HorrorScope wrote on May 5, 2014, 19:52:
LOL. You will be able to buy the device and play hardcore games and never see an add. Public hysteria.

Yeah, all that crap is just a bunch of hot air. You know 99% of these people are going to be shelling out for a Rift as soon as they can, unless someone manages to beat Oculus to the punch. That seems pretty unlikely right now but anything can happen.

49. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 19:52 HorrorScope

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 5, 2014, 19:43:

48. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 19:45 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2014, 16:09:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 5, 2014, 10:43:

Dude, it's Zenimax... aside from Activision (1st) they are the 2nd lord of Hell in terms of evil

So, uh, where does EA fit in? They can't have fallen to third after BF4 and Simcity.

I got my offline Sim City... and mods (ye may now laugh, but there are some really useful mods for that, Crossover mod for example, makes it so cars can cross streets at all possible points and so solves a HUGE pathfinding issue. That gave them bonus karma points.

Also EA is not so much evil, as it is a douche. And hate to say it, but I do still like Battlefield... and I would instantly buy a future battlefield IF it was sci-fi (ie, 2142 sequel).

47. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 19:43 Silicon Avatar

46. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 18:02 Tim Collins

Oculus you forgot to drop the mic at the end  

45. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 16:57 jdreyer

nin wrote on May 5, 2014, 16:25:
Both sides have fired salvos. This war is far from over, and much will come out in discovery. Get out the popcorn boys.

Popcorn

Honestly, as soon as bookface hopped into the picture, I've pretty much lost interest.

Really? So you won't be buying an OR?

My own take on it is that Zuck is a VR fanboy and this is kind of a pet project for him. While I lament the big corp buyout, I don't think it's as ominous as some others we've seen, like when EA buys up a dev that gets shut down a couple years after the fact.

44. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 16:45 Parallax Abstraction

NetHead wrote on May 5, 2014, 14:27:
I think someone else recently pasted this about Zenimax/Bethesda on Blue's. I think it's well worth posting again as what's going on between them an Oculus so far doesn't seem all that surprising or unusual.

http://geekbravado.com/2013/06/04/bethesdas-shady-business-isnt-unusual/

Thanks for plugging my blog post again. I should point out that what I stated in that post is just based on my own experience with similar companies and (anonymous) posts that were linked elsewhere. I certainly have no factual knowledge of the insides of ZeniMax and whatnot but yeah, stuff like this just seems to reinforce that this is how they do business. The guy who runs ZeniMax has a very ethically checkered professional history (I remember Notch linked to some court documents about him during the Scrolls nonsense.) Stuff like this will always come back to bite people one day. You can't run your business with the intent of screwing over everyone you work with before you run out of people willing to work with you.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

43. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 16:25 nin

Popcorn

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

42. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 16:18 jdreyer

Popcorn

41. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 16:14 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on May 5, 2014, 14:03:
I guess we'll never see any ZeniMax games supporting Occulus.

Yeesh, I hope not. Soooo looking forward to playing Skyrim on OR.

40. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 16:09 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on May 5, 2014, 10:43:

Dude, it's Zenimax... aside from Activision (1st) they are the 2nd lord of Hell in terms of evil

So, uh, where does EA fit in? They can't have fallen to third after BF4 and Simcity.

39. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 15:41 McTurbo

www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-09-john-carmack-on-virtual-reality-uncut

heres where he talked about the VR stuff he created.. i am under the assumption that he was with id software and zenimax? when he did all this.. if so.. this is an interview from carmacks own mouth.. and zenimax may have a case.

38. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 15:38 theyarecomingforyou

ZeniMax wanted a stake in the Oculus Rift and threw its toys out of the pram when it couldn't get its way, cancelling the Doom 3 edition that was going to support it. Carmack wrote some code for Doom 3 to get it to support the OR but that remains with ZeniMax, so that's irrelevant.

ZeniMax wants money for doing nothing. It's the epitome of sleazy capitalism. ZeniMax can fuck off and die in a ditch.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo