Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10 Redux

The top 10 listing for Steam sales last week changed after it was posted here yesterday, so it seems like it was in the process of being updated when we grabbed it. Apologies for any confusion this caused, or any high-stakes bets lost as a result of this error. Here's the updated top 10:

1. Dark Souls II
  2. DayZ
  3. Star Wars Collection
  4. Prison Architect
  5. Watch Dogs
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Space Engineers
  8. Rust
  9. The Elder Scrolls Skrim: Legendary Edition
  10. Arma III

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 6, 2014, 08:49 nin

Fantaz wrote on May 6, 2014, 01:27:
i want GTA5 to come out on PC so i can play it with KB+M, like i did playing with all the past GTA games that got ported to PC.

anything with a camera needs a mouse to control it.

I put 120+ hours into 5, and I can't imagine going back to k/m for it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 6, 2014, 08:30 Mordecai Walfish

harlock wrote on May 6, 2014, 03:21:
i want GTA5 to come out on PC so i can play it with KB+M, like i did playing with all the past GTA games that got ported to PC.

i actually use both for gta.. kbm for on foot, controller for vehicles

Ditto. Driving in GTA is too much fun with a controller to use KB/M for it, but once I started playing SA:MP & GTA4 I started to use kb/m on foot for better aiming control in order no not get annihilated online

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 6, 2014, 03:21 harlock

i actually use both for gta.. kbm for on foot, controller for vehicles

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 6, 2014, 01:27 Fantaz

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 20:55 jacobvandy

That's because FPS games don't have dozens of hotkeys. Except ARMA, and everybody hates those controls.  

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 20:46 Primalchrome

harlock wrote on May 5, 2014, 19:45:
thats ok though, most peoples minds are incredibly limited when it comes to considering any other possibilities than those which are most familiar
Sad little troll. "limit themselves BY 3-4 keys"...not "limit themselves TO 3-4 keys". I used arrows back when I played Wolfenstein3D. WASD around Doom. Somewhere around Tribes I realized I could open up a whole new row and 80+wpm typing to my advantage by moving to the home row. I've also tried devices like the old Nostromo keypads, so I have tried a wide variety of input schemes....but keep finding QWERTY much more accessible overall. RTS and now MOBAS moved that direction some time ago...it's FPS that hasn't grown its control scheme in a logical manner.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 19:45 harlock

Primalchrome wrote on May 5, 2014, 19:13:
Why people limit themselves by 3-4 keys by using WSAD, I'll never know.

probably because you havent figured out that WSAD layout also gives easy access to shift, control, alt, q, e, c, v, f, g, and so forth

thats ok though, most peoples minds are incredibly limited when it comes to considering any other possibilities than those which are most familiar

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 19:13 Primalchrome

saluk wrote on May 5, 2014, 18:50:
But they are ideal for running around in 3d and making quick positional adjustments, not to mention that the game itself is optimized around a controller, as far as button placement and the number of buttons it expects you to be able to hold at once (not a keyboard's strong suit).
Mmmmm...I beg to differ. If you use the home keys on a keyboard for your left hand, you have somewhere between 15 and 20 buttons readily available (depending on your dexterity an size of fingers). You can easily manipulate four or five of those buttons at a time. Example : Forward (E) + Strafe Left (S) + Crouch (A)+ Bunny Hop (Space). All while using mouselook and R/L mouse buttons for fire and AltFire or zoom. Why people limit themselves by 3-4 keys by using WSAD, I'll never know.

And I am far from a purist.... I played Saint's Row the Third and Darksiders with keyboard and mouse (with no issues) but I play Dark Souls and games like The Last of Us with a controller. It all depends on whether I want precision gameplay or something that feels a little more fluid and loose.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 19:00 harlock

Fion wrote on May 5, 2014, 17:38:
I cant use gamepads. I find them far to unwieldy and imprecise. I suppose with time I could get used to them but frankly, I'd rather not.

did you play super mario with a mouse and keyboard?

platformers pretty much require a controller to play optimally, that also translates into 3rd person action games, which is just another iteration on the idea

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 18:50 saluk

Unwieldy and imprecise for what exactly? The kinds of movements they are good for are obviously different than mice. Using a stick to aim is not the best thing in the world. But they are ideal for running around in 3d and making quick positional adjustments, not to mention that the game itself is optimized around a controller, as far as button placement and the number of buttons it expects you to be able to hold at once (not a keyboard's strong suit).  

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 17:38 Fion

I cant use gamepads. I find them far to unwieldy and imprecise. I suppose with time I could get used to them but frankly, I'd rather not.  

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 17:15 jdreyer

If you're a PC gamer, it's past time you own a game pad. They're pretty cheap, they last forever, and there are certain kinds of games that a gamepad provides the best experience with. Get on it people. We're a good decade past the days when Quake, Command & Conquer, and Morrowind were the templates for all games on the PC (amazing games though they were).  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 17:03 jdreyer

nin wrote on May 5, 2014, 14:10:
A number of people here have expressed liking it. Do you work for a company with a rival game (see how goofy that question is)?

Zing! Pow!

That cracked me up.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 17:03 Yifes

Fion wrote on May 5, 2014, 16:41:
I've been playin the hell out of Dark Souls 2 myself, it's an addictive game. I'm a newbie to the series so I'm getting my ass kicked left and right but it's fun none the less.

I don't get why anyone would play Dark Souls 2 with mouse + kb. You wouldn't play a flight sim or a racing game with mouse + kb....why do that to yourself in Dark Souls 2? It's hard enough already.

Anyways, playing with a xbox 360 controller, and the game is a lot of fun. Well, except repeated getting ganked 2v1 in Belfry Luna...

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 17:00 jdreyer

Creston wrote on May 5, 2014, 10:54:
SpectralMeat wrote on May 5, 2014, 10:49:
Creston wrote on May 5, 2014, 10:45:
SKYRIM!!!!!!
DayZ is the new Skyrim

NEVER!!!!!

(it still has about 16 months in the top ten to go before it can make that claim.)

Try more like 2 years.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 16:41 Fion

I've been playin the hell out of Dark Souls 2 myself, it's an addictive game. I'm a newbie to the series so I'm getting my ass kicked left and right but it's fun none the less.

The fail people are talking about is mouse support. Only MB1-3 are supported and unlike with keyboard you have to select from a number of pre-set buttons for mouse controls, most of which are M1-3, shift1-3, control 1-3, alt 1-3. It's a clear hold-over from controller. Added on to this is the input lag from mouse. If you hit the key for say 'right attack' and then use mouse, there is a clear latency of perhaps 150ms. That doesn't seam like much but in a game were quick timing is the difference between life and death.. it's a huge issue.

There is a work around for latency with an Autohotkey script around the web. It's a bit of a pain in the ass but many will consider it necessary. I also use my g700 software to set my 4 side and 3 top buttons to keyboard letters and map that in the game so thins like 'switch weapon' 'use item' 'heavy right/left attacks' are now easy to access.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 16:01 SpectralMeat

Yeah it seemed low for me as well, but they were claiming the game sold close to 17mill copies on the consoles and only 2~3 mill on the PC.
Even though all the media sources were reporting the PC version of Skyrim was outselling the console version by a large margin when the game came out.
I also doubt Skyrim still sells that well on the 360 or PS3, yet it still sells well on the PC.

Wish Steam would release some real numbers, not sure what's the point of hiding digital sales numbers.

Steam: SpectralMeat

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 15:59 ASeven

Steele Johnson wrote on May 5, 2014, 14:05:
ASeven wrote on May 5, 2014, 12:39:
Prison Architect is criminally fun. Anyone who loved the old tycoon games should get this one. Despite the theme the game really is fun to play. Perhaps the best tycoon game since Rollercoaster Tycoon 2.

I don't buy games that have been in alpha for years. Do you work for them or something?

Congrats, you win stupid comment of the day award. Enjoy!

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 15:37 HorrorScope

SpectralMeat wrote on May 5, 2014, 14:45:
Actually I don't think Skyrim sold a whole heck of a lot more units on the PC either. IIRC the reports were suggesting something like 3 million units sold on the PC.

Yeah that could be, it seems low. I would have thought more in the 6-7 million range, seems I know more people who have played that then Diablo 3. Funny how numbers go sometimes.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 15:37 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on May 5, 2014, 14:45:
HorrorScope wrote on May 5, 2014, 14:28:
SpectralMeat wrote on May 5, 2014, 10:49:
Creston wrote on May 5, 2014, 10:45:
SKYRIM!!!!!!
DayZ is the new Skyrim

Not all #1's have equal sales. For as long as Day Z has been #1, I've heard it has now sold 2 million. When you look at it that way, sometimes being #1 on steam isn't all that impressive.
Actually I don't think Skyrim sold a whole heck of a lot more units on the PC either. IIRC the reports were suggesting something like 3 million units sold on the PC.

Those reports were by a site that completely pulled those numbers out of its ass. They said that they aggregated data from Steam (who never gives out sales data), Zenimax (ditto for the PC) and unspecified "other sources."

Ie, we're just making shit up!

Steam has 1.5+ billion dollars of revenue every year (probably inching close to 2 billion by end of this year.) Match that with a title that's been in the top 10 for 20 months, and then somehow only sold 3 million copies. That math just doesn't add up.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo