Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week

Epic's Paul Meegan tweets a tease of something related to Unreal Tournament development next Thursday: "UE4 Dev Community + Epic. The future of Unreal Tournament. Tune in to http://www.Twitch.tv/UnrealEngine Thursday at 2pm ET." Responding to a comment about hopes for a new Unreal Tournament game, Mark Rein tweets an apparent confirmation that this is just that, saying "Yes UT coming back," and: "You want to know about the future of #UnrealTournament ? Tune in to http://www.Twitch.tv/UnrealEngine Thursday at 2pm ET." Stay tuned! Thanks DSOGaming.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 6, 2014, 06:47 InBlack

Fantaz wrote on May 6, 2014, 01:13:
InBlack wrote on May 5, 2014, 03:59:
The original UT was nice, but Q3A was better. There I said it. It needed to be said.

nah...

original Q1/QuakeWorld > Q3

Agreed. Also Doom2 > Q1/Quakeworld

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 6, 2014, 01:13 Fantaz

InBlack wrote on May 5, 2014, 03:59:
The original UT was nice, but Q3A was better. There I said it. It needed to be said.

nah...

original Q1/QuakeWorld > Q3

40. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 6, 2014, 00:29 LittleMe

I just hope they don't do the titan mode again. That was awful, but I'm sure casual players enjoyed it for a few hours. Those of us who want a hardcore UT3 game stayed away from it. Also several of the new maps were terrible even though they looked nice artistically.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

39. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 5, 2014, 03:59 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

38. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 22:41 MattyC

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 3, 2014, 06:55:
My concern is that the gameplay that made the original game so fun is just too dated now. I don't play competitive FPS games like I used to.

If the game is like the older titles you can always just game with bots.

37. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 22:24 eRe4s3r

Optional Nickname! wrote on May 3, 2014, 16:50:
In our day, we played Unreal Tournament with bilinear filtering or even none at all for the extra FPS. You kids and your fancy full screen anti-aliasing, Fie! Fie! Hard cheese to you.

I think you (eRe4s3r) understand that unless the engine has a high tick rate that we can also match to sustained minFPS and monitor refresh rate it will not play as Unreal Tournament no matter what the title is.

85FPS/85Hz is arguably optimum, any higher and you might need to put your pinkie back on the teacup or the horses might get excited.

Well as da LAN insta-gib master I actually do know what you mean ;p To me the delay on 60hz LCD is clearly noticeable and the tick-rates in recent games, which basically add a whopping 200ms on top of your ping in worst case just suck. And yes, I know 120hz doesn't bring me any advantages nowadays.... which is why I only have it because it's better for the eyes.

But why settle for inferior technology.. I wait for low persistence OLED ^^

But yeah, the low tickrate in modern shooters is one of the biggest scams ever to hit MP gaming. Todays shooters are not really comparable unless they have a tickrate above 50

And BF4
It's running 30 simulation steps per second, but each client connection has a send rate of 10 Hz

50hz send-rate is the absolute minimum for good experience. And you technically have to at least match the default frame-rate and refresh rates (60hz)

36. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 16:50 Optional Nickname!

In our day, we played Unreal Tournament with bilinear filtering or even none at all for the extra FPS. You kids and your fancy full screen anti-aliasing, Fie! Fie! Hard cheese to you.

I think you (eRe4s3r) understand that unless the engine has a high tick rate that we can also match to sustained minFPS and monitor refresh rate it will not play as Unreal Tournament no matter what the title is.

85FPS/85Hz is arguably optimum, any higher and you might need to put your pinkie back on the teacup or the horses might get excited.

35. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 14:15 jdreyer

BicycleRepairMan wrote on May 3, 2014, 04:02:
Please make the shock rifle satisfying. Taking out 2 people with a shock combo in UT99.. ooooooohyeah!

I was thinking that with games like Loadout and Borderlands providing thousands of procedurally generated guns, UT might want to go the same way. You could set a "weapon threshold number" for your map, and the guns would generate based on that number, with each part having a certain value. Guns with higher rates of fire or higher damage are off set by slower projectiles and lower accuracy, etc.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

34. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 14:10 jdreyer

[VG]Reagle wrote on May 3, 2014, 04:46:
And how about we dont have any of those stupid hovercraft?
Given that 80% of the game modes in UT don't have vehicles, not sure what you're complaining about.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

33. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 06:55 theyarecomingforyou

The original game was the best. Each subsequent release lost some of the magic and became more arcadey.

Given what we saw with the Deus Ex mock-up in UE4, now is probably the right time to be looking at a new UT game.

My concern is that the gameplay that made the original game so fun is just too dated now. I don't play competitive FPS games like I used to.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

32. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 06:07 netnerd85

[VG]Reagle wrote on May 3, 2014, 00:59:
nin wrote on May 2, 2014, 23:57:
Creston wrote on May 2, 2014, 22:31:
I actually thought UT got worse when they tried to become Quake 3. The original UT though, now THAT was a fucking awesome game.

Well said.

Amen Bro Amen....
Echo

31. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 05:38 Jerykk

I seriously doubt that this will be a new UT game. More likely that UT2004 or UT3 will go F2P like Quake Live.  

30. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 04:46 [VG]Reagle

And how about we dont have any of those stupid hovercraft?  
As of 06/12/2014 I will ONLY post positive messages. I am done trying to tell the truth about sucky games.

29. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 04:02 BicycleRepairMan

Please make the shock rifle satisfying. Taking out 2 people with a shock combo in UT99.. ooooooohyeah!  

28. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 00:59 [VG]Reagle

nin wrote on May 2, 2014, 23:57:
I actually thought UT got worse when they tried to become Quake 3. The original UT though, now THAT was a fucking awesome game.

Well said.

Amen Bro Amen....

As of 06/12/2014 I will ONLY post positive messages. I am done trying to tell the truth about sucky games.

27. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 00:57 eRe4s3r

Optional Nickname! wrote on May 2, 2014, 21:43:
You can't reproduce the success of UT2K+4, in any form, on an LCD screen.

LCD Screens and input lag destroy competitive, accurate, god-like, pixel-perfect, microsecond splitting, FPS gaming.

Argue this point to your disservice, signed,

"Boom. Headshot." - Doug

Which is why I am still gaming on an CRT 120hz and free AA

26. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 2, 2014, 23:57 nin

Well said.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 2, 2014, 23:44 DangerDog

Please no steroid induced character models.  

24. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 2, 2014, 23:28 Frijoles

Fantaz wrote on May 2, 2014, 19:19:
we all knew this was coming... UE4 engine needs a killer app from Epic Games, and the game industry already exhausted all new game IP/design ideas. everything's already been done.

I have no doubt a killer app will be coming in UE4. That engine is wonderful. There's probably quite a few shitty apps coming too though.

23. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 2, 2014, 23:25 NetHead

The original UT though, now THAT was a fucking awesome game.

UT99 wasn't fucking awesome, it was fucking mindlowingly incredible. The gameplay was flawless at the time and still stands up today but to top it off it was easily moddable and let you set things like game speed and even customise the bots.

UT2K4 was also solid, it just seemed to be lacking a little of the brutality of UT99 but it did have its improvements and somet shortcomings.

UT3, well from the very start it had serious problems which Epic just outright ignored or denied. To this day I still have problems with it saving my settings and have do a workaround. The way Epic handled the problems, bugs and criticism was utterly atrocious and was when I stopped giving a shit about them especially when they started crying about the game's poor performance and moaning about piracy and taking big shits all over the PC platform for what was their own doing and faults.

For them to pull off UT4 properly they would have to do so many things that would be counter to what's become the norm today. Fast brutal visceral gameplay, very modder friendly, be an actual PC game when on the PC platform, the list would be surprisingly big for a deathmatch shooter.

I think they could, or at least are in a position to pull it off since they don't have to answer to anyone, they may even have people with the talent and vision, though I wouldn't put money on it. Quite possible end up being something with a lot of unrealised potential, presuming it isn't some consoled F2P cluster of crap.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo