Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs

The Bethesda Blog offers a set of PC system requirements for Wolfenstein: The New Order, though these don't carry the expected label of minimum or recommended, though the seem to be the latter, as they say "These are the system requirements to deliver the PC game as it was intended to be experienced." Here's word on what it will take to run the upcoming alternate-history shooter:

64-bit Windows 7/Windows 8
Intel Core i7 or equivalent AMD
4 GB System RAM
50 GB free HDD space
GeForce 460, ATI Radeon HD 6850
High Speed Internet Connection
Steam account and activation required

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 5, 2014, 03:08 Jerykk

RAGE does look good... from a distance. The shortcomings of MegaTextures become all too apparent up close. In order to make MegaTextures look good up close, you have to have even bigger textures, resulting in ludicrous file sizes. Do the benefits of having completely unique textures for every surface outweigh the burden of huge file sizes? I'd say no. I think RAGE and Wolfenstein would look just as good (and probably better) if they used tiling textures due to the fact that tiled textures hold up a lot better up close. They would also require 5 times less HDD space.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 3, 2014, 06:11 netnerd85

Jerykk wrote on May 3, 2014, 05:36:
The idea is that the engine uses MegaTextures, which are gigantic but allow you to use a single texture for a whole environment, as opposed to numerous, smaller textures. The theoretical benefit is that you can avoid repetition and make every surface and detail look unique. The reality is that this uniqueness doesn't hold much value to most players and the textures look bad up close because they're being scaled up to cover huge areas. I imagine the textures in this game are even bigger than the ones in RAGE to help compensate for that shortcoming, hence the doubled HDD space requirement.

I really don't understand why anyone would choose to use id Tech 5 after the numerous issues it had in RAGE. Much like id Tech 4, it is a failure as an engine and should have died with the game that debuted it.
That is your opinion and I hold the opposite. Rage is a beautiful game that is truly unique. The texture repition issue of other games is disgusting, tiles, blah! The technology will only get better as technology does.

Hopefully it is put to good use in Wolf, we will have to wait and see.

40. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 3, 2014, 05:36 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 2, 2014, 16:16:
I'm all for high quality textures but RAGE was 25GB and it looked like ass - worse than any game with conventional texturing. The textures in the trailer for this don't look good at all, so I have no idea why it would need so much space.

If a game has 50GB worth of textures and looks better as a result then I'm all for it but it's an insult if the game looks bad.

The idea is that the engine uses MegaTextures, which are gigantic but allow you to use a single texture for a whole environment, as opposed to numerous, smaller textures. The theoretical benefit is that you can avoid repetition and make every surface and detail look unique. The reality is that this uniqueness doesn't hold much value to most players and the textures look bad up close because they're being scaled up to cover huge areas. I imagine the textures in this game are even bigger than the ones in RAGE to help compensate for that shortcoming, hence the doubled HDD space requirement.

I really don't understand why anyone would choose to use id Tech 5 after the numerous issues it had in RAGE. Much like id Tech 4, it is a failure as an engine and should have died with the game that debuted it.

39. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 3, 2014, 05:29 DG

TangledThorns wrote on May 2, 2014, 09:11:
The single player looks fun but I remember Return to Castle Wolfenstein had amazing multiplayer. I was playing the Beach map all day long!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-KEyPqOT6s
Best MP game evar

38. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 3, 2014, 03:55 [VG]Reagle

harlock wrote on May 2, 2014, 22:41:
[VG]Reagle wrote on May 2, 2014, 18:57:
You mean someone actually has windows 8 installed?

i use it at work

it sucks my balls

Truthfully its not good enough to suck your balls....

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

37. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 3, 2014, 02:37 netnerd85

Fantaz wrote on May 2, 2014, 14:58:
netnerd85 wrote on May 2, 2014, 09:17:
Either way, not giving any more money to ZeniMax after the latest bullshit, I mean... how low can they go.

...what did they do? the lawsuit thing with Facebook/OR guys? well that shouldn't really affect the games themselves.
Yeah, attacking one of the industries most honourable programmers is not something you every do in my book. Fucking scumbags in suits.

36. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 22:41 harlock

[VG]Reagle wrote on May 2, 2014, 18:57:

i use it at work

it sucks my balls

35. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 18:57 [VG]Reagle

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

34. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 18:09 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on May 2, 2014, 09:10:

"OMG I can't belef game takes 1/40th of drive" - ah-hahahahaha...

And to think of how many of us were ecstatic when we could do a "full" install of BG or BG2 when we got that larger HDD. No more slow CD load times!

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

33. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 17:41 Cram

Keeping my eye opened for one of those preorder deals that places like Green Men Gaming or Gamefly have; like Gamefly just had for Thief preorder at 25% off. I am pretty excited for the game, loved RtCW and Wolf 2009 single player campaigns. Played through both multiple times. Simple pleasures.  

32. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 16:31 Fantaz

50GB download?! jeebus...  

31. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 16:16 theyarecomingforyou

I'm all for high quality textures but RAGE was 25GB and it looked like ass - worse than any game with conventional texturing. The textures in the trailer for this don't look good at all, so I have no idea why it would need so much space.

If a game has 50GB worth of textures and looks better as a result then I'm all for it but it's an insult if the game looks bad.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

30. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 15:40 harlock

so im wondering if ridiculous texture file sizes are going to be the norm going forward or if someone is going to figure out some new compressions or something

50GB is not a quick download, and its a fair size footprint on a SSD..

reminds me of the early 00s era when DVDroms made install sizes balloon suddenly, and they took forever.. now 4K resolution comes along and supporting technology has to catch up again

29. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 15:21 Burrito of Peace

Orogogus wrote on May 2, 2014, 14:47:
I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be a copyright issue, it's technology and therefore patents and trade secrets.

I was speaking in general and the first thing that came to mind was the copyright system. However, you're correct and I've amended it to address all three.

28. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 15:03 jimnms

FloorPie wrote on May 2, 2014, 13:24:
deqer wrote on May 2, 2014, 09:49:
4GB of ram? wtf? Windows 7 can't even run properly with only 4GB of ram. It becomes sluggish quite quickly after you install everything like updates, drivers, software, and more.

I think you mean 2GB. That or what the heck are you running in the background all the time?

You're probably thinking of Vista. I ran Win7 on an 8 year old system that only had 2GB of RAM, and it ran just fine.

MeanJim on Steam

27. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 14:58 Fantaz

TangledThorns wrote on May 2, 2014, 09:11:
The single player looks fun but I remember Return to Castle Wolfenstein had amazing multiplayer. I was playing the Beach map all day long!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-KEyPqOT6s

me too! played a lot of that in the demo also.

netnerd85 wrote on May 2, 2014, 09:17:
Either way, not giving any more money to ZeniMax after the latest bullshit, I mean... how low can they go.

...what did they do? the lawsuit thing with Facebook/OR guys? well that shouldn't really affect the games themselves.

26. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 14:47 Orogogus

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 2, 2014, 14:38:
Beelzebud wrote on May 2, 2014, 14:10:
We live in a world where Zenimax/Bethesda owns Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Fallout, and are claiming they own the work John Carmack has done while working on VR tech for Facebook.

Obvious News Headline:
Major corporations expand their product portfolio by buying out smaller companies. They also aggressively protect their IP because of/due to the broken US Copyright system.

Film at 11.

I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be a copyright issue, it's technology and therefore patents and trade secrets.

25. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 14:38 Burrito of Peace

Beelzebud wrote on May 2, 2014, 14:10:
We live in a world where Zenimax/Bethesda owns Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Fallout, and are claiming they own the work John Carmack has done while working on VR tech for Facebook.

Obvious News Headline:
Major corporations expand their product portfolio by buying out smaller companies. They also aggressively protect their IP because of/due to the broken US Copyright/Patent/Trademark systems.

Film at 11.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2014, 15:20.

24. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 14:10 Beelzebud

Have a nice day.

23. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 13:37 nin

FloorPie wrote on May 2, 2014, 13:24:
deqer wrote on May 2, 2014, 09:49:
4GB of ram? wtf? Windows 7 can't even run properly with only 4GB of ram. It becomes sluggish quite quickly after you install everything like updates, drivers, software, and more.

I think you mean 2GB. That or what the heck are you running in the background all the time?

Hello Kitty Island Adventure, I suspect.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo