Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Hits $43 Million

Another mil, another letter, as there's a new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries website, celebrating the news that crowd-sourced funding for Star Citizen has now surpassed the $43 million plateau. Chairman Roberts offers an update on the Gladius light fighter for Squadron 42 that was the $42 million stretch goal for the space combat game. He then goes into detail about the combat armor every backer will receive thanks to hitting the $43 million mark, and announces their $45 million stretch goal, or sort-of announces it, since it is a "mystery object," which is a piece of a puzzle which players will have to compete to solve. Thanks MammonLord.

View
81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

81. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million May 1, 2014, 10:23 Quboid

True. The SP portion is what I'm most interested in, which can be said for most games. Perhaps the multiplayer will be OK, it remains to be seen.  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

80. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million May 1, 2014, 09:40 SpectralMeat

Quboid wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 13:59:
SpectralMeat, I've played P2W games and it makes all the difference. I'm not a spoilt child, I accept defeat in a fair fight but I don't fancy spending time or any real money to partake in an unfair one. Beating someone in their $2,000 ship would be nice but it's not going to happen - the only thing that will happen is that I'll have spent $40 to get my ass handed to me and I don't like the sound of that.

I was just joking with you man.
If SC is not your cup of tea than don't pay for it, or just play the SP portion. There will be plenty of space themed games like it out on the market soon anyways.
Fair fight in MP games these days are rare to find anyways, unless if you are playing with/against friends.

Steam: SpectralMeat

79. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million May 1, 2014, 07:39 theyarecomingforyou

Personally I'm quite intrigued by the idea of inequality in the game. Some have purchased large ships while others will earn them in-game, while others will be using much smaller and less well-equipped ships. In many respects that's like real life, where you rarely have equally matched armies.

The big equaliser is the organisation system. A squadron of smaller ships working together will be able to take down much larger ships. It will make the victories all the more rewarding. The last thing people want is everyone flying the same ships with the same capabilities, where every increase in firepower or shields is balanced by a decrease in maneuverability or speed.

I've created a Blue's News organisation for anyone interested in joining. There's no required commitment - people can commit as much or as little time as they like.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

78. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 30, 2014, 13:59 Quboid

Tumbler, thank you but I was aware of that. Better hardware and better internet connections can unbalance things but that's long been a fact of PC gaming and is unavoidable. This is a world away from a game being created that is apparently designed specifically to penalise those who don't spend as much. This isn't just avoidable, that's RSI going out of their way to force this by implementing the shop.

The Rock-Scissors-Paper nature of the ships could only make things worse. Not only does my rival have better ships, he has a selection of ships that he can pick from so my Rock always faces his Paper, not his Scissors.

I don't follow the WW2 example. I wouldn't have 5 Hurricanes, I'd have 1. I'd be the guy getting his ass kicked. Perhaps the matchmaking system will ensure a fair fight but I'd rather they didn't go out of their way to have unfair fights in the first place.

SpectralMeat, I've played P2W games and it makes all the difference. I'm not a spoilt child, I accept defeat in a fair fight but I don't fancy spending time or any real money to partake in an unfair one. Beating someone in their $2,000 ship would be nice but it's not going to happen - the only thing that will happen is that I'll have spent $40 to get my ass handed to me and I don't like the sound of that.

- Quboid

77. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 30, 2014, 13:38 SpectralMeat

Quboid wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 07:32:
If I'm beaten by someone who is better than me, fine. If I am beaten by someone who has spent more time building up their empire, fine. If I am beaten by someone who has broken out their credit card then the game's integrity is shot.
I don't think it makes any different in terms of what it feels like if you get your ass handed to you by someone who spent more money on the game or someone who is simply much better at the game than you.

But just imagine kick someone's ass that spent $2,000 on ships and virtual goodies with you little $40 weed whacker ship
Now that is satisfaction!

Steam: SpectralMeat

76. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 30, 2014, 13:31 Tumbler

Quboid wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 07:32:
If I'm beaten by someone who is better than me, fine. If I am beaten by someone who has spent more time building up their empire, fine. If I am beaten by someone who has broken out their credit card then the game's integrity is shot.

In almost any online game it's possible you're being beaten by someone because they spent more money...maybe you like being naive to that fact if possible but people can play games on faster computers (that cost more), people can buy faster internet connections than you (that cost more), people can buy stuff off ebay that gives them an advantage they would not otherwise have.

From the beginning CR and team have said they want a game that is balanced and not going to give anyone a win in every scenario. A Hornet might give you an advantage vs many ships but there will be ships that have an advantage over the hornet. (Hopefully) The hornet is a heavily armed ship compared to many other ships of that size. That means among other things you have a lot to lose flying a hornet. An Avenger by comparison is a smaller ship, faster, not as well armed and costs significantly less. 1 Hornet vs 2 Avengers is essentially a fair fight on that front. 4 Aurora's (possibly 5) is a fair fight vs a Hornet. Depending on how those engagements go that can be tweaked but that is what I'm hoping the Matchmaking system will do.

I don't expect the Hornet to be strong enough to blow through 5 Aurora's or 2 Avengers without a lot of luck, I expect the Hornet to be useful in situations where it can exploit it's advantage which is a 1v1 vs an Avenger or 300i or even a 1v2 Aurora's. (maybe even 3) If the value of ships are factored into the matchmaking system it's going to be pretty funny to see Hornet Pilots find themselves facing 4-5 Aurora's or 2+ 300i's / Avengers. People expecting to get easy kills I hope will find themselves very upset.

The relationship of planes in world war 2 is hopefully a good example. If you're flying a Hurricane and you run into a FW-190 you're going to get your ass kicked. (FW-190 is a FAR better plane) But if you run into 5 Hurricane's you better watch your ass if you're going to attack. The cost of those planes to each country might be comparable so they might be an even match.

That will hopefully be something we see in the DFM, the matchmaking and how the game is going to give people in a 30,000 UEC ship a chance vs a person is a 100,000 UEC ship. (let alone the value of improved weapons)

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

75. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 30, 2014, 07:32 Quboid

Tumbler wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 22:43:
If there is a cash shop the only thing they sell is UEC which is the currency of the game. I don't think most people consider that a cash shop.

You will be able to buy whatever you want with UEC inside the game.

Then it's a cash shop with a currency exchange. I convert my currency when I buy fuel for my car too, that's still ultimately using my native currency to buy stuff.

That you can buy everything in-game without spending a penny doesn't stop it from being pay to win. If I am in combat with someone else and I have even a suspicion that they've benefited from spending more real money than I have, then pay to win is seriously damaging the game.

- Quboid

74. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 30, 2014, 04:22 Fantaz

Sepharo wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 18:16:
BobBob wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:04:
http://youtu.be/ETxmCCsMoD0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXE_n2q08Yw

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country. Sorry about that. :\"

73. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 30, 2014, 02:54 saluk

Tumbler wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 16:59:
saluk wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 15:21:
I can't wait to try out my combat armor! Woo! And that "mystery object" sounds amazing. Whatever could it be? I hope I win the prize. Chris Roberts I adore you!

The mystery object has been revealed! And you can still earn it if you jump in before we hit 45,000,000!

Hadesian Artifact – The mystery of what happened in Hades has been one of the great archeological puzzles ever since the system was discovered in the early 26th Century. The evidence suggests that the Hadesians nearly erased their entire civilization in devastating civil war that left a planet cracked in half, but so many questions remained. Who were these Hadesians? How did the war get started? Over the centuries, even the public became enamored by the mystery of this system. This curiosity was inflamed when scientists recently discovered a lone Hadesian artifact on the black market of all places. Trinket manufacturers quickly tried to capitalize on the resurgence of interest by building exact copies of the artifact for sale to the public, even replicating the unidentified symbols along the base…

I recommend this one for people who don't want to over commit. You'll also need this to get access to the DFM and you'll need additional passes to see other modules before release. (Planetside and Social...whatever those mean) Total is about $50 currently, you could go down to $45 with the ship package and pass but I think the $5 upgrade for the LN model is a no brainer. That thing has more guns and better missiles and you'll want those if you're going to fly against people in Hornet's. (You are...and you are probably going to get your ass handed to you.)

1) Already have alpha access (original backer)
2) Wasn't serious

but
3) Thanks anyway

72. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 30, 2014, 01:15 jdreyer

[VG]Reagle wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 22:30:
he did us up the chute boyz ............SERIOUSLY UP THEEEEEEEEEEE CHUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE>

LEAN OVER ROBERTS DIUD US>.............

Okay, I admit that cracked me up.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

71. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 30, 2014, 00:10 SlimRam

The ONLY THING that BETTER be in the Cash Shop is.... You KNOW what it is...

In super secret decoder ring text:

Space Burrito Surprise!

I'm bringing Sexy Back

Luckily, I kept the receipt

70. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 23:24 Creston

Beamer wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:01:
How do these topics keep going this long? Haven't both sides discussed any possible speculation long past death?

What else is there to talk about?

69. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 22:43 Tumbler

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 19:08:
And, of course, there'll be the cash shop where, in addition to other game related stuff, you can buy the in-game currency UEC for real money. There are certainly more than enough tards in the world who will be using that shortcut to buy bigger ships, buggies, hangar fishtanks, guns, spoilers, bling-bling, dashboard crapola and all the useless shit that money can buy.

If there is a cash shop the only thing they sell is UEC which is the currency of the game. I don't think most people consider that a cash shop.

You will be able to buy whatever you want with UEC inside the game. There might be things earned outside the game (from things like a subscription) that are cosmetic and won't be for sale in the game but they haven't said for sure you won't be able to buy those same things with UEC on launch.

Basically everything they are selling today is going to be possible to buy in the game through gameplay once the game launches. I wouldn't be surprised if things like the Towel and the mystery object and the nic naks you earn from a sub now aren't available but they could be.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

68. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 22:30 [VG]Reagle

he did us up the chute boyz ............SERIOUSLY UP THEEEEEEEEEEE CHUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE>

LEAN OVER ROBERTS DIUD US>.............

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

67. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 19:08 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:55:
Quboid wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:47:
There are subscriptions? Not just that, but the subscriptions are for nothing? Hmm.

Has he stated unequivocally anywhere that there won't be a monthly fee for multiplayer? Because if I was a bettin' man I'd bet very heavily there will be. You better hope against hope the SP portion of the game fucking rocks your socks because I'm for thinkin' the MP portion of it is going to be heavy P2W monthly-sub MMO shite. Don't be surprised when those "personal" servers disappear.

Yes, he has denied monthly subs but it would by far not be the first and only promise that goes out the window so it ain't worth shit.
The fanbois will accept any excuse like "sorry we had to because of the increased scope of the game and higher infrastructure expenses blabla". There are enough people on the official forums who would let Chris Roberts shit on their head and thank him for keeping them warm.

With that said, I don't think they'll ever need mandatory subs. They said they would probably keep optional subs going for people who wanted to give a little extra each month but if you look at this game's pledging history all they need is a few ship sales every now and then to keep things going.
And, of course, there'll be the cash shop where, in addition to other game related stuff, you can buy the in-game currency UEC for real money. There are certainly more than enough tards in the world who will be using that shortcut to buy bigger ships, buggies, hangar fishtanks, guns, spoilers, bling-bling, dashboard crapola and all the useless shit that money can buy.

66. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 18:16 Sepharo

BobBob wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:04:
http://youtu.be/ETxmCCsMoD0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXE_n2q08Yw

65. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 17:55 Cutter

Quboid wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:47:
There are subscriptions? Not just that, but the subscriptions are for nothing? Hmm.

Has he stated unequivocally anywhere that there won't be a monthly fee for multiplayer? Because if I was a bettin' man I'd bet very heavily there will be. You better hope against hope the SP portion of the game fucking rocks your socks because I'm for thinkin' the MP portion of it is going to be heavy P2W monthly-sub MMO shite. Don't be surprised when those "personal" servers disappear.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

64. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 17:52 Luke

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:09:
ALL YOU HATERS ARE GONNA WEEP BLOOD WHEN STAR CITIZEN THE DFM COMES OUT AND IT'S THE BEST GAME DEMO THAT HAS EVER BEEN MADE!!!!
Or not. It may absolutely suck or be lukewarm at best. I don't care. I AM KAISER SOZE!

I am pretty sure you will wake up some day Book

63. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 17:47 Quboid

- Quboid

62. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 17:35 CJ_Parker

Kosumo wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:07:
Hold up, they are sell a monthly $10 sub already as well? OMG - I'm stunned.

They've been offering a $10 (Centurion) and $20 (Imperator) sub since before the KS campaign even ended. People who subbed on day 1 have nearly 18 months of sub time on their account by now.

In the beginning it was advertised as a way to support the game development in small chunks instead of one bigger payment which many people supposedly asked for because they could not afford larger sums.

Today it is instead marketed as only contributing to the marketing budget, PR, Wingman's Hangar web show, Jump Point magazine and other community related stuff.

It was one of those silent changes where they went from "hey subscribe now because we can really use every cent to improve the game" to "thanks for paying for Wingman's Hangar".

I actually was a subscriber once but cancelled my sub when I realized that none of my sub money was any longer considered as a contribution to the game but only to "community content" (= advertising). I feel sorry for all the poor idiots who didn't get the memo and who are now solely paying for advertising the game.

81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo