Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Is Destiny Destined for PCs?

Bungie has made some comments on why they are not currently creating a PC edition of Destiny, their upcoming first-person shooter. "It's pretty complicated," design lead Lars Bakken told Eurogamer.net during a studio tour. "That doesn't mean it can't happen in the future, it just means it won't happen right now." None of what follows actually seems that complicated, as he describes how they are stretching their resources to release it on all the console systems they've targeted, and while he says "we care a lot about the PC," he straightforwardly says the "console SKUs are really important for us and that's what we're focusing on."

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

96. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 30, 2014, 18:00 Prez

I remember levels like "The Library" (I think) being a nightmare, with you only knowing if you were going the right way because you had new The Flood to fight, and The Flood sucked.

I actually didn't mind the Flood - I thought it was a cool change of pace - but the library was awful because of of the recycled architectured and textures. It could have been SO much better.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

95. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 30, 2014, 17:29 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 17:25:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 16:52:
Beamer wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 10:37:
I still don't care what the popular opinion is/was, Halo PC multiplayer was significantly better than whichever Unreal Tournament came out at the same time. Its vehicles are still my favorite in any online shooter.

Wow. Just, wow. I don't even know what to say to that. UT2K4 was a revelation. Halo looked and played like crap in comparison, being more than 3 years old by then and console-y.

More than 3 years old? It was one. It came out in 2002 for console and 2003 for PC. And it was more innovative. The vehicles in UT were terrible and the weapons/modes were just a slight evolution. Sticky grenades and the warthog alone made it a more entertaining game to me.

Yes, I know it's an unpopular opinion, but like I said, I disliked that Unreal. It just didn't feel very good. And didn't it still have some stupid clown?

I thought Halo came to PC in 2004, but it was 2003. Halo was released on xbox in 2001. From WP: "The first game of the Halo franchise, it was released on November 15, 2001." So 2 years old.

Clown? No idea.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

94. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 30, 2014, 17:27 jdreyer

Orogogus wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 16:57:
I still don't care what the popular opinion is/was, Halo PC multiplayer was significantly better than whichever Unreal Tournament came out at the same time. Its vehicles are still my favorite in any online shooter.

Wow. Just, wow. I don't even know what to say to that. UT2K4 was a revelation. Halo looked and played like crap in comparison, being more than 3 years old by then and console-y.

He could be talking about UT2K3 rather than 4.

Could be. Halo came out for PC on Sep 30, 2003, so UT2003 had been out for 8 months or something and was the current UT. UT2003 had a rough launch, but it had been extensively patched by the time Halo came out and was still way better than Halo. User score on Metacritic for UT is 8.3 vs. 7.2 for Halo (not the end all be all by any means). Eye of the beholder and all that I guess.

UT2K4 came out on Feb 11 2004, just a few months after Halo.

93. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 30, 2014, 17:25 Beamer

More than 3 years old? It was one. It came out in 2002 for console and 2003 for PC. And it was more innovative. The vehicles in UT were terrible and the weapons/modes were just a slight evolution. Sticky grenades and the warthog alone made it a more entertaining game to me.

Yes, I know it's an unpopular opinion, but like I said, I disliked that Unreal. It just didn't feel very good. And didn't it still have some stupid clown?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

92. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 30, 2014, 16:57 Orogogus

He could be talking about UT2K3 rather than 4.

91. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 30, 2014, 16:52 jdreyer

90. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 30, 2014, 15:21 Beamer

Prez wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 10:57:
What bothered me about Halo so much was how such a potentially great PC game suffered because of being a console game. The recycled textures (used because of the Xbox's limited memory) were so bad that they had to put arrows on the floor otherwise you wouldn't realize you were heading back the way you came for several minutes because everything looked exactly the same. Otherwise I thought the game was brilliant for its time.

I don't remember arrows on the floor. As a result, I remember levels like "The Library" (I think) being a nightmare, with you only knowing if you were going the right way because you had new The Flood to fight, and The Flood sucked.

But multiplayer was magnificent.

-------------

89. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 30, 2014, 10:57 Prez

What bothered me about Halo so much was how such a potentially great PC game suffered because of being a console game. The recycled textures (used because of the Xbox's limited memory) were so bad that they had to put arrows on the floor otherwise you wouldn't realize you were heading back the way you came for several minutes because everything looked exactly the same. Otherwise I thought the game was brilliant for its time.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

88. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 30, 2014, 10:37 Beamer

-------------

87. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 30, 2014, 10:05 Prez

Why be mad at Bungie? They did what any small game company would do when an industry giant waved a massive check in their faces. Microsoft decided to slight PC gamers, not Bungie.

At this point this decision is probably based on the realization that they really aren't relevant in the PC space any longer as much as anything and it would be dicey to try to bring a new property to the PC at this point. If the game is a huge hit on consoles I would expect that it would make it to PC eventually, barring any exclusivity deals I don't know about of course.

- Mahatma Gandhi

86. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 30, 2014, 07:07 Redmask

Kevin Lowe wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 20:47:
I don't know if you read the rest of this thread, but the consensus is pretty negative.

It's the internet, the land of minority opinions. I don't see any consensus here, like anywhere else people rarely agree on anything.

85. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 30, 2014, 01:22 jdreyer

Kevin Lowe wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 20:47:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 19:28:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 15:52:
Isn't that self-contradictory, though? I mean, if it's boring and derivative, than why would you buy it? And if you don't buy it, then where is the money on the table coming from?

I'm not the sole PC audience for this game. There are lots of people out there who ARE excited for it, and happen to prefer/be exclusive PC gamers.
I don't know if you read the rest of this thread, but the consensus is pretty negative.

We slagged the shit out of Simcity and BF4 on this site, and they both sold millions on PC. So not sure Blues is necessarily representative of PC gaming as a whole. That being said, there were some in this thread who were looking forward to it.

84. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 29, 2014, 21:42 djinn

Isn't that self-contradictory, though? I mean, if it's boring and derivative, than why would you buy it? And if you don't buy it, then where is the money on the table coming from?

COD is derivative. COD makes millions.

[edit] though I gotta say, there's some interesting aspects to Destiny. I'll reserve my own judgement till the game is out

83. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 29, 2014, 20:47 Kevin Lowe

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 19:28:

I'm not the sole PC audience for this game. There are lots of people out there who ARE excited for it, and happen to prefer/be exclusive PC gamers.

82. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 29, 2014, 19:28 jdreyer

81. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 29, 2014, 16:19 yuastnav

Watched a video of it. *shrug* Looks okay.
Not something I'd pay a monthly fee for. Maybe a sale.

Though since I only play on PC good riddance.

80. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 29, 2014, 15:52 Kevin Lowe

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 14:34:
InBlack wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 09:10:
Verno wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 08:59:
It seems like such a natural fit for the PC, I don't know why they're leaving money on the table like this. It looks almost like a mash up of WoW and Halo which would be quite lucrative and I mean if you're making an MMO you do it on the PC because thats where the market is. Bizarre choices.

If anyone read the article there is this little tidbit:

Parsons also said creating and releasing a PC version of Bungie's shared world shooter would not be as easy as many believe, because all versions of the game connect to the same persistent video game world, which itself extends to multiple platforms

And...there you have it. There is no way, no way in hell that Microsoft or Sony would allow a crossplatform game that would be playable on a mouse+keyboard combo on a large scale. As soon as the brotards got a taste of PC pwnage the outrcy would be the biggest PR disaster of the decade...

I'm sure they could make a PC-only instance quickly and easily. Like Vern said, money on the table, but as I pointed out earlier, Bungie has a history of doing that, and they don't seem to mind.

Not that I care. This looks boring and derivative. So, perfect for consoles!

79. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 29, 2014, 14:34 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 09:10:
Verno wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 08:59:
It seems like such a natural fit for the PC, I don't know why they're leaving money on the table like this. It looks almost like a mash up of WoW and Halo which would be quite lucrative and I mean if you're making an MMO you do it on the PC because thats where the market is. Bizarre choices.

If anyone read the article there is this little tidbit:

Parsons also said creating and releasing a PC version of Bungie's shared world shooter would not be as easy as many believe, because all versions of the game connect to the same persistent video game world, which itself extends to multiple platforms

And...there you have it. There is no way, no way in hell that Microsoft or Sony would allow a crossplatform game that would be playable on a mouse+keyboard combo on a large scale. As soon as the brotards got a taste of PC pwnage the outrcy would be the biggest PR disaster of the decade...

I'm sure they could make a PC-only instance quickly and easily. Like Vern said, money on the table, but as I pointed out earlier, Bungie has a history of doing that, and they don't seem to mind.

Not that I care. This looks boring and derivative. So, perfect for consoles!

78. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 29, 2014, 13:38 Creston

Shit, fellas, snip shit when you quote, please. Especially if it goes 70000000000000000000 comments deep.  

77. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 29, 2014, 12:24 Kevin Lowe

Frags4Fun wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 11:42:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 11:33:
Frags4Fun wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 11:29:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 11:14:
Frags4Fun wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 09:23:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 18:40:
Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 18:34:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 18:20:
Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 17:57:
Psssh. We're Bungie. We're so used to fucking you PC guys that we could care less at this point. Buy a console, you scrubs!
In what way has Bungie "fucked" you? What specific harm was inflicted?

You mean other than taking a PC game and hyping it for years and then deciding it was instead an Xbox exclusive? Only to release it years later as a shitty port? Or making the sequel not only years later than the Xbox version, again, but ALSO making it so you had to have Vista to play it?
Yeah, but what did you actually lose? Did a game you already had purchased disappear from your library?

All of us PC gamers who followed the game for years wasted a lot of time. Time is our most precious resource, is it not? So yes, we did lose something.
That's a sunk cost. No matter what happened, you weren't getting that time back.

That's true, but it certainly gives us a legit reason to avoid paying attention to anything from Bungie. Are you an apologist, because you are starting to sound like one?
I just disagree with the attitude of entitlement. You give them your $60, they give you a copy of the game and a license to use it, end of transaction. Bungie doesn't owe any group of gamers anything, nor vice versa.

Oh, so you are an apologist. Thanks for clearing that up.

Edit: BTW, I don't feel that Bungie owes me anything. At the same time, I don't owe them anything either. They did betray a lot of people and for that, I, and many others, will never forget. That's not entitlement, that's learning from being burned in the past and doing others the courtesy of warning them of a potential burn.
If they didn't owe you anything, then how were you betrayed?

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo