Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Thanks for all the anniversary well-wishing!

Avoiding spoilers for anyone who has not seen this season of Game of Thrones, I was pleasantly surprised to see how quickly it was revealed who did "it," as the party behind the show's most recent huge plot twist was revealed last night. I got (or GoT) this one correct right from the start, as when it went down I knew who to pin it on, though this did not take a lot of detective work, as their motive seemed so apparent. I would feel cleverer if I had immediately figured out who helped physically carry out the act, but that didn't strike me until the beginning of last week's episode made it obvious.

Guilty Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Hero of Inferno.
Frantic Planes.
Links: Cold War Spy-Satellite Images Unveil Lost Cities. Thanks HARDOCP.
Stories: Zack Snyder To Direct The Justice League. Thanks nin.
Media: Watch a Pro Golfer Knock a Drone From the Sky With One Golf Ball.
The Funnies: xkcd: Google Announcement.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2014, 07:42 InBlack

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 12:19:
Haven't read the books, I would like to though. Have a friend who read them all and told him not to spoil it for me, but I gave him my predictions going forward. By his body language I am about 75% right. Not bad....

After Sunday's ep, where exactly are we in the books?

Generally, about 3/4 of the way through the third book.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2014, 15:53 PHJF

Especially as we still dont know for sure who killed Arryn (remember him?)

We do know that. Lysa did it.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2014, 12:19 xXBatmanXx

Haven't read the books, I would like to though. Have a friend who read them all and told him not to spoil it for me, but I gave him my predictions going forward. By his body language I am about 75% right. Not bad....

After Sunday's ep, where exactly are we in the books?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2014, 11:42 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 10:23:
BitWraith wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 10:02:
I have a theory that they know at this point that the books are going to lag far behind the show. So, the show guys are having to forge their own path so that they can finish the show their own way. The final book will probably come out after the show finale.

It's just a theory, though. I got nothin to back it up.

Martin gave them a rough guideline of where he wants to go with the books already. Your theory will almost certainly pan out, he has extremely poor work habits.

If you look at his bibliography, he wrote a lot of books, but there are gaps in stories and books. oh well. I don't have a problem with it - we don't even have HL3 yet.

Just seems to be increasing gaps in his books:
?
?

And he does a lot in those other years. Good for him. To me there is always the worry of the author rushing it and the quality deteriorating.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2014, 11:47.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2014, 11:41 xXBatmanXx

Finally got to watch it late last night, had to avoid this thread all day. Nothing in the episode surprised me - I had it pegged. I assumed the walkers did that, just didn't think they did it that way. Very cool. Kind of a boring episode though.....  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2014, 09:43 Mad Max RW

There's enough content in Isaac Asimov's Foundation series to last quite a few seasons (potentially decades' worth) if HBO wanted to go scifi. Every few years someone talks about doing a film and there's no logical way they can cut it down enough for even a trilogy and remain faithful to the source material.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2014, 09:02 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 05:17:
Cutter wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 16:48:
I've always wanted someone to take a stab at doing Roger Zelazny's Amber series. HBO could do it justice. Do me a favour and talk to the head of programming and see if you can't make that happen.
Fuck yes. I offer the full use of Cutter's body in whatever way necessary to ensure this comes into being. Allthumbsup
Certainly they could make it, the obvious question is can they find someone who can do it well? I fear the chance of a good series vs. a bad one would be 50/50 at best.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2014, 05:17 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 16:48:
I've always wanted someone to take a stab at doing Roger Zelazny's Amber series. HBO could do it justice. Do me a favour and talk to the head of programming and see if you can't make that happen.

Fuck yes. I offer the full use of Cutter's body in whatever way necessary to ensure this comes into being.

Allthumbsup

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2014, 05:02 InBlack

Watched the episode last night. Wasnt too bad, I kind of like the fact that they are showing stuff not yet revealed (hinted at maybe) in the books, although the whodunit with regards to Joffrey's killing was lame. Especially as we still dont know for sure who killed Arryn (remember him?) we are still uncertain about Jon's mother (although there are major hints in the series as well as the books) and most importantly Melissandre's badly interpreted prophecy is still a major mystery.

I kind of realize why they had to change Bran's and Jon's story but as long as the stories eventually play out as they do in the books its all good. Makes for a more interesting watch for the book readers which I believe is the main reason they went ahead and did it this way.

I have a nifty blue line!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2014, 02:53 shul

spoilers:
nice to see we, the book readers are in the same status as the TV watchers now. I don't think the series will ruin the books, and I'm pretty sure Brans story will conclude as in the books.

The link someone posted above is excellent, if you don't mind spoilers it connects stories in the books to this last episode. I learned or re-learned some stuff and it does seem the baby stuff has some bases in the books... interested to see where this goes!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2014, 01:36 ForgedReality

Frantic Planes

FUCK THIS MOTHERFUCKING SON OF A BITCH GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:\

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2014, 21:55 Creston

Fion wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 11:08:
I rather dislike that the show revealed who did it. The books have only ever hinted at the culprit or culprits. Which lead to lively debate among fans IRL and on the web.

Really? It has been AGES since I read the book, but isn't it pretty clear who did it? I'd post who, but I don't want to get spoiler complained at again.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2014, 17:34 PropheT

Fion wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 11:08:
I rather dislike that the show revealed who did it. The books have only ever hinted at the culprit or culprits. Which lead to lively debate among fans IRL and on the web.

And yes, the story has changed from the book quite significantly with this episode. I do wonder where they are going with it and why the change was made. Just so they could reveal a (not even in the books) BBEG? Martin releases a new book every 4-6 years and it's been just under 3 years since Book 4. So it's entirely possible Book 5 will hit before they are done with Book 3 & 4 on the show.

6. Book 5 is the one that came out a few years ago.

I don't watch the show (I've seen 2 seasons, and a couple of other episodes since, and don't know what they revealed yet), but my impression was always that it didn't really matter who killed him. It was inevitable, and by the time it happened it just didn't matter a great deal who actually did it or even why as long as it was done.

I am a bit dismayed by the fact that a series of books that I started 15 years ago is likely to be spoiled by the TV show, all but guaranteeing I never finish reading them. Assuming the series ever actually finishes in print, that is.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2014, 16:48 Cutter

Verno wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 15:24:
Cutter wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 15:13:
The casting for GoT really is almost perfect all around. Now if George would just get the fucking next book out and series wrapped up sometime before the next decade and/or he snuffs it then all will be well.

Yeah I tend to agree. Their choices for the show rekindled my interest in some of the characters from the books. Whoever does the casting deserves some major kudos. The whole production is pretty incredible now that I think about it, I can only hope HBO throws some money at an original sci-fi series sometime too.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2014, 16:17 Mad Max RW

Last month Martin was talking about transitioning into a film franchise to end the series as well as a prequel movie.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2014, 15:24 Verno

Cutter wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 15:13:
The casting for GoT really is almost perfect all around. Now if George would just get the fucking next book out and series wrapped up sometime before the next decade and/or he snuffs it then all will be well.

Yeah I tend to agree. Their choices for the show rekindled my interest in some of the characters from the books. Whoever does the casting deserves some major kudos. The whole production is pretty incredible now that I think about it, I can only hope HBO throws some money at an original sci-fi series sometime too.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2014, 15:13 Frags4Fun

BitWraith wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 15:04:
Frags4Fun wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 14:32:
I'm starting to wonder if HBO will ever complete GoT. The show has gotten more and more expensive every season and they originally planned for 20 seasons. Seems to me that they might just shit-can it in 2 or 3 years. I'm still annoyed/angry that they killed Deadwood so maybe that's where my fear stems from. I hope that I'm wrong but they certainly appear to be speeding things up.

The number I have seen is 8 seasons. They can't drag things out too much - the kids are growing faster than they can shoot.

I read somewhere that HBO had originally promised George 20 seasons but they had changed their plans. Maybe I'm not remembering it correctly. After a quick Google search, it appears that my memory is not as good as it used to be. Seven seasons is what is planned for.

I was thinking the same thing about the kids growing up too fast. It's another reason why I fear that they won't ever finish it properly. I was laughing when Hodor was carrying Bran a couple episodes back. Bran is almost the size of a full grown man now so it kind of screws things up. Maybe they should have started with younger actors.

The people making the show are running into all sorts of trouble and it's making me wonder what will happen.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2014, 15:20.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2014, 15:13 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2014, 15:04 BitWraith

Frags4Fun wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 14:32:
I'm starting to wonder if HBO will ever complete GoT. The show has gotten more and more expensive every season and they originally planned for 20 seasons. Seems to me that they might just shit-can it in 2 or 3 years. I'm still annoyed/angry that they killed Deadwood so maybe that's where my fear stems from. I hope that I'm wrong but they certainly appear to be speeding things up.

The number I have seen is 8 seasons. They can't drag things out too much - the kids are growing faster than they can shoot.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2014, 14:32 Frags4Fun

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo