Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen "Coming Together"

A new "Arena Commander Weekly Report" on the Roberts Space Industries catches us up on the latest plans for Star Citizen, the upcoming space combat game. the update features dogfight producer Travis Day updating us on the state of design, engineering, art, and more. He offers some internal bragging rights, saying: "We’ve noticed from our cross-studio playtesting on the backend that Santa Monica has, without question, the best dogfighters in the company." He also makes the game sound closer to completion than suspected, saying: "This is one of my favorite points in any project as you approach a release and start to see all the pieces coming together and aligning to the cohesive vision." Thanks 88fingers.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. Re: Star Citizen Apr 28, 2014, 17:01 Kosumo

"They changed their plans and decided to do it in one pass and release both SP and MP together. "

Or they just can't manage their project and hit their milestones when they believe they would.

The next reason will be that they are waiting to release it until they have the AI up to speed.

Meanwhile, they will happly charge the price of a new release AAA title just for a virtual in game item, and some will pay many times that even before it's released.

I hope Star Citizens are cool with them changing their plans, cos I think it's gonna happen a lot more.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: Star Citizen Apr 28, 2014, 06:09 SpectralMeat

Prez wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 08:48:
Tons of bickering, name-calling, and negativity... must be a Star Citizen thread on Bluesnews!
Yep some of the most entertaining ones to read

Steam: SpectralMeat

63. Re: Star Citizen Apr 28, 2014, 03:07 CJ_Parker

Nom4d wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 06:13:
Iurand wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 05:24:
Kosumo wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 05:20:
Iurand wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 05:17:
Flatline wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 19:19:
Bullshit we're what, 6 months past when we were supposed to have the multiplayer dogfight module?

4 months past when we were supposed to have the singleplayer dogfight module.

If it was a singleplayer dogfight module, why was the netcode the hold up?

They changed their plans and decided to do it in one pass and release both SP and MP together.

In addition to that, Chris Robberts adressed the delay in a letter saying since the expectations for the Dogfighting Module(DFM) were so high, he'd rather spend some more time on it along with making the netcode 'future proof'. So instead of hacking something together that would only work for the DFM, the netcode is already usable for future modules as well. That and the Cryengine netcode in it's default state is just not adequate for what the DFM and by extension Star Citizen needs.

Come on, guys. Let's finally put an end to regurgitating one of Roberts' most obvious lies. It's bad enough that the Church of Roberts cultists at the official forums keep repeating that line.

The truth of the matter is that shit all across the board was simply not finished yet in December. The exterior models were not finished and neither were the interiors, the HUD was work in progress, all of the spacecraft systems still needed a lot of work (essential stuff like being able to target people and stuff like that), whatever they had that was actually working at the time was in need of major bug fixing and the list goes on.

The net code was one in a million items (admittedly a crucial one, of course) that still needed to be addressed. And just a quick memo: We still don't have a date for the DFM release. It was originally supposed to be out in December, then "late March, early April" (Roberts in MMORPG.com interview), then "shortly" after PAX and now [to be continued...]?

62. Re: Star Citizen Apr 28, 2014, 02:22 harlock

did a bunch of comments get deleted?  

61. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 13:59 verybad1

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 11:03:
Redmask wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 10:06:
Flo wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 08:21:
I doubt that SC is "coming together" the same way Elite: Dangerous is coming together.

Why?
It doesn't matter as it's not even a sensible comparison. Elite: Dangerous is a very basic game with a fraction of the depth or graphical fidelity. It's like comparing Pong to Far Cry 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM&feature=kp

Until they're both actually games, it's rather hard to make that assertion with any real basis.

I am making a game where you start as a microbe in a pool, you evolve and eventually become a sentient creature you can go out into space and conquer the universe.

Remember that?

Right now, Star Citizen makes a lot of clames, but it could very, very easily become a complete fail. Seen plenty before right?

Elite Dangerous is trying to do less, but it is trying to do it very well (or so it claims), what we end up with on either games is still not determined however.

60. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 11:03 theyarecomingforyou

Redmask wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 10:06:
I doubt that SC is "coming together" the same way Elite: Dangerous is coming together.

Why?
It doesn't matter as it's not even a sensible comparison. Elite: Dangerous is a very basic game with a fraction of the depth or graphical fidelity. It's like comparing Pong to Far Cry 3.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

59. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 10:06 Redmask

Why?

58. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 08:48 Prez

Tons of bickering, name-calling, and negativity... must be a Star Citizen thread on Bluesnews!

Seriously though while I can understand the reservations people have, it's definitely worth mentioning that Chris Roberts is NOT Peter Molyneux. He delivers what he promises. From what I've seen the game is coming together pretty nicely. The boring videos notwithstanding (ones that he is only putting out because of the unique situation of needing to deliver a continuous stream of updates because of kickstarter), I really am starting to get the sense that this game, while sure to be somewhat of a mess on release - how can a game this ambitious not be? - is going to end being exactly what he said it would eventually. I'm not completely sold yet, but I am far more optimistic than I was a year ago.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

57. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 08:21 Flo

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

56. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 06:13 Nom4d

Iurand wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 05:24:
Bullshit we're what, 6 months past when we were supposed to have the multiplayer dogfight module?

They changed their plans and decided to do it in one pass and release both SP and MP together.

In addition to that, Chris Robberts adressed the delay in a letter saying since the expectations for the Dogfighting Module(DFM) were so high, he'd rather spend some more time on it along with making the netcode 'future proof'. So instead of hacking something together that would only work for the DFM, the netcode is already usable for future modules as well. That and the Cryengine netcode in it's default state is just not adequate for what the DFM and by extension Star Citizen needs.

55. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 05:24 Iurand

54. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 05:21 Iurand

Creston wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 01:03:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 18:48:
I just don't have much confidence in ANYTHING kickstarter or publicly funded. Nothing has had polish thus far.

? Really? What's wrong with Shadowrun Returns? Or Wasteland 2? Or Broken Age?

He never seen them.

53. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 05:20 Kosumo

52. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 05:19 Kosumo

Fibrocyte wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 04:49:
I just don't have much confidence in ANYTHING kickstarter or publicly funded. Nothing has had polish thus far.

You have to understand that Cutter, xXBatmanXx, and apparently [VR]Reagle are some of the stupidest people on the internet. Save your time and energy and don't respond to them with logical questions.

That's right, they are 'some of', but the most stupid can be found over at Chris Robert websites, giving him hundred if not thousand of dollars up front for some virtual goods in an unreleased game.

It's Jones town in space.

P.S. [VR]Reagle, while I agree with the gist of your copy and paste, I think it drag down the standard of Blue's fourms to just copy and paste imho, thanks for stopping doing it.

51. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 05:17 Iurand

50. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 04:57 saluk

Every SC post is practically a repost anyway. Copy/pasting old comments is the sanest response I've seen.  

49. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 04:49 Fibrocyte

You have to understand that Cutter, xXBatmanXx, and apparently [VR]Reagle are some of the stupidest people on the internet. Save your time and energy and don't respond to them with logical questions.

48. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 04:26 [VG]Reagle

Well I am sorry nin I won't copy and paste anymore, its all original stuff from here on out. In 15 years of posting here that is pretty much the only copy and paste I have ever used. Check my storied comment history. Compared to the explosion that happens when ever SC is mentioned its tame and a copy and paste is not the end of the world once every decade. Lastly everyone is having a blast in these SC threads and I was trying to get the fires to stay lit. Back reading this thread is a riot.

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2014, 04:35.

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

47. Re: Apr 27, 2014, 03:43 jdreyer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 23:55:
NKD wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 22:15:
Star Citizen threads might as well just have comments disabled at this point.
Meh I've seen more serious shit flinging in threads regarding *he who shall not be named* and his games.

Well, that's because He Who Shall Not Be Named usually shows up and starts flinging shit.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

46. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 03:36 jdreyer

I would have used it on hookers and blow.....

Even as a fine upstanding officer of the law?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo