Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag

The Battlefield Blog has word on DICE's promised efforts at addressing rubber-banding and other latency-related issues in Battlefield 4 that followed the launch of the Naval Strike DLC for the military shooter sequel. Word is they have rolled out some new hardware:

As you know, we’ve been looking into resolving the “rubber banding” that some players on certain platforms have experienced with Battlefield 4 after the recent release of Naval Strike. We’ve found that the root cause of the issue was a configuration of certain hardware types dedicated to 64-player matches.

We have invested in new hardware to resolve this issue and deployed new higher-performance servers this week. In preparation, we conducted a significant amount of testing before installing the new servers to ensure they would correct the issue. We are already seeing performance improvement with 64-player matches and expect this to continue.

While the process took longer than we would’ve liked, we wanted to be 100% sure it was done right and that the long-term solution was properly in place.

Our objective is to deliver the best player experience possible. We feel this solution helps us deliver that to you. Stay tuned to our official channels for more information.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 16:55 Task

I only got rubberbanding during the release. Perhaps they are referring to console servers.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 16:52 Shineyguy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 16:22:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 16:19:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 16:04:
Community is so fragmented. Without Premium, trying to find a HC Domination match is almost impossible, unless you want to play one map over and over and over and over.

Good job EA.

That's a feature, not a bug. "Just buy Premium and you'll be all set!"

HC Domination? Good luck finding people playing that on any continent. HC in general in BF4 is pretty weak with the hit detection, and Domination isn't that great of a game mode (my opinions obviously). Large Conquest is the point of the Battlefield series, and the best map is by far Golmud Railway.

Hopefully this will make the Naval strike maps more playable, some of them were mildly interesting.

Golmud would be great if it weren't horribly bugged. I find I have the most fun on Locker.

Oh, and what drives me the MOST nuts is that you can't shoot in between the railings on stairways. WTF is that?

21. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 16:29 Cyant

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 10:14:
but if your whining about Origin, it's no different from Steam.

Uhhh it's plenty different from Steam (in a bad way)...

20. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 16:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 16:19:
Community is so fragmented. Without Premium, trying to find a HC Domination match is almost impossible, unless you want to play one map over and over and over and over.

Good job EA.

HC Domination? Good luck finding people playing that on any continent. HC in general in BF4 is pretty weak with the hit detection, and Domination isn't that great of a game mode (my opinions obviously). Large Conquest is the point of the Battlefield series, and the best map is by far Golmud Railway.

Hopefully this will make the Naval strike maps more playable, some of them were mildly interesting.

19. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 16:19 jdreyer

Good job EA.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 16:18 MoreLuckThanSkill

4D-Boxing wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 13:50:

True but I think people are complaining about the implementation. Then again, I may be wrong. Anyways Origin is as good as Uplay IMHO. Better implementation than GFWL but not as well implemented as Steam. Updates take way to long and to my knowledge, no voice chat support a la Steam...

Update bandwidth seems to be about the same for me on all the services, ie. the bottleneck is my horrible Comcast. There is voice chat via Origin, but to be fair it is barely usable, at least it was the last time I tried it, around the release of BF4. If I remember correctly you could only setup voice comm groups prior to the joining the game, or only with your friends or something. Limited and buggy, but it does exist.

17. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 16:04 xXBatmanXx

Good job EA.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 13:50 4D-Boxing

BF3 finally got ground combat right. BF4 is pretty solid, but if your whining about Origin, it's no different from Steam.

True but I think people are complaining about the implementation. Then again, I may be wrong. Anyways Origin is as good as Uplay IMHO. Better implementation than GFWL but not as well implemented as Steam. Updates take way to long and to my knowledge, no voice chat support a la Steam...

15. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 13:39 xXBatmanXx

huh!?

/checks calendar....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 13:37 jdreyer

Wow, it took them five months to address this.  

13. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 13:36 DangerDog

Shineyguy wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 11:55:
Many of the lag issues being encountered were on Official EA servers hosted by DICE. Secondary issues were seen on ranked servers yes. They may have worked with the server providers in these instances to upgrade their hardware.

Pretty much this, the console gamers have been experiencing bad rubber-banding for quite some time now.

If only DICE would make special considerations when designing 64 player maps and not just up the player count from the baseline 24 player / 32 player maps. I really like the intensity of 64 player but the choke points in some game modes is beyond insanity.

12. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 13:36 jdreyer

if your whining about Origin, it's no different from Steam.

But, but, but...that's too logical! They're EA so they're EAvil!

11. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 12:09 deqer

remember, BF4 is not BF4. It's BF3.5. You're being milked by EA with this franchise.

why do you think it's on sale right now?

vote with your wallet.

10. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 11:55 Shineyguy

Many of the lag issues being encountered were on Official EA servers hosted by DICE. Secondary issues were seen on ranked servers yes. They may have worked with the server providers in these instances to upgrade their hardware.  

9. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 11:15 Verno

entr0py wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 11:03:
There's something I don't get about this story. My understanding is that Battlefield 4 PC has around 20 licensed ranked servers providers, none of which are EA. So, are they buying new hardware to be run by other companies? Or is this news that only effects console gamers?

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield-4/rent-a-server

Yeah I don't really understand this either. Maybe there was some sort of stat tracking bug related because the servers poll and report to a bunch of EA servers for stats.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

8. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 11:03 entr0py

There's something I don't get about this story. My understanding is that Battlefield 4 PC has around 20 licensed ranked servers providers, none of which are EA. So, are they buying new hardware to be run by other companies? Or is this news that only effects console gamers?

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield-4/rent-a-server

7. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 10:21 Fantaz

LanikTnt wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 10:20:
Fantaz wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 09:15:
BF4 Premium is $24.98 now at Gamersgate... i'm tempted.

Thank you! I've been waiting to get this on sale.

...so should i get it too?

6. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 10:20 LanikTnt

Fantaz wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 09:15:
BF4 Premium is $24.98 now at Gamersgate... i'm tempted.

Thank you! I've been waiting to get this on sale.

5. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 10:14 The Half Elf

BF3 finally got ground combat right. BF4 is pretty solid, but if your whining about Origin, it's no different from Steam.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 09:37 InBlack

MrRadicalEd wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 09:29:
just... remember... bf3. never forget.

yeah, that would work too.

I have a nifty blue line!

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo