Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II

BANDAI NAMCO announces the Windows PC edition of Dark Souls II is now available, offering the sequel to From Software's notoriously difficult action/RPG. Here's word on the game:

BANDAI NAMCO Games America Inc. today announced that DARK SOULS™ II for the PC platform has launched at select retailers and via digital download on Steam worldwide (as of 3:00pm Pacific Time). Dark Souls II is the critically acclaimed, punishing sequel to 2011’s hit Dark Souls, a game that is regarded by critics and fans alike to be one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences in videogame history. The PC version of Dark Souls II will take players on a journey through a devastated world where death and despair lurk around every corner; only those who posses strong-will and cunning will survive to achieve glory. Dark Souls II delivers a constant threat of death from bloodthirsty enemies and hellacious bosses as players face soul-crushing challenges throughout the game.

Already having earned the adulation of game critics and fans with the PlayStation®3 (91 Metacritic score) and Xbox 360 (92 Metacritic score) versions of Dark Souls II; this latest version of the game will harness the power of the PC platform and give PC fans the opportunity to further immerse themselves into the richly designed yet unforgiving Dark Souls II world through increased texture resolution and enhanced frame rates. Lastly, Dark Souls II on PC will also support both gamepads and mouse-and-keyboard control options.

“FromSoftware has taken the time and great care to deliver Dark Souls II for PC at the level that PC fans expect.” said Chris Gilbert, Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing at BANDAI NAMCO Games America Inc. “We’re looking forward to fans enjoying the PC version’s upgraded graphical fidelity and its increased frame rates that is sure to deliver an extra visceral punch and open a new dimension to the great gameplay contained in Dark Souls II.”

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 30, 2014, 16:18 BitWraith

For the Record, I have played through Dark Souls twice. I don't think I have ever died from a rat. And, I farmed the hell out of those guys in the sewer too - they drop humanity like it's candy.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 30, 2014, 15:34 Verno

Echoing the fail sentiment. Dark Souls is one game that demands that you learn to play, the game does not fuck around and pat you on the ass with forced exposition and a massive tutorial.

Evolve or GTFO, the game gives no shits Devilish

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 30, 2014, 14:10 BitWraith

Quinn wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 17:59:
Where did I "fail" exactly? Like yesterday I remember my 3 TRIAL-AND-ERROR deaths.

1. Huge boss at the very start. What did I learn after death:
Don't fight him, but flee. The game wants you to kill it 10 mins later.
2. Rat in Room after bridge:
Don't block, but dodge or have cure potion. If you don't [have a cure] you'll die from a poison DOT that's permanent unless you have a cure potion.
3. Knight on tower:
A blade doesnt one-shot you, a behemoth ape doesnt one-shot you, an armoured swine doesnt one-shot you, but a knight with a large sword does. Enter strafe-hug mode to win.

And you know it. You can disagree with me on other shit, but don't tell me you didn't have "wtf just happened" deaths in DS. You had. And you somehow don't fault the game for it, but instead applaud the game for it. I don't.

LOL yeah trial and error my ass. This is why you fail.

Dark Souls teaches patience. Patience patience patience. The one moment you think you have any enemy down for the count is the moment he smacks you and you die. Every enemy in the game makes a mistake that you can capitalize on. Most enemies need to be approached differently.

I always approach an enemy for the first time tepidly with my shield up (I play tanky). I keep my distance, and watch what their range is, and how often they string together attacks. I might even let them smack me once just to see how much damage they do.

I also never, ever waste souls (ESPECIALLY IN DARK SOULS 2). Hang onto the lootable souls, and pop them when you're close enough to level. I only explore a new area when I'm sitting on as close to 0 souls as I can. When you do this, you'll find that you mostly outlevel the content.

Frankly, I think all three Souls games are works of art. They don't waste my time with shitty cutscenes. There are no shitty quick-time events. When I beat down that fucking boss, it was ME that did it.

PS - the demon that you're supposed to run from in the beginning? Take the firebombs as your starting gift, and kill him with those. You'll get a huge mace for your trouble, which you don't get the second time.

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 26, 2014, 18:31 Redmask

Quinn wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 17:59:
Don't block, but dodge or have cure potion. If you don't [have a cure] you'll die from a poison DOT that's permanent unless you have a cure potion.

You forgot 'dont just hold block for the 20 seconds it takes to get poisoned'. Poison isn't permanent by the way. Use an estus flask.

3. Knight on tower:
A blade doesnt one-shot you, a behemoth ape doesnt one-shot you, an armoured swine doesnt one-shot you, but a knight with a large sword does. Enter strafe-hug mode to win.

The giant sword, ominous appearance and warning messages on the ground should have been a pretty big clue. You also encounter another one before that. He also couldn't one shot me at that point, although it was close.

And you know it. You can disagree with me on other shit, but don't tell me you didn't have "wtf just happened" deaths in DS. You had. And you somehow don't fault the game for it, but instead applaud the game for it. I don't.

No, I didn't have 'wtf just happened' deaths in Dark Souls. In fact the few deaths I had any issues with or couldn't see coming ahead of time were in Sens Fortress due to environmental traps. That's the one place in the game I could fault for some sections of trial and error although its more about the timing than memory. The overwhelming majority of the time my deaths were my own fault, just like yours. That's ok, its part of the process of learning how to play the game differently than others. Dark Souls requires a very different mindset and approach from players than most other games on the market but it is rarely unfair and like the other guy said if you think its just a matter of repetition you do not get it.

Part of the game is learning how to evaluate foes so you can deal with them, most people just move up and start mashing buttons without actually thinking about what the enemy might do. Learning when to flee and when to fight is likewise incredibly important, the only things you're locked into are boss fights.

You are short changing yourself as a player to treat it like other games. You can absolutely meet almost every challenge in the game the first time you encounter them and you should really give yourself more credit and realize that the game isn't really anything special in terms of difficulty, it's just different. Much of the difficulty is psychological, the game is very effective at using musical cues and enemy appearance to intimidate the player.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2014, 18:50.

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 26, 2014, 17:59 Quinn

Where did I "fail" exactly? Like yesterday I remember my 3 TRIAL-AND-ERROR deaths.

1. Huge boss at the very start. What did I learn after death:
Don't fight him, but flee. The game wants you to kill it 10 mins later.
3. Knight on tower:

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 26, 2014, 13:44 Redmask

Quinn wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 11:47:
Like all other encounters I engaged the beast simply blocking his attacks. But instead, that failed suddenly. Instead, I got poisoned. I died a minute later because the darned DOT didn't end. I also walked up a tower not knowing a 10x stronger enemy stood there. His looks didn't portray the fact that a single hit would kill me

No you failed. You assumed an enemy would act another simply because its convenient for you, big mistake. You also failed to adapt to the situation as it occurred. You failed to cure the poison. You failed to heal, the dot doesn't last that long. You made multiple mistakes that lead to your death, the game doesn't expect you to trial and error it but it does expect you to use your head and adapt to things in real time. The Black Knight you're referring to is much larger than the player character and carries a 10 foot long sword so you're just not being honest there.

From Software often makes punishing games but they are rarely unfair. You need to often adapt on the fly to different situations to succeed, they are not games where you can do the same things over and over to succeed. That's the whole point of them, taking you out of your comfort zone which is something 99% of other games fail to do these days. Change the way you play them and be willing to take responsibility for your mistakes and allow yourself to learn from them. Not in a cheesy 'ok i know what this enemy does now' way, let yourself actually change play styles and strategize. It is a very rewarding experience that is not like anything else you will play once you make this jump.

Where the games fail is adequately explaining their sub systems but I prefer their approach of self-discovery of these aspects to a brain dead 5 hour tutorial.

40. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 26, 2014, 11:47 Quinn

I humbly agree with your entire retort except for the trial-and-error part. Fuck yes it's trial-and-error. A rat came at me. Like all other encounters I engaged the beast simply blocking his attacks. But instead, that failed suddenly. Instead, I got poisoned. I died a minute later because the darned DOT didn't end. I also walked up a tower not knowing a 10x stronger enemy stood there. His looks didn't portray the fact that a single hit would kill me.

Fuck yes, DS is a trial-and-error game. Disagreeing with that makes me wonder if YOU played the game.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 26, 2014, 08:37 Dades

Everyone has different taste junior. Remember this next time you post defending your favorite game from people. Dark Souls is very well balanced, features some amazingly haunting and beautiful designs. You are just conditioned to play easy games with a lot of handholding because that's the state of the gaming industry. It is not a trial and error game, if that's what you took away from it then you were not playing it properly.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 26, 2014, 05:32 Quinn

You mistake genuine difficulty with crappy controls, imbalance and what-the-fuck-just-happened moments. Sure, you can drop in an enemy who's attacks suddenly can't be blocked and who's bite appears to have an unending poisonous effect, or drop an enemy on a tower that's suddenly 10 lvls above you, killing you in one hit, and some people will surely somehow give you credit for it. But to me, that's just lazy, unfair trial-and-error kind of shit that I don't seek in a game. In te end I killed giant bosses by hugging their feet strafing, nipping at their health til they fell. Hehe, fucking ridiculous.

Apart from all that, the game also looked hideous even with the proper mods. But I guess once your game reaches a certain level of crappiness, it's suddenly awesome. Same with the fine line between insanity and genius.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 20:50 PHJF

What do people see in these games?

They are utterly unique in the sea of indistinguishable, monotonous garbage that has become mainstream video gaming?

Dark Souls was kick-you-in-the-dick difficult. In parts. Most of it, though, was instead sensibly challenging and thusly rewarding. DSII has very little dick kicking.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 20:38 Quinn

What do people see in these games? Is it the sense of achievement, playing an unbalanced and unforgiving game yet managing to advance after every so many deaths? There's no story to speak of, the gameplay atleast on PC just downright sucks and the graphics are insulting so that must be it.

From my perspective, this game thus especially the developers get way too much credit. I'd take Severance (Blade of Darkness) above DS1 any day of the year.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 20:32 Brumbek

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 20:38:
Brumbek wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 20:36:
We will NOT FORGOT your lies, BANDAI/FROM.

Grow up.
Because grown-ups dutifully accept false advertising? No, fighting for consumer rights is the right thing to do...if that is childish, then I Don't Wanna Grow Up. Anytime is a good time to enjoy Tom Waits' genius.

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 16:42 Verno

PHJF wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 15:52:
I don't know about anyone else, but this game runs a lot better than the first one on my mid-range laptop, and I think it looks significantly better.

Having played either on the PS3, I found DS2 looked significantly worse overall. The jaw-dropping vistas and world design are almost completely gone.

Yeah this I can agree with, the area and level design overall took a nosedive between games. Not their best work. On the other hand I really like most of the other improvements.

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 15:52 PHJF

I don't know about anyone else, but this game runs a lot better than the first one on my mid-range laptop, and I think it looks significantly better.

Having played either on the PS3, I found DS2 looked significantly worse overall. The jaw-dropping vistas and world design are almost completely gone.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 12:32 Orogogus

Frijoles wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 23:25:
I wouldn't mind an interview where they ask them wtf that extra PC time went towards.

I don't know about anyone else, but this game runs a lot better than the first one on my mid-range laptop, and I think it looks significantly better. So I'd suggest "optimization" is what they might have spent their time on.

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 11:34 Verno

InBlack wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 06:00:
Some poeple seem to be missing a point here. Sure the game works great with a controller, but thats not the issue. The issue is that the developers LIED and claimed the game would work well with KB&M.

Oh man he capitalized lied, this must be a pretty big deal

Actually it seems to work so far with KB/M. I don't think its idealc compared to gamepads but its improved from the last game. Have you played this?

The biggest sin I've seen so far is Xbox prompts for buttons which is a silly oversight but not the end of the world. The changes they made to the lighting engine are really unfortunate too but that's a design thing that isn't specific to the PC version.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2014, 11:47.

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 06:26 mag

InBlack wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 06:00:
Some poeple seem to be missing a point here. Sure the game works great with a controller, but thats not the issue. The issue is that the developers LIED and claimed the game would work well with KB&M.

I actually just did a little running around with mouse and keyboard and--well, I would need to rebind some keys, but it works fine. Much better than the first one. What are your complaints?

If you want your character's view/aim to track the movement of the mouse, that's just not how the game works. It doesn't work like that with a game pad. Intentionally. They don't *want* you running around free-aiming your spells and bows--the aim mechanic is an intentional handicap, you have to sacrifice your mobility.

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 06:00 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 04:50 Asmodai

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 01:58:
So... Do you play fighting games and racing games with the keyboard? Even Assassin's Creed or Batmam: Arkham kinds of games I can't stand to not use a gamepad with

Fighting games, yes. Works well.

Driving games, no, I use a joystick or a wheel rather than a gamepad, the longer throw allows for much finer control of movement. Gamepads are very limited in this regard.

The point you are building up to is almost as senseless as Rattle's rants. It is not a binary decision. You can put in great control systems that are not mutually exclusive. It's been done numerous times, it's not fucking rocket surgery.

So yes, when a dev promises that the PC is the base platform, you kinda sorta infer that it would have decent support for M&KB. It can have great controller support as well, and you're welcome to use it, but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have a crappy implementation.

edit: And already the WSGF are working on a 3 screen fix...

http://iforce.co.nz/i/3mhqmca3.zdf.jpg

Hayden has mentioned the plugin should be up sometime today.

When you combine that with Durante's image quality fix, we're already had two major steps forward made by the community within hours of release... Things that would be much easier to fix working on the game directly (ie. not having to reverse engineer the system) if the devs weren't lazy fucking douchecunts...

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2014, 05:13.

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 04:45 Asmodai

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 01:38:
Redesigning the entire mechanics to suit the keyboard and mouse scheme is ridiculous. I don't get where people get this notion that this would happen. The game is meant to be played with a controller.

Once again proving you're an ignorant moron... =)

DSMFix for DS1 made the M/KB control system superior to the controller. Easily destroyed much higher level/equipped invaders with my lowbie thief purely by running circles around them and backstabbing the shit out of them constantly. No complete redesign required, just some tweaking of config files.

You might want to think twice about shooting your mouth off with your head up your ass, it might be painful... X D

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo