Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Next Dragon Age Begins in October

EA and BioWare announce an October 7th release date for Dragon Age: Inquisition, in North America, saying the release of the next installment in their action/RPG series will follow for Windows, PS4, PS3, and Xbox 360 in Europe on October 10th. A new gameplay trailer accompanies the news, and here is the announcement:

BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA), today announced that the highly-anticipated, epic role-playing game, Dragon Age™: Inquisition will be available in stores and for digital download on October 7 in North America and October 10 in Europe. In Dragon Age: Inquisition, the expansive, beautiful world of Thedas is being torn apart by a massive, mysterious breach in the sky. Players must assume the role of the Inquisitor and lead a team of legendary heroes to uncover the truth behind the impending devastation.

“Our goal with Dragon Age: Inquisition is to usher in the next-generation of role playing games.” said Aaryn Flynn, General Manager of BioWare Edmonton and Montreal. “Players will experience the rich storylines and characters that they’ve come to expect from BioWare, in an expansive world with large open environments just begging to be explored.”

Players can pre-order* Dragon Age: Inquisition to get special bonus content. Visit the Dragon Age website for more information on editions, including the Deluxe Edition available for pre-order and the upcoming Inquisitor’s Edition.

Become a fan of Dragon Age: Inquisition on Facebook and follow us on Twitter® via http://www.twitter.com/dragonage.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 23, 2014, 12:46 Creston

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 23:26:
Hope they at least have different lead designers for this one.

Nope. Mike Laidlaw All The Way. woot?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 23, 2014, 12:10 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Apr 23, 2014, 07:46:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 22:20:
The engine alone changes everything for Bioware. We don't have an idea what they can do with an up to date engine, this will be their first time. I always wait for reviews, but my interest is peeked.

You don't think this will be consolized out the ass? Dream on white boy, dream on black girl, and wake up to a brand new day, to find your dreams have washed away.

Well first I've hated pretty much every bioware engine ever and was always surprised how they got away with it. However some of their engines for their time were ok. Most of the time they were abysmal.

Now I'm not a fan of DA1, I thought it was shallow strategically (since that was its aim), suffered from the pause based system and most of all very small areas and long load times. Also it became repetitive because I felt the skill choices were shallow for a pseudo TB game. It didn't work for me in that scope at all.

But even beyond that, I don't fall in love with series's quite the same way most hardcores do. I pretty much take each release as its own new game. That is how I did find fun in DA2. I liked the action part of it, load times were much faster, however the area's were still abysmally small.

Acting/Story in both were pretty good.

If DA3 comes out and plays more like Witcher or Skyrim and not DA1, that is fine with me. I like that setup and again I don't hold to hard with past releases, each game... it's own release for me.

I don't know if this will be good, but from what I see I'm totally stoked for more than 2 city blocks without a reload, that alone adds a lot of RPG Adventuring to me. And a mix between some a DA mechanics and a Withcer/Skyrim could be interesting.

57. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 23, 2014, 11:00 Desalus

Jerykk wrote on Apr 23, 2014, 04:34:
Bottom line is that you can't design combat encounters and balance enemies to create a satisfying experience for both players who just want to button mash and players who want to be challenged on a tactical level. I'd love for DA3 to prove me wrong but I don't think it's going to happen.

That's very true. If players are expecting tactical combat that will be on par with DA1, they will be disappointed once again. I realize that less tactical combat isn’t being true to Dragon Age’s spiritual predecessor, but it seems like most people prefer more action oriented and fluid combat (Skyrim) compared to more tactical and target based combat (Elder Scrolls Online). I know most DA fans were disappointed with the combat in DA2, but that was most likely due to the expectation that it was going to be like DA1, along with Bioware’s presentation of the combat (almost fitting into over-the-top ridiculous type of combat). It didn’t help that right in the beginning of the game the hero was presented as some sort of super-hero, able to kill hordes of Darkspawn in a few broad strokes of the sword. If DA2 had been given a different title, along with a new setting, players probably would have largely enjoyed it. As dj LiTh stated, DA2 was still better than most role playing games.

Personally while I do appreciate the added depth of more tactical combat, I do enjoy combat that is more action oriented and not interrupted by having to pause the game in order to command my other part members around. For instance, I much prefer the combat of Dragon’s Dogma over the combat of Dragon Age because the combat feels much more visceral, fluid, brutal, and I do not have to baby-sit the other characters in my party. So when I see the more action oriented combat of DA3, my reaction is “damn that looks fun” and not “wtf, this doesn’t look anything like DA1!!!”

56. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 23, 2014, 08:52 Qbex .

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 14:56:
ENCHANTMENT!
Laugh
It's firmly in "wait and see" category for me, I give them props for DA:O, that being one of my favoured recent CRPG's but part two was a total and utter shit which I couldn't stand for more then 30 min, promptly deleting and never going back to. Also all recent outings of Bioware are in total decline imho so yeah, I'll wait for player reviews on this one.

55. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 23, 2014, 07:46 Cutter

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 22:20:
The engine alone changes everything for Bioware. We don't have an idea what they can do with an up to date engine, this will be their first time. I always wait for reviews, but my interest is peeked.

You don't think this will be consolized out the ass? Dream on white boy, dream on black girl, and wake up to a brand new day, to find your dreams have washed away.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

54. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 23, 2014, 04:34 Jerykk

Desalus wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 16:50:
It seems like people have two reasons why they are not excited for the game:
1) They were disappointed by Dragon Age 2.
2) They do not like Origin and/or EA.

Both of which have absolutely nothing to do with the quality of Dragon Age 3. From what I've seen (30 minute vid of gameplay) and read, the game will exceed the quality and gameplay of the first Dragon Age. BioWare knows they screwed up with DA2 and they have made it a mission to correct those errors with DA3. This game looks like a mixture of the storytelling we expect from Bioware, along with more open world features reminiscent of Elder Scrolls (yes I know it's not completely open world, but it's a lot more open world than DA1 or DA2). I for one am very excited for this game.

The quality (and direction) of DA2 are very much relevant to DA3. DA2 tried to accommodate players who wanted to play the game like a hack 'n slash. DA3 is trying to do the same. They claim that DA3 will be more strategic but nothing I saw from the gameplay walkthroughs really showed that. Yes, they used the tactical view and issued orders but I never saw any situations where they actually needed to do those things. And that's the inherent problem with trying to accommodate two completely different playstyles. If you tune the combat for hack 'n slash, it's going to be way too easy for PnP. If you tune the combat for PnP, it's going to be way too hard for hack 'n slash. DA2 tried to compensate for this by spawning waves of enemies out of thin air during every combat encounter. This wasn't a big issue on anything less than Nightmare difficulty because enemies were essentially just cannon fodder. However, on Nightmare (the difficulty designed to force tactical play), enemies were significantly tougher and the mechanics far less forgiving, making the wave-based spawns incredibly frustrating.

Bottom line is that you can't design combat encounters and balance enemies to create a satisfying experience for both players who just want to button mash and players who want to be challenged on a tactical level. I'd love for DA3 to prove me wrong but I don't think it's going to happen.

53. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 23, 2014, 04:09 InBlack

CrushBug wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 14:05:
I think there's like 6 seconds of gameplay here.

Yeah, it was unfortunate that they named it a gameplay trailer. It was all in-engine footage, though. Frostbite FTW.

What do you mean 'they' who's they? Shouldnt it be 'we'? You dont work at Bioware/EA anymore?? (Its ok to hate the marketing guys, it really is)

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2014, 05:24.

I have a nifty blue line!

52. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 23, 2014, 01:24 Fantaz

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 12:43:
This looks like I'll be buying it for $9.99 or less... is there even a party anymore, or is it basically a single character game?

[...]

99 cents or less for me.

51. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 23, 2014, 01:12 Agent.X7

Waiting for reviews, but not hopeful.

After ME2, DA2, and SWTOR, Bioware is not on my happy list.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

50. Re: Into the Black Apr 23, 2014, 01:11 NegaDeath

Looks pretty great so far. I'm happy just to see a Bioware game that has escaped the archaic technology of the last gen consoles. They may not admit their mistakes but they do listen to the feedback they get, unlike their host company.  

49. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2014, 00:06 Mashiki Amiketo

Faith not restored. Will be waiting for reviews, many reviews.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

48. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 22, 2014, 23:26 Wowbagger_TIP

Creston wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 17:55:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 17:54:
BioWare knows they screwed up with DA2 and they have made it a mission to correct those errors with DA3. This game looks like a mixture of the storytelling we expect from Bioware, along with more open world features reminiscent of Elder Scrolls (yes I know it's not completely open world, but it's a lot more open world than DA1 or DA2). I for one am very excited for this game.
Has Bioware ever said they screwed up with DA2? I don't remember them doing anything other than defending it. Maybe that changed after I stopped paying attention.

No, they never said that. They've basically just implied that "we know people like some of these features, so we'll bring them back." They still firmly defend all their decisions with DA2.
That's what I figured. This will be very much a wait-and-see game for me. Even if it turns out to be good, I'll probably wait for a sale, just due to it not being conveniently on Steam. Hope they at least have different lead designers for this one.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

47. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 22, 2014, 23:00 Task

I pray to the lords of Balder Gate this game has hardcore gameplay settings for PC players...  

Playing: The Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins, FF8

46. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 22, 2014, 22:20 HorrorScope

45. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 22, 2014, 22:06 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 18:03:
The website says "It’s official: Dragon Age: Inquisition is coming to PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One on October 7, 2014!". The press release seems to list it, too, right under where the excerpt cuts out:

Dragon Age: Inquisition is in development at BioWare in Edmonton and will be available for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC via Origin™. The game has not yet been rated the ESRB and PEGI; visit www.esrb.org and www.pegi.info for more information.

Yeah, it was just Blue's blurb that missed it. It seemed weird.

44. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 22, 2014, 18:27 Julio

Definitely taking the wait and see approach. All I tried of DA2 was the demo, never bothered playing the actual game even though I got it for free ($20 off $20 game sale!). If there's still no overhead view, it's a no for me (though I'll add it if EA gives it to me for free and never probably install).

Origin is similar to Steam, I don't like either so that's about even.

43. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 22, 2014, 18:11 dj LiTh

PropheT wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 14:42:
nin wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 12:14:
Watching the trailer earlier (when the V/O starts), I thought that was French Hottie, back from DA1...oh well.

I'm excited for the game. DA2 was disappointing because it wasn't really a worthy sequel to the excellent first game, but I still had fun with it. Bioware's worst game is still better than nine of out ten games out there.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. While DA2 wasnt nearly as good as DA1, it was still better then most games in the genre. So i guess i'll echo what so many others have said, in that i'll be waiting for reviews and early adopters after a month to get an idea of where this falls into place. Origin though, ouch that already puts the game at a disadvantage to me.

42. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 22, 2014, 18:03 Orogogus

The website says "It’s official: Dragon Age: Inquisition is coming to PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One on October 7, 2014!". The press release seems to list it, too, right under where the excerpt cuts out:

Dragon Age: Inquisition is in development at BioWare in Edmonton and will be available for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC via Origin™. The game has not yet been rated the ESRB and PEGI; visit www.esrb.org and www.pegi.info for more information.

41. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 22, 2014, 17:55 Creston

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 17:54:
BioWare knows they screwed up with DA2 and they have made it a mission to correct those errors with DA3. This game looks like a mixture of the storytelling we expect from Bioware, along with more open world features reminiscent of Elder Scrolls (yes I know it's not completely open world, but it's a lot more open world than DA1 or DA2). I for one am very excited for this game.
Has Bioware ever said they screwed up with DA2? I don't remember them doing anything other than defending it. Maybe that changed after I stopped paying attention.

No, they never said that. They've basically just implied that "we know people like some of these features, so we'll bring them back." They still firmly defend all their decisions with DA2.

Also, is this not coming to the Xbone?

40. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 22, 2014, 17:54 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo