Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ

A post on Reddit from SOE's John Smedley follows up glitches in an H1Z1 livestream to answer some viewer questions he saw about the survival/horror game, including a pretty frank answer to questions about similarities to DayZ (thanks GameSpot). Here are his answers:

Answers to common questions I saw:

1) We will have first and third person. Third person will not give you LOS over obstacles. We intend to make it more of a preference. I find myself switching to it occasionally but I love combat in first person. To those who say we can't serve two masters - play the game before you judge.

2) Vehicles will be in third person only. Could this change? Maybe but that's what we're putting in for now.

3) Why was there so much stuff around 15 years later - we wanted to show you how the mechanics worked. Simple as that. We intend to make surviving a lot about catching your food. Longer term about growing it and protecting it.

4) How is this different from Day Z? - saw this a lot. Not going to give some politically correct dodgy b.s. answer. It is a survival in a Zombie Apocalypse game. So is Day Z. They have made a brilliant game (first I might add). They have a great vision for it and can count myself and most of the people on our team as fans and contributors.

We're making the game we're making. Long term we plan on making this about a persistent world with a big landscape with thousands of players. The way we would like to see this roll out is much more like players building small enclaves or pockets of territory and hold out against a legitimate zombie threat that's ever present while others go it alone taking their chances.. These player built structures, forts and towns are one of the ways the players try to carve out some small space in a dangerous world.

We also want to make sure we have a deep in-game economy that is heavily dependent on crafting. Players will be able to become manufacturers.. sell bullets, arrows.. etc. The in-game economy will be entirely player driven.

So this is our take on the Zombie Apocalypse with a lot of friends and hopefully some great enemies both living and dead. We're proud to be up front and say we love Day Z and the job they've done and we hope they enjoy what we make too.

I can say this another way.

I love 28 Days and 28 Days Later I love World War Z I love Warm Bodies (oh come on you did too you) I love Night of the Living Dead.. and all the other ones. I love The Walking Dead.

And so do most of you. So sure. We're another Zombie Apocalypse game. Call it what it is. But our goal is to make ours fun, accessible, hard core and super, super deep. As time goes on we hope our take on the end of the world by zombie is fun and lots of people get to try it. You'll also have all the information you need when you start Early Access for $19.99. You can watch others stream it. You can decide to wait till we switch it to Free to Play. Either way you'll see our roadmap and you'll see if it's something that's for you.

Have a good one,

Smed

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 21, 2014, 12:21 Verno

I just hope they don't carebear it up, the mixture of zombies and player interaction are what make it worthwhile. Might as well play some more crappy Dead Island otherwise.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 21, 2014, 12:12 DG

The concept I probably kinda like, but I'm not going SOE again after Planetside2.

The latter I have an absurd amount of hours in and some great times in what can be a really fun game once you figure out what you are doing and can take the game for what it is. But the development side is amateurish at best - probably not the actual workers but the management. It has a ton of work left to do on the roadmap which seems to perpetually fall behind yet some of the most popular names are being pulled over to H1Z1.

22. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 21, 2014, 12:11 Frags4Fun

I had high hopes for Dayz SA but the lack of progress on the game has made me think that it will never be finished. It seems to me that a priority should have been fixing the zombies who walk through walls, fences, and many other solid objects. Forget about retreating into a building. As someone else mentioned, the melee system will never be a true melee system. It's quite bad when you swing an axe at a zed that's right in your face and you miss 5 or 6 times in a row. It looks like a melee swing but in reality, it's a melee animation with a very short range projectile. Then there's the horrible frame rate even on beastly computers. I predict that none of these things will ever be fixed.

The DayZ devs already have the majority of the profits so why should they bother going out of their way to finish the game? Perpetual alpha just like the mod.

I thoroughly enjoyed the mod for over 2 years and a couple thousand hours of play time but I fear that SA will never be what all of us fans hoped it would be.

I think that this H1Z1 has some real potential but it will never have the modding community. It also won't have as many hackers or should I say as many blatant hackers.

21. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 21, 2014, 10:22 HorrorScope

I see the potential in this game/idea and hope it turns out well.  

20. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 21, 2014, 08:45 BitWraith

Cutter wrote on Apr 20, 2014, 16:28:
Ozmodan wrote on Apr 20, 2014, 15:16:
Smedley has totally flipped his lid on this game. It is going NOWHERE! What a complete waste of development staff. I have always known him to be an idiot, but now we see he is way beyond that and in fact a complete imbecile!

How challenging is killing zombies? It gets boring as hell fast!. So all they have left is pvp and there FAR BETTER pvp games out there than this one will ever be.

Yeah, I'll still never understand why he wasn't terminated with extreme prejudice after Vanguard. SOE really needs to get rid of him.

As I understand it, Microsoft was desperate to get rid of Vanguard. Sony got the game and staff at an amazing discount. Any business would buy a nearly complete game for pennies. I'm sure they recouped their investment.

19. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 21, 2014, 05:21 Fibrocyte

NKD wrote on Apr 21, 2014, 05:04:
Acleacius wrote on Apr 21, 2014, 01:26:
soe and smedly WAS the previous publisher who pulled funding, because Vanguard's release would directly hit EQ2 in the wallet. This is why the game was forced out early. McQuaid had no choice it was release late alpha, or lose any chance of the game ever being released.

False. Vanguard was originally to be published by Microsoft. That wasn't working out, so four years into development, Sigil bought Microsoft's stake in the project out and turned to their old pals at SOE to help get the project out the door. This is where it all falls on McQuaid. He didn't show up the last six months of development, and failed to secure additional funding to get the game finished. So they pushed it out the door. After it flopped, SOE bought out Sigil and kept on some of the team.

I'm not claiming McQuaid didn't have problems, neither is McQuaid but soe's jealously was what caused this debacle. When it became obvious Vanguard wouldn't be able to recover, soe stepped in to by a CLEARLY superior IP to EQ2 for the rights to the world.

What was SOE "jealous" of? If they thought it was a threat, why didn't they just let it die instead of doing McQuaid a favor? It was a stinker of a game that had been in development for 5 years and still wasn't ready to ship. From every story I've heard, the only reason SOE picked it up is because Smedley and McQuaid are friends and he couldn't say no to his buddy.

Smedley is the ***on who created the idiotic F2P system in EQ2 first, where even if you paid the full $15 a month you still didn't have FULL access to the game. Not only that it was smedley who cause McQuaid and team to leave soe, because EQ2 was going in the wrong direction. So smedley cause EQ2 to be weak, lost some of the best mmog developers, created the most failed F2P, killed Vanguard and he's still making millions a year destroying soe's mmo gaming division.

Yeah, Smedley lost some great MMO developers there. What are they doing now? Oh yeah, they are largely still at SOE. McQuaid's right hand man on Vanguard, Jeff Butler, is Creative Director on EverQuest Next and several other Sigil guys are still on at SOE. And McQuaid can't even get anyone to back his current project.

As far as the "most failed F2P" I'm not sure what the fuck you're on about. Their F2P model is the only reason they can afford to keep older MMOs like EQ and EQ2 running long after the subscriber count has diminished.

You can try to paint Smedley as an idiot or incompetent or whatever, but SOE is a profitable business with several projects in development, so your entire barely intelligible rant should just be reduced to "I don't like John Smedley's decisions on a personal level so I'm going to be a fucking moron about it instead of just saying that."

Well put. I hope Cutter read the last paragraph because it applies to him as well. Such an oaf...

18. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 21, 2014, 05:04 NKD

Acleacius wrote on Apr 21, 2014, 01:26:
soe and smedly WAS the previous publisher who pulled funding, because Vanguard's release would directly hit EQ2 in the wallet. This is why the game was forced out early. McQuaid had no choice it was release late alpha, or lose any chance of the game ever being released.

False. Vanguard was originally to be published by Microsoft. That wasn't working out, so four years into development, Sigil bought Microsoft's stake in the project out and turned to their old pals at SOE to help get the project out the door. This is where it all falls on McQuaid. He didn't show up the last six months of development, and failed to secure additional funding to get the game finished. So they pushed it out the door. After it flopped, SOE bought out Sigil and kept on some of the team.

I'm not claiming McQuaid didn't have problems, neither is McQuaid but soe's jealously was what caused this debacle. When it became obvious Vanguard wouldn't be able to recover, soe stepped in to by a CLEARLY superior IP to EQ2 for the rights to the world.

What was SOE "jealous" of? If they thought it was a threat, why didn't they just let it die instead of doing McQuaid a favor? It was a stinker of a game that had been in development for 5 years and still wasn't ready to ship. From every story I've heard, the only reason SOE picked it up is because Smedley and McQuaid are friends and he couldn't say no to his buddy.

Smedley is the ***on who created the idiotic F2P system in EQ2 first, where even if you paid the full $15 a month you still didn't have FULL access to the game. Not only that it was smedley who cause McQuaid and team to leave soe, because EQ2 was going in the wrong direction. So smedley cause EQ2 to be weak, lost some of the best mmog developers, created the most failed F2P, killed Vanguard and he's still making millions a year destroying soe's mmo gaming division.

Yeah, Smedley lost some great MMO developers there. What are they doing now? Oh yeah, they are largely still at SOE. McQuaid's right hand man on Vanguard, Jeff Butler, is Creative Director on EverQuest Next and several other Sigil guys are still on at SOE. And McQuaid can't even get anyone to back his current project.

As far as the "most failed F2P" I'm not sure what the fuck you're on about. Their F2P model is the only reason they can afford to keep older MMOs like EQ and EQ2 running long after the subscriber count has diminished.

You can try to paint Smedley as an idiot or incompetent or whatever, but SOE is a profitable business with several projects in development, so your entire barely intelligible rant should just be reduced to "I don't like John Smedley's decisions on a personal level so I'm going to be a fucking moron about it instead of just saying that."

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

17. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 21, 2014, 04:38 ibm

Wow Smed, you just described the SWG you ruined 10 years ago. It's only taken you 10 years to realise what you had back then that you destoyed?  

16. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 21, 2014, 01:26 Acleacius

NKD wrote on Apr 20, 2014, 22:55:
Smedley has totally flipped his lid on this game. It is going NOWHERE! What a complete waste of development staff. I have always known him to be an idiot, but now we see he is way beyond that and in fact a complete imbecile!

How challenging is killing zombies? It gets boring as hell fast!. So all they have left is pvp and there FAR BETTER pvp games out there than this one will ever be.

Yeah, I'll still never understand why he wasn't terminated with extreme prejudice after Vanguard. SOE really needs to get rid of him.

Vanguard? The game they rescued on the cheap when the previous publisher backed out and ran profitably for 7 years? The reason Smedley is there probably has something to do with the fact that he's been with the company from the beginning, is popular there, and SOE is a profitable division.

Vanguard was a stinker in terms of where McQuaid and friends thought it would go, but it wasn't a financial loser for SOE.

smedley is the ***on who created the idiotic F2P system in EQ2 first, where even if you paid the full $15 a month you still didn't have FULL access to the game. Not only that it was smedley who cause McQuaid and team to leave soe, because EQ2 was going in the wrong direction. So smedley cause EQ2 to be weak, lost some of the best mmog developers, created the most failed F2P, killed Vanguard and he's still making millions a year destroying soe's mmo gaming division.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

15. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 20, 2014, 23:11 Parallax Abstraction

NKD wrote on Apr 20, 2014, 22:55:

Vanguard? The game they rescued on the cheap when the previous publisher backed out and ran profitably for 7 years? The reason Smedley is there probably has something to do with the fact that he's been with the company from the beginning, is popular there, and SOE is a profitable division.

Vanguard was a stinker in terms of where McQuaid and friends thought it would go, but it wasn't a financial loser for SOE.

Stop injecting logic into this! There's hatin' to be done!

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

14. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 20, 2014, 22:55 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

13. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 20, 2014, 21:52 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 20, 2014, 21:29:
What I want to see is either Chicago from Watch Dogs or New York from The Division (Ubi you've gotten awefully sexy these last few years), and fill them full of zombies.

That would be a wicked Halloween DLC.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 20, 2014, 21:29 The Half Elf

DayZ had it's day in the sun, and still isn't finished and will never have a proper melee system to make the game work.

What I want to see is either Chicago from Watch Dogs or New York from The Division (Ubi you've gotten awefully sexy these last few years), and fill them full of zombies.

But hey if SOE wants to take a shot at it, let them. Maybe it will light a fire under DayZ's ass, and Sony can properly do combat.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

11. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 20, 2014, 19:09 Osc8r

jdreyer wrote on Apr 20, 2014, 15:07:
JohnBirshire wrote on Apr 20, 2014, 13:52:
It's a good point. Imagine if id was the only one ever to make shooters what kind of world we'd live in (brown, with a splattering of dark green).

Instead we are left with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yIxUOWrtw

10. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 20, 2014, 17:18 jacobvandy

Don't think I'll pay to play early, but I look forward to trying this out. Persistence and high player count alone put it in a unique position that DayZ will never reach. In response, they will need to polish a specialized style of gameplay that can't be easily emulated, namely the realistic combat. I doubt we'll be seeing people sniping at such ranges that you can't even hear the shot in H1Z1.  

9. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 20, 2014, 16:28 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

8. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 20, 2014, 16:14 DangerDog

Another game ruined by "Free to Play".  

7. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 20, 2014, 15:16 Ozmodan

6. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 20, 2014, 15:07 jdreyer

JohnBirshire wrote on Apr 20, 2014, 13:52:
Who cares if it is similar to DayZ? The DayZ devs are raking in all the alpha pre-release money while taking their sweeet time to work on the game, maybe some competition will get their butts in gear.
It's a good point. Imagine if id was the only one ever to make shooters what kind of world we'd live in (brown, with a splattering of dark green).

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 20, 2014, 14:53 Acleacius

soe sucks, but honestly it wouldn't be hard to be better than dayz.

Hell, all they would need is Coop.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo