Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Tech Bits

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 19, 2014, 17:37 Beamer

WaltC wrote on Apr 19, 2014, 16:46:
Timmeh wrote on Apr 19, 2014, 12:20:
When was the last time AMD actually made some money? How do you stay in business when you have lost money every single quarter for at least the last decade?

Or is it just a ploy to write off taxes.

It's imperative that you get your facts straight in order to answer your question...;)

AMD showed a profit last quarter, btw. (Q4 2013.)

Had it not had to pay GF a $213M payment this quarter (the last payment it has to make to GF, btw), the company would have shown a $193M profit *this quarter*, instead of a $20M loss.

So first of all it isn't true that AMD has never shown a profit--the company has shown plenty of profits over the years, has tons of investor confidence, and a plethora of products unmatched by either nVidia or Intel. The *only* place that AMD is lacking at the moment in relation to Intel is the high-end x86 cpu business--in the middle-to-low end sectors (i5 and below, where most cpu sales are made) AMD is every bit the equal of Intel in the cpu business, and AMD really blows Intel away in the gpu business (Intel offers nothing competitive.)

In fact, when it came to choosing the hardware for both Sony and Microsoft's new-gen consoles, nobody came close to what AMD could bring to the table. AMD provided a bang-for-the-buck that nobody could equal (obviously.)

Hopefully, now you understand why AMD is still alive and kicking. Better be glad, too, else that Intel cpu you obviously are running would cost you 2x-4x more than it presently does--if you could even buy it at all. Where Intel's cpu tech would be today without AMD's influence is anybody's guess. My guess: it would not be nearly so good as it is. Even if you don't buy AMD's cpu products (I have owned nothing but AMD since 1999) AMD is still your very good friend in terms of pushing Intel to offer good deals instead of the really bad ones it offered prior to the advent of Athlon so many years ago.

This is a curious mix of some good info and some serious blinders
for instance, AMD may have more powerful as gpus but vastly more computers operate on Intels admittedly weak offerings.

Why would someone go so long on only Amd purchases? Insanity. They leapfrog in better value monthly. No intelligent person sticks with one. They're interchangeable, buy the best in your budget. So weird to stick with one over the other. Baffling and irrational.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 19, 2014, 16:46 WaltC

Timmeh wrote on Apr 19, 2014, 12:20:
When was the last time AMD actually made some money? How do you stay in business when you have lost money every single quarter for at least the last decade?

It's imperative that you get your facts straight in order to answer your question...;)

AMD showed a profit last quarter, btw. (Q4 2013.)

Had it not had to pay GF a $213M payment this quarter (the last payment it has to make to GF, btw), the company would have shown a $193M profit *this quarter*, instead of a $20M loss.

So first of all it isn't true that AMD has never shown a profit--the company has shown plenty of profits over the years, has tons of investor confidence, and a plethora of products unmatched by either nVidia or Intel. The *only* place that AMD is lacking at the moment in relation to Intel is the high-end x86 cpu business--in the middle-to-low end sectors (i5 and below, where most cpu sales are made) AMD is every bit the equal of Intel in the cpu business, and AMD really blows Intel away in the gpu business (Intel offers nothing competitive.)

In fact, when it came to choosing the hardware for both Sony and Microsoft's new-gen consoles, nobody came close to what AMD could bring to the table. AMD provided a bang-for-the-buck that nobody could equal (obviously.)

Hopefully, now you understand why AMD is still alive and kicking. Better be glad, too, else that Intel cpu you obviously are running would cost you 2x-4x more than it presently does--if you could even buy it at all. Where Intel's cpu tech would be today without AMD's influence is anybody's guess. My guess: it would not be nearly so good as it is. Even if you don't buy AMD's cpu products (I have owned nothing but AMD since 1999) AMD is still your very good friend in terms of pushing Intel to offer good deals instead of the really bad ones it offered prior to the advent of Athlon so many years ago.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 19, 2014, 16:44 RenownWolf

It's curious AMD are using the purchase of ATI to try and drive their SoC with Radeon, but they really need to be careful as Intel is slowly improving their integrated GPUs.

For the sake of more desktop competition, I hope that AMD start trying to push more performance per watt again in that section using what they have learned in the lower powered devices.

Hopefully the restructure leads to some serious improvements in R&D. Kind of a shame that the consoles didn't really push anything special other than some basics changes to the original chip designs.

http://www.renownwolf.com

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 19, 2014, 16:43 eRe4s3r

No it really looks bad for AMD, lower costs in CPU division means less R&D and thus, Intel domination for eternity. And I bet 90% of their GPU business profit is from crypto mining and SoC's (console GPU)

Overall, AMD isn't dead, but it's irrelevant. And I think that's worse.

Also gotta love the bad management decisions. Broke contract with Global Foundries and had to pay massive contract penalty only to run crying back the them after TSMC didn't deliver. AMD is run by retards

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 19, 2014, 12:20 Timmeh

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo