Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

2D Prince of Persia Rumor

A report on French site Le Portail du Jeu Vidéo says a new 2D installment in the Prince of Persia series is in the works using the engine behind Rayman Legends (thanks NowGamer). The report is unverified at this point, but here is a translation of what they are saying:

Not sure! According to our sources, a new Prince of Persia is in preparation (certainly in local Ubisoft Montpellier). This is a 2D title that carries the same engine as that of Rayman Legends with apparently bluffing animations details. The game uses the same techniques of animation in the last Rayman , ie the prince's body is divided into several parts (torso, pelvis, leg, shin, foot, forearm, hands, etc..) that can be animated independently of each other. This provides a real diversity / credibility in the postures and movements of the hero. The quality of the work is to believe in a 3D modeling both transitions are fluid and feel well made ​​volume. Prince - shirtless, dark complexion, medium brown hair - can run, hit the sword or jump against the walls. The usual array so.

Chapter assumptions - pending a formal response - Ubisoft seek to revive the series of Prince of Persia in abandoning adventures in 3D, as did Rayman Origins in 2011 Opting for a 2D game would also do. not impinge on the flat bands of Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs while providing a quality alternative to the excellent Rayman Legends ( métanote 89% on PJV ) in the catalog of a publisher who knows diversify its horizons.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: 2D Prince of Persia Rumor Apr 18, 2014, 12:24 Orogogus

Aero wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 03:18:
It's a small thing, but it spoiled the feel of controls and it just wasn't the same game at all.

The way nostalgia works is that people recognize changes as different and therefore bad, while at the same time not actually wanting to go back and play the old mechanics over again. You see it all the time in the MMORPG threads where people rave all about Everquest's time sink game mechanics which were plainly bad but people have a giant gamer superiority complex from having lived through it.

In any case, I thought the animations in POP were extremely secondary to the exploring and puzzle solving. The only time I remember animation blending mattering at all was the riposte sword attack. And hell if I can remember anything about Flashback besides roll shoot roll roll shoot roll shoot roll roll roll...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: 2D Prince of Persia Rumor Apr 18, 2014, 11:03 Pr()ZaC

I just they'll get the dismemberment right. I just loved to cut the prince in half or watch him die impaled. Muhahaha...err... Angel

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 2014, 12:38.

5. Re: 2D Prince of Persia Rumor Apr 18, 2014, 09:03 NewMaxx

Hmm...they mention the Rayman side-scrolling runners a lot in that excerpt...going to take a wild guess and say it'll play like that more than the original game.  

4. Re: 2D Prince of Persia Rumor Apr 18, 2014, 03:18 Aero

This sort of brings to mind the Flashback remake that allowed the character animations to be interrupted to make the controls more responsive. It's a small thing, but it spoiled the feel of controls and it just wasn't the same game at all. POP, Flashback and Another World were all about planning your moves out a few steps ahead and then executing it properly.

Of course, that doesn't mean these guys won't find something else that works well on some other level (like the Sands of Time did), but the blurb seems to suggest that they aren't going with the traditional rotoscope control style. You wouldn't need to worry about blending animations in that case because the whole point was pretty much to time your inputs to make the animations work.

3. Re: 2D Prince of Persia Rumor Apr 18, 2014, 03:16 Luke

Eirikrautha wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 22:14:
At this point, I'm not sure they can recapture what made the first PoPs successful. There's an institutional memory that gets lost over time (with turnover, tech advances, etc.). Plus, gaming has moved on somewhat. But good luck to them...

Plus, gaming has moved on somewhat.

i like the "somewhat" Book

2. Re: 2D Prince of Persia Rumor Apr 17, 2014, 22:14 Eirikrautha

At this point, I'm not sure they can recapture what made the first PoPs successful. There's an institutional memory that gets lost over time (with turnover, tech advances, etc.). Plus, gaming has moved on somewhat. But good luck to them...  

1. Re: 2D Prince of Persia Rumor Apr 17, 2014, 21:59 theyarecomingforyou

Sounds good to me. I loved the original 2D games.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo