Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer

This new trailer offers a cinematic teaser for Risen 3: Titan Lords, the continuation of the Risen RPG franchise coming to Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 in August. You want the truth? You can't handle the truth! But since you asked: "A true classic European RPG, Risen 3 refuses to hold your hand. It gives players the freedom to explore the vast and beautiful world at their own pace. Engaging combat will test the player's skills and with a visually stunning environment, Risen 3: Titan Lords is a must-have title for RPG fans looking for a challenge. This hardcore RPG is coming to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC this August. Pre-order the game today at: http://shoppage.deepsilver.com/risen3-titan-lords.html?L=1."

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 18, 2014, 20:35 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 16:57:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 01:14:
Slashman wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 01:01:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 23:01:
Shame that they're discarding the pirate setting in favor of a more generic fantasy setting. I thought Risen 2 did a great job with the pirate stuff.

You seem to be in a minority on that front. Doesn't seem like most folks liked it.

Most folks didn't like the combat, which is a fair criticism considering that it was pretty janky and there was no way to dodge attacks (though they later patched in a dodge move).

I didn't hear anyone complain about the pirate theme or its implementation, though. Quite the opposite, in fact. Many people who had never played the first game or any of the Gothic games were intrigued by the teaser trailer which showed off the pirate theme. Can't say the same for this teaser trailer, which is Generic Fantasy 101.

If you'd visit the typical RPG/PB fan websites like RPGCodex, RPGWatch or the WorldOfRisen you'd find quite a few posts of people who were turned off by the pirate setting. There is a reason why they are going back to a more traditional setting in Risen 3 and that is mostly the lack of popularity of the pirate setting among the Gothic/Risen fan base. The fans love pirates as a faction or NPCs but they apparently don't like being forced into the role of a pirate in a rather pure pirate setting.
Also, while a matter of taste, I would definitely abstain from calling the pirate setting in Risen 2 well done. It was a very poor man's ripoff of Disney PotC pirates with just about every lame cliche thrown in for good measure. It just wasn't a very convincing setting in the way they designed and executed it.

If by "convincing", you mean realistic, then no, it wasn't convincing. That said, I think that people are generally more interested in PotC's pirate fantasy rather than historical accuracy. In that regard, I thought Risen 2 handled it well. You had treasure maps, thief monkeys, attack parrots, coconut projectiles, sand-in-the-eyes, voodoo and basically everything you'd expect from a pirate fantasy. It was all good, light-hearted fun which is all I've ever looked for from Risen.

You may be right about the fanbase preferring traditional fantasy, boring as that may be. I kinda wish they'd keep traditional fantasy for the Gothic games (now that they own the IP again) and the pirate stuff for Risen. If they're just going to turn Risen into Gothic, why bother having two franchises?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 18, 2014, 16:57 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 01:14:
Shame that they're discarding the pirate setting in favor of a more generic fantasy setting. I thought Risen 2 did a great job with the pirate stuff.

You seem to be in a minority on that front. Doesn't seem like most folks liked it.

Most folks didn't like the combat, which is a fair criticism considering that it was pretty janky and there was no way to dodge attacks (though they later patched in a dodge move).

I didn't hear anyone complain about the pirate theme or its implementation, though. Quite the opposite, in fact. Many people who had never played the first game or any of the Gothic games were intrigued by the teaser trailer which showed off the pirate theme. Can't say the same for this teaser trailer, which is Generic Fantasy 101.

If you'd visit the typical RPG/PB fan websites like RPGCodex, RPGWatch or the WorldOfRisen you'd find quite a few posts of people who were turned off by the pirate setting. There is a reason why they are going back to a more traditional setting in Risen 3 and that is mostly the lack of popularity of the pirate setting among the Gothic/Risen fan base. The fans love pirates as a faction or NPCs but they apparently don't like being forced into the role of a pirate in a rather pure pirate setting.
Also, while a matter of taste, I would definitely abstain from calling the pirate setting in Risen 2 well done. It was a very poor man's ripoff of Disney PotC pirates with just about every lame cliche thrown in for good measure. It just wasn't a very convincing setting in the way they designed and executed it.

9. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 18, 2014, 14:42 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 11:16:
Visually stunning... cool!

PlayStation 3, Xbox 360... WHY?!

Didn't like Gothic 3. Crappy combat, shitty story. Didn't care much for Risen. Crappy combat, crappy NPCs. Never played Risen 2 after the myriad complaints about more crappy combat.

I'm not holding out much hope that these guys can finally make a game where the combat doesn't just flatout SUCK.

Gothic 2 had good combat. It wasn't mashy and required precise timing. It also required you to understand each enemy's attack patterns and behaviors so you could reliably dodge or block their attacks and land your hits. I thought the combat in Risen was pretty solid, though shields were ridiculously overpowered. Combat in Risen 2 was a step down, though they did add interesting special abilities to the mix. The companions in Risen 2 were great and I hope they return.

8. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 18, 2014, 11:16 Creston

Visually stunning... cool!

PlayStation 3, Xbox 360... WHY?!

Didn't like Gothic 3. Crappy combat, shitty story. Didn't care much for Risen. Crappy combat, crappy NPCs. Never played Risen 2 after the myriad complaints about more crappy combat.

I'm not holding out much hope that these guys can finally make a game where the combat doesn't just flatout SUCK.

7. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 18, 2014, 09:06 eRe4s3r

I wonder what they smoke to think someone preorders this based on a CGI trailer..... They gonna have to show way more than that....  

6. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 18, 2014, 03:00 TorchMaster

That is the same as the opening cinematic to The Witcher 1. Total look-alike spikey hellhound beast creature. Only much more lame.  

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

5. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 18, 2014, 01:14 Jerykk

4. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 18, 2014, 01:01 Slashman

3. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 17, 2014, 23:01 Jerykk

2. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 17, 2014, 20:10 CJ_Parker

That was retarded.  

1. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 17, 2014, 19:24 Cutter

Wtf was that?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo