Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners

Ars Technica introduces Steam Gauge, where they go all grognard on the topic of game sales on Valve's service based on publically available data. It's very lengthy and detailed, and draws some interesting conclusions about the most owned games on the service (Dota 2 is number one), most played games on Steam (ditto), and more. Perhaps the most interesting statistic they present is "that about 37 percent of the roughly 781 million games registered to various Steam accounts haven’t even been loaded a single time.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

27. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 10:57 Beamer

Dagnamit wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:48:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:30:
I no this is blasphemy to many, but with the backlog I have and it's only going to get larger. I'm more now for 15 hour'ish length games, For many games that go much longer my ADHD kicks in anyway as I become a bit bored repeating its game play for so long. I rather it just end around 15 and get to the next game. This is about the only chance I have at seeing the light of the backlog tunnel.

But I'm totally fine buying quality games at 75% off even if I don't get to them. A it is still $ in the devs pockets. B. It is setting a market and has played a factor in the lower costs of games.

That's like the Stick of Truth sitting at $60. I want it, but it doesn't match the value of so many other turn-based games out there. So I wait.

I almost always play through single player games on the easiest difficultly level. Turns a 20 hour game into a 12 hour game. Guess that makes me a content tourist, rather than a gamer!

Some games aren't games on Easy. That's a function of them being poorly made, but there have been many games where the AI just stands there and you miss out on what actually makes the action fun.

I've long since stopped playing on the hardest difficulty, though. I go one above default, or if there are only 3 levels, default, with a few exceptions (usually FPS games I'll still go hardest.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 10:52 avianflu

That % isnt at all surprising since Steam regularly sells large game collections for 5-15 bucks where I wanted only one of the games in the collection.

case in point -- Last month I finally bought all of DA:Origins just to play "awakenings" -- the other games in the series will be left unplayed.

25. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 10:48 Dagnamit

I no this is blasphemy to many, but with the backlog I have and it's only going to get larger. I'm more now for 15 hour'ish length games, For many games that go much longer my ADHD kicks in anyway as I become a bit bored repeating its game play for so long. I rather it just end around 15 and get to the next game. This is about the only chance I have at seeing the light of the backlog tunnel.

But I'm totally fine buying quality games at 75% off even if I don't get to them. A it is still $ in the devs pockets. B. It is setting a market and has played a factor in the lower costs of games.

That's like the Stick of Truth sitting at $60. I want it, but it doesn't match the value of so many other turn-based games out there. So I wait.

I almost always play through single player games on the easiest difficultly level. Turns a 20 hour game into a 12 hour game. Guess that makes me a content tourist, rather than a gamer!

24. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 10:34 Beamer

It's not blasphemy, I've said the same thing dozens of times. Yeah I've put 100+ hours into xcom and ftl, but many action games I want 12-16. Hell, the second island in FC3 pissed me off a bit and seeing two additional islands I didn't know about made me quite infamous.

I've loaded maybe 30% of my steam games. I've stopped buying mostly. And I wonder if I'll ever even play some of the awesome rpgs I kickstarted.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 10:30 HorrorScope

22. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 10:14 Slashman

Prez wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:39:
That's probably close to my personal percentage actually. I'll get to them evetually.

HA!!

21. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 10:13 SlimRam

Damn it, that reminds me I have GOT to fire up Snuggle Truck!  

They always say that everyone's good at something...

I just have to find the right kind of place that appreciates nude juggling of a midget, a hand grenade, and a porcupine while playing the kazoo and riding a unicycle backwards without a seat

20. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 10:09 Shineyguy

Pigeon wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:53:
That's probably close to my personal percentage actually. I'll get to them evetually.

I've been working through my back log and making progress. I've self instigated a moratorium on buying new games or playing MMOs. Currently working through Arkham City, which I bought over a year ago.

Don't feel bad. I've started Arkham Asylum 3 times now and STILL haven't finished it. Each time I start I play quite a bit for a week or two, then move back into playing the hot game that my buddies are playing (usually CoD of some kind, or Battlefield. However I skipped the Ghosts and MW3 wagon.)

19. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 10:03 Whiskers

I do still buy games that I don't intent to play right away and may not get around to playing at all depending on the way life goes, but I only buy games that are 75% off or more. That way I feel like I'm getting my monies worth if I only end up playing it for an hour or two and paid $5 for it.

If it is something I am going to play right away I will sometimes pick it up at 50% off, but I haven't bought a game at full price in quite a while.

18. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 10:01 Verno

This doesn't surprise me at all, so many people here post about their unplayed games in every sales thread.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

17. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 09:56 InBlack

Kajetan wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:55:
djinn wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:53:
Looked at the actual stats graph. Didn't a lot of these games come with bundles like Orange Box etc? You buy the bundle for the good stuff and end up getting a lot of stuff you don't need or want.
I bought the Orange Box bundle. Never installed and therefore never played Team Fortress 2.

You are missing out. Its quite a lot of fun.

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 09:55 Kajetan

djinn wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:53:
Looked at the actual stats graph. Didn't a lot of these games come with bundles like Orange Box etc? You buy the bundle for the good stuff and end up getting a lot of stuff you don't need or want.
I bought the Orange Box bundle. Never installed and therefore never played Team Fortress 2.

15. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 09:53 Pigeon

I've been working through my back log and making progress. I've self instigated a moratorium on buying new games or playing MMOs. Currently working through Arkham City, which I bought over a year ago.

14. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 09:47 LurkerLito

I am definitely in this category. It usually follows the same pattern, Oh that's a interesting game, no time to play it so I'll pick it up when it goes on sale. It goes on sale, at 75% off or in a bundle and it's an insta-buy just because I was interested when it was released. I still don't have time to play it but it's there in case I do have the time to play it lol. On the plus side because of my extremely large backlog it makes resisting buying new expensive games quite easy. To paraphrase a quote "When I was a kid, I had all the time to play games, but no money to buy them, now I have the money to buy them but no time to play them."

Signed
A Game Hoarder

13. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 09:39 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 09:36 Shineyguy

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:24:
Bitterbug wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:22:
Ricochet was part of the Half Life 2 pack years ago.
It came in at least the silver edition.
Oh that explains it

Yup, I bought HL2 Silver right when Steam was coming out (first game that required Steam to run) and got some garbage like Ricochet, which I have never started up.

There are quite a few games on my list of 150+ that I've never touched, mostly because on the Steam Summer/Winter sales, I will buy the packs of games for a good price, but only really be interested in a few of them.

11. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 09:24 SpectralMeat

Bitterbug wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:22:
Oh that explains it

Steam: SpectralMeat

10. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 09:22 Bitterbug

9. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 09:21 SpectralMeat

I still can't believe Ricochet outsold Skyrim.
Skyrim was on the top Steam seller list for like a year or more straight. Every single week.

Steam: SpectralMeat

8. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 09:17 Warrax

There's many free and bundled games in the list and you can clearly see the games that the owners buy and play, no wonder those aren't even played once like Ricochet, almost no ones gives a damn about this game.  

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo