Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners

Ars Technica introduces Steam Gauge, where they go all grognard on the topic of game sales on Valve's service based on publically available data. It's very lengthy and detailed, and draws some interesting conclusions about the most owned games on the service (Dota 2 is number one), most played games on Steam (ditto), and more. Perhaps the most interesting statistic they present is "that about 37 percent of the roughly 781 million games registered to various Steam accounts haven’t even been loaded a single time.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

47. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 13:54 Primalchrome

Sounds like a reasonable number to me. I've bought a number of games as bundles and not played them all. Then there are those that appear on sale for <$5 and I figure,"How can you go wrong at that price?" Then I play them when/if I hit a lull.

Bioshock 1, 2, and Infinite for $15. Finished 1 and Infinite...haven't touched 2. There's a 33%'er right there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 13:46 Acleacius

Probably right for me, but for the most part I bought them to have a copy online.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

45. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 13:45 Yosemite Sam

Completely meaningless data and totally inaccurate. First off every single game except two are Valve games and a lot of them were free at some point. Also Steam hasn't been keeping this kind of information since conception. A check of some of my Valve games that I played the crap out of a long time ago in a galaxy far ... oops, show that they are not installed or have ever been played.

EDIT the most interesting thing I'm seeing in that data is the fact that the vast majority of games on steam, even with all the wicked deals, are under the 5 million mark. I would be very curious to see the next 20 on the list.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2014, 13:52.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

44. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 13:44 Cutter

Otherwise known as the 'Prez Effect'.

I've loaded all my games at one point. Though some I only played a few minutes and probably at least half, if not over, I've never finished. I've also found that as I get older my purchasing becomes much more selective with that in mind, 'Am I really going to play this and finish it/get my money's worth from it?' Whereas a decade a go it was almost strictly impulse.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

43. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 13:18 Deathbishop

I fit those numbers perfectly. Relatively large library but very few have been played. It's an even smaller percentage of what I've actually finished. Some of the has to do with time (not a lot of it available) and some of it has to do with being occupied with non-steam games. For example, I'm currently playing Hearthstone but I can easily be playing a non-steam MMO.

On the same token, it hasn't stopped me from buying anything if I think the game is interesting. I think of my library as more of a collection than anything else.

42. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 12:42 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 12:34:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 11:18:
Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 11:03:
I always find it kind of interesting when people "play games for the story."
Outside of a small handful, almost every game story is pretty weak and poorly presented.

When I'm out just for story, I read, which I probably do as much as game these days. Books, those have stories. Video games? They have ideas that sort of form into a bit of a story.

Generalization is never a good idea in such a topic ;p "Video games" is very far reaching, and includes visual novels too....

Now granted, there are not a lot of games with any semblance of good story.... but there are still enough to maybe play one every month (except SOME months, urgh)

Yeah, haha, but you agreed with me. I said "outside a small handful" and you said "not a lot of games."

Well... you are right. Whoops Actually I do agree with you even in another way.. I also read more books lately than I play story-driven games....

I mainly replied because there is a lot of reading in visual novels, so to me, they are like better books ;p

41. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 12:34 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 11:18:
Outside of a small handful, almost every game story is pretty weak and poorly presented.

When I'm out just for story, I read, which I probably do as much as game these days. Books, those have stories. Video games? They have ideas that sort of form into a bit of a story.

Generalization is never a good idea in such a topic ;p "Video games" is very far reaching, and includes visual novels too....

Now granted, there are not a lot of games with any semblance of good story.... but there are still enough to maybe play one every month (except SOME months, urgh)

Yeah, haha, but you agreed with me. I said "outside a small handful" and you said "not a lot of games."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

40. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 12:32 gsilver

Bundles are a big contributing factor to this. I often purchase bundles because I want to play 2-3 games in them, and they're cheap enough that it's very often worth buying a bundle for just two games in it. There are a number of games that have been in bundles that had yet to break the bundle price even individually.

Then, when you get the bundle, you can either redeem the codes for the games that you're unlikely to play, or let them sit.

Though when I buy games individually, by now it's almost always when I have time to play that particular game... though I still haven't found time to play Tomb Raider, which I bought over Christmas for $5

Edit:
Though just for fits and shiggles, I checked my Steam account. Yes, I do own Ricochet. I have no idea when I got it, but I assume that it was a fire-and-forget bundle redemption.

39. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 12:02 Pigeon

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:58:
Dagnamit wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:48:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:30:
I no this is blasphemy to many, but with the backlog I have and it's only going to get larger. I'm more now for 15 hour'ish length games, For many games that go much longer my ADHD kicks in anyway as I become a bit bored repeating its game play for so long. I rather it just end around 15 and get to the next game. This is about the only chance I have at seeing the light of the backlog tunnel.

But I'm totally fine buying quality games at 75% off even if I don't get to them. A it is still $ in the devs pockets. B. It is setting a market and has played a factor in the lower costs of games.

That's like the Stick of Truth sitting at $60. I want it, but it doesn't match the value of so many other turn-based games out there. So I wait.

I almost always play through single player games on the easiest difficultly level. Turns a 20 hour game into a 12 hour game. Guess that makes me a content tourist, rather than a gamer!

Aside from it being Blasphemy, what you describe really is not ;p

I often set games to easy too, and I am an hardcore twitch gamer to the extreme otherwise. Only games I enjoy playing I set to "normal" ,p where normal is that neither AI nor me get any advantages.

In the end I play a game for good engaging gameplay and story, for immersion and atmosphere. Not for some number based challenge or grind.

I only play higher difficulty when I really love the game.

I usually settle for normal, I figure that's what the game play is tuned too. Some games scale difficulty well though, I think I played Deus Ex: HR on hard. I don't remember feeling too limited in how I played. Other games (like most strategy games) give the AI such a huge advantage you're forced to use a specific strategy.

38. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 11:53 Creston

In your opinion. In my opinion, quite a few games do pretty interesting stories. Interesting enough, at least, to keep my attention the first time through. If the gameplay is decent to go with it, I'll have a good time.

This is why I don't really buy games anymore that have nothing but skirmishes (sins of a solar empire, for example.) They bore me to tears after one or two games.

Books have stories, yes. That doesn't make them inherently better at them than games, because there are a LOT of really, really shity stories in books.

37. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 11:50 BitWraith

Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 11:49:
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 11:48:
Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 11:46:
But I think 37% is probably the amount of games I own that I haven't actually played yet. It might even inch closer to 45-50%.

Sigh.
By the time you get to play them they will look and feel so outdated you do not want to play them at all.

Nah, that's never been a problem for me fortunately. I still play Ultima 3

You're a good man. Ultima 3 is quality shiz.

36. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 11:49 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 11:48:
But I think 37% is probably the amount of games I own that I haven't actually played yet. It might even inch closer to 45-50%.

Sigh.
By the time you get to play them they will look and feel so outdated you do not want to play them at all.

Nah, that's never been a problem for me fortunately. I still play Ultima 3

35. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 11:48 SpectralMeat

Sigh.

Steam: SpectralMeat

34. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 11:46 Creston

I've actually loaded almost every single game I own, because I make backups of them and store them locally on an external drive.

Sigh. On the flipside, if and when the game industry finally goes full publisher retard, I can heartily ignore it and play thousands upon thousands of hours of games I've either never played yet, or only played once.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2014, 11:54.

33. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 11:44 avianflu

a good point D.

descender wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 11:25:
This list would be a lot more useful if it wasn't littered with F2P titles (DOTA2/TF2/Warframe) that definitely should not count as "owned" especially if you've NEVER ran the game before... or games that valve has given away for free (like L4D2).

Oh Ars, how ye continually disappoints.

32. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 11:25 descender

This list would be a lot more useful if it wasn't littered with F2P titles (DOTA2/TF2/Warframe) that definitely should not count as "owned" especially if you've NEVER ran the game before... or games that valve has given away for free (like L4D2).

Oh Ars, how ye continually disappoints.

31. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 11:18 eRe4s3r

30. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 11:03 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 11:01 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:21:
I still can't believe Ricochet outsold Skyrim.
Skyrim was on the top Steam seller list for like a year or more straight. Every single week.

Ricochet is and was part of basically ever single valve pack ever sold. Not to mention they gave it away for free during community events more than once

28. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 10:58 eRe4s3r

Dagnamit wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:48:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:30:
I no this is blasphemy to many, but with the backlog I have and it's only going to get larger. I'm more now for 15 hour'ish length games, For many games that go much longer my ADHD kicks in anyway as I become a bit bored repeating its game play for so long. I rather it just end around 15 and get to the next game. This is about the only chance I have at seeing the light of the backlog tunnel.

But I'm totally fine buying quality games at 75% off even if I don't get to them. A it is still $ in the devs pockets. B. It is setting a market and has played a factor in the lower costs of games.

That's like the Stick of Truth sitting at $60. I want it, but it doesn't match the value of so many other turn-based games out there. So I wait.

I almost always play through single player games on the easiest difficultly level. Turns a 20 hour game into a 12 hour game. Guess that makes me a content tourist, rather than a gamer!

Aside from it being Blasphemy, what you describe really is not ;p

I often set games to easy too, and I am an hardcore twitch gamer to the extreme otherwise. Only games I enjoy playing I set to "normal" ,p where normal is that neither AI nor me get any advantages.

In the end I play a game for good engaging gameplay and story, for immersion and atmosphere. Not for some number based challenge or grind.

I only play higher difficulty when I really love the game.

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo