Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 10:37 panbient

InBlack wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:26:
I completely disagree that music is NOT a vital component of the product. Ok this might be a subjective thing, but to name one example the first Diablo wouldnt have achieved cult status without the brilliant soundtrack...

That's fair, and as someone who's played music for 20 years I can relate. But what I mean by 'vital' is that the game can still function without that element. Diablo still works as a game without the music. The music absolutely adds to the experience, but it wouldn't actually break the game if it wasn't there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 10:26 InBlack

panbient wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:13:
nin wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:53:
Halo, Destiny composer Marty O'Donnell fired by Bungie.

Like to know what happened there, as he's claiming "without cause"...

Sounds like a financial decision more than anything. "Without cause" means through no fault of the employee and doesn't tarnish their reputation for future work within the industry. In Canada being terminated "without cause" also affords the former employee the chance to draw unemployment benefits from the government while they look for other work or retrain / develop new skills, not entirely sure how it works out state side, but I can't see it being a negative mark on the employee.

As for the potential political angle, I doubt it, a personal clash would have happened years ago. After 15 years on the job I'd expect their salary was on the higher end of the spectrum. Again, more of a financial decision than a personal one. At a time when AAA development costs keep going up and up it seems odd to keep a composer on staff rather than contracting out as necessary (or simply licensing music) as a product nears release. That's not to say music doesn't add to a game's experience, but unless you're playing a rhythm game it's not a vital component of the product.

Agree completely with the first paragraph and part of the second one. However licencing music is fairly expensive (depending on who you licence it from). A cheaper alternative would be to have someone compose original music, which is why most films/games/TV have original music scores. However if you have someone on a salary and that person does 6 months of work for a game thats in development for 5 years, well that would be fairly expensive obviously depending on the salary.

I completely disagree that music is NOT a vital component of the product. Ok this might be a subjective thing, but to name one example the first Diablo wouldnt have achieved cult status without the brilliant soundtrack...

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2014, 10:40.

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 10:13 panbient

nin wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:53:

Sounds like a financial decision more than anything. "Without cause" means through no fault of the employee and doesn't tarnish their reputation for future work within the industry. In Canada being terminated "without cause" also affords the former employee the chance to draw unemployment benefits from the government while they look for other work or retrain / develop new skills, not entirely sure how it works out state side, but I can't see it being a negative mark on the employee.

As for the potential political angle, I doubt it, a personal clash would have happened years ago. After 15 years on the job I'd expect their salary was on the higher end of the spectrum. Again, more of a financial decision than a personal one. At a time when AAA development costs keep going up and up it seems odd to keep a composer on staff rather than contracting out as necessary (or simply licensing music) as a product nears release. That's not to say music doesn't add to a game's experience, but unless you're playing a rhythm game it's not a vital component of the product.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 10:10 nin

Desalus wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:56:
It's interesting that his wiki page states this:

O'Donnell is a self-described political conservative, and his coworkers at Bungie described him as the most right-leaning employee at the company.

To be called out on your political views at work is usually not a good thing unless you work in politics. After 15 years as a full time employee, to be terminated 'without cause' usually comes down to personality clashes.

Let's not stir that pot before we even know what's in it...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 10:03 Verno

Sony getting out of bed with Square isn't surprising, Square is floundering and Sony needs to shore itself up.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 09:56 Desalus

It's interesting that his wiki page states this:

O'Donnell is a self-described political conservative, and his coworkers at Bungie described him as the most right-leaning employee at the company.

To be called out on your political views at work is usually not a good thing unless you work in politics. After 15 years as a full time employee, to be terminated 'without cause' usually comes down to personality clashes.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 09:19 InBlack

New Music Leads: Justin Bieber, and Pharrrellllll (never sure how many r's and l's go in there)  

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 09:04 1badmf

yeah, marty was one of the original bungie employees, from even before the MS buyout. curious what could've happened to have fired one of the cornerstones of the company.  

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 08:53 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo