Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M

A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries website announces that crowd-sourced funding for Star Citizen has hit a new milestone, as RSI has now collected over $42 million to develop the space combat game. This triggers several "celebratory goals," including a couple for all who backed them before they hit the $42M mark: an updated Observist Guide and a towel for your hangar, though Douglass Adams would recommend taking it with you at all times. They also reveal the $44 million goal as an additional hangar room, and have a poll up to vote on their $45 million goal.

View
144 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

144. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 17, 2014, 18:04 Quboid

Thanks Drillo. I thought maybe they'd revealed a bit more because they're being so transparent but there's no particular reason why they would or should.  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

143. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 22:24 Drillo

Quboid wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 21:10:
Drillo wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 23:50:
I know you put it up as an hypothetical, but they said its going all to development

I didn't know that - I admit that I am ignorant on this subject, but unlike some I do know that I'm ignorant. Has he talked about how much he and other senior figures are getting paid? I wouldn't begrudge him a decent wage in additional to presumably owning some of the company, but naturally a 7 figure annual income would be a bit dicey.

(Why aren't their more people like you on, here? )

They never really go into the natty gritty, just like any other company ever. But i'll pull up the video that goes through their cost and it gives a nice insight into their development process. Regardless i'm not expecting a 7 figure annual income for their employees with their budget that would be fucking stupid lol and given once again lots of it is going towards making the game and not paying big cash to top guys. So i'm going to assume that they are not giving people stupid money and are budgeting right with people they hire. An are hiring right. (Though they have, let go of people that could not handle it)

Though a little perspective would be that. Making these high detailed ships big and or small are not cheap at all. In regards to time and money and personal. Making these 50+ ships cost anywhere to 35k to 100k (sounds ridiculous, but shit is not cheap) as they get bigger and bigger. Creating large scale assets cost money in this game, so that's part of the reason it justifies some of the out there prices for packages/ships and all its goodies and access. An given the level CR wants them to be at in game. He does not what them to be non functional husk with pretty textures and meshes. He wants them to actually work.

Anyways some of the stuff, I'm talking about can be found here somewhat:

Game Ship Asset Cost for Star Citizen

Breathing New Life Into PC Games & Space Sims Panel

(Does not talk about much about wages, what Game studios does? so again I'm sure they are not taking out huge figures and bonus for themselves.)

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2014, 22:33.

142. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 21:10 Quboid

Drillo wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 23:50:
I know you put it up as an hypothetical, but they said its going all to development

I didn't know that - I admit that I am ignorant on this subject, but unlike some I do know that I'm ignorant. Has he talked about how much he and other senior figures are getting paid? I wouldn't begrudge him a decent wage in additional to presumably owning some of the company, but naturally a 7 figure annual income would be a bit dicey.

- Quboid

141. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 12:54 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 12:20:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 12:17:
Have they got to the point yet in their development cycle of "Only 1,000 of these ships is available at this time with no future release. You can have one today for $10,000"?

Cause if they haven't, I predict that next.
I thought they did have some "limited edition" ships.

They gave away insurance (which costs in-game currency) with ship purchases which as far as I know had a completely artificial cut-off point, and which swelled their coffers as that deadline approached.

- Quboid

140. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 12:47 Creston

TheVocalMinority wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:15:
I'm tempted to back SC as a sign of appreciation for the entertainment I get from reading the blues new comments section whenever the game is mentioned.

I'm sure people have backed SC for weirder reasons.

139. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 12:33 Beamer

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 12:00:
Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:41:
BitWraith wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:38:
Bluesnews community logic:

Game company gets 50 million from Electronic Arts: "Bah! EA is evil! These guys have sold out! How dare they get their funding from such an evil corporation!"

Game company gets 50 million from private crowd-sourced investors: "Bah! This is a scam! These people are ripping everyone off! Where is all that money going?"

How do you people expect these folks to get their games made? Of course they're not spending this money on development. They making a profit - good on them for finding a business model that works for them. Do you seriously expect these guys to work at a completely even margin? Spending only exactly what is needed for development? They might actually want to make some money off of this.

The only issue I have is that $50mm doesn't seem nearly enough for what they've outlined. And buying $100 shops for a game that may never come out, or that may end up useless to you if the game does come out, is dumb. Otherwise? If they pull this off awesome, everyone wins. I'd they don't awesome, only idiots lose. Whole thing seems so they right now that arguing is pointless. This isn't some new interested product, it's a new untested yeah and we have little evidence to draw inferences from.

Dude did you write that when you were stoned or was you using some cheap-ass speech recognition software that garbled shit up like that?!

Phone, in bed. Learning the new Swype style keyboard.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

138. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 12:20 SpectralMeat

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 12:17:
Have they got to the point yet in their development cycle of "Only 1,000 of these ships is available at this time with no future release. You can have one today for $10,000"?

I thought they did have some "limited edition" ships.

Steam: SpectralMeat

137. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 12:17 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

136. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 12:00 CJ_Parker

Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:41:

Game company gets 50 million from Electronic Arts: "Bah! EA is evil! These guys have sold out! How dare they get their funding from such an evil corporation!"

Game company gets 50 million from private crowd-sourced investors: "Bah! This is a scam! These people are ripping everyone off! Where is all that money going?"

How do you people expect these folks to get their games made? Of course they're not spending this money on development. They making a profit - good on them for finding a business model that works for them. Do you seriously expect these guys to work at a completely even margin? Spending only exactly what is needed for development? They might actually want to make some money off of this.

The only issue I have is that $50mm doesn't seem nearly enough for what they've outlined. And buying $100 shops for a game that may never come out, or that may end up useless to you if the game does come out, is dumb. Otherwise? If they pull this off awesome, everyone wins. I'd they don't awesome, only idiots lose. Whole thing seems so they right now that arguing is pointless. This isn't some new interested product, it's a new untested yeah and we have little evidence to draw inferences from.

Dude did you write that when you were stoned or was you using some cheap-ass speech recognition software that garbled shit up like that?!

135. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 10:50 Jamil20

Drillo wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:17:
Never the less. Go search Foundry42 on youtube. They are the ones working on SQ42 and they show a little bit of that code you want so badly. Though you do a lot of assuming with no facts? is that a thing around here on blue news for some?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V_LaK916D4

Edit: I'll do it for you. Also its not 2014, its early 2015 now. (Everything is subject to change)

Gah, I really hope there are no turret sequences. /Please/ tell me there are no turret sequences! I will hurt puppies and kittens if I have to experience this sort of gameplay again.

134. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 10:41 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

133. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 09:44 Drillo

InBlack wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:35:
Thanks Mr. not-employed-by-CR, that was informative.

Dude I'm not employed by them... But your welcome. Its called knowing whats up. I've been following this project since 2012. (While i was looking for classic Homeworld music )

I like to keep my self informed. I don't have a rolodex of this shit. Google is my friend...well search engines are. Oh if you want to watch something live. Go watch or look for Robert space industries on twitch. There will be a live stream at 9:00 PT. Talking about whats going on at CIG.

(It can be silly sometimes and hammy. But good information does show itself)

132. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 09:35 InBlack

Thanks Mr. not-employed-by-CR, that was informative.  

I have a nifty blue line!

131. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 09:17 SpectralMeat

InBlack wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:13:
I want to know why they havent shown any Squadron42 gameplay footage yet. A teaser, anything really to justify their 2014 release date (yeah right). My guess is there isnt any, because not a single line of code has been written for Squadron42 so far.
They are busy working on helmet animation instead.
It is like spending a weekend polishing a hub cap on an 1998 Chevy Cavalier meanwhile the engine is falling apart.

130. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 09:17 Drillo

InBlack wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:13:
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:51:
They might actually want to make some money off of this.
Obviously, ones the game is finished, aka work has been done not before.
If the game is the best thing evah! By all means make millions, when the game ships, but this "hey you've paid us 42 mill here is a towel" shit is just ridiculus

I want to know why they havent shown any Squadron42 gameplay footage yet. A teaser, anything really to justify their 2014 release date (yeah right). My guess is there isnt any, because not a single line of code has been written for Squadron42 so far.

Because its the single player aspect of the game. Why would you show off the single player aspect of the game? that would be called a spoiler.

Never the less. Go search Foundry42 on youtube. They are the ones working on SQ42 and they show a little bit of that code you want so badly. Though you do a lot of assuming with no facts? is that a thing around here on blue news for some?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V_LaK916D4

Edit: I'll do it for you. Also its not 2014, its early 2015 now. (Everything is subject to change)

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2014, 09:23.

129. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 09:13 InBlack

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:51:
If the game is the best thing evah! By all means make millions, when the game ships, but this "hey you've paid us 42 mill here is a towel" shit is just ridiculus

I want to know why they havent shown any Squadron42 gameplay footage yet? A teaser, anything really to justify their 2014 release date (yeah right). My guess is there isnt any, because not a single line of code has been written for Squadron42 so far.

I have a nifty blue line!

128. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 09:03 panbient

This doesn't make any sense at all. Until there's a product released the only thing they can 'profit' from is by cannibalizing the hope and hype of their own community. Profiting from that seems akin to exploitation in my eyes. If that actually is the case then open your eyes to the scam.

Until there's a product released (does not need to be the SC game, could be branded t-shirts or mouse pads or whatever) for commercial sale they don't have a means to generate an actual profit. And the profit only exists as the difference between what they paid for those products to be created and how much they sell them for. Skimming the top of the funding pile and calling that 'profit' is fraud.

127. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 08:59 Drillo

panbient wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:48:
Drillo wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 06:37:
Also, wait are you implying that i work for CIG? haahhahaha/lmao/ROFL i fucking wish. Now take off that Tin foil hat and come back to reality buddy.

*laughs off in the distant*

If you keep acting like a typical street team marketer trying to shut down or disprove any perceived negativity towards the product and whitewashing or repeating PR lines for everything else then yeah, I think more and more people are going to start assuming you're a shill. CIG wouldn't need to pay cash, I'm sure the promise of a free ship once the game launches would be enough for their most enthusiastic fans to do some viral marketing on their behalf.

Also no one should ever respond to [VG]Reagle in SC threads. They've been posting the same rant forever. But at least now they're recycling a version with correct spelling. The fact that you wrote a full screen worth of text as a response to their obvious trolling kind of makes you look like a shill trying to shut down any negativity. That, or a fanboy with so much blind faith in the ideal of the product that you'll never actually give it a critical beyond the parts PR openly criticizes (ie - there's no problem with the development team, the problem is the Cry Engine NOT anyone or anything within CIG)

Fanboy? or A person highly informed about what he's talking about? is more like it. Not blind faith. But i know what i'm talking about when it comes to this game. An shutting down mis conceptions and misunderstandings. To me is not a bad thing.

I mean, i'm bringing facts to the table while others like to sprout. Fact less negativity. I mean how hard is it to do research on a game your bashing?. It takes two minutes on google.

Oh i HATE fucking Speculation. On rather not. Something wrong is happening with CIG. Because i don't have any idea. Other then the videos they show us and the inside looks. An articles.Never the less, they are transparent. They can't hide shit really. The fuckers on the site are like vultures. But man you guys (at least you)have been on the internet to long. If you believe I'm a shill...............i mean even if. I deny it i doubt it will do much good. I guess. Given you want to think so.

If some one hired me then they did a VERY poor job, and to get a free ship? that's some shady shit. To be accused of. I want no part of that. Other then that, maybe you should peep my join date. Its pretty recent. So i have NO idea who the trolls are here . Because there are so many.

But if i can't state facts, because they are perceived as "PR" lines. Then what the hell is left? i put up links, videos, what else is there. Or are the people on this site that stubborn and jaded?
This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2014, 09:13.

126. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 08:51 SpectralMeat

125. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 08:48 panbient

Drillo wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 06:37:
Also, wait are you implying that i work for CIG? haahhahaha/lmao/ROFL i fucking wish. Now take off that Tin foil hat and come back to reality buddy.

*laughs off in the distant*

If you keep acting like a typical street team marketer trying to shut down or disprove any perceived negativity towards the product and whitewashing or repeating PR lines for everything else then yeah, I think more and more people are going to start assuming you're a shill. CIG wouldn't need to pay cash, I'm sure the promise of a free ship once the game launches would be enough for their most enthusiastic fans to do some viral marketing on their behalf.

Also no one should ever respond to [VG]Reagle in SC threads. They've been posting the same rant forever. But at least now they're recycling a version with correct spelling. The fact that you wrote a full screen worth of text as a response to their obvious trolling kind of makes you look like a shill trying to shut down any negativity. That, or a fanboy with so much blind faith in the ideal of the product that you'll never actually give it a critical beyond the parts PR openly criticizes (ie - there's no problem with the development team, the problem is the Cry Engine NOT anyone or anything within CIG)

144 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo