Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers

This trailer and a part two from PAX East show off Star Citizen, RSI's upcoming space combat game. The clips feature actual gameplay from the CryENGINE game, including a narrated live session where Chris Roberts demonstrates Arena Commander, the game's standalone multiplayer dogfighting module. Thanks PC Gamer.

View
189 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

189. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 16, 2014, 14:10 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:07:
It's been a while since we had a 200+ post thread. Can't you guys keep arguing a bit more?

I heard Chris Roberts is a gay-bashing Tea Partier who belongs to the Westboro Baptist Church!

Made ME laugh! Laugh2

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

188. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 16, 2014, 09:39 Drillo

Prez wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:20:
Oh lighten up - it was a joke!

187. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 16, 2014, 09:20 Prez

Oh lighten up - it was a joke!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

186. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 16, 2014, 08:27 Drillo

Prez wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:07:
It's been a while since we had a 200+ post thread. Can't you guys keep arguing a bit more?

I heard Chris Roberts is a gay-bashing Tea Partier who belongs to the Westboro Baptist Church!

185. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 16, 2014, 08:07 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

184. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 15, 2014, 20:19 Drillo

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 19:50:
You're wasting your time, Drillo. Welcome to the echo chamber that is the Blue's News comments board.

183. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 15, 2014, 19:50 Mad Max RW

You're wasting your time, Drillo. Welcome to the echo chamber that is the Blue's News comments board.  

182. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 15, 2014, 15:54 Drillo

Beamer wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 15:14:
Drillo wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 15:12:
Beamer wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 14:54:
And this is why smart companies don't show anything until a game is ready. SC doesn't have that luxury, being not only crowd-funded but crowd-funded and behind on promises, but...

Seriously, people. Lots of games suck until the final few months. It isn't uncommon. Things can take a lot of time to actually gel, and showing something before is showing a framework without much built on to it.

What we're seeing here, frankly, looks dull as anything. But that's because it's basically a proof-of-concept. It's got limited framework, which will undoubtedly be iterated upon immensely.

Will the game be fun? Who knows? Will it be worth the money? Who knows? I hardly care.
But it's hysterical to see people calling this game a failure based on something that's maybe 20% done.
Again, this is why smart companies tell us nothing. This is why we have no clue why HL3 is in the works. This is why we only found out about a new Civ a handful of months before launch. Because, otherwise, people pick things apart that isn't nearly ready for prime time. And yeah, I get that this piece should already be released, but that doesn't mean it's near completion, nor does it mean that the piece that will be released is near completion relative to the final, bloated product.

The point of all this IS to show what they are doing. An not to keep people in the dark until the last minute. Its going to be rough. But that's what happens, when you are trending on new ground and all the while being transparent. Plus the only people that really care about that aspect and appreciate it are those that are tried of being lied to. When the final game is not what was promised 1 year go. Its to keep people in the know. So they can make the choice of either jumping out or staying.

NO SCAMS
NO Switches
NO CGI that shows nothing of whats to come (Dead Island and many others) or shows what actually is.
...etc

So it has nothing do to with being smart or dumb. This is a gamble a double edged sword and people are watching and so far they have at least shown progress and not shitty crappy work. An once they release this piece of the game. That's the time to judge a little. Though judging know that it not a finished game AT all and that it is still in pre-alpha (CIG has warned and noted this themselves. Not me).

An official Alpha and Beta will start next year.

You're arguing what now, exactly? I said that a smart company doesn't do this, but SC doesn't have that luxury. You than parrot that in different words, but use negatives as if you're disagreeing.

You aren't. You said exactly what I said. And yes, it does have to do with being smart or dumb for most companies, but, like I said, SC doesn't have the luxury of being smart. They are forced to show us stuff, and they're being judged very harshly on things that, without crowdfunding, no one has any reason to see.

Talking in a general sense...

181. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 15, 2014, 15:14 Beamer

Drillo wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 15:12:
And this is why smart companies don't show anything until a game is ready. SC doesn't have that luxury, being not only crowd-funded but crowd-funded and behind on promises, but...

Seriously, people. Lots of games suck until the final few months. It isn't uncommon. Things can take a lot of time to actually gel, and showing something before is showing a framework without much built on to it.

What we're seeing here, frankly, looks dull as anything. But that's because it's basically a proof-of-concept. It's got limited framework, which will undoubtedly be iterated upon immensely.

Will the game be fun? Who knows? Will it be worth the money? Who knows? I hardly care.
But it's hysterical to see people calling this game a failure based on something that's maybe 20% done.
Again, this is why smart companies tell us nothing. This is why we have no clue why HL3 is in the works. This is why we only found out about a new Civ a handful of months before launch. Because, otherwise, people pick things apart that isn't nearly ready for prime time. And yeah, I get that this piece should already be released, but that doesn't mean it's near completion, nor does it mean that the piece that will be released is near completion relative to the final, bloated product.

The point of all this IS to show what they are doing. An not to keep people in the dark until the last minute. Its going to be rough. But that's what happens, when you are trending on new ground and all the while being transparent. Plus the only people that really care about that aspect and appreciate it are those that are tried of being lied to. When the final game is not what was promised 1 year go. Its to keep people in the know. So they can make the choice of either jumping out or staying.

NO SCAMS
NO Switches
NO CGI that shows nothing of whats to come (Dead Island and many others) or shows what actually is.
...etc

So it has nothing do to with being smart or dumb. This is a gamble a double edged sword and people are watching and so far they have at least shown progress and not shitty crappy work. An once they release this piece of the game. That's the time to judge a little. Though judging know that it not a finished game AT all and that it is still in pre-alpha (CIG has warned and noted this themselves. Not me).

You're arguing what now, exactly? I said that a smart company doesn't do this, but SC doesn't have that luxury. You than parrot that in different words, but use negatives as if you're disagreeing.

You aren't. You said exactly what I said. And yes, it does have to do with being smart or dumb for most companies, but, like I said, SC doesn't have the luxury of being smart. They are forced to show us stuff, and they're being judged very harshly on things that, without crowdfunding, no one has any reason to see.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

180. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 15, 2014, 15:12 Drillo

NO SCAMS
NO Switches
...etc

So it has nothing do to with being smart or dumb. This is a gamble a double edged sword and people are watching and so far they have at least shown progress and not shitty crappy work. An once they release this piece of the game. That's the time to judge a little. Though judging fairly knowing that it not a finished game AT all and that it is still in pre-alpha.

(CIG has warned and noted this themselves. Not me)

You judge and review and critic a final product with a fine teeth comb...but with this? no not yet. Unless your a backer or place your concerns to the devs (Who will answer) directly or indirectly.

179. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 15, 2014, 14:54 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

178. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 15, 2014, 14:44 Drillo

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 08:08:
Quinn wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 08:00:
Not impressed. Period. Don't give a shit what the future seems to hold according to your crystal ball.
It looks even less impressive if you compare it to that other space game, that is in beta right now and made 1/15th of the money this game made in crowd funding.
This not in beta at all...nor is it in alpha...its in pre-alpha.

Plus that, OTHER space game ED. Has been in development for close to ten years now and has work on off and on for YEARS. So comparing the two is disingenuous.

Elite dangerous, has been in development for close to ten years off and on. So they should have a head start. As stated here. By one of Frontiers Designers for Elite dangerous.

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6859
http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?p=349538#post349538

“Mike Evans:

I’m sure it’s been said before on the forums but technically everything you’ve seen of Elite so far has been created post kickstarter, not before. Those ten years of skunkworks development got the engine in the right place to start development, but the actual game, the meat of it, was created once the kickstarter finished and proper production began. ”

Frontier is an old studio's and has an in-house engine. An CIG is a brand new studio that had to get its house in order to make this game, while reworking a engine to boot.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2014, 14:52.

177. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 15, 2014, 09:41 Jamil20

Drillo wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 20:55:
An you will get that later early next year (Its always been that way in some form or another in the context of things). So for a person that has backed the game. You seem not to know what is going on. They never said that SQ42 would be available right now and they are not and where never going to let you play it before it was finished let alone do "Alpha and beta" test for it. They have ALWAYS said that we would be getting the Hangar, and then the Dog fighting modular RIGHT after the Kickstarter phase ended and the game expanded with Crowd funding.

So everything might seem like a DISTRACTION to you, given all you want to play is the single player aspect. Which is fine and you will get that much sooner then anyone else. But those "Distractions" -in which they are not- is all in an effort to make and flesh out Star Citizen the PU/MMO component of the game that was unlocked doing the crowd funding phase and its to flesh out mechanics and features so you have a game to play. When SQ42 comes around.

This is modular development get with the program.

Food for thought.
Did you forget the release estimated sheducule for the game? and then
they hashed out a new one more recently.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_Release_Schedule

Thanks for the lengthy explanation. I do understand that this is the direction they are taking. I just don't agree with it. I'm not interested in a multiplayer 'MMO' game. They look good on paper, but usually suck in implementation. The problem is always people. People suck. Every online game I've played has griefers and hackers run amok. No thank you.

Give me a good single player experience ala Skyrim. Forget the other garbage.

Also, I have trouble finding the game in an 'open-world' space game. They say, 'Explore, trade, be a pirate!'. I say that shit is all boring and feels too much like work.

Combat isn't competitive since fights are only determined by who brings the biggest numbers. I want healthy competition, not gankfests. But without a system to control that, people will take the path of least resistance.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2014, 09:50.

176. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 15, 2014, 08:08 SpectralMeat

Quinn wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 08:00:
Not impressed. Period. Don't give a shit what the future seems to hold according to your crystal ball.
It looks even less impressive if you compare it to that other space game, that is in beta right now and made 1/15th of the money this game made in crowd funding.

Steam: SpectralMeat

175. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 15, 2014, 08:00 Quinn

Jesus, now lets all have sex.

Blah blah blah all I'm seeing is two gameplay trailers who show, indeed, juuust another space sim and it's unimpressive at that. Couldn't care less about future plans and ambitions. I see a game that keeps taking money from fans since forever by now yet looks like just another freaking space sim with a helmet animation, no zero gravity when the ship breaks into pieces and no proper collision when flying into astroids.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

174. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 15, 2014, 02:34 Drillo

Quboid wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 22:42:
Drillo, you're unhealthy attached to this. Most people just don't care enough to research this stuff and they - we - never will. You know your stuff and I know it's frustrating to see people get it wrong or cite speculation as fact. But dude, look at your post history, if you're not a shill then you have an unhealthy obsession. People get stuff wrong on the Internet all the time and you won't educate the world - you just look so emotionally invested that you can't be considered reliable.

If you really want to win people over, think out your posts. Link sources appropriately, organise things, redraft it, and for the love of God, I hate to be a grammar Nazi but no one will ever be convinced by stuff like this:

So i rather be a Informed, logical minded Fanboy with evidence to back me up. Then a clueless message board dweller waiting to start of the next mindless shit storm...Though a sold cautious mind and apprehensive is nice and good. But straight up blind bashing lacks intelligence right off the bat.

What? That's barely coherent. In fact, as far as I can tell you actually describe yourself as a clueless message board dweller waiting to start a shit storm.

Stop insulting people. I know, it gets frustrating and I think we can all reach a point where we give up trying to be nice but again, no one will give a flying flip about the thoughts of someone who's just thrown a load of insults their way - or anyone else's way. I largely agree with you on these issues but even if I was informed enough to contribute, I wouldn't want to be in your camp.

The whole conversation is a joke. Regardless of those who are emotionally invested in SC either way, it game isn't out yet and we know practically nothing about it.

TL;DR:

nin wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 21:44:
You're not going to win people over with a fucking novel. No one gives a fuck.

Indeed.

That's what happens when, you post when your sleepy. ;p

(That's the big problem with most people, they SHOULD care to do research before spewing out, post. On things they don't know about.
Then you would not have to see people like me come jumping in.)

Also i'm not like most people. I like to keep informed about things before forming an opinion on something. An when i see the opposite on a gaming forum/thread with people putting forth absolutes and perplexing opinions born from false premise's.

Things get messy...sometimes it works out sometimes it does not...

My whole point here is to correct fallacies. I have seen at least 8 articles on this site about Star Citizen. All top, threads. What they contained was freaking, massive amounts of misinformation and hyperbole.

But i hear ya. Though to be frank i don't need anyone in my camp. But i digress. At the very least people can look at the links that i provided and do some reading. Being a shill or a fanboy or whatever does not brother me. Those are just meaningless labels. When i know for a fact that. I'm at least trying to provide something, that is fact based.

Cheers,

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2014, 02:53.

173. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 15, 2014, 02:30 Drillo

Kosumo wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 22:54:
If you really want to win people over, think out your posts. Link sources appropriately, organise things, redraft it, and for the love of God, I hate to be a grammar Nazi but no one will ever be convinced by stuff like this:

So i rather be a Informed, logical minded Fanboy with evidence to back me up. Then a clueless message board dweller waiting to start of the next mindless shit storm...Though a sold cautious mind and apprehensive is nice and good. But straight up blind bashing lacks intelligence right off the bat.

What? That's barely coherent. In fact, as far as I can tell you actually describe yourself as a clueless message board dweller waiting to start a shit storm.

To defend him, I would say he has dyslexis, as do I, and what he writes seems fine to me but I know it is confusing.

What you have is two confused people fighting in a confused state, which, if you can get past the bad spelling/grammer has got to be funny!

interesting! i think i do.

172. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 14, 2014, 22:54 Kosumo

To defend him, I would say he has dyslexis, as do I, and what he writes seems fine to me but I know it is confusing.

What you have is two confused people fighting in a confused state, which, if you can get past the bad spelling/grammer has got to be funny!

171. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 14, 2014, 22:42 Quboid

Drillo, you're unhealthy attached to this. Most people just don't care enough to research this stuff and they - we - never will. You know your stuff and I know it's frustrating to see people get it wrong or cite speculation as fact. But dude, look at your post history, if you're not a shill then you have an unhealthy obsession. People get stuff wrong on the Internet all the time and you won't educate the world - you just look so emotionally invested that you can't be considered reliable.

Stop insulting people. I know, it gets frustrating and I think we can all reach a point where we give up trying to be nice but again, no one will give a flying flip about the thoughts of someone who's just thrown a load of insults their way - or anyone else's way. I largely agree with you on these issues but even if I was informed enough to contribute, I wouldn't want to be in your camp.

The whole conversation is a joke. Regardless of those who are emotionally invested in SC either way, it game isn't out yet and we know practically nothing about it.

TL;DR:

Indeed.

- Quboid

170. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 14, 2014, 22:30 jdreyer

Drillo wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 21:41:
Either you read it or don't read it up to you.

Be more informed or stay ignorant.

If, however, you summarize each quote and use the quote system properly, people might just be interested.

Gotta agree with nin, Drillo. Being a bit more concise might help defend your cause. And I'm largely on your side on this issue.

I think people just need to be patient. This is the largest publicly funded game ever, and the process, messy as it is, is out there for all to see. It's going to take time, and it's not going to be clean. Huge software projects never are. But given enough time, they do polish up nicely.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

189 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo