Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced

An H1Z1 website is now online as home to a newly announced MMORPG SOE plans to bring to PC and PS4. Oddly, the site is basically a link to the sub-reddit devoted to the game, which offers links to various articles, including a video from GameTalk Live where SOE boss John Smedley introduces gameplay footage, showing this to be a zombie game reminiscent of DayZ and Rust. They highlight word that they expect "anyone" to be able to play this within four to six weeks, though there is some confusion over whether this will cost $20.00 or be free, as the game is described as free-to-play.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 11, 2014, 13:37 Angrius Maximis

Depth? Day Z has no depth. Its a stupid fragfest where all you do is walk around and get sniped. Its the most overhyped piece of shit game ever. It has no point, no side missions, no anything even a shitty engine. Gamers are idiots  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 11, 2014, 04:26 Jerykk

Seems almost exactly like DayZ, only with larger scale and probably less depth.  

34. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 11, 2014, 02:48 bigspender

haha so funny, i remember saying about a month ago, that DayZ is taking too long and that some more experienced devs will come a long with a better engine and make a better game and beat them to release.

and here we are!

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

33. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 11, 2014, 02:45 harlock

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 23:56:
I just...I mean...how does this fit at all with his "SWG players, welcome home" thing? Uh, Zombies....yeah, not seeing the connection.

its in the name "H1Z1", because it sounds like a droid or something

also, zombies are tired and played out, just like star wars

32. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 11, 2014, 02:18 OldTimber

yeah welcome home SWG players we know you really wanted to play a pvp zombie survivalists game with fortification crafting. And all the SWG characters are dead so they are zombies roaming this game.
I just...I mean...how does this fit at all with his "SWG players, welcome home" thing? Uh, Zombies....yeah, not seeing the connection.

31. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 11, 2014, 02:17 jacobvandy

Player-driven sandbox, where you can build your own town and go to war with other groups. He never said it had anything to do with Star Wars the property (futuristic, laser swords, etc.).

30. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 23:56 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

29. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 19:19 HorrorScope

If it's done better than the rest, I'm interested.  

28. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 18:56 Ozmodan

Ho hum another zombie game, how original. Good luck trying to compete in a very crowded marketplace. Originally is not Smedley's strong point.  

27. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 18:51 harlock

Rossafur wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 17:00:
I'm guessing they held off completely on saying anything about this for so long for competitive reasons, though I'm not entirely sure what they are, seeing as how it seems to be "You know everything that DayZ has attempted to implement or is saying they're attempting to implement? Yeah, we're actually going to have all that actually working, and implemented from the start. And then some. Because we're SOE, and we have the know-how, and more importantly: the wallet, to do it. B**ch."

even more importantly, its out in 4-6 weeks

26. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 17:00 Rossafur

I'm guessing they held off completely on saying anything about this for so long for competitive reasons, though I'm not entirely sure what they are, seeing as how it seems to be "You know everything that DayZ has attempted to implement or is saying they're attempting to implement? Yeah, we're actually going to have all that actually working, and implemented from the start. And then some. Because we're SOE, and we have the know-how, and more importantly: the wallet, to do it. B**ch."  

25. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 15:51 LittleMe

BitWraith wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 13:13:
I dunno, I'm intrigued. I like DayZ in concept. But, it runs so shittily, and controls equally badly, you can color me interested if they make this a user-friendly rip-off. I find myself not playing DayZ because I don't want to wrestle with the damn game.

This. I like the PS2 engine. After watching the vid I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

I've always thought that ARMA2's 'Real Virtuality 3' engine was holding DayZ back in many ways. Granted DayZ has a better gun and ballistics model but there's so much about it that just plain isn't good enough. BiS's ambitions seem too high for what that engine can do. I hope I'm wrong. I'm glad SOE is taking a solid jab at the genre and they have a much better MMO-capable engine with PS2. It's also a lot more player friendly (mostly in a good sense).

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

24. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 14:55 BobBob

Jivaro wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 13:32:
Bob..he isn't the PM. That was the joke.

Got me there. Redface

23. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 14:54 jacobvandy

They're emulating DayZ, not WoW, so I doubt you're going to have any kind of class roles like that at all. Instead you have more natural and player-defined ones, like "you got the sniper rifle, Joe, sit up on that hill and watch out for shitheads while I run down to that warehouse." Which is really the kind of future you're asking for, but I guess they need to come up with some AI that can realize they're being picked off by a guy up on the hill and not the other guy who ran down and drew aggro.  

22. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 14:30 KS

BobBob wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 13:26:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 12:19:
Ugh... when is the zombie craze going to end? When is the multiplayer survival pk fest going to end? You would think people would be sick of both by now.

Until NPC AI is equal to the intelligence, randomness and stupidity of human behavior, you'll most likely see more zombie games; or you'll see future generations act more like zombies. Whichever comes first.

The problem with AI is that, as long as MMORPGs use the tank/heal/DPS model, they will never progress.

From an AI point of view, a tank is like an island in the Pacific during WWII -- strategically, you can just ignore and sail around many of them. Their low DPS makes them useless.

...except for the artificial taunt power. Nobody goes after tanks first in PvP because it's stupid. So get rid of it in PvE, then AI can get to some real work.

Ya got no taunt, ya got no tank, then the 20+ year old model can finally move on, and you won't have excruciating, embarrassing, shameful designs like Star Wars MMOs where non-lightning Jedi must be tanks because they are melee end of story.

Let proper controller classes come up to flower and get rid of these asinine isles in the Pacific.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2014, 14:36.

21. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 14:28 Nighthawk

So it's NOT cancelled??? AWESOME!  

20. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 14:02 harlock

zombies in the hizzy?  

19. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 14:02 Pr()ZaC

Jivaro wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 13:32:
BobBob wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 13:25:
Leper wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 10:59:
It's too late for another MMO.
Wait another generation, then try again.

I am project manager of H1Z1. I read your post and know you are soothsayer. Game is officially canceled. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

The worst possible thing to do is to defend against critics in a public forum instead of applying that energy into positive posts, gathering fans, and promoting the project via advertising, demos and -- most importantly - forming communities. There will always be critics and trolls, don't feed them. Good luck.

Party pooper.

18. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 13:32 Jivaro

BobBob wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 13:25:
Leper wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 10:59:
It's too late for another MMO.
Wait another generation, then try again.

I am project manager of H1Z1. I read your post and know you are soothsayer. Game is officially canceled. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

The worst possible thing to do is to defend against critics in a public forum instead of applying that energy into positive posts, gathering fans, and promoting the project via advertising, demos and -- most importantly - forming communities. There will always be critics and trolls, don't feed them. Good luck.

17. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 10, 2014, 13:26 BobBob

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 12:19:
Ugh... when is the zombie craze going to end? When is the multiplayer survival pk fest going to end? You would think people would be sick of both by now.

Until NPC AI is equal to the intelligence, randomness and stupidity of human behavior, you'll most likely see more zombie games; or you'll see future generations act more like zombies. Whichever comes first.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo