Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Patches

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Morning Patches Apr 11, 2014, 15:35 descender

Just some things I think I learned...

A green gem in a weapon will always show more sheet damage, but only actually out-damages a red gem if your crit chance is over a certain threshold. Somewhere I saw some talk of 10:1 crit dmg to crit chance is a good ratio to aim for, but I can't confirm that right now. Basically if you are over ~25% crit chance, then the green will produce more damage for you.

AR > Vitality > Armor

Having millions of HP doesn't help if you have no way of replenishing it as you start taking damage. A smaller health pool with more mitigation is more effective because it increases the effectiveness of your healing skills versus the amount of damage you take.

These are both situations where the damage and toughness ratings in the game start to break down.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Morning Patches Apr 11, 2014, 15:26 Verno

Slotting a green will be a major upgrade and yes it will show on the character sheet.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

26. Re: Morning Patches Apr 11, 2014, 12:56 nin

InBlack wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 06:16:
Goddamn nin you lucky bastard. My crusader has a 2h sword with slightly higher damage...

Yeah, on the one hand it's awesome (esp it's count to 10, AOE fest proc), but on the other, I might never replace the damn thing (at least until the next expansion 2 years from now?). (I believe) It dropped as apart of the package Tyriel gives you for completing 5 bounties, so farm the fuck out of those.

Let me guess you use the laser-beam-of-death ray with the Wizard?

It's good for mobs, but not so great for bosses, obviously. You wade in, and since every kill has something like a 35% chance to explode on those around them, large masses of folks instantly vaporize (I think my record so far is 50+ kills "at once" - but blizz seems to play loose with that stat).

For the life of me I cant figure out why you would socket a ruby instead of an emerald in its socket, unless you are using a skill that doesnt crit...

I'm going to go with "extreme lack of end game experience" on my part. I pretty much go off the numbers on the char sheet, will a green chart there correctly (on the character sheet), or will it show a lower DPS, but in reality be higher due to the crits? (I mean it sounds like green would be higher, but I'd just like to compare the two, numbers wise, to verify it.)

Hardcore Torment I, thinking of switching to II i can solo Torment I quite easily. (Just dont ask me to go against Maltheus yet...)

You're way braver than I am, but my internet still drops from time to time, so hardcore would be a disaster. I stepped into T1 briefly the other day, but I really need to boost my health, as it's not keeping up with incoming damage.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2014, 13:02.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Morning Patches Apr 11, 2014, 06:16 InBlack

Goddamn nin you lucky bastard. My crusader has a 2h sword with slightly higher damage...

Let me guess you use the laser-beam-of-death ray with the Wizard? For the life of me I cant figure out why you would socket a ruby instead of an emerald in its socket, unless you are using a skill that doesnt crit...

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Jamezdin-1215/hero/39666287

Hardcore Torment I, thinking of switching to II i can solo Torment I quite easily. (Just dont ask me to go against Maltheus yet...)

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2014, 06:28.

I have a nifty blue line!

24. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 20:36 jacobvandy

It's fine to have that opinion, I can't prove the prevalence one way or the other. I never meant to imply that they make their balancing decisions purely on the basis of thwarting farmers, either, just that is is a side effect if not a contributing factor. We can agree to disagree on that. But my point is the scenario only exists now *because* you can't directly transfer gold anymore. Any game where a major goal is to amass wealth will have gold farmers, period.  

23. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 20:23 Redmask

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 20:08:
You're just not comprehending, are you? The mule account is an entirely separate account running on another machine. People have been doing that ever since the online RPG was invented. Some people have a half-dozen accounts running on as many machines at once (google multi-boxing) for themselves for fun! Let alone people trying to make a living off of farming.

You're the one not comprehending. I do not believe your scenario applies to this game anymore. I work with VMs for a living, I don't need you to tell me about multiboxing. It works with MMOs and games with easy transport mechanisms, I do not believe people are bothering with this any longer in significant numbers to warrant nerfing chests. Even if anyone assumed your stretch of an example was true, nerfing chests probably wouldn't even affect that in any significant way considering the sheer volume of rares from regular play.

I had no idea you were so naive, but it really does explain the rest of our exchange, so thanks for enlightening me, I guess...

I'm not naive, you just aren't making much sense. I think in the past that was certainly a big concern with the auction house, not anymore.

Blizzard nerfed chest and unique farming because they didn't feel it fit with their design philosophy, not because chinese farmers were doing it, getting players to contact them on the web, meeting them in game and spewing out 100,000 rares that the player had to tediously vendor one at a time.

22. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 20:13 jacobvandy

21. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 20:08 jacobvandy

You're just not comprehending, are you? The mule account is an entirely separate account running on another machine. People have been doing that ever since the online RPG was invented. Some people have a half-dozen accounts running on as many machines at once (google multi-boxing) for themselves for fun! Let alone people trying to make a living off of farming. The host stays and has the customer connect to the game, once, and they both sit there while the mules come in and out dropping everything. If one person can pull that off so easily, just think of your average Chinese gold farming outfit with the personnel and the support roles all filled out and working together. It's not only possible, but highly probable in one of the most popular online games on the planet.

I had no idea you were so naive, but it really does explain the rest of our exchange, so thanks for enlightening me, I guess...

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2014, 20:14.

20. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 19:47 Redmask

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 19:32:
Pay the farmer -> he adds you to his friends list -> join his game -> pick up all the shit being dropped on the ground from his mules. Sounds pretty simple to me, and more likely than dropping a few hundred bucks on a pimped out account. BTW I just thought of belts and jewelry doubling your capacity for wealth storage, so increase the scale of what I said accordingly, heh.

That is ridiculous, rares don't vendor well enough and he would need to disconnect and reconnect hundreds of times to make any meaningful dent in a real money stash. People made trillions using the auction house and you're talking about vendoring rares from a mule haha. None of which has anything to do with nerfing chests because the time involved in farming and muling it isn't worth it anymore thanks to easy drops and higher tier gems being available to players.

You can keep telling yourself that's going on in any meaningful way if you want but they nerfed chests because of a perceived design violation, not because botters or gold farmers are doing anything.

Can we transfer gold from a player to another? I may have 105 millions to sell.

He's trying to avoid admitting it but no you cannot. You cannot trade gold anymore. I guess you could connect a thousand times to someones game and let them vendor your rares though

19. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 19:32 jacobvandy

Redmask wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 19:13:
Anyone can have an inventory full of rares and a lot of gold by simply playing.

Yep, they can. But people tend to take the path of least resistance, one of which happened to be running around and opening chests in certain areas. They were getting more items from that than killing monsters. I agree with Blizzard that that is a problem, even strictly regarding the design of gameplay balance, but you can't deny the dual-purpose to the reasoning.

Redmask wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 19:13:
Blizzard has removed all of the transport mechanisms from the game

Pay the farmer -> he adds you to his friends list -> join his game -> pick up all the shit being dropped on the ground from his mules. Sounds pretty simple to me, and more likely than dropping a few hundred bucks on a pimped out account. BTW I just thought of belts and jewelry doubling your capacity for wealth storage, so increase the scale of what I said accordingly, heh.

Rhialto wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 19:26:

Not directly anymore, that's kind of the whole point of this conversation. I'm speaking of ways to indirectly transfer wealth in the game, which have not been halted by the sweeping changes made to the D3 economy with patch 2.0. And because it involves jumping through more hoops, the relative value of that wealth has increased.

18. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 19:26 Rhialto

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 19:10:
The price of gold has gone up, with TRILLIONS being taken out of circulation with the AH shutting down and all of that being bound to accounts. New players with nothing, and more money than time to spend playing, could easily spend $5 for that truckload of rares that took someone an hour or two of farming to gather.

17. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 19:13 Redmask

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 19:10:
If I can think of this shit in 5 minutes as an example here, you can be damn sure people are doing that, and much, much more.

Your examples stretch credulity and don't make any sense in the current game climate. In 1.0 it might have been a problem, now not anymore. Anyone can have an inventory full of rares and a lot of gold by simply playing. Blizzard has removed all of the transport mechanisms from the game and the only thing people will likely be paying for is a fully geared character/account which they can't do anything to stop anyway given that it's the point of playing.

Nerfing chests has nothing to do with stopping gold farmers, its just to stop players from getting items too easily because they feel like it. That's really the crux of it. That's fine, its their game but people can complain if they want and I can sympathize because I don't really care how other people get their loot.

16. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 19:10 jacobvandy

Lol, as you wish. Every 10 minutes when I'm teleporting back to town with an inventory full of rares, I turn them all to crafting mats, right? But selling to a vendor, that's 100-125k gold. Toss them over to an alt account with a maxed out storage vault and what, 15 character slots now full of mules, and you have nearly 3 million gold in goods that can be offloaded in a few minutes. The price of gold has gone up, with TRILLIONS being taken out of circulation with the AH shutting down and all of that being bound to accounts. New players with nothing, and more money than time to spend playing, could easily spend $5 for that truckload of rares that took someone an hour or two of farming to gather.

If I can think of this shit in 5 minutes as an example here, you can be damn sure people are doing that, and much, much more.

15. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 18:47 Redmask

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 18:32:
I didn't say it affects you... But people can and do still make money off of their game, against their ToS. If they can put a dent in that by eliminating some outlying cases of "too rewarding for the effort" that also don't affect most players very much, then they do.

I don't believe your scenarios other than account sales and nerfing chests won't help with that. This is just a case of them not liking something that goes against some lofty design ideals that players aren't privy to and doing something about it, that's fine and its perfectly ok for people to criticize it.

14. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 18:45 Rhialto

Hey nin, add me as a friend, you could help me farm in higher levels!
And maybe you have some lvl 60 items of no use now? I've sent an invite.

13. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 18:32 jacobvandy

I didn't say it affects you... But people can and do still make money off of their game, against their ToS. If they can put a dent in that by eliminating some outlying cases of "too rewarding for the effort" that also don't affect most players very much, then they do.

Also nin, forget that ruby, if you're up into at least the 30-40% critical chance range, an emerald will boost your damage more.

12. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 18:26 Redmask

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 17:16:
That's just plain incorrect. They've hurt the farmers/botters, sure, but there are others ways of transferring wealth. All gems below marquise are not BoA. Found rares are not BoA and can be worth several thousand gold a piece to a vendor. Loads of people still buy and sell entire accounts, a practice which you can be sure will only grow with the introduction of ladders and other forms of competition. You can still group up with and mooch off of supremely-geared characters, whether legitimate or automated, a service that many people do pay for. Putting restrictions on an economy can stifle it for most players, but there's still that disproportionately active minority that always comes up with a way to carry on

That's kind of ridiculous, no one is sitting around trading worthless gems and rares to the point where it needs to affect the rest of the player base in Blizzards policies. The auction house did far more harm to the games economy than botting. They're within their rights to nerf chests but the reasoning behind it is stupid. I don't really care how other people collect the same things that I do provided it doesn't impact me and it just doesn't anymore.

11. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 18:03 nin

nin wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 16:35:
WTH? Two green crafting drops in under 5 minutes just now.

"Clear the floor!!!!!!!!"

Daaaamn! And then a Mad Monarch's Scepter that does 2580 (1h) when gemed! Hell of a day!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 17:16 jacobvandy

That's just plain incorrect. They've hurt the farmers/botters, sure, but there are others ways of transferring wealth. All gems below marquise are not BoA. Found rares are not BoA and can be worth several thousand gold a piece to a vendor. Loads of people still buy and sell entire accounts, a practice which you can be sure will only grow with the introduction of ladders and other forms of competition. You can still group up with and mooch off of supremely-geared characters, whether legitimate or automated, a service that many people do pay for. Putting restrictions on an economy can stifle it for most players, but there's still that disproportionately active minority that always comes up with a way to carry on.

Blizzard making global policy to combat them is the same kind of thing as an ISP putting bandwidth caps on to retard the consumption of that small group of power users that puts the most strain on their infrastructure. They have no way to classify and segregate players into categories, so all the changes they make have to affect everybody.

9. Re: Morning Patches Apr 10, 2014, 16:47 Cram

Verno wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 16:17:
Not to mention, that's exactly how professional farmers and botters operate

These people don't really matter anymore with the auction house being gone though. You can't even trade gold anymore. It's so easy to make money and get items that the incentive to bother with that stuff is gone too. If someone gets their enjoyment from farming the same chest 1000 times it literally doesn't affect me anymore. I kind of get where they're coming from with creators vision and all that stuff but it feels like whack a mole sometimes and I have to wonder why even bother, it's not like this game has sub fees or something.

This, exactly.

I have not participated in Unique/Chest Farming, fwiw. I'm not hurt by this so don't care all that much. However, big picture, what one person does in RoS has no effect on another, until Blizzard decides they want to play god. Let people do what they want, stop trying to herd people into another part of the game. Buff other areas/zones all you want, but stop telling your playerbase "no, you can't have this and you can't do that". It doesn't matter anymore, it doesn't hurt a single person or the economy (which does not really exist anymore) if people want to do the same boring farm over and over.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo