Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed

2K and Gearbox Software announce Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, confirming indications that a game set between Borderlands and Borderlands 2 is in the works at 2K Australia, and that they actually feel a "pre-sequel" is a thing. The game will introduce new characters and a new environment when it's released for Windows and last-gen consoles this fall. The Borderlands website offers a developer overview trailer, and here's word:

2K and Gearbox Software announced today that Borderlands®: The Pre-Sequel™, an all-new standalone Borderlands game set in-between the award-winning Borderlands and Borderlands 2, is currently in co-development by Gearbox Software and 2K Australia. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel will be available worldwide in fall 2014 on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and Windows PC.

Borderlands is one of 2K’s premiere franchises, and Borderlands 2 is the highest-selling title in the history of our company,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Fans are clamoring for an all-new, triple-A Borderlands experience, and we will deliver just that with Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.”

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel launches players to Pandora’s moon to experience wild, gravity-bending gunfights in zero-atmosphere environments using an array of all-new weaponry. For the very first time, fans play on the other side as four new playable characters contributing to the rise of the Hyperion Corporation. Fighting alongside Handsome Jack, players witness his transformation into the megalomaniacal tyrant that fans loved to hate in Borderlands 2.

“Since Gearbox Software first created the Borderlands franchise, we never dreamed of this much love and support from gamers,” added Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software. “We are grateful that the incredible talent at 2K Australia has been able to jump in with Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel to help it live up to the high standards that Borderlands fans have come to expect.”

“Gearbox has entrusted 2K Australia with the co-development of their award-winning franchise and we are committed to delivering an all-new shoot ‘n’ loot experience that fans will love,” concluded Tony Lawrence, general manager of 2K Australia. “Fans will see for themselves at PAX East that there’s nothing quite like moon jumping in a low-gravity gunfight, completely freezing a moon bandit with one of the new Cryo weapons, and then shattering him into little pieces that float off into space. It’s pretty epic.”

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is coming to the PAX East fan convention in Boston this weekend. Located at booth #962, attendees can get a first look at the game in action, grab PAX East-exclusive Borderlands swag, and participate in a sweepstakes to win even more real-life loot.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel will be available in fall 2014 for Xbox 360, PS3, and Windows PC. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is not yet rated by the ESRB. For more information, please visit the official Borderlands web site, follow @borderlands on twitter, become a fan of Borderlands on Facebook, and subscribe to the new Borderlands channel on YouTube.

About Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is the newest entry in the critically acclaimed Borderlands franchise that is currently being co-developed by Gearbox Software and 2K Australia. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel continues the franchise’s tradition of industry-leading co-op, allowing up to four players to experience all-new low-gravity, shoot ‘n’ loot gameplay on Pandora’s moon. Featuring four new playable character classes armed with powerful laser and icy Cryo weapons, players will battle against an array of new enemies. Taking place in-between the events of Borderlands and Borderlands 2, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel showcases Handsome Jack’s transformation into the ruthless tyrant fans loved to hate in Borderlands 2.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 21:42 ViRGE

Well I for one will be keeping an eye on this one. I did like BL2, and while that doesn't make such a daftly named sequel a sure-thing for me, it does at least warrant further examination once it's near completion.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 19:52 Darks

Nighthawk wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 17:49:
Apparently nobody wants to say thank you.
Tried 2, both taken, thanks anyway, very kind of you.

Your welcome guys!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

31. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 19:28 Toad

Prez wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 17:57:
I got the same bundles - some REALLY good gaming for a tiny amount of money. The strange thing about it is that I could have sworn that MNC went Free to Play so I am wondering why there is a key for it...

The free-to-play game is called Super Monday Night Combat and is separate from MNC. I'm not too familiar with them, but I think I heard SMNC superseded MNC for gameplay and players.

30. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 18:20 nin

Seconded! Didn't try any, but it's a nice gesture!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

29. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 18:01 DarkCntry

The only one I got was Postal...not entirely sure that I should be thanking for that

Seriously though, thanks for the keys.

28. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 17:57 Prez

Darks wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 17:37:
So, I got a bunch of Steam game keys that I don't need, all good keys. First come first serve.

have at it guys.

Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages Steam Key: LBFYX-CGX63-A36L7
Etherlords II Steam Key: 789WJ-QLZCQ-HPM5G
Master Reboot Steam Key: HEZQV-NWL0I-TXWKQ
Expeditions: Conquistador Steam Key: WQ8P4-HYG0D-8GK2T
Rock of Ages Steam Key: YXJ7B-TDCLL-G24YR
POSTAL Steam Key: AHWFQ-XQ96W-JDEPV
Gun Monkeys Steam Key: NP970-B2XPV-3Q7DI
Heli Heroes Steam Key: 6RR9P-MNXWD-QC5KX
Monday Night Combat Steam Key: GJAV3-VH9RQ-V2D0Z
Bang Bang Racing Steam Key: 0Y9QX-3PNCI-J4XDF
Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World Steam Key: 47XIB-BIQ23-MZTT4

I got the same bundles - some REALLY good gaming for a tiny amount of money. The strange thing about it is that I could have sworn that MNC went Free to Play so I am wondering why there is a key for it...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 17:55 HorrorScope

Same, missed out. Was looking at Etherlords 2, always enjoyed how they worked their card combat system. Thanks anyway!

26. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 17:49 Nighthawk

25. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 17:37 Darks

So, I got a bunch of Steam game keys that I don't need, all good keys. First come first serve.

have at it guys.

Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages Steam Key: LBFYX-CGX63-A36L7
Etherlords II Steam Key: 789WJ-QLZCQ-HPM5G
Master Reboot Steam Key: HEZQV-NWL0I-TXWKQ
Expeditions: Conquistador Steam Key: WQ8P4-HYG0D-8GK2T
Rock of Ages Steam Key: YXJ7B-TDCLL-G24YR
POSTAL Steam Key: AHWFQ-XQ96W-JDEPV
Gun Monkeys Steam Key: NP970-B2XPV-3Q7DI
Heli Heroes Steam Key: 6RR9P-MNXWD-QC5KX
Monday Night Combat Steam Key: GJAV3-VH9RQ-V2D0Z
Bang Bang Racing Steam Key: 0Y9QX-3PNCI-J4XDF
Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World Steam Key: 47XIB-BIQ23-MZTT4

24. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 17:27 HorrorScope

Axis wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 15:39:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 11:12:

Question: Is a persistent ARPG, another name for a ARPG MMO?

I'm oldschool so when I see "MMO" I think one giant population trying to fit into non instanced areas as feasibly as possible.

A Persistent ARPG is for the ability to easily group, trade, and create an economy. A single or coop ARPG has very little replay value for me, persistent is the only way I'll put real playtime and effort in them.

Then like POE or Marvel and some FTP's like Dragon's Nest or Vindictus. But I got you, a very online ARPG, with First Person that is really good and doesn't suck. Yes that all together doesn't exist yet. POE/Marvel has it top-down, Dragons and Vind just suck overall (however each could have been a lot better with just a little better game design work).

We'll have to see how Destiny turns out and if it will ever make it to the PC. Totally a market here.

23. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 15:39 Axis

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 11:12:

Question: Is a persistent ARPG, another name for a ARPG MMO?

I'm oldschool so when I see "MMO" I think one giant population trying to fit into non instanced areas as feasibly as possible.

A Persistent ARPG is for the ability to easily group, trade, and create an economy. A single or coop ARPG has very little replay value for me, persistent is the only way I'll put real playtime and effort in them.

Yours truly,

Axis

22. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 15:19 Axis

InBlack wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 10:30:
Axis wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 10:28:
Dagnamit wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 10:22:
Axis wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 10:18:
I've said it a hundred times, best thing they could do is make a persistent ARPG FPS Borderlands, they'd make billions.

Another tired old single player arpg... dime a dozen.

BL has always been a co-op game. Don't know where you get that from. The biggest concern is that Gearbox's track record with games it has other people make for them is... well... a little less than good.

It's a single player game with CoOp. The point it it's a beaten horse, and an FPS persistent ARPG is ready for primetime.

You mean like Hellgate London was supposed to be? I wouldnt put it past Randy to try a pull a 'Hellgate London' on us....

Yep, except fun unlike HG. And also hugely already popular, unlike HG.

Yours truly,

Axis

21. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 13:16 Beamer

nin wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 12:48:
Creston wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 11:39:
Beamer wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 10:42:
Tim Collins wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 10:03:
Borderlands is played out, they should really think of some new games.

given how many times people here demanded to go to the moon base, I'd say there's a lot of demand for this particular product. Especially if Randy is right and its value priced.

True, but we wanted to go to the moonbase to blow it the hell up. Not to go there and be Jack's stoolie.

Zactly.

edit: Watched the video - looks more like what we used to call an expansion.

Yeah, but they couldn't take the heroes to the moon base - Hyperion is done. There's no one left to fight.

And Randy implies that this will likely be priced like an expansion, but claims it's out of his hands. I'd guess it'd be $40 on consoles and $30 on PCs. It's coming out using the same engine and on last-gen systems.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 12:48 nin

Creston wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 11:39:

given how many times people here demanded to go to the moon base, I'd say there's a lot of demand for this particular product. Especially if Randy is right and its value priced.

True, but we wanted to go to the moonbase to blow it the hell up. Not to go there and be Jack's stoolie.

Zactly.

edit: Watched the video - looks more like what we used to call an expansion.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 12:39 Gadzooks

Bungie beat Gearbox to the punch.

Destiny is where BL could have ultimately been heading. So much about Destiny resembles BL as far as gameplay and mechanics, but Bungie took it to the next level with the whole persistant universe bit.

SPOILER ALERT

BL2 finishes with the BL universe/world opening up in a way that would have allowed the series to be EXACTLY what Destiny is hyping to be.

I can only hope that Gearbox has big plans for BL3, and that this pre-sequel is just to bide the time for fans. Ill play this new game, and most likely have a ton of fun doing it despite the fact that I want to play a vault hunter, not a hyperion mercenary. If Jack is "back", I want him to be the enemy, not my boss. Dragon Keep did managed to do this perfectly despite the games main story conclusion.

ANOTHER SPOILER ALERT

And WTF Gearbox... Dragon Keeps ending led fans to believe that a DLC was going to take us to the Hyperion Moon base. The whole thing with interogating the hyperion soldier for the pass codes to get to it. What a huge let down when I heard that no more DLC was coming for BL2.

People like to talk crap about gearbox and the shoddy games they put out. Things like Duke and Aliens.... Just total letdowns. Ive always said that the ONE good thing to come out of Gearbox Software has been Borderlands. The people behind the first 2 games and most of the DLC have really done a great job. Sure, its not some players cup of tea, but its not because its a crap made game, it just means its not their style of game. Gearbox needs to stop trying to branch out, and just focus on what has been successful to them.

18. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 12:06 Razumen

Hopefully this one has more than one active skill, yeah, probably not.  

17. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 11:51 Parias

Prez wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 11:28:
I for one can't wait for this.

Ditto - any story-driven co-op shooter is AOK in my book. Every time I've played booted up Borderlands for a playthrough with friends, we've always had an insane amount of fun with it. I'm looking forward to this.

16. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 11:51 Darks

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 10:53:
I hope we learned by now Gearbox farming out development doesn't end well.

Yes, but this is being made by 2K in Australia, they have a better track record.

15. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 11:43 Verno

I'd like to be optimistic but man, recent history with Gearbox and outsourced stuff isn't exactly encouraging.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

14. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 11:39 Creston

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo