Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fortnite Alpha Signups

The GameInformer website reveals the May cover story for the print edition of Game Informer will be Fortnite, Epic's upcoming co-op third-person shooter. They offer an overview of the game, but bury the lede, as the bottom of the story adds that Epic is now accepting applications to alpha test the game. Signing up is estimated to take about 10 minutes, though they do not say when testing is expected to begin. They also offer this teaser trailer with glimpses of gameplay and developers discussing the game and how much it is not Gears of War.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 9, 2014, 04:30 Theo

It let me sign up from the UK. this looks fun. don't have much hope of getting in, but would love to try it and help with the beta process (Assuming its going to be a proper beta rather than what has been happening lately).  

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 9, 2014, 01:20 Crustacean Soup

Fantaz wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 18:38:
"At this time, you do not qualify for the Fortnite Alpha. Thank you so much for your interest."

WTF? what questions did you guys answer correctly to qualify? or is it U.S. only and not Canada?

I'm in Canada, answered truthfully, and got a "Thank you for signing up for the Fortnite Alpha. If you are chosen, we will notify you...", not a rejection.

15. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 23:28 Agent.X7

Frijoles wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 23:11:
Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 19:10:
This game is FUN! It's only in alpha, so I can't wait to see what gets added and how much more fun it becomes.

Are the monsters an actual threat? One thing I hate about vanilla Minecraft is that you can defeat the AI by digging a hole in the ground. A lot of survival games are very similar. After X hours (and in cases like Minecraft, minutes), there's just no challenge because the mobs suck. Or rather, surviving the environment is the challenge. The mobs are just an annoyance.

Well, they can destroy your fort. They are mostly slow moving and fairly easy to avoid, like zombies. But, the danger is in being complacent around them, and in assuming that your fort will stop them. Depending on the size of the monster and what you made your fort out of, they will take it quick or slow. So, you have to actually defend the fort. You can do this from the outside, or if you made holes, or from the roof, or however you can think of. you can also build awesome traps to stop them. I LOVE chaining trap types into each other. Floor springs that bounce them into spikes in the roof while a flamethrower toasts them.

It sort of has some of the flavor of Don't Starve. Building weapons and tools, finding supplies, Day/night cycle. Monsters mostly come at night. Mostly.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

14. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 23:11 Frijoles

This game is FUN! It's only in alpha, so I can't wait to see what gets added and how much more fun it becomes.

Are the monsters an actual threat? One thing I hate about vanilla Minecraft is that you can defeat the AI by digging a hole in the ground. A lot of survival games are very similar. After X hours (and in cases like Minecraft, minutes), there's just no challenge because the mobs suck. Or rather, surviving the environment is the challenge. The mobs are just an annoyance.

13. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 23:04 Creston

It's a shooter now? I thought it was supposed to be Minecraft? (Edit: Ah okay, Agent.X7 has explained it a bit. Thanks man!)

And it's just in alpha?

12. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 23:01 LittleMe

Cutter wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 19:42:
DangerDog wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 19:15:
edit: oh, the email says registered but you still need to be "chosen"

So you have to be Jewish?

This is Zion and we are not afraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaid!!!

Perpetual debt is slavery.

11. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 19:42 Cutter

So you have to be Jewish?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

10. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 19:29 HorrorScope

I've been alpha testing this since October. They sent the first 500 of us a cool little dog tag.

Basically you have a bunch of areas with missions. You start an area and build a fort to protect yourself at night, when the monsters come out. During the day you try to complete the objectives to move on to the next board. Pretty much everything is destructible, and there are a lot of hidden areas. They shut down the test right before Christmas, and we've been eagerly waiting for them to start it back up again.

Yeah these are fun, there are several takes on this genre, each has their own little niche. This could be very good, it will be a near AAA effort which is a little one up-manship vs mostly indy attempts.

9. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 19:22 DangerDog

Fantaz wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 18:38:
"At this time, you do not qualify for the Fortnite Alpha. Thank you so much for your interest."

WTF? what questions did you guys answer correctly to qualify? or is it U.S. only and not Canada?

Could be just for U.S., I didn't try to "game" the questionnaire. I've never paid any money towards micro-transactions for "free-to-play" games and don't intend on doing so anytime in the future, this game included.

8. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 19:22 Parias

I've been alpha testing this since October. They sent the first 500 of us a cool little dog tag.

Basically you have a bunch of areas with missions. You start an area and build a fort to protect yourself at night, when the monsters come out. During the day you try to complete the objectives to move on to the next board. Pretty much everything is destructible, and there are a lot of hidden areas. They shut down the test right before Christmas, and we've been eagerly waiting for them to start it back up again.

Thanks for the summary - this actually sounds like it'd be a really fun co-op game. Can't wait to see how the final turns out.

7. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 19:18 Fantaz

We appreciate you taking the time to help us out. We'll be sharing more news through our Facebook Page, Twitter, E-mail, and our website.

If you are having difficulties registering for the Alpha, please e-mail us at web@fortnite.com

Not sure if that's a blow off or if I'm registered for the alpha, probably the later.

so what did you guys answer to get that?

6. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 19:16 jacobvandy

That's what I got, too. Based on what Fantaz posted, I'd say we're good. :p  

5. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 19:15 DangerDog

We appreciate you taking the time to help us out. We'll be sharing more news through our Facebook Page, Twitter, E-mail, and our website.

If you are having difficulties registering for the Alpha, please e-mail us at web@fortnite.com

Not sure if that's a blow off or if I'm registered for the alpha, probably the later.

4. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 19:10 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

3. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 18:46 HorrorScope

Me to!

This is right in line with survival/builders being made common now. Fun genre, will be excited to see how this turns out.

Also looks like some of their employees are straight from the CSI Dept.

2. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 18:38 Fantaz

1. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 18:29 Cutter

So Epic isn't a one trick pony, yet all they make are shooters? Uh huh. Yeah. Ok.

They want to do something new? So they stick TF2 into Minecraft? Wow, how completely revolutionary. Rolleyes

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo