Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Invasion Update

The version 2.7 Invasion update is now live in Star Wars: The Old Republic, BioWare's Star Wars MMORPG. The new version adds new level 55 Flashpoints, a new Huttball Warzone, a new Galactic Starfighter Battle Zone, and a new Nightmare Mode Operation. This blog post has all the details.

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Invasion Update Apr 9, 2014, 18:30 Drayth

Wow, a rational discussion on Blues News? I'll chime in - ToR's gameplay is a WoW clone approach, but I like the "feel" of the combat despite this. The game's not open world though (some of the later planets are rather huge, however), so you still feel like you're playing through what could be SP content, but is being very stretched out due to the general grinding through bad guys that's inherent to MMO's.

BUT, the MP aspects -- like joining up with other players, etc -- compensate this a bit. The game feels very much like a two steps back, one step forward affair, where I'm playing it because the story, the interactions, and all the other typical Bioware elements are there (and are addictive), but it would have been much better in a SP game... yet, the MP does add a little back in what IT offers.

Long post, short - if you enjoy it for what it is, it's a decent game, and it's fun to play through at least once. And very worth it to play through again on the opposing side, the story even plays off this element a bit when you visit a planet you ran through on one side then the other.

Just typing this gives me a slight itch to jump back in. Haven't played in about half a year. Oh, and the Sith Agent has the best storyline by far if you like dark (not a pun) storytelling.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Invasion Update Apr 9, 2014, 14:26 KS

I'll bet the one thing it doesn't have is an actual live invasion, far and away the most exciting thing for an MMORPG, vastly exceeding even PvP warzones, and something I've seen once in UO, once in EQ, and several times in the sad shutdown events of several.

Morpheii! Morpheii everywhere!

3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Invasion Update Apr 9, 2014, 02:15 NewMaxx

Great game when I played it, I was one of the launch guys. Had a lot of fun with the storylines and the first few group instances. No regrets paying for it in that respect. Long-term title? No way. It's a great way to full your KotOR needs on the cheap, though.  

2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Invasion Update Apr 9, 2014, 01:41 Jivaro

Personally, I think it's a great game if you are a subscriber. There are a lot of pay walls for F2P players though. Personally, I wouldn't be able to do it. I tell people to treat F2P as the demo. If you think you are going to stay just subscribe and get a security key. You will get 600 cartel credits per month (500 for sub, 100 for the security key), you can create 12 characters per server instead of 2, and nearly all of the pay walls will be gone. I say nearly because they have some bank and inventory expansion slots you might want to buy even if you are a subscriber. Depends on how much of a pack rat you are. Most people who sub don't need them, I however tend to keep everything.

Leveling up is basically a single player Bioware game (team building, romances, plot directing decisions, etc) with available ground and space PVP as well as team and raid level instances. Endgame is fresh at the moment due to recent content releases. Space PVP is fairly new and shows it. (unfortunately) It's fun in a very casual way. I imagine it will get better over time, but right now it's still got some kinks to work out. Space PVE is worth doing each mission once for the XP, but it is so boring and repetitive that most people stop after that.

SWTOR is still not as great as fans had hoped it would be but it really has come a long ways. If you do decide to give it a go treat the first planet like a giant tutorial. The second planet you get to is when the game starts to really form into what you can expect to see over the next 45+ levels since a variety of the team, raid, and PVP based content will be available to you as well as the story arch and side quests. If you don't like it at the end of the second planet, you probably won't ever like it. As for class selection, start with whatever sounds the most fun. The Agents and Smugglers use a type of cover based combat. Everyone else is fairly straight forward in terms of gameplay mechanics.

I play the game in stretches but I maintain my sub continuously. If you jump in and have any questions feel free to shoot me an email. I don't play with a guild since I mainly solo and PVP but there is an XP boost for most guilds, so if an established guild shoots you an invite go ahead and take it. If you don't join a guild and want to do some of the flashpoints or other team oriented content, use the group finder. It works really well, particularly at lower levels. Just make sure you tell your team that you are new. People are accustomed to racing through the group content at this point. Most people are cool with slowing down so the new guy can understand what the hell is going on.

Wow, that turned into a much longer post than I initially meant to write.

1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Invasion Update Apr 8, 2014, 23:47 Fantaz

is this game better now? i'm thinking of giving it a try now that it's free.  

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo