Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I had to rewatch Game of Thrones to confirm that I wasn't confused about the recasting of a character, but Daenerys' new friend from last season is even newer this season. The guy from last season may have been a little too pretty, but having a new guy just pop up out of nowhere is annoyingly distracting. I'll get over it, but I wonder what the thinking was there?

R.I.P.: Standup comic John Pinette dead at 50; acted in 'Seinfeld' finale. Thanks Mark.

Recast Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Sneaky Dex.
Crusade of Undead.
Colony Age Robot Outbreak.
Stories: Life With a Dog: You Meet People. Thanks j.c.f.
"Breaking Bad" Memoir, New "Saul" Characters. Thanks nin.
Media: Fan-Made GTA V Trailer Makes You Want to Play It All Over Again. Thanks nin.
Follow-up: 'Star Wars: Episode VII' Adds Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca.
Frak! There's a New Battlestar Galactica Movie on the Way.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 14:23 Jivaro

I get that you are saying that you think a majority of people liked it and the sites seem to represent that. I really do. Problem is that it doesn't change anything about what I said. Majority opinion and faceless people putting statistics to things are not on my list of most trustworthy or accurate sources. Nor does it make me feel motivated to think differently about my own personal opinion of something I have viewed, played, or listened to.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2014, 14:39.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 12:06 dj LiTh

Jivaro wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 11:35:
People trust mathematics just fine. What they don't trust is statistics generated by other human beings. Numbers can can be spun to make just about any point of view seem completely valid. Not only that but most people are very aware that companies pay for positive reviews and ratings while other people seem to obsess about how much they hate something and will create 10 accounts just to make 10 negative reviews. We see places like Amazon have entire review sections screwed by people with a bone to pick. We see ESPN or CNN take a set of numbers and spin them to whatever they want them to say by picking a number that matches the message without giving any real context.

It is why a place like Metacritic means jack shit to me. I either care enough to invest the time to watch a show and see for myself or I don't. When a game, tv show, or movie require an investment of money and not just time that's when I ask friends and family or even come here and talk to people that over the years I have seen to have similar tastes. Human nature seems to make a place like Metacritic and similar sites nearly useless.

While i agree with that sentiment as far as BSG Redux's IMDB rating it seems pretty accurate from my group of friends. A rating should never be the end all be all to something, because as you said you didnt enjoy BSG Redux, fair enough, but it seems that the majority did enjoy it, and in this case it seems to fit.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 11:35 Jivaro

People trust mathematics just fine. What they don't trust is statistics generated by other human beings. Numbers can can be spun to make just about any point of view seem completely valid. Not only that but most people are very aware that companies pay for positive reviews and ratings while other people seem to obsess about how much they hate something and will create 10 accounts just to make 10 negative reviews. We see places like Amazon have entire review sections screwed by people with a bone to pick. We see ESPN or CNN take a set of numbers and spin them to whatever they want them to say by picking a number that matches the message without giving any real context.

It is why a place like Metacritic means jack shit to me. I either care enough to invest the time to watch a show and see for myself or I don't. When a game, tv show, or movie require an investment of money and not just time that's when I ask friends and family or even come here and talk to people that over the years I have seen to have similar tastes. Human nature seems to make a place like Metacritic and similar sites nearly useless.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 09:48 Jamil20

PHJF wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 17:08:
I only remember seeing Gregor the once, at the Hand's Tourney.

You seem him briefly at Harrenhal before Tywin shows up. Tywin tells him to get lost.

You didn't recognize him because they cast a tall skinny dude.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 08:57 Verno

InBlack wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 07:30:
Law of averages. People dont trust mathematics. The most exact science on the planet, and people dont trust it. What's next, people believing in bearded father figure dieties and zombie saviours??? Oh wait...

I think the sample size here is much bigger than intended for the law of averages to apply. But maybe he just doesn't like Christopher Nolan films, he cites 2 in his examples Not my favorite director either but I think comparing the films he chose is apples to oranges and that's the problem with ratings systems in general.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

35. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 07:32 dj LiTh

BSG Redux definitely seems pretty polarizing, you either love it or hate it. From my RL friends it seems like those (one guy) who loves the old original BSG hates the new Redux, and everyone else is on my side of the fence. The original series i watched it (i mean its sci fi c'mon) but i cant say i ever really enjoyed it or really liked it.

I wonder if the majority that dislike the Redux really love the original, as thats been my limited experience.

Also From a Military standpoint, (i wasnt a navy man) but the CiC is probably the most accurate portrayal of any kind of future military endeavor in space we'll ever get.

Edit: Added that last paragraph
This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2014, 07:40.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 07:30 InBlack

Redmask wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 07:04:
Creston wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 02:16:
Redmask wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 22:09:
You've got movies like Inception is sitting above films like Double Indemnity and Yojimbo.

And? All three of them are excellent movies, so then it just comes down to:

I don't think Inception is a particularly good movie as much as it is a good spectacle that tricks people into thinking its more clever than it is. It also features some of Nolan's most shallow characterization which is really saying something.

My point wasn't that Inception isn't a movie that belongs somewhere in the top 250 but newer movies seem to trend higher in ratings than older ones because people are voting on extremes (1 or 10 in most cases). I don't know why this is so prevalent in younger viewers but you see it in their day to day language and behavior.

2) The fact that quite a few of IMDB's voters have probably never seen DI or Yojimbo.

I used to think that was the case too until I saw how people were rating films. I imagine the same thing is occurring on videogame websites to some degree. I don't put any stock in the academy either by the way

Law of averages. People dont trust mathematics. The most exact science on the planet, and people dont trust it. What's next, people believing in bearded father figure deities and zombie saviours??? Oh wait...

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2014, 08:56.

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 07:04 Redmask

You've got movies like Inception is sitting above films like Double Indemnity and Yojimbo.

I don't think Inception is a particularly good movie as much as it is a good spectacle that tricks people into thinking its more clever than it is. It also features some of Nolan's most shallow characterization which is really saying something.

My point wasn't that Inception isn't a movie that belongs somewhere in the top 250 but newer movies seem to trend higher in ratings than older ones because people are voting on extremes (1 or 10 in most cases). I don't know why this is so prevalent in younger viewers but you see it in their day to day language and behavior.

2) The fact that quite a few of IMDB's voters have probably never seen DI or Yojimbo.

I used to think that was the case too until I saw how people were rating films. I imagine the same thing is occurring on videogame websites to some degree. I don't put any stock in the academy either by the way

32. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 04:20 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 18:08:
dj LiTh wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 14:41:
I agree with you on that front, even as a rabid BSG fan, i feel its complete. Another Star Trek series would be pretty great. I'd love to see a new one a hundred or 2 in the future from the TNG timeline.

Same here. I thought the BSG reboot was a monumental achievement, not just one of the best sci fi shows ever made, but one of the best TV shows ever made. With an 8.8 rating on IMDB, a lot of people agree with me. I don't think it needs a reboot, the first reboot was so well done and still fresh in the mind (I'm actually working through a second viewing currently).

I would MUCH rather see a Firefly reboot, or some new sci fi IP. Sci fi possibilities are endless, and the chance they'll do BSG better than what has already been done is infinitesimally small.

Im on my third viewieng currently. Epic show that only gets better with time. Its a little hamhanded at times, but its great Sci-Fi and great drama to boot.

I have a nifty blue line!

31. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 04:02 jdreyer

1) Taste/Personal preference.

I'd have shared your grievance if Tootsie was sitting in Inception's place. Or Big Momma's House. Or anything with the words "Tyler Perry" in it. But Inception is a fantastic movie.

PS: Fun fact: For the longest, longest, LONGEST time, the Academy, as in the shriveled up fucking zombies who decide who wins Oscars each year, thought Tootsie was the funniest movie of all time.

OF ALL TIME.

They also voted Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan for best picture. Don't get me wrong, SiL is a fine movie. But in people still talk about Saving Private Ryan today. When it came out, it was instantly recognized as THE definitive movie on that war and that generations sacrifice. An instant classic (a phrase that is overused, but completely applies here.) No one talks about SiL anymore. The Academy was completely on the wrong side of history.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 03:52 jdreyer

With an 8.8 rating on IMDB, a lot of people agree with me

I'm sorry to nitpick this but ratings coutners don't really mean anything anymore, if they did at all. You've got movies like Inception is sitting above films like Double Indemnity and Yojimbo. The Dark Knight Rises (a bloated, barely above average film) is sitting at 49 on the top 250. People these days rate on an all or nothing scale. In fact society in general loves extremes now, talk to someone and count the number of times you hear words like amazing, awesome and incredible. Things can't just be good but flawed anymore, no no, you need to utterly love or despise them.

In the case of IMDB I used to think it was just a case of movies aging and the market growing so older movies were naturally getting bumped down until I saw how people I knew were rating movies. 9-10 stars or 1-2 stars, little in between.

Hey, I didn't say it was the end-all-be-all of TV quality. I just said a lot of people agreed with me. At 8.8, I can say that. Although that top 100 list on IMDB is full of great TV shows: Breaking Bad, GoT, The Wire, True Detective, Firefly, Sherlock, etc., although I don't agree with the order, nor do I agree every show deserves to be there (Angry Video Game Nerd? WTF?).

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 03:33 1badmf

i completely agree man. the new BSG was the most overrated, bloated piece of crybaby melodrama i'd ever come across, and i have to question anybody's judgement of art that thought it was great. i've seen great scifi, and newBSG doesn't even deserve to be kicked in the teeth while grovelling at such greatness. i actually liked old BSG better - at least it wasn't trying and failing to be great art; it was just fun, schlocky scifi and had a ball doing it.  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 02:16 Creston

1) Taste/Personal preference.

I'd have shared your grievance if Tootsie was sitting in Inception's place. Or Big Momma's House. Or anything with the words "Tyler Perry" in it. But Inception is a fantastic movie.

PS: Fun fact: For the longest, longest, LONGEST time, the Academy, as in the shriveled up fucking zombies who decide who wins Oscars each year, thought Tootsie was the funniest movie of all time.

OF ALL TIME.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 02:13 Jivaro

It's a completely subjective thing. I totally recognize that BSG had a huge following. That has absolutely no affect on whether I enjoy a TV show or not. To me it suffered from not just poor writing but boring writing. Even when the plot itself got interesting the actual writing was terrible. The cast was well chosen IMO. The special effects were clearly very well done. The writing just killed it for me. I never found myself actually caring about any of the characters or what happened to them. Too much long drawn out soap opera, not enough sci-fi action drama. Eventually I just stopped watching. It won awards for it's writing though, including a Peabody in 2005 I think. So yeah, subjective.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2014, 01:59 shul

spoilers ahead (GoT):

Daario's change can be explained in the fact that he is a changeling, although I doubt he changes during his stay with a specific character.. the whole time he is with Denearys is not accounted for in the books, afair

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2014, 22:09 Redmask

With an 8.8 rating on IMDB, a lot of people agree with me

I'm sorry to nitpick this but ratings coutners don't really mean anything anymore, if they did at all. You've got movies like Inception is sitting above films like Double Indemnity and Yojimbo. The Dark Knight Rises (a bloated, barely above average film) is sitting at 49 on the top 250. People these days rate on an all or nothing scale. In fact society in general loves extremes now, talk to someone and count the number of times you hear words like amazing, awesome and incredible. Things can't just be good but flawed anymore, no no, you need to utterly love or despise them.

In the case of IMDB I used to think it was just a case of movies aging and the market growing so older movies were naturally getting bumped down until I saw how people I knew were rating movies. 9-10 stars or 1-2 stars, little in between.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2014, 20:48 nin

[VG]Reagle wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 19:29:
<"Why does RS hate me?">

Does this make you feel better?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2014, 19:29 [VG]Reagle

NIN I WANT TO PLAY THAT *^&& D&*#M F*&*^&^&*^&G GAME.....Damn that GTA V that sh&T looks good. I am having serious issues even watching GTAV videos. PC version please my money is waiting....Rockstar pleas dont BEND US OVER AND DO US ..... LIKE YOU DID ON RED DEAD REDEMPTION. And you did screw us over on red dead. nOT THAT WE FREAKING REMember that do we??????We do remember that you SOB's we do..you shouldnt have done that.  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2014, 18:08 jdreyer

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 14:41:
I agree with you on that front, even as a rabid BSG fan, i feel its complete. Another Star Trek series would be pretty great. I'd love to see a new one a hundred or 2 in the future from the TNG timeline.

Same here. I thought the BSG reboot was a monumental achievement, not just one of the best sci fi shows ever made, but one of the best TV shows ever made. With an 8.8 rating on IMDB, a lot of people agree with me. I don't think it needs a reboot, the first reboot was so well done and still fresh in the mind (I'm actually working through a second viewing currently).

I would MUCH rather see a Firefly reboot, or some new sci fi IP. Sci fi possibilities are endless, and the chance they'll do BSG better than what has already been done is infinitesimally small.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2014, 17:24 Yosemite Sam

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 11:33:
I was very excited when I saw the "new BSG movie", but it's Yet Another Reboot.

for fuck's sake, hollywood...

I don't mind a reboot (in this case) if it gives the 2007 reboot the boot... as long as it goes away from the drama\soap and takes it in a action\adventure direction I'm in.

That fan made GTA trailer does make me want to take another run at it... get my GTA fix while I wait for R* to get their shit in order. They did release 1.12 today, but it really adds nothing to the online experience and it's probably going to be months before we see any actual content added to the game.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo