Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On ESO Charges

The Elder Scrolls Online website explains that Early Access to The Elder Scrolls Online has concluded, explaining how to take advantage of the 30 days of play time included with purchases. They also explain that the charges players are seeing on their bank accounts are just temporary authorization checks that will be reversed. They also acknowledge a problem with this, as players with insufficient funds are being kept out of the game after failing this check, explaining how to contact them to straighten things out:

We want everyone who purchased ESO to have immediate access to the included 30 days of ESO game time. In the event that you enter your payment information for authorization and the transaction cancels due to lack of funds in your account, please contact our Support Team. Weíll work with you to ensure you have access to your included 30 days of game time.

Please ensure that you have attempted to enter payment information and had the transaction fail due to lack of funds before submitting a help request. We will get you into the game and playing as soon as possible.

We require you to choose a subscription option and enter valid payment information. For credit cards, debit cards and PayPal there is no charge made until after your included 30 days of game time has expired. For these payment methods, there is an authorization check performed to ensure the payment method is valid. You may see a temporary account authorization hold put on funds in your account while the verification completes. Usually this authorization hold lasts a short period of time before being removed. It can vary from bank to bank.

If you prefer to use one of the following payment methods, payment is processed at the time of selecting your preferred subscription plan.

• Game Time Cards [via Retailer]
  • GiroPay
  • iDeal
  • Paysafe Card
  • WebMoney

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 8, 2014, 14:23 Silicon Avatar

Supposedly the last patch (yesterday) fixed the horse thing. Maybe it fixed some of the other stuff. I dunno. I never experienced that.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 8, 2014, 08:45 BitWraith

Silicon Avatar wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 20:03:
The quest bugs I found in the beta were all fixed in the final. I didn't have any trouble over the weekend. The only thing I don't really like is the way they handled grouping, but maybe that'll get refined in a year or so (or whenever - it wasn't that big of a deal).

Horses disappearing is still in there. Horses not being summonable if you fast travel while on them is still there. Some quests still won't spawn the enemy that needs killing if there are a bunch of folks waiting...

30. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 20:03 Silicon Avatar

The quest bugs I found in the beta were all fixed in the final. I didn't have any trouble over the weekend. The only thing I don't really like is the way they handled grouping, but maybe that'll get refined in a year or so (or whenever - it wasn't that big of a deal).

29. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 16:02 Drayth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4PddwLiYQs  

28. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 15:22 Cutter

Frijoles wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 13:13:
Honestly if that were the only problem with ESO, that'd be fine. Things like that will die down in a week. But the bugs. My god. They're really competing with traditional TES games. At least with TES, the community can fix things. Not so here.

Did you think that would be different from beta somehow? I could have forgiven a lot with the shitty decisions they made about so many things in this game but the fact that half of the quests I did were unfinishable spoke volumes. Christ, if they couldn't even get the intro to the game working fine how fucked is the rest of it? At least Conan had a solid first 20 levels or so. I suspect on top of the bugs and bad design that the late game for this is going to seriously suck as well.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

27. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 15:17 Cutter

Nighthawk wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 10:30:
There's the 2nd nail in the coffin of this game.
I've got hopes for them but my (limited) number of a reviews I've read seems this game is NOT being received well at all...
Now top that up to billing problems, this is going to tank faster than Old Republic

Well that's why it's so silly anyone is paying for this when they can check it for free 6 months from now.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

26. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 14:54 Beamer

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 14:09:
MS did the same thing for a 'free' month of Skype. They needed a card/paypal to activate the free trial and then they gave the dollar back to your account. Then at the end of the trial period--automatic renewal at full price. I called and got my money back.
It's called backward billing. Not saying ESO is doing this--just a heads up.

It's bad that they automatically convert you, but it's also to make sure people don't just endlessly sign up for free months. You need a credit card for the free month, and it gets tied either to the CC# or, more likely, the billing address. It prevents fraud.

That they tie you into a forced charge after is sketchy, awkward, and not why they make you enter the credit card. It's just someone taking advantage of it afterwards.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 14:39 Darks

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 14:09:
MS did the same thing for a 'free' month of Skype. They needed a card/paypal to activate the free trial and then they gave the dollar back to your account. Then at the end of the trial period--automatic renewal at full price. I called and got my money back.

I wouldnít just pin ESO as doing this. Blizz, EA and every other MMO thatís been Pay to play have done this same form of billing. Itís really become the standard for how they bill you to activate an MMO Sub.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

24. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 14:09 Marvin T. Martian

23. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 13:49 Total-Khaos

Creston wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 11:04:
"Hey, with your game purchase comes 30 days of free game time. However, we do put an authorization charge on your bank account to make sure you can actually afford the 15 dollar fee... that you don't owe us until next month.

"Don't worry, it's totally legit!"

Usually this authorization hold lasts a short period of time before being removed. It can vary from bank to bank.

Most banks leave that on there for three frikkin days.

I work with the payment card industry and can tell you some authorizations can last up to 30 days.

22. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 13:44 Alamar

Frijoles wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 13:13:
Alamar wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 11:35:
Do you not know that every mob is shared? See a boss, or just anyone fighting anything, and join in... You don't hurt the other person's xp/loot, and you get credit...

Yep, but I have a problem standing around with 15 other people waiting to gang-bang the mob. Or in the case of finishing a dunegon (non-instanced), you have to stand there for a few minutes waiting for the end-boss to spawn, then hope you get a hit on him in the half second he lives. Otherwise you get to wait again. Or not get the achievement for the dungeon.

Honestly if that were the only problem with ESO, that'd be fine. Things like that will die down in a week. But the bugs. My god. They're really competing with traditional TES games. At least with TES, the community can fix things. Not so here.

I agree that it's frustrating as hell... Especially now that we're all used to fast spawning 'named' mobs... Back in the day, after trudging uphill, in snow, for hours, we had to wait another few hours for a spawn... : )

Shared (quest) mobs was one of the things added to WoW in MoP, but they still fucked it up for launch day/week, because while you only needed like 5% of the kill, there was one quest that required you to get enough damage on two mobs... So there were like 50 people standing around these two mobs spamming AOE as soon as they spawned... Also frustrating as hell to miss out on the quest credit.

As for bugs, I have encountered 2 or 3, all of which were 'phasing' issues that a re-log fixed. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the smoothness of the launch...

I hope, and expect, your experience to improve over the coming days (hopefully it doesn't take even that long).

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 13:33:
I guess I forgot to make my point, if I wait until the last day to decide, I still my get charged for a sub I did not want and I have to go through the hassle of taking it off my charge, and like many of us, I tend to forget when the 30 day limit is due.

Do what I do.. Make it a habit of cancelling immediately after sub'n...

-Alamar

21. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 13:38 Beelzebud

Clearly if you don't have 15 dollars on a card you don't deserve to play the game you just paid 60 for. You're obviously broke, a loser, and need to get a job.

Or maybe you use pre-paid cards so companies can't double bill your actual bank account.

20. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 13:33 Ozmodan

Darks wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 12:27:
Verno wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 12:22:
Ozmodan wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 12:04:
You should never have to enter payment information initially. I am glad I did not purchase this game just because of that. I could care less that it is subscription, but telling me I can't play because I don't enter a credit card that is ludicrous.

Ideally the game should just come with a one time game code that gives you a month of use. Let's be honest though, companies just farm the wallets of the people who forget to unsub the second month. Doesn't solve the gold farmer problem but I think those kinds of issues should be dealt with separately.

I have to disagree with you there Verno, This is done for one reason. Itís to prevent anyone with a copy of the game to play it for free. Anyone that has a copy installed from either the beta or a friendís account could just jump on with their account and start playing for those 30 days.

They make you use a credit card but you are not charged for those 30 days. If someone forgets. Then that has to fall on the person forgetting. You canít blame a company for trying to protect their assets from the free loaders.

And yes, there are cd keys involved to. So In some ways I guess it could be done without making you put a card in first.

I guess I forgot to make my point, if I wait until the last day to decide, I still my get charged for a sub I did not want and I have to go through the hassle of taking it off my charge, and like many of us, I tend to forget when the 30 day limit is due.

19. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 13:13 Frijoles

Alamar wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 11:35:
Do you not know that every mob is shared? See a boss, or just anyone fighting anything, and join in... You don't hurt the other person's xp/loot, and you get credit...

Yep, but I have a problem standing around with 15 other people waiting to gang-bang the mob. Or in the case of finishing a dunegon (non-instanced), you have to stand there for a few minutes waiting for the end-boss to spawn, then hope you get a hit on him in the half second he lives. Otherwise you get to wait again. Or not get the achievement for the dungeon.

18. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 12:58 Tumbler

Usually this authorization hold lasts a short period of time before being removed. It can vary from bank to bank.

Most banks leave that on there for three frikkin days.

Most places also only charge you $1.00 to see if the card is legit. I updated my info on Itunes so that I could buy FTL over the weekend. and it showed a $1 charge on my card then a $9.99 charge. I assume the $1 charge will come off in a day or two.

In the case of an MMO I don't think I've ever had them run the card before the game time is up. Maybe they do and I've never noticed.

It seems pretty unnecessary when you consider having a legit game key already cost the player $60 and access to your account will be restricted if the CC info isn't correct. It might be a passive aggressive move against players who likely only want to play for that first month? (but that makes little to no sense unless they're complete idiots....and they did make Elder Scrolls Online...a game NO ONE wanted...so....)

It's hard to believe there is some arterial motive behind this. More likely someone type 15 in the auth check field when they should have typed 1.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

17. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 12:52 Darks

Verno wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 12:37:
I have to disagree with you there Verno, This is done for one reason. Itís to prevent anyone with a copy of the game to play it for free. Anyone that has a copy installed from either the beta or a friendís account could just jump on with their account and start playing for those 30 days.

I don't see a problem with that scenario as long as the account has paid game time and I feel like you fight gold farmers with a strong abuse department rather than with billing. If there's one thing I've learned with MMOs over the years its that the gold farmers will always find a way as long as the demand is there.

Ughh, Gold Farmers, those guys have been rampant on the chat channel the past week. I got a mod to ignore those asshats.

As for them finding a way, I think in a pay to paly game it can get very costly if those guys are buying multiple copies of the game. But then again, I think they just steal some dumbasses account because they go and buy gold and use the same exact credentials as their MMO account. Thatís how you get your account taken. Dumbshits!!

16. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 12:37 Verno

I don't see a problem with that scenario as long as the account has paid game time and I feel like you fight gold farmers with a strong abuse department rather than with billing. If there's one thing I've learned with MMOs over the years its that the gold farmers will always find a way as long as the demand is there.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

15. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 12:27 Darks

Verno wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 12:22:
You should never have to enter payment information initially. I am glad I did not purchase this game just because of that. I could care less that it is subscription, but telling me I can't play because I don't enter a credit card that is ludicrous.

Ideally the game should just come with a one time game code that gives you a month of use. Let's be honest though, companies just farm the wallets of the people who forget to unsub the second month. Doesn't solve the gold farmer problem but I think those kinds of issues should be dealt with separately.

They make you use a credit card but you are not charged for those 30 days. If someone forgets. Then that has to fall on the person forgetting. You canít blame a company for trying to protect their assets from the free loaders.

And yes, there are cd keys involved to. So In some ways I guess it could be done without making you put a card in first.

14. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 12:22 Verno

Ideally the game should just come with a one time game code that gives you a month of use. Doesn't solve the gold farmer problem but I think those kinds of issues should be dealt with separately. I think they like getting the money of people who stay subbed game because of forgetfulness/etc too.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

13. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 12:05 Beamer

As others are pointing out, this is often done to prevent abuse. It keeps away spammers.

Plenty of online sites do similar things to prove you're a real person, too, but typically it's a $0.15.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo