Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

As always we're your goat to site for Valve's accounting of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the previous week:

1. Goat Simulator
  2. DayZ
  3. Age of Wonders III
  4. Rust
  5. Space Engineers
  6. South Park: The Stick of Truth
  7. Watch Dogs
  8. Dark Souls II
  9. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  10. Batman: Arkham Origins

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 8, 2014, 11:21 Slashman

.Drifter wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 00:27:
Suppa7 wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 17:44:
Slashman wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 12:51:
Sanctum was a 70 on metacritic with a user score of 6.7. Sanctum 2 is a 77 with a user score of 7.6. Who the hell needs facts these days?

My apologies I was looking at the xbox version of S2. Still doesn't matter, Sanctum was a shitty tower defense clone cashing in on the dumb tasteless masses. (aka if you liked it, you are one of the dumb masses).

It's part of why metacritic scores are all over the place, the masses are asses.

Not sure I know of many other, if any, FPS tower defense games, so I don't necessarily know I'd call Sanctum a "clone" exactly.

Like I said earlier: Who actually needs facts when skewed and insulting opinions are so much easier to wallow in?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 8, 2014, 00:27 .Drifter

Suppa7 wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 17:44:
Sanctum was a 70 on metacritic with a user score of 6.7. Sanctum 2 is a 77 with a user score of 7.6. Who the hell needs facts these days?

My apologies I was looking at the xbox version of S2. Still doesn't matter, Sanctum was a shitty tower defense clone cashing in on the dumb tasteless masses. (aka if you liked it, you are one of the dumb masses).

It's part of why metacritic scores are all over the place, the masses are asses.

Not sure I know of many other, if any, FPS tower defense games, so I don't necessarily know I'd call Sanctum a "clone" exactly.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2014, 17:51 Beamer

Yosemite Sam wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 13:52:
I hate buggy games. I hate the damn devs release now fix later policy. I've always hated it, I've always riled against it. I hated it when it was just a PC thing. I hated it when consoles took up the practice once they were able to patch. Now I see a game that's buggy as hell and everyone is flocking to it and fucking celebrating it! Ya it pisses me off.

Not all bugs are bad, and sometimes they actually make things better.
Unless, of course, you think id should have fixed rocket jumping.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2014, 17:44 Suppa7

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2014, 13:52 Yosemite Sam

I hate buggy games. I hate the damn devs release now fix later policy. I've always hated it, I've always riled against it. I hated it when it was just a PC thing. I hated it when consoles took up the practice once they were able to patch. Now I see a game that's buggy as hell and everyone is flocking to it and fucking celebrating it! Ya it pisses me off.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2014, 13:02 Beamer

I actually very much enjoy Tower Defense games, though more on mobile. Orcs Must Die was one of the best recent series for me.

And I don't get how someone could find a joke game so infuriating. I'll pick it up for $5, play it for two hours, and be done with it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2014, 12:51 Slashman

Suppa7 wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 10:04:
Sanctum was such shit, the user score was 4.5. The reality was the game devs behind Goat simulator just won the attention lottery is all. They were never great at anything, they were just trying to take advantage of trends and building shitty clones to cash in on the dumb masses.

The last thing the world needed was more tower defense.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2014, 10:04 Suppa7

Sanctum was such shit, the user score was 4.5. The reality was the game devs behind Goat simulator just won the attention lottery is all. They were never great at anything, they were just trying to take advantage of trends and building shitty clones to cash in on the dumb masses.

The last thing the world needed was more tower defense.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2014, 09:55 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 01:58:
I think he was talking about relative success. I don't think any of the Sanctum games ever made it into the top 10, let alone number 1. I wouldn't be surprised if Goat Simulator was already more profitable than all of the Sanctum games combined. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the devs were already working on a sequel. They surely weren't expecting the game to be this successful and it would be silly to ignore that success.

Maybe, but I really would prefer them not to throw away the stuff they are good at for something this silly. Even if they stick to it as a side project, I don't want them to throw the entire resources of the studio behind it and leave out everything else.

Guess we'll wait and see.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2014, 02:17 jacobvandy

Slashman wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 00:52:
What exactly are you talking about? They made Sanctum and Sanctum 2. Sanctum 1 was successful enough to fund development of the sequel which has a 77 on Metacritic and was released on console as well.

A game doesn't need CoD numbers to be a success if it is profitable for the studio making it.

I like Sanctum, I like that they were able to make a sequel, but how can you say that it's not underwhelming when that franchise pales in comparison to a spontaneous spoof... Sanctum sold 300k in its first year, peaking at 1300 concurrent players the first week and 4400 players the first time it went on sale later that year. They haven't released sales figures for the sequel yet, but they sure slashed the prices quick after peaking at 2400 concurrent players on release day, eventually leading to a breakthrough last January when they sold the game and DLC for 85% off where they peaked at 14000 players (and a lot of that was because of the free weekend). But even that is barely a blip on the Steam radar. Goat fucking Simulator, on the other hand, already peaked at 10,000 and sold enough to be the #1 top seller for the week. Neither Sanctum game ever made the top 10, not even the sequel on the aforementioned biggest weekend it ever had. Estimates based on global rankings on the in-game leaderboards put copies sold at more than 128k the first day.

So yeah, Sanctum 1/2 may not have been total failures, but I didn't say that. I just implied they did pretty shitty, because that's the truth. They were received decently by critics and a small fanbase, but I guarantee you they didn't live up to Coffee Stain's expectations. Maybe they'll put this goat money into making Sanctum 3 a better game? Though I have to think they're really re-evaluating their methods as developers when the games they pour months or years of blood, sweat, and tears into get outshined in every measure by a 3-month, effortless joke.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2014, 01:58 Jerykk

Slashman wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 00:52:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 22:34:
Well the popularity may have been a happy accident for them, but Goat Simulator is absolutely a product of overblown social media hype, and if you missed that you've kind of been under a rock lately. Couple guys at the studio fool around for a month learning Unreal Engine and spoofing the simulator genre, and share the ludicrous result on YouTube to become a viral sensation. They get loads of people asking them to make it a full game, so they take a few months to add on to it (but also preserving many of the wacky bugs and glitches that made it so entertaining), and cash in on April Fools' Day. I'm glad it worked out for them, I guess, especially since their more serious attempts at game development have seen underwhelming success, but this is basically a PC version of Flappy Bird flash in the pan fad shit.

What exactly are you talking about? They made Sanctum and Sanctum 2. Sanctum 1 was successful enough to fund development of the sequel which has a 77 on Metacritic and was released on console as well.

A game doesn't need CoD numbers to be a success if it is profitable for the studio making it.

I think he was talking about relative success. I don't think any of the Sanctum games ever made it into the top 10, let alone number 1. I wouldn't be surprised if Goat Simulator was already more profitable than all of the Sanctum games combined. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the devs were already working on a sequel. They surely weren't expecting the game to be this successful and it would be silly to ignore that success.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2014, 01:25 Krovven

I thought Goat Simulator was an April Fools joke.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2014, 00:52 Slashman

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 22:34:
Well the popularity may have been a happy accident for them, but Goat Simulator is absolutely a product of overblown social media hype, and if you missed that you've kind of been under a rock lately. Couple guys at the studio fool around for a month learning Unreal Engine and spoofing the simulator genre, and share the ludicrous result on YouTube to become a viral sensation. They get loads of people asking them to make it a full game, so they take a few months to add on to it (but also preserving many of the wacky bugs and glitches that made it so entertaining), and cash in on April Fools' Day. I'm glad it worked out for them, I guess, especially since their more serious attempts at game development have seen underwhelming success, but this is basically a PC version of Flappy Bird flash in the pan fad shit.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 6, 2014, 23:47 Jerykk

sfMadMax wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 20:08:
How is Dayz still on here?

It's been in the top 5 (usually top 2) ever since it was released. Why would you be surprised that it's still there?

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 6, 2014, 22:34 jacobvandy

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 6, 2014, 22:01 .Drifter

Yosemite Sam wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 16:26:
#1 Goat Simulator?! The masses jump on this horrible, buggy, POS game and we wonder why companies shit in a box and call it the bestest thing evar! ... well shit sells if you market it right.

They marketed Goat Simulator? First time I saw anything about it was the video on the Steam "coming soon" page, and even there they basically told you to buy something else.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 6, 2014, 21:04 harlock

sfMadMax wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 20:08:

zombies, dubstep, CoD, justin beiber, mcdonalds, etc.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 6, 2014, 20:08 sfMadMax

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 6, 2014, 19:37 nin

Yosemite Sam wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 16:26:
#1 Goat Simulator?! The masses jump on this horrible, buggy, POS game and we wonder why companies shit in a box and call it the bestest thing evar! ... well shit sells if you market it right.

Holy ozmodan, Batman!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 6, 2014, 18:45 Cutter

Anyone else get an invite for the EQ Landmark beta yet?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo