Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online Launches

The Bethesda Blog announces the launch of The Elder Scrolls Online, saying the game is available for purchase from The Elder Scrolls Online Store for Windows and OS X. "We are grateful for the overwhelming response to The Elder Scrolls Online," said Game Director Matt Firor. "With 5 million people registered for beta, it’s clear that a large number of fans are eager to jump online and experience everything the game has to offer. We couldn’t be more excited to get it into everyone’s hands." A new "Siege" cinematic trailer celebrates the news, and here's word, which concludes with plans for console releases down the road:

Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax® Media company, today announced that The Elder Scrolls Online is now available for PC and Mac at retailers worldwide and on the official online store. Developed by ZeniMax Online Studios, The Elder Scrolls Online is the latest chapter in the award-winning franchise and brings the legendary experience online for the first time.

The Elder Scrolls Online allows gamers to choose their own style of play as they embark upon an epic adventure across all of Tamriel. Players can adventure alone on heroic quests as in previous Elder Scrolls games, explore the huge, rich world with a few friends, or join with hundreds of others in massive Player vs. Player (PvP) battles to save the Empire.

"We are grateful for the overwhelming response to The Elder Scrolls Online," said Matt Firor, Game Director of The Elder Scrolls Online. "With 5 million people registered for beta, it’s clear that a large number of fans are eager to jump online and experience everything the game has to offer. We couldn’t be more excited to get it into everyone’s hands."

The Elder Scrolls Online was named Best Role Playing Game at E3 2013 by the Game Critics, a panel of leading North American media outlets, and is considered one of the industry’s most anticipated titles for 2014. The previous chapter in this franchise was The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim® which was released in November 2011 and enjoyed worldwide critical and commercial success. As the sequel to the 2002 Role-Playing Game of the Year, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind®, and the 2006 Game of the Year, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion®, Skyrim earned hundreds of ‘Game of the Year’ awards and sold over 20 million copies.

In addition to today’s PC and Mac release, The Elder Scrolls Online is in development for the PlayStation®4 system, and Xbox One®, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft. The Elder Scrolls Online has been rated M for Mature by the ESRB For more information on The Elder Scrolls Online visit http://elderscrollsonline.com.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 7, 2014, 11:57 BitWraith

Zoom wrote on Apr 5, 2014, 14:22:
BitWraith wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 11:28:
I'd say very few. It's obvious that World of Warcraft was a unique case. I like this game, but I don't see any reason why this one will buck the trend.
WoW was nothing special either. The only thing going for it was a very expensive and clever marketing campaign that involved grassroots propaganda to spark up the social networking around it. I remember i was quite surprised many of my friends would fall for it, but they went "because everyone else is there"...
I'm not saying TES online will repeat this, just that popularity is not tied to quality.

I dunno who you are, how old you are, or when you started MMO gaming. That being said, I can remember WoW's launch, and as an old school UO, EQ, DAOC, SWG etc player, I can tell you that WoW at launch was the most amazing thing I had ever played. It's easy to beat it up now because it's old. But, man, back then it absolutely dominated my thoughts even when I was offline. It was the very best - to call it "nothing special" cheapens what those folks accomplished.

ESO - I'm enjoying. It's not as good of a game at launch as wow was. However, I'm tired of playing wow, and this is a fresh change of pace.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 5, 2014, 22:32 Quinn

I'd say very few. It's obvious that World of Warcraft was a unique case. I like this game, but I don't see any reason why this one will buck the trend.
WoW was nothing special either. The only thing going for it was a very expensive and clever marketing campaign that involved grassroots propaganda to spark up the social networking around it. I remember i was quite surprised many of my friends would fall for it, but they went "because everyone else is there"...
I'm not saying TES online will repeat this, just that popularity is not tied to quality.

Tell that to the millions of people who played the vanilla WoW hardcore.

There was one trailer I watched before getting into WoW. One. It was CGI. Orcs vs Humans. Very generic. I ended up playing the game for 5 years.

Thinking WoW got nothing on it but good marketing is right about the biggest ignorant crap I've ever heard on Bluesnews. WoW did many things very right in many ways and marketing had absolutely nothing to do with it.

We can bitch and moan about WoW like empty crackwhores but not one MMORPG got even remotely as close as WoW's success. From Zoram Strand to Desolace to places in the Lich King's expansion, this game had me in its firm amd awesome grip.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

56. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 5, 2014, 15:24 Agent.X7

Too cool for school!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

55. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 5, 2014, 14:22 Zoom

54. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 5, 2014, 11:31 Agent.X7

5 day headstart and I still don't have a character above 12. (Ok, I have one 12 and one 9, but still...)  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

53. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 22:21 Tumbler

The giantbomb quicklook was pretty interesting. I think I watched them play for an hour. Impressive how much they got it to look like Skyrim. Didn't expect that.

I'll just load up skyrim and mod it to hell and back if I want to play I suppose.

The problem is that Skyrim, to me, is a better game. As good a job as they did making this like skyrim, it's glaringly obvious that it's not as good. The giantbomb playthrough showed them getting a horse toward the end of one video. The prices started at 17,000 gold for the lowest tier horse and many were 42k or 45k. In the hour or so I'd been watching they had collected about 400 gold. Lucky for them they had the fancy imperial version which comes with a horse. That was one gold.

So it's like Skrim, just more expensive, and takes longer to play. (in a bad way)

So I'm good with old Skyrim.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

52. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 17:50 xXBatmanXx

Add me @xXBatmanXx - have an Ebonheart Bluesnews guild.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

51. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 17:06 PropheT

Zanderat1 wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 15:40:
How badly does this trample on lore? And how exactly does a TES game work as a MMO? Part of what makes the TES series is the single player open world aspect.

If anything, I'd actually say lore is a strong point of the game. It's set a long time before the single player games, from what I've gathered, before the lengthy Septim ruling chain of the Empire.

It's TES in that it uses the same lore, races, characterizations, locations, and so on. It has some of the feel of the single player games, but largely plays and progresses like an MMO. After the first 10 levels or so, you really do wind up just wandering and grabbing quests as you run into them, though; it's not as streamlined of a theme park as WoW or Warhammer and even seems a bit less directed than GW2 (although there's less choices of where to go than in GW2).

Where the single-player games are more about exploration and discovery, this is more about combat and storytelling. Whether that's good or bad will depend on player tastes, really.

50. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 16:40 Steele Johnson

Creston wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 11:25:
With 5 million people registered for beta, it’s clear that a large number of fans are eager to jump online and experience everything the game has to offer play an MMO for free to see if it's any good.

Let us know how many people subscribe after their first month is over.

They said the same thing about FFXIV: A Realm Reborn and their servers are still jammed with players. I doubt any mmo will ever come close to what Blizzard achieved. Even Blizzard won't make that happen again. That was just a good game with the right timing. Like a lot of fluky success stories. The state of this genre now is that if you're looking for something completely new, you're not going to get it (yet), but if you love the genre (like you love FPS, RTS, etc), you'll most likely enjoy ESO.

49. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 16:18 Drayth

Another thing to note is, at least as of last night, the game's still running in a borderless windowed mode even if you choose fullscreen.

I imagine they'll have exclusive fullscreen mode in soon (ToR got it in last minute too). Once that happens the game will no longer be locked to your desktop's gamma settings (should help with the dark char creation screens some people have), and performance will improve.

Driver control panel AA settings should start working, as well as Crossfire too. I think SLI runs fine in windowed.

You can tell it's in borderless windowed mode because alt-tabbing is pretty much instantaneous.

48. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 16:13 Cutter

nin wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 15:18:
osage no onna wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 15:09:
Maybe they can start talking about Fallout 4 now that they got this thing out of the way.

Different studios, weren't they?

Aren't they. And yes they are. We'll be hearing about the new F04 this year before too long and the new TES next year at some point. Everyone is more than ready for some new Fallout.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

47. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 16:04 Rossini

I've been having a lot of fun the past few days leveling up an AD NB and a DC Sorc. I can't decided between them.

A couple of addons that are "must have's" are LootDrop (in conjunction with auto-loot) and SpamFilter. The latter puts most of the gold spammers into your ignore list automatically. You can also add rules to it for spammers it can't determine. esoui.com seems like a good place to grab these.

Edit: LootDrop shows what you've looted in a little scrolling window at the bottom right of your screen. It fades out after a bit.

A note about the Recount addon someone mentioned above. It only works for your damage.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2014, 16:10.

46. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 15:59 Rossini

Alamar wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 12:11:
Darks wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 11:09:
Alamar, you might be interested in checking out Wykkyds mod for ESO. its a very nice UI mod and much more. It has a ton of features to turn on and off.

http://www.curse.com/teso-addons/teso/wykkyds-framework

Just came back from curse to see what it offered... Was surprised to see Recount; Didn't know the numbers were available. Thanks for the suggestion; I like the 'slightly improved' addons, though I may also try the WarLegend HUD.

What I really found I missed yesterday, was after turning auto loot on, I had no idea what I was looting, and found no way to turn it on in the chat window, which meant I would have to open my inventory to see the new stuff every time.

Creston wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 11:46:
JohnBirshire wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 11:40:
My only real criticism so far is the FOV...seriously, do the developers even play videogames?!

Yes, but they play them on shitty consoles that can't handle a higher FOV at a decent resolution...

Though I'd be surprised if the PS4 can't just run this at 90FOV @ 1080p with a decent framerate, because visually it really isn't all that spectacular.

While it's true, smaller FOV renders less objects, I always thought the smaller FOV was because couches sit further away than computer chairs...

Either case is irrelevant on a PC, where options should always be available, especially trivial ones like this.

-Alamar

Paul Sage said in early March they are working on an FOV slider. In the recent AMA on Reddit he said it wouldn't be in for launch. Hopefully, it will show up fairly soon.

45. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 15:53 Desalus

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 14:25:
McTurbo wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 12:28:
boring trailer.. shows nothing about the game.

Doesn't even show anything about the lore... what a waste of 5 minutes

And technically, it's a shitty trailer as well, very hard cuts no setup, no thematic arc... it was directed by a noob.

There are two other cinematic trailers which connect into this one, but they are all tedious action sequences with little substance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jNT5cMwxw0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVMNQozxqos

44. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 15:47 Zanderat1

WTF does that godawful trailer have to do with TES at all?  

43. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 15:44 HorrorScope

I haven't seen any mods uploaded yet, where's the naked one's at?  

42. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 15:40 Zanderat1

How badly does this trample on lore? And how exactly does a TES game work as a MMO? Part of what makes the TES series is the single player open world aspect.  

41. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 15:24 Agent.X7

Maybe they can start talking about Fallout 4 now that they got this thing out of the way.

Yeah, ESO is Zenimax Online, which is owned by Zenimax, the parent corporation of Bethesda. People from Beth soft lent a helping hand, but Bethesda is working on the new Fallout and a some other projects. Bethesda is also the name Zenimax uses to publish games now, so it can be a bit convoluted and confusing at times.

Edit - I keep forgetting this is coming for XBONE and PS4 too. Not going to be as good for them, I think.

EDIT AGAIN: Bethesda Softworks is the publishing arm of Zenimax. Under them is Bethesda Game Studios, iD software, Arkane studios, and Zenimax Online. (Also a couple of others, I forget.)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

40. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 15:22 NKD

Yep, totally different studio, same parent company. Whatever they may be working on at Bethesda, I doubt they were sitting on their hands waiting for Zenimax Online Studios to finish pinching this loaf.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

39. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 15:21 xXBatmanXx

Ghola wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 15:07:
I played a bit during the early access...went to put in game reg code and setup payment...website keeps crashing during the payment and account completion. emailed support. lets see how long this takes. I judge paid MMOs by how quick their response is. It's a shame that this happens on launch day. or course I can remember other debacles on launch day as well.

huh?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo