Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

GameSpy Shutting Down Services

The GameSpy Technology Website announces that as of the end of next month, GameSpy owner Glu will discontinue backend services for games using GameSpy technology (thanks Joao). Word is: Effective May 31, 2014, GameSpy will cease providing all hosted services for all games still using GameSpy. If you have any questions about how this impacts your favorite title please contact the game's publisher for more information. Thanks for a great ride!" This will impact lots of games, and in one case, there's already a post on the Bohemia Interactive forums saying they are working on an alternatives for Arma 3 and Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, while users of their older games will just have to get by without the services GameSpy was previously providing:

Important notice: effective May 31, 2014, Gamespy will cease providing all hosted services for all games.

This is going to affect multiplayer in our games that use Gamespy for matchmaking, cd keys authentification and NAT traversal from Arma: Resistance to Arma 3. We are planning to introduce an alternative solution using Steam to Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead and Arma 3 users.

Other games (Take On Helicopters, Arma 2, Arma 2: Free, Arma, Arma: Cold War Assault) will have more limited multiplayer experience with loss of server browser, cd key authentification and NAT traversal systems. That said, direct IP connection to servers should work even after Gamespy services are no longer available.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services May 12, 2014, 18:14 Ant

Kawlisse wrote on May 12, 2014, 18:04:
I despise gamespy since they shut down my beloved Mplayer service !
Wow, I remember that one during my college and dial-up days!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services May 12, 2014, 18:04 Kawlisse

I despise gamespy since they shut down my beloved Mplayer service !  

55. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 7, 2014, 01:31 Ladron3dfx

ViRGE wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 18:45:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 18:32:
End of an era.
Indeed.

Pour a drink to fallen friends (and in this case services).

This does come at an interesting time though. So very close to the shutdown of Games For Windows Live. This leaves Steamworks as the only common backend still running.

Now does anyone have a list of games that are using GameSpy?

I believe this is the full list.

Also, GFWL has been updated recently. Version 3.5.95.0 is latest. Wink

Steamworks

54. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 5, 2014, 22:35 Ant

robdot wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 23:27:
Welcome, to gamespy !
I just heard it again when I checked my GameSpy Arcade installation. Its server lister doesn't even worked. I uninstalled it. Kali still works I think.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

53. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 15:18 ViRGE

Scott Kevill wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 05:48:
As far as I know, no one has any tears for the GameSpy tech itself. It's more that the tech was forced as the only way to play some of these games online. It's the loss of multiplayer for these games that is being mourned.
I have tears for it. The master server system was simple but effective, which is why they had been able to run it for so many years for games that have all but died.

52. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 14:18 Scott Kevill

pagb wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 14:11:
Scott Kevill wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 10:16:
pagb wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 10:09:
The thousands of people still playing Modern Warfare will not like this

Modern Warfare didn't use GameSpy, so it will be fine.
Didn't? Then it was every CoD until MW1, right?

Hmm, I don't think any of the CoD games did. You may be thinking of Medal of Honor, as that series did use GameSpy.

GameRanger http://www.GameRanger.com/
multiplayer online gaming service

51. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 14:11 pagb

Scott Kevill wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 10:16:

Didn't? Then it was every CoD until MW1, right?

50. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 10:16 Scott Kevill

49. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 10:09 pagb

48. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 10:03 NiteX

I had no clue Gamespy was still even a thing.  

47. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 08:54 Verno

Scott Kevill wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 05:48:
As far as I know, no one has any tears for the GameSpy tech itself. It's more that the tech was forced as the only way to play some of these games online. It's the loss of multiplayer for these games that is being mourned.

Yep exactly. This affects everything from BF1942/BF2 to Ghost Recon to Tribes to cd auth for many old titles. Covers 2001 to present. That's some serious shit, people making light of the dumb client are really missing the bigger picture. The client has been crap for as long as I can remember but these guys did a ton of backend hosting for the industry that went unnoticed by customers.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

46. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 08:05 Mad Max RW

I had an alright time working at 3DActionPlanet until Gamespy acquired Mplayer to push GSA's popularity and blew up Fileplanet around 2001. Warning my friends who remained that they were making themselves irrelevant in the next couple years by growing too big for their own good while screwing users for ad revenue and paid "gold" member subscriptions instead of looking at new better ways of delivering game content (Steam was a couple years away) made leaving so much easier.

Thirteen years later and I thought they closed down a long time ago.

45. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 07:54 Numinar

Not just the CD check, but the crazy DRM that will pop in if you try and have a go at operation flashpoint. Yikes!

There should be a law about companies being required to supply updated or non-drm versions of titles whose DRM management systems goe defunct. This should apply to whoever owns the IP in the event the original studio/publisher does not.

Should be industry best practice to have a backup plan in place for this that can survive bankruptcies, buy outs and the passage of time.

44. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 05:48 Scott Kevill

43. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 05:45 Nighthawk

I remember it switching from Quakespy to Gamespy 3D and then the introduction of Arcade and the rest, and yearly subscription (vs the one time purchase).
They gave all of us classic members lifetime for GS3D, then discontinued it.
It's an end of an era but they did pull some pretty douche moves on their customers, so there won't be any tears shed.

Goodbye old friend

42. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 04:42 BicycleRepairMan

Creston wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 01:35:
Scott Kevill wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 21:37:
Developer of GameRanger here.

Hate seeing this happen. I'm trying to reach out to all affected developers and publishers to see if I can help. Not interested in making anything out of this, just don't want to see multiplayer games die.

Your service is awesome, Scott. Keep up the great work.

Why oh WHY did you not switch the order of "awesome" and "great" in that sentence???!1!11

41. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 03:38 InBlack

Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 21:15:
Overon wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 19:24:
necrosis wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 19:18:
GameSpy. Its use not needed in a world where game companies want to control everything.

No user run dedicated servers. No toolkits for modding. Servers shut down a year after game launch. DRM. You name it.

Welcome to the future.
And all we have to blame is the gamers themselves who voted with their money and didn't care that it happened.

Amen.

Indeed.

I have a nifty blue line!

40. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 03:32 DangerDog

Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 21:14:
And thus everything switches to Steam, and 10 years from now Steam shu... I'm not even gonna say it.

... get's bought up by Facebook. Shocked2

39. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 02:30 Scheherazade

There's always Qtracker : http://www.qtracker.com/

-scheherazade

38. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 02:20 KilrathiAce

People who play men of war games online and especially men of war assault squad 1 will be affected, although taht game does have lan built in that allows to use internet ips. Of course men of war assault squad 2 uses staamworks and steam matchmaking guess developers knew gamespy will be kia soon.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo