Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access

Early access for Carmageddon: Reincarnation is now available on Steam, offering the chance to put a few thousand points on your virtual license in this recreation of the old school road rage game (thanks Dan). Here's the pitch:

We are deeply delighted to announce that Early Access for Carmageddon: Reincarnation is now available on Steam! So go forth into splattering carnage land and enjoy your first taste of Hot Carmageddon Action!

With this Early Access launch (Pre-Alpha v0.1.2.4593) comes a new update to the “Early Early Access” build previously released as an exclusive preview for our Kickstarter Backers. This will be automatically applied to your game the next time you run the Steam client.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 31, 2014, 14:10 jdreyer

nin wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 08:36:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 22:56:
nin wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 20:16:
$1, so I could troll their board. It was delicious.

HAHAHAHAHA! That's awesome.

Best part was, since it failed, they couldn't charge me the dollar.

Best dollar you almost spent!

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 31, 2014, 11:38 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 19:12:
RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 18:51:
Seems I touched a nerve here. You pro-publisher guys want to share your Kickstarter levels and Early Access receipts?

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/nin

Dear God, you are just MADE of money, aren't you?

43. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 31, 2014, 10:21 KilrathiAce

This game already have better car damage modeling than multi million budget game like gta 5 lol.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

42. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 31, 2014, 08:51 Mad Max RW

Jerykk wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 00:44:

$625k (before taxes and other expenses) is pocket change for a videogame. Any developer, indie or otherwise, can make a better game when they have more money. Could Stainless have completed Carmageddon with only their Kickstarter funding? Probably, but it would have definitely been a lesser game. More money = better game and as a gamer, that's all I care about.

After the Kickstarter campaign successfully ended Stainless received another $3 million investment. The extra money directly impacted the size and scope of what was originally intended to be a smaller game. Early Access gives them the chance to keep everyone on the team employed and working that much longer.

To put things in perspective GTA5 cost around $270 million to develop.

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2014, 09:08.

41. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 31, 2014, 08:36 nin

jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 22:56:

Best part was, since it failed, they couldn't charge me the dollar.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

40. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 31, 2014, 06:19 jacobvandy

Early Access is hardly synonymous with crowd-funding... Unlike Kickstarter or other project sites, it's not just a donation, you're actually making a purchase. You get something in return immediately along with entitlements to future updates. There are no as-yet non-existent games on Steam Early Access; if you don't like what's currently on offer, or you're not interested in supporting further development, you don't buy it. Just like any traditional release of the past umpteen years. Only unlike traditional releases, the digital age allows [usually independent] developers to be much more transparent in their everyday activities and in some cases even borderline collaborative with their target audience. I don't get how anyone could possibly be against that.  

39. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 31, 2014, 01:43 Slashman

I'm pretty much with Jerykk on this one.

It's not obligatory to buy their early access offering and if it leads to a better game, then where is the harm?

My one early access gripe was GalCiv 3. I thought that too much was left out of the game for even the early access. But again, I'm not forced to buy it in that state.

There is more transparency with early access as well. You can see what the devs are doing and make suggestions at the point where things are easier to change than if the game was fully released.

The devs can make changes that invalidate savegames etc. without worrying that there will be massive backlash.

It's really not a bad thing overall.

38. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 31, 2014, 00:44 Jerykk

RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 19:04:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 18:52:
Okay..? If Early Access helps make the game better, what exactly is the problem? Would you rather they avoid Early Access and release an inferior game?

Well in my case, the issue is they ran a Kickstarter plus Early Access. To me that's double-dipping. They not only did they meet their Kickstarter goal, they exceeded it. So why do they need Early Access now? It doesn't say anywhere on Steam that Early Access will make the game even better then was planned with their Kickstarter funds.

I'd rather see a real indie dev that really need the funds and marketing that Early Access provides in their place.

Games are expensive to make. Very few games are released within budget, letalone in a polished and truly final state. Too many games are released prematurely because the developers need to start generating revenue before the game is finished. X: Rebirth is a perfect example of this. Early Access is basically the same as releasing an unfinished game, only the game is clearly labeled as unfinished and there's a much greater chance of the game actually being finished because the developers are getting paid during development.

$625k (before taxes and other expenses) is pocket change for a videogame. Any developer, indie or otherwise, can make a better game when they have more money. Could Stainless have completed Carmageddon with only their Kickstarter funding? Probably, but it would have definitely been a lesser game. More money = better game and as a gamer, that's all I care about.

37. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 31, 2014, 00:23 .Drifter

RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 22:34:
.net_Drifter wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 22:08:
RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 16:37:
Yes but they already had a over-successful Kickstarter. They are simply milking it with Early Access now.

Had they instead called it done, and released as is, then put out day one, two, three, four, etc patches, would that have been better?
I mean, it then would have been "finished" and patched as ongoing support as opposed to "early access" with regular updates until release.

No. I'd like to see them release the game when it's truly finished using the $625K from Kickstarter, and leave Early Access to the ones who really need it.

I think everyone is clear on my view if interested. Enjoy your discussion.

My take on it, and I might be wrong, is that most people buying it as early access would likely buy it at release anyway. At least that's how I am, as are most of my friends who go for early access.
That being the case, all early access becomes as I look at it is a means for a company to get the money sooner as opposed to later, and in the end since they're getting the money either way, the early or later becomes less relevant.

36. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 31, 2014, 00:12 Gas Bandit

I was a kickstarter backer, and have been playing the early access for it a bit (and no, they didn't charge me twice, I got it, and the android version of the original carmageddon for backing), and while it has excellent potential and I like some of the little touches I see so far, it's VERY alpha and has a lot of work left to be done.

VERY alpha. Like, not optimized at all, still kinda ugly, still kinda clunky, but has the potential to be every bit as good as its predecessors, maybe even better. I'm liking some of the new powerups too.

35. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 30, 2014, 22:56 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

34. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 30, 2014, 22:34 RaZ0r!

.net_Drifter wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 22:08:
Yes but they already had a over-successful Kickstarter. They are simply milking it with Early Access now.

Had they instead called it done, and released as is, then put out day one, two, three, four, etc patches, would that have been better?
I mean, it then would have been "finished" and patched as ongoing support as opposed to "early access" with regular updates until release.

No. I'd like to see them release the game when it's truly finished using the $625K from Kickstarter, and leave Early Access to the ones who really need it.

I think everyone is clear on my view if interested. Enjoy your discussion.

33. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 30, 2014, 22:08 .Drifter

32. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 30, 2014, 21:41 Hump

Get yourself a gamepad for this one folks  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

31. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 30, 2014, 21:11 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 18:21:
Gipson wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 18:02:
Next car game looks way better than this

We had this conversation already. As I said on this thread:

Next Car doesn't have to render a couple of hundred completely deformable pedestrians on the screen at the same time as all the cars and other scenery. Also, Carma levels aren't tracks, they're fully realized sections of landscape, which requires a heavier engine to render. It's expected they're trading graphic fidelity for increased functionality.

I don't expect the visuals in Carma to be GREAT - they weren't int he last game, and I don't think that is the direction the game would ever take....

In it's current form (and even the first early access for KS) the game is very good. All of the elements of the originals are there. Money well spent as it only gets better from here!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

30. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 30, 2014, 21:00 xXBatmanXx

If this was like DayZ early access, we wouldn't even have cars to drive!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

29. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 30, 2014, 20:55 Beamer

RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 19:04:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 18:52:
Okay..? If Early Access helps make the game better, what exactly is the problem? Would you rather they avoid Early Access and release an inferior game?

Well in my case, the issue is they ran a Kickstarter plus Early Access. To me that's double-dipping. They not only did they meet their Kickstarter goal, they exceeded it. So why do they need Early Access now? It doesn't say anywhere on Steam that Early Access will make the game even better then was planned with their Kickstarter funds.

I'd rather see a real indie dev that really need the funds and marketing that Early Access provides in their place.

It's double-dipping if they charge the same people. Again.
They are not. They are giving people who were unaware of the kickstarter the opportunity a chance to get in on early access.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. removed Mar 30, 2014, 20:54 Beamer

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 31, 2014, 07:24.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 30, 2014, 20:24 Mad Max RW

Been playing this a few weeks earlier than everyone else and Stainless has doubled the content in the pre-alpha since going public. The foundation for a great Carmageddon is there. It's already fun and a worthy followup to their predecessors. All they need to do is polish, continue adding content (maps, cars, multiplayer, etc.) and optimize the hell out of it. Unless you have a beast of a machine you will not be able to run the pre-alpha at a playable framerate. Another year of a development is perfectly reasonable. Modding is already possible and the official tools are confirmed as part of the final package.

At this stage they have a much more solid and fun game than InXile's Wasteland 2 when they started open beta testing. If you are involved with that you'd realize how far they came in a few months time.

26. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 30, 2014, 20:21 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 19:58:
Shadow of the Eternals? Really?

Have I missed something? The gameplay video they posted back during the KS looked pretty cool.... although I have no idea what is up with that project now.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo