Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Space Free on Origin

EA's Origin service is now offering the original Dead Space as a free download with no strings attached beyond requiring an Origin registration. They explain on a new page devoted to a new "On The House" promotion:

Free?! What's the catch?
There's no catch. Grab full games, expansions and more at absolutely no cost. Just make sure to act fast because On the House specials can appear and disappear at any time.

You mean a trial or demo, right?
Nope. You’re getting a full version of the real game — for free!

How long will I own the game?
Once you’ve claimed your game, it’s yours to keep!

Why is Origin doing this?
We're gamers, too. We appreciate you making Origin your gaming home ... and besides, who doesn't like free stuff?

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 30, 2014, 09:20 dj LiTh

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 02:27:
dj LiTh wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 15:06:
Zanderat1 wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 10:59:
dj LiTh wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 07:00:
Free?! What's the catch?

You just have to install Origin!

Sorry, too risky a venture.
I don't get this. How is Origin any different from STEAM?

In my case, most of my games are already on steam and i dont want to deal with the fragmentation, also although valve isnt a top of my list, it certainly is a buttload higher then EA. Thats pretty much it.
Don't want to deal with fragmentation? So you don't have Uplay either?

The best part of having multiple game folders and clients is that you often discover games you bought but forgot about, it's like Xmas every month lol

Or the realisation that you *may* have a games on special buying problem... nah

UPlay gets installed/uninstalled on a as needed basis. Steam is pretty much always installed. Other then that GoG has my back

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 29, 2014, 02:27 netnerd85

dj LiTh wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 15:06:
Free?! What's the catch?

In my case, most of my games are already on steam and i dont want to deal with the fragmentation, also although valve isnt a top of my list, it certainly is a buttload higher then EA. Thats pretty much it.
Don't want to deal with fragmentation? So you don't have Uplay either?

The best part of having multiple game folders and clients is that you often discover games you bought but forgot about, it's like Xmas every month lol

Or the realisation that you *may* have a games on special buying problem... nah

48. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 15:06 dj LiTh

Free?! What's the catch?

47. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 13:48 Zanderat1

Jivaro wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 11:27:

Well, I think it's less Origin specifically that is the problem and more EA. People either don't like or don't trust EA and thus don't like or don't trust Origin.

Saying Origin is just like Steam isn't really addressing the underlying concern. I personally don't give a rat's ass about using Origin. In fact I find that my Origin ID makes playing across platforms with EA products quite painless. I just recognize what other folks see as the problem...which is EA itself. That is pretty understandable all things considered.
EA does suck. But a free game is a free game.....

46. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 11:27 Jivaro

Well, I think it's less Origin specifically that is the problem and more EA. People either don't like or don't trust EA and thus don't like or don't trust Origin.

Saying Origin is just like Steam isn't really addressing the underlying concern. I personally don't give a rat's ass about using Origin. In fact I find that my Origin ID makes playing across platforms with EA products quite painless. I just recognize what other folks see as the problem...which is EA itself. That is pretty understandable all things considered.

45. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 10:59 Zanderat1

Free?! What's the catch?

44. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 10:51 Bard

Installing Origin is the catch.

43. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 10:18 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 08:35:
I already own this on Steam but I guess its good for people who don't. Fantastic game.

I actually activated it on Origin despite having it on Steam. EA and Valve have a messed up relationship history. Games suddenly appear, disappear, have incompatible DLC...blah blah. Yes, most of those issues work themselves out eventually rather than being permanent, but putting it on Origin makes it so I don't really have to be concerned with it. I think I would probably do the same thing with any EA game provided it didn't have a strong Workshop presence that I wanted to use.

That being said, I am not a person who cares about whether a game is on Steam, Origin, Uplay, Desura, Arc, etc etc etc. I have em all and I use them all. I also use things like Raptr and Xfire. Just depends on the game. It is the very thing I appreciate about having a PC, choice and options. I love Steam, but competition is good for the customer base in any industry.

42. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 09:47 xXBatmanXx

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 07:56:
Prez wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 06:41:
Killswitch wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 06:33:
You'll want to use Widescreen Fixer for this game because the FOV is horrible.

www.widescreenfixer.org

People say that the devs made it that way on purpose to make it more "scary" since with a constricted view you can't see as much around you, but for me it was nausea inducing.

And those people are called idiots. Didn't they add an FOV slider in the sequel?

Until there was a hack to force a wider FOV that matches my monitor I was unable to play more than 15 minutes of the first game. It was like running around while looking through the wrong side of a binoculars.

Oh, you mean like ALL GAMES ON CONSOLE!?

So frustrating to play a game on a 60 inch tv that looks like you are zoomed in to a 19 inch tv.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

41. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 08:39 Mordecai Walfish

www.widescreenfixer.org

This seems like a very useful program.. thanks for sharing!

40. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 08:35 Verno

I already own this on Steam but I guess its good for people who don't. Fantastic game.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

39. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 07:56 Mad Max RW

Prez wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 06:41:

www.widescreenfixer.org

People say that the devs made it that way on purpose to make it more "scary" since with a constricted view you can't see as much around you, but for me it was nausea inducing.

And those people are called idiots. Didn't they add an FOV slider in the sequel?

Until there was a hack to force a wider FOV that matches my monitor I was unable to play more than 15 minutes of the first game. It was like running around while looking through the wrong side of a binoculars.

38. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 07:00 dj LiTh

Free?! What's the catch?

37. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 06:41 Prez

www.widescreenfixer.org

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 06:41 Prez

deleted  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 06:33 Killswitch

www.widescreenfixer.org

34. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 03:28 Grumpy Sod

Their call center here in the UK is one of the few places I'll actually go 'oh okay, sure' about contacting. They're actually locally staffed, which is a MASSIVE thing when trying to explain a problem to someone, plus I've never had to do that whole *deep breath and try to explain in laymans terms* thing I always have to do with indian call centers.

They're polite, well spoken, they get the problem, they fix it. I've had new cd keys, account merges, all manner of fixes done, and never had a headache with them. It was a total shock to find out that EA of all people had a support system done right.

Doesn't stop my hate for the douche things they pull on a global scale, but I have had no problems at all with Origin or the 'ground level' of EA.

33. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 02:15 entr0py

"On the House", "Check back soon for something new". Okay, that will be rad if they keep it up. Seems like a good way to get their store on more PCs, which is the real price. So long as origin isn't obtrusive, I'll take your free games.  

32. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 01:05 Fantaz

does anyone remember around mid-Oct 2012 when Origin store had a coupon error and gave away free games? i still have a whole lot of Origin games from that, including Dead Space 1 and 2. this news story gives me flashbacks. still haven't got around to beating them.  

31. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 27, 2014, 23:39 bigspender

Jerykk wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 23:28:
ItBurn wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 23:04:
Dead Space is probably the worst PC port I've ever played. It's basically unplayable, looks like crap and is just a consolized mess. I gave up after an hour. And I LOVE horror games.

You haven't played a lot of PC ports. Saints Row 2 and Resident Evil 4 (the original port) were way, way, way worse than Dead Space. I'm talking about missing lighting, zero mouse support, horribly broken performance, etc. Dead Space's only significant issue was related to V-Sync and was easily fixable.

i think there are two different mouse aim options - and one of them sux. (maybe im thinking of the 3rd game though)

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo