Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details

A new Early Access and Launch FAQ outlines the process of opening The Elder Scrolls Online to the public, beginning with a five-day early access period that kicks off at 7:00 am EDT on Sunday, followed by three-days of early access beginning on April 1st, and the game's launch for all on April 3rd at 7:00 pm EDT, though they warn these times are subject to change. Bethesda also details how to gain access by pre-ordering the MMORPG, warns beta users that there will be wipe before things go live, and explains the workings of various other elements like preorder bonuses, server choices, subscription plans, payment options, upgrade options, and more.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 28, 2014, 00:09 Acleacius

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 23:33:
Acleacius wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 23:15:
In case no one is checking the sales thread, I've got a friend, who is interested at the sale price.

Does buying from GMG prevent from playing on US servers?

Thanks

No. You get the NA version. At least I did....in NA. Not sure if they do region sales, you would have to check with them. Also, I think you can SELECT your region....lemmie check.

/edit: HA! Perfect. I just updated the client, it says on a splash screen during update:
Early Access starts soon, so patch now to get ready! Don't forget to check your launcher settings and ensure you've selected the megaserver where you plan to play (North American or European).

Thanks Batman! Damn it, now he's convinced me, since it's on sale.
I might be sending you and wtf_man a tell or two.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 27, 2014, 23:33 xXBatmanXx

Acleacius wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 23:15:
In case no one is checking the sales thread, I've got a friend, who is interested at the sale price.

Thanks

No. You get the NA version. At least I did....in NA. Not sure if they do region sales, you would have to check with them. Also, I think you can SELECT your region....lemmie check.

/edit: HA! Perfect. I just updated the client, it says on a splash screen during update:
Early Access starts soon, so patch now to get ready! Don't forget to check your launcher settings and ensure you've selected the megaserver where you plan to play (North American or European).

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

56. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 27, 2014, 23:15 Acleacius

Thanks

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

55. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 27, 2014, 09:52 xXBatmanXx

Deepjay wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 06:57:
Most people who are frothing over how good this is, buy ALL new MMO's and usually move on from them several weeks later. This is no difference.

I didn't think the game was terrible, but it certainly wasn't different from at least 5 other titles that have come and gone with similar fanfare.

I don't think anyone here is frothing....I don't buy ANY MMOs, as I don't believe in their pricing structure. The last one I bought was City of Heroes and played for 3 months. Never went back. That being said, I am a fan of the lore of ESO, and therefore bought it. Even if I get bored after 3 months, it is something I will probably come back to down the road.

I did most of the BETA content solo but also played a number of hours with friends. I am the slow kid. I like to immerse myself in the game and world. Playing games for me is entertainment. I am not a hurry level get to the end. I enjoy looking around, talking to all of the NPCs, reading the books, crafting stuff sometimes, doing stuff that puts you in the moment. I STILL haven't finished Skyrim, and have 3 characters. I just get distracted and go off and do side stuff that is interesting to me.

Anyway. Hope some people jump on this. That video was pretty good. As much of a "hay buy this" as it does "hay watch out for this" wait and see approach. Some very good points and things to think about in the video.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

54. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 27, 2014, 09:47 xXBatmanXx

wtf_man wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 21:47:
20 Reasons I will play Elder Scrolls Online

I pretty much agree with most of it.

Thanks for posting, finally got a chance to watch it.

53. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 27, 2014, 06:57 Deepjay

Most people who are frothing over how good this is, buy ALL new MMO's and usually move on from them several weeks later. This is no difference.

I didn't think the game was terrible, but it certainly wasn't different from at least 5 other titles that have come and gone with similar fanfare.

52. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 27, 2014, 04:53 InBlack

Cutter said it best. ESO deserves better than typical MMO fare.  

I have a nifty blue line!

51. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 27, 2014, 03:46 Osc8r

wtf_man wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 20:18:
Osc8r wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 17:52:
One of the most boring, uninspired MMO's i've ever played... and that's saying something!

Huh. That's the way I felt about WoW and several others that followed.

I guess you either love it or hate it.

/shrug

Well, tbh i felt the same way about WOW as well... but i lasted 3 months in WOW before i got bored and gave up.

In contrast i lasted about 3 days in ESO before i felt the same way. It feels just like yet another generic WOW clone, just in a ESO skin... and the combat, oh boy! PS don't play a ranger.

Hell, i even managed to play neverwinter longer than ESO!

yawn / 10

50. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 21:47 wtf_man

20 Reasons I will play Elder Scrolls Online

I pretty much agree with most of it.

49. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 20:58 Rossini

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 16:30:
I find their Tamriel to be rather watered down and bland. The sheer volume of bugs at this stage is unforgivable. Over half of the quests I did couldn't be completed. On the orc island I think there were only 3 or 4 I could complete and therefore had no way off the island. This at 2 weeks before launch? Cereal?

Classes. TES are class free games. If they're going to do classes then they should have done all the classics instead of 4 crappy hybrids.

Console game. It's a console game with a console UI. I hate that shit so much! It's like DCUO. You feel completely crippled and limited playing games like this on the PC when you compare them to things like CoX or most any other PC MMO with a few hotbars worth of stuff at your disposal. Then they take the absolute worst aspects of Skyrim - the console UI for inventory, quests, etc and use that!!! Wtf?

Crafting is shite and far too hard to grind basic stuff. Christ, you can even craft multiple items! You have to sit there and click create item over and over.

100s of other people all doing the same boring quests as you - the chosen one - make it considerably less special.

I could go on and on pulling this game apart but it's not worth my time. They not only fail to leave the worst of TES behind and improve it, they fail to advance the MMO genre and actually move backward in many cases. They made just about every wrong decision possible in creating this game.

Bethsoft are fools for wasting money on this and instead should have worked on doing limited MP/Co-Op for the next TES title instead. This is just 100 mil - or whatever it is - down the drain.

I'd like to address a few of the items Cutter has brought up...

Bugs:
There are/were a lot of quest stopping bugs. In my testing they all seemed to be related to the spawning of quest items or NPC's in conjunction with a lot of players being in the area. I found I could complete these quests if I came back at an off hour. ZeniMax claims in some patch notes from last week they found and fixed three issues that caused these problems. It certainly bugs me that it took them a week or two before launch to fix them when I know for a fact I and others first reported them in a stress test last November. Reports they were fixed during last weeks mini Overflow test doesn't reassure me much as they didn't publicize the test and probably didn't get really stressed.

In the last beta there is/was a UI bug where you'd have to hit . (period) sometimes to get the interface back to battle mode. Also, a couple of times I got stuck in walls or under the earth.

Classes:
I would have preferred it if you could have picked up the various class lines from the Mages and Fighters guilds but the starting class isn't really that big of a deal as each has three skill trees but your character will have another dozen or more skill trees (not including crafting) to play with. Besides picking a class doesn't limit you to any of the classic roles. Want to be Sorcerer Sword and Board tank? No problem. Templar Archer? You can do that too. And be effective.

UI:
Actually the inventory UI is not from Skyrim itself, but the SkyUI mod. Personally I'd prefer the traditional slots and bags method so I can organize my stuff the way I like it. ZeniMax is promising a further breakout of crafting materials but I don't know if it will be in launch.

As for a screenfull of hotbars, I'm actually liking the deck building aspects of what abilities to put into the five regular and one ultimate hotkey slots. (You get an additional five and one hotkeys when you get weapon swap at level 15).

I'm also very much looking forward to seeing the world on my screen instead of playing a mess of UI elements including addons.

Crafting:
I didn't really feel crafting was all that grindy. Sure you couldn't have the mats to make 100 iron daggers, click once and go make a sandwich. But you couldn't do that in Skyrim either. I like the various aspects like deconstruction and research can be enhanced via skill lines. The ability to upgrade the quality (green to blue, blue to purple, etc) of any weapon or piece of gear is cool. As are styles (wicked looking Redguard daggers) and research-able traits.

Questing and the Chosen One
We all have quest styles we like and dislike. A majority of the quests certainly use the familiar tropes. I did particularly enjoy one that had me running a timed obstacle course. There are others with pretty good stories behind them and/or interesting things to do.

I 'could go on and on' about other issues with the game too. But one in particular is the mind-boggling tools they've provided for the player to player economy. I'd like to be smoking whatever they were when they came up with them. Long story short, they are dead set against a global or alliance wide Auction House. The guild-store scheme they envision will be a dead fish and I foresee that trade will wind up being much like the old Everquest tunnel in East Commonlands. Basically a /zone chat filled with WTS, WTB spam in the starting cities of each Alliance.

But...despite all those flaws, I had a lot of fun exploring and pvping during beta. I'll be there at 4AM Pacific Sunday morning.

48. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 20:50 Redmask

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 20:20:
Redmask wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 20:01:
"Subscription" - People need to remember that this is a multi-platform MMO. Nothing of this scale has even really been tried before

Actually it has, Final Fantasy 11 and Final Fantasy 14 are both multiplatform MMORPGs.

Not to mention Phantasy Star Online...that's why I said "of this scale" (FFXI had around 500k players on average IIRC, ESO is shooting for 10 times that)

I don't see what the scale has to do with the points of contention being raised here. Most are unrelated to stability or player population.

47. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 20:25 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 19:37:
If they haven't played an MMO even in the era of free-to-play, what makes you think they are going to start with a box cost + monthly fee + item store MMO?

You're mixing and matching arguments. My response about the type of player relating to the type of game is separate from the subscription issue. For the former, it's simply a matter of the player base being largely console-based and largely fans of the single-player series. I actually agree about the subscription...I argued for a hybrid pricing model (check my Blue's post history on ESO). If you want to combine the arguments, then it's obvious the MMO veterans will have little impact on the game's success, which is all that I was arguing. I also stated my personal preference for a game that didn't swing towards that play-style since there are superior alternatives already in the market.

As far as how I feel about the success rate goes, I used the term "coin flip" earlier in this thread.

46. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 20:20 NewMaxx

Redmask wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 20:01:
"Subscription" - People need to remember that this is a multi-platform MMO. Nothing of this scale has even really been tried before

Actually it has, Final Fantasy 11 and Final Fantasy 14 are both multiplatform MMORPGs.

Not to mention Phantasy Star Online...that's why I said "of this scale" (FFXI had around 500k players on average IIRC, ESO is shooting for 10 times that)

45. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 20:18 wtf_man

Osc8r wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 17:52:
One of the most boring, uninspired MMO's i've ever played... and that's saying something!

Huh. That's the way I felt about WoW and several others that followed.

I guess you either love it or hate it.

/shrug

44. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 20:01 Redmask

43. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 19:37 NKD

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 19:14:
ESO players DO NOT want that "MMO player" crowd you define as being the majority, being the vocal minority (since they are a minority). If they want that style of play and a new MMO, they have Wildstar.

Firstly, I never said any particular crowd was the majority. In fact, ESO's problem is that they alienate multiple crowds with various decisions, and don't seem to have much of a focus on who they ARE trying to attract. They are all over the place with their decisions.

For example, the decision to both have the commitment of a monthly fee, and then tailor your game to appeal only to the weekend gamer is a bizarre one. The last bastion of players who want monthly fees are, by and large, the same ones looking to play Wildstar. Ones who want as minimal a virtual item shop as possible, preferably none, and obviously no pay-to-win as they are competitive players. But then they make the game unappealing to those same people.

Second, your argument that "ESO players do not want X or Y" isn't particularly convincing. What "ESO players" want doesn't matter if that group of ESO players isn't enough to sustain a healthy subscription MMO. By definition, the players of a game are always going to be generally content with the game, or they wouldn't be players. If ex-players and potential future players cease to matter, then you're doomed to a constant dwindling player base.

When your MMO is new and unproven, you should be more worried about attracting potential players and carefully choosing the niche you're going after. Developing in an echo chamber of yes-men who don't actually know anything about game design is very bad.

Skyrim players want something more true to the roots of TES. TOR at least had a decent KOTOR experience. ESO doesn't nail it's single-player experience nearly as much as TOR did, which makes it potentially even worse off.

If they really wanted a success, they should have chosen a direction instead of floundering in the middle.

*edit*
For clarification on this, I just want to point out that the majority of ESO players will be new to MMOs, so trying to suggest a lack of attraction to traditional MMO players is a death-knell is a bit presumptuous.

That's not even what I was saying. A lack of attraction to ANY particular crowd is the death-knell, if there is one. It doesn't have to be traditional MMO players. As to most players being new to MMOs, I don't see it. The subscription fee alone is going to be a huge deterrent. If they haven't played an MMO even in the era of free-to-play, what makes you think they are going to start with a box cost + monthly fee + item store MMO?

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2014, 19:43.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

42. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 19:19 NewMaxx

Bard wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 19:06:
and not looking to pay additional monthly fees to play something inferior.

The monthly sub is a hard sell, I agree. I do intend to give them a month to see how they handle the game after release and work from there. I paid $60 for a digital Imperial edition...that's nothing if I get a month's worth of content out of it, and I know I will (50+ and 50++ will keep me busy). I paid $90 in all for GW2 and got 3 months out of it and was very satisfied, and three months of this would be $90...so I have no problem with that. Long-term subbing is a different story.

Then again, it's pretty common for people in WoW to up-and-down sub based on new content...I don't see a problem with that.

41. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 19:14 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 19:06:
Elder Scrolls is following in TOR's footsteps

Contrast this with Wildstar's approach of minimal hype and targeted appeal to disenfranchised WoW raiders and people longing for vanilla WoW.

I don't see anyone who considers themselves an MMO player enjoying ESO in the long run.

Look how Bioware handled Mass Effect 3's ending with regard to player opinion. That is how they handled TOR, and why it failed. ESO is not even launched yet and the community has ramped up the conversation to a very significant level. This, to me, is a critical difference, despite similar design decisions.

Wildstar, as I said in my post below, is focused on a particular part of the MMO crowd. A part, I might add, that already has tons of options and I really don't want driving ESO. ZOE has already made it clear in multiple statements that it won't design the game for that crowd and explained that the API changes reflect that decision. That IS A GOOD THING. ESO players DO NOT want that "MMO player" crowd you define as being the majority, being the vocal minority (since they are a minority). If they want that style of play and a new MMO, they have Wildstar.

*edit*
For clarification on this, I just want to point out that the majority of ESO players will be new to MMOs, so trying to suggest a lack of attraction to traditional MMO players is a death-knell is a bit presumptuous.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2014, 19:24.

40. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 19:06 Bard

Was too far away from Elder Scrolls for my liking. It lost everything that made Skyrim awesome.

I would have been satisfied with simple cooperative multiplayer - but this isn't it - and not looking to pay additional monthly fees to play something inferior.

39. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 19:06 NKD

Elder Scrolls is following in TOR's footsteps in that they are so busy obfuscating the fact that their game is a run of the mill MMO at it's core, that they failed to at least make it the best damn run of the mill MMO they could

It's why traditional MMO players and Skyrim fans alike are skewering this game. They tried for a middle ground and instead of pleasing everybody, pleased almost nobody. TOR did the same thing and while it's been financially profitable, it wasn't a studio-making success by any means. ESO will get some buy in, but like TOR it won't have any longevity as a blockbuster.

Contrast this with Wildstar's approach of minimal hype and targeted appeal to disenfranchised WoW raiders and people longing for vanilla WoW.

I don't see anyone who considers themselves an MMO player enjoying ESO in the long run. It'll mostly catch on with the "I play an MMO maybe 6-8 hours a week, by myself, and so I never play enough to see the problems everyone else does." crowd. Possibly also some buy-in from the more hardcore Elder Scrolls people who are interested in the setting more than the gameplay and mods and sandbox feel of TES. Similar to how TOR has a lot of Star Wars fans still playing because it's their only option.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo