Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

As I mentioned yesterday, the wintery weather should return next week in spite of spring having sprung, but this weekend looks to be pretty mild around here, so I plan on taking the wraps off of Manstovia and doing some grilling. I don't have a specific plan, but I'll work out something, as I think a little charred meat will restore a little optimism that the seasons are actually changing.

R.I.P.: IDG Founder Patrick J. McGovern dies at 76.

Charred Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Tinysasters 2.
Ants Warriors.
Telepoultry.
Link: Experimental 60s music sounds like a 80s video arcade.
Story: 'Game of Thrones' Movies Eyed by George R.R. Martin. Thanks io9.
Science: New drug makes brain cancer cells explode. Thanks nin.
Dust in the wind helped bring down CO2 in the past.
Shift workers: Sleep loss may cause brain damage, new research says. Thanks Slashdot.
Night Vision Contacts Possible Thanks to Infrared Technology.
Media: BuzzFeed Is Running Out Of Lists.
How to Speak Dothraki (90's Muzzy Parody).
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2014, 16:24 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 02:38:
Yes! Been open for 1 day at my new location and already received threatening e-mails from a competitor, and they are flagging all my Craigslist posts. I love people!

I don't get it. Could you explain more? What kind of business is it, and why would they do that?

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2014, 02:38 Agent.X7

Yes! Been open for 1 day at my new location and already received threatening e-mails from a competitor, and they are flagging all my Craigslist posts. I love people!  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2014, 19:56 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 18:12:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 16:24:

Since we've shown little ability to control our fossil fuel usage, we're going to have to geo-engineer our way out of global warming. This sounds like a promising tool in that regard, and may also help reverse the devastating overfishing of the world's oceans by providing a greater plankton food supply.

it's not often i have my eyes opened, but, now that you've said it, i think sadly you're absolutely right that fossil fuels will never be cut back while there's demand for it. certainly it won't be legislated away until it's long since been replaced by something else, and all this green stuff we're doing now will only be a drop in the bucket of usage. the solution will probably be that we'll have to counter-engineer against it. i'm just not sure it's a winnable battle before it's too late.

We've been making good progress with solar and wind. I'm impressed with the ramp-up and the reduction of cost. Could more have been done? Much more for sure, but solar and wind have evolved to the point where they could on a cost-basis replace a sizable portion of fossil fuel power, especially coal, which is by far the worst offender. Unfortunately, India and China continue to pump out coal plants despite the danger.

This is the best option I've heard about for possibly mitigating the warming. Side effects could
be bad , but not as bad as GW. There's already some precedent for this theory, as the SO2 from coal and diesel burning has been already mitigating the heating effect a bit (although the black particulate matter from coal and diesel has been accelerating glacial melting). Putting it much higher will allow it to act for much longer (SO2 in the lower atmo precipitates as acid rain).

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2014, 18:12 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 16:24:

Since we've shown little ability to control our fossil fuel usage, we're going to have to geo-engineer our way out of global warming. This sounds like a promising tool in that regard, and may also help reverse the devastating overfishing of the world's oceans by providing a greater plankton food supply.

it's not often i have my eyes opened, but, now that you've said it, i think sadly you're absolutely right that fossil fuels will never be cut back while there's demand for it. certainly it won't be legislated away until it's long since been replaced by something else, and all this green stuff we're doing now will only be a drop in the bucket of usage. the solution will probably be that we'll have to counter-engineer against it. i'm just not sure it's a winnable battle before it's too late.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2014, 17:48 xXBatmanXx

Hoop wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 15:16:
nin wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 09:25:
That's stuck in my head for the rest of the day... :|

Needs more cow bell

Took the boy to the old man's place this week, he had found one of those drum sets for toddlers....my boy instantly started hitting the cow bell sound at a perfect rythym.....old man just looked at me weird when I lost it....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2014, 16:24 jdreyer

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2014, 15:16 Hoop

nin wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 09:25:
That's stuck in my head for the rest of the day... :|

Needs more cow bell

Um .. Behind you...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2014, 12:41 Verno

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 11:53:
Fucking George R.R. Martin... finish the BOOKS before you contemplate raking in movie level cash, please.

Sorry he's too busy blogging about pizza/football and attending cons. Don't you understand the plight of the artist?! Martin is the laziest author.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2014, 12:15 Cutter

Heh, one time that was on at work and my buddy looks over at me and says, 'Wait a minute, are you singing 'Cuts in the Wind'?'

And that Dothraki thing is funny. It is known.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2014, 11:53 MoreLuckThanSkill

Fucking George R.R. Martin... finish the BOOKS before you contemplate raking in movie level cash, please.

The last thing fantasy readers need is another Robert Jordan dying before he even finishes writing the main series.

Although Song of Ice and Fire has really been going downhill in quality, it'd be nice to get an ending.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2014, 09:56 CrimsonPaw

So we're going to keep hearing that Kansas song play until CO2 levels drop ... this will be interesting  
~~Crim~~

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2014, 09:25 nin

Thanks! That's stuck in my head for the rest of the day...

edit: "YOU'RE MY BOY, BLUE!"

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2014, 09:31.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo