Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack

NCSOFT announces details on The Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack, an update the plan to release on April 15th for the MMORPG sequel, calling this the "first-ever release focused entirely on new and enhanced features." They offer an information portal where they will trickle out details over the next couple of weeks, hoping to prevent giving anyone a dangerous case of the bends that can be caused by too many patch details at once. So far they offer the patch announcement along with an article discussing overhauling the trait system and the more that 40 new traits the patch will introduce.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 22, 2014, 00:41 Fion

Living Content isn't that grindy if you don't give a crap about the meta-achievement. Forget about that achievement and you'll find just enjoying the content is a lot more fun.

One of the biggest technical changes that is need, as some have spoken to below, is the utter uselessness of anything but pure DPS on bosses. CC doesn't work at all and condi has severe diminishing returns. So any difficult content consists of a group of 5 DPS, perhaps a Support player in some instances.

Fix that, and things will be golden.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 21, 2014, 18:44 Creston

Endo wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 15:41:
That lasted about a month, before I got fed up with the grind for ascended gear again

I don't understand why people are so focused on Ascended gear. The only place you actively NEED it is high level FotM. Which few people play anymore because they give shit-all in rewards.

In the rest of the game, Exotic is more than plenty powerful enough. (In fact, the difference between Exotic and Ascended armor is so minute it basically makes little to no difference in the large majority of fights you're in. )

Ascended weapons are a little better over Exotic than the armor is, but there are plenty of ways to actually get Ascended weapons. Sure, the drop rate is tiny, but it does drop. And you can get ascended rings and trinkets just about everywhere now. You can buy them with Laurels, with guild comms, with Honor badges, with Relics...

If you don't want to grind for Ascended stuff, then don't do it. My main only has ascended trinkets, and he runs through everything just fine. (The stuff that kills me would kill me in Ascended gear too.)

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 21, 2014, 18:39 Creston

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 04:02:
This game needs to be more casual. Not only are the people always getting a heart attack, if someone isnt exactly doing what they need to do, simply because they havent run the instance 5000 times yet, but they also have become extremely unfriendly since release, they dont even thank you anymore if you save their life. Sometimes worse than WoW players. They are really judging players by achievements points. If you dont have 5k+ points, youre a noob to them and they treat you like dirt. Maybe its different on the US servers, but on the EU servers this is normal. I have literally become sick of people and their disgusting elitism in this game.

Switch servers. None of that bullshit happens on Tarnished Coast. People thank you for ressing them. In fact, during the Scarlet Hologram battle, we'd often say at the start "Thanks to all for ressing everyone in the next 20 minutes!" just so people wouldn't waste time typing "ty" every 10 seconds.

I've run into several battles where some poor guy is getting slaughtered by two veterans, and he thanks me for saving his ass. So the population is definitely better on TC.

The only thing that reigns supreme on TC as well as everywhere else is people who want to do speedruns and bitch when someone doesn't have the right equipment or knows what to do. But then again, on the flipside, they DO say they're going to do a speedrun, so why are you joining them without being able to actually contribute to the speed run?

Seriously, switch servers. Playing on Tarnished Coast is awesome.

10. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 21, 2014, 15:41 Endo

Keilun wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 00:32:
Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 21:22:
Oh well, we'll see what happens. I wish Anet had guys as good at developing systems as they have guys who are good at developing content.

Completely agreed. My gf and I have stopped playing GW2 lately because of the poor systems. For me, I have the biggest beef with their living world, skill system, ascended gear and skins.

Living world has been pretty much a grind fest of achievements. It's okay the first time (if you manage a bug free experience, QA?), but after that, they want you to grind the same events at least 5 times over to receive your participation award. Most events ultimately wind up being the same zerg fest you see with the rest of the game, it's pretty uninspiring. I'll admit that the closest they've come to something entertaining was the clockwork puppet boss event in Lornar's Pass.

I've never been a fan of the same restrictive 5 skills per weapon. I'd like a bit more customization than having an offhand weapon set to swap to to open up new weapon skills. Some weapons are plain garbage which exacerbates the problem. Their proposed solution in dev right now? Open up class restriction on weapons... Not exactly the right solution...

Ascended gear has a huge problem too. With gear is so directly tied with your build and the sheer amount of grinding you need to do to get a full set of ascended, by the time you're able to purchase the gear you're left wondering "but what if I want to try this other build"? They have the solution sitting right in front of them (allow them to change stats on the fly), but they're intent on making that a Legendary only capability. They've already said that Legendaries should be purely cosmetic, but apparently that's thrown out of the window.

Lastly, skins. Jebus. I haven't bought a single skin because of this, but I have collected so many from events and such and I still haven't used a single one. Why? Because it's one-time use. If you want to apply it to another item, you have to use GEMS to remove the skin and apply it to another item. Skins should just simply unlock account wide. There's a reason skins aren't selling like hotcakes and I suspect that this is one of them.

The game could be so good it makes me so angry. Grrr. Here's to hoping Wildstar is what we've been looking for.

/endrant.

WTF, did you read my mind?

Coming from GW1, I have been quite disappointed with the skill system from the start, particularly the skills being tied to weapons. And then ascended gear really put the nail in the coffin for me. A few months ago I found the web interview again where they specifically stated the gear system was intended so players would have best stats possible by level 80. Yeah, right.

I gave it another go, trying to get back into the game a couple months ago. That lasted about a month, before I got fed up with the grind for ascended gear again and the fact that all combat encounters have devolved to nothing but DPS spam-fests.

It all makes me sad because we know how great this game could have been if they'd just included more of what made GW1 great.

9. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 21, 2014, 14:42 Verno

Keilun wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 00:32:
Oh well, we'll see what happens. I wish Anet had guys as good at developing systems as they have guys who are good at developing content.

Completely agreed. My gf and I have stopped playing GW2 lately because of the poor systems. For me, I have the biggest beef with their living world, skill system, ascended gear and skins.

Living world has been pretty much a grind fest of achievements. It's okay the first time (if you manage a bug free experience, QA?), but after that, they want you to grind the same events at least 5 times over to receive your participation award. Most events ultimately wind up being the same zerg fest you see with the rest of the game, it's pretty uninspiring. I'll admit that the closest they've come to something entertaining was the clockwork puppet boss event in Lornar's Pass.

I've never been a fan of the same restrictive 5 skills per weapon. I'd like a bit more customization than having an offhand weapon set to swap to to open up new weapon skills. Some weapons are plain garbage which exacerbates the problem. Their proposed solution in dev right now? Open up class restriction on weapons... Not exactly the right solution...

Yeah I was a big fan of the skill system at first but its worn on me, particularly when so many weapons are poorly balanced. It's weird how they're so great at producing rapid content updates but for balance related stuff their pace is glacial.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 21, 2014, 13:04 Axis

While I dislike GW2, I let my son play and he loves it.

Good kid game, easy to tone down and a nice intro to proper MMO's -- a step up from minecraft/cubeworld.

Yours truly,

Axis

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 21, 2014, 04:02 Muscular Beaver

This game needs to be more casual. Not only are the people always getting a heart attack, if someone isnt exactly doing what they need to do, simply because they havent run the instance 5000 times yet, but they also have become extremely unfriendly since release, they dont even thank you anymore if you save their life. Sometimes worse than WoW players. They are really judging players by achievements points. If you dont have 5k+ points, youre a noob to them and they treat you like dirt. Maybe its different on the US servers, but on the EU servers this is normal. I have literally become sick of people and their disgusting elitism in this game.

Its taking several months for people to get a few ascended items is also very frustrating, especially for returning players. You can spend 12 hours a day playing, and it still wont be faster. But if you dont spend at least 5 hours a day, it will take much longer. Not to mention the HUGE time lost if you want top change the build and suddenly need another type of gear.

Also I cant help thinking all the time what an awesome char I could have if I had more trait points. This system is holding the chars back too much. If you know the system a bit, you always feel like youre missing something awesome, if you chose one build over the other. Maybe quick switching from one build to another would help somewhat, but I doubt it.

Its a shame, this game was so promising.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2014, 04:08.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 21, 2014, 00:32 Keilun

Ascended gear has a huge problem too. With gear is so directly tied with your build and the sheer amount of grinding you need to do to get a full set of ascended, by the time you're able to purchase the gear you're left wondering "but what if I want to try this other build"? They have the solution sitting right in front of them (allow them to change stats on the fly), but they're intent on making that a Legendary only capability. They've already said that Legendaries should be purely cosmetic, but apparently that's thrown out of the window.

Lastly, skins. Jebus. I haven't bought a single skin because of this, but I have collected so many from events and such and I still haven't used a single one. Why? Because it's one-time use. If you want to apply it to another item, you have to use GEMS to remove the skin and apply it to another item. Skins should just simply unlock account wide. There's a reason skins aren't selling like hotcakes and I suspect that this is one of them.

The game could be so good it makes me so angry. Grrr. Here's to hoping Wildstar is what we've been looking for.

/endrant.

5. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 20, 2014, 21:22 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 21:16:
Who exactly was spending less than multiples of 5 in any given trait line? The giant hexagons every 5 points seemed pretty straightforward.

Nobody. Literally nobody. There can't have been a single person with the actual intelligence to buy the game, install it and create a character, who then couldn't figure out that buying 14 and 11 points isn't as clever as buying 15 and 10. It's them just making shit up to justify their stupid attempt at a new system.

I've just had a look at these new traits, and ugh. These are fucking GRANDMASTER level traits, that you now need to be level EIGHTY for, and you need to do whatever in the world to get it, and what do you get then? Well, the engineer gets a projectile reflect bubble on their turrets for FOUR seconds! What about the fact that turrets are borked? Yeah, we're gonna ignore that.

And the guardian gets +3000 health. Sounds cool, until you realize that just about the only thing that kills guardians is one-hit-KO stuff, against which that 3000 health won't do shit.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2014, 21:41.

4. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 20, 2014, 21:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

I'm still relatively new to GW2, but I really didn't think the Trait system was that confusing. Who exactly was spending less than multiples of 5 in any given trait line? The giant hexagons every 5 points seemed pretty straightforward. I'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Forcing people to do dungeons to get some traits seems like it will end badly. Currently it's near impossible to find groups for some dungeons at most times of the day, compared to WvW or PvP where you can easily play basically 24 hours a day if you wanted to. At least on my server.

Then when there is a group for a given dungeon, they only want Berserker Warriors with 6k Attack, etc.

I assume the cost to buy those same traits is going to be prohibitive, or requires excessive grinding of some new drop.

Still, the grandmaster traits don't sound half bad, although the last thing necros or mesmers need is any sort of buff.

3. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 20, 2014, 21:13 Creston

The content in GW2 is great. Seeing Lion's Arch now, after the battles over the past six weeks, is genuinely a melancholy feeling. Everything's destroyed, and I really miss the old Lion's Arch. The Living World genuinely makes big changes to existing sectors, and it's a very cool thing.

But, they really need to do something about the underlying system, especially combat. Conditions and crowd control are virtually useless, causing DPS to be so absolutely king that it's basically all anyone ever runs with. The Holy Trinity is gone, long live the Holy Singularity.

New traits sounds cool, and them going back to the old Elite system from GW1 is really funny, since they murdered that because the PvPers kept fucking whining about how hard it was to get a skill. I guess maybe they're finally realizing that 95% of their userbase plays PvE and Dungeons, and they should stop catering to the 5% that bothers with PvP?

However, the way you're acquiring them is fucking terrible. Seriously? No traits until you're level fucking THIRTY?? And then you don't get the next point until level 36?? So for the first thirty levels, you just have to bumble about without any fucking bonuses or builds or combos whatsoever? That's fucking stupid.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2014, 21:18.

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 20, 2014, 20:23 Fion

First bit of news is very nice indeed. Trait point aquisition is changed so instead of a trickle with each lvl, one point unlocks one trait, etc. 5 new Grandmaster traits per class that require exploring or achieving something in the game world sounds awesome Harkens back to GW1 Elite Skill gathering. Something I really enjoyed.

Free trait reset from anywhere, finally!

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2014, 20:34.

1. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 20, 2014, 18:54 NKD

Meh.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo