Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 21, 2014, 19:14 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 16:21:
The DK2 uses a 5" 1080p display according to this article but yeah the higher rez small displays are nothing special these days since cellphones are sporting 1080p 5" displays and quad core processors

I'm surprised a 5" (or 5.5" as I'd heard but can't source) is physically large enough. Perhaps they work some magic with the lenses but my 5.5" phone's screen held right up to my face doesn't provide a wide enough screen.

That article also says the FoV is unchanged; I've heard it's gone from 90° to 100° horizontal and that it's complicated by them switching from referring to the diagonal FoV to the narrower horizontal measurement. This would contribute to how people (including this article's author) have described it as going from looking through a tube or binoculars to looking out of a window.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 21, 2014, 16:21 SpectralMeat

jdreyer wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 17:33:
They're using 7 inch screens for the OR. The iPad mini (7") has a resolution of 2048 x 1536. That's not quite the right ratio for something like the OR, but there are screens out there.
The DK2 uses a 5" 1080p display according to this article but yeah the higher rez small displays are nothing special these days since cellphones are sporting 1080p 5" displays and quad core processors

Steam: SpectralMeat

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 23:32 Jensen

jdreyer wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 21:25:
@ Quboid
That's a good point. I think I remember reading somewhere that OR wanted 120Hz refresh. Do we know that for sure? It would make sense for preventing nausea, I would think.
I think they wanted 120Hz before they experimented with low-persistence. Now with low persistence displays, you can have a much lower refresh rate and still make images in motion appear to be very sharp (much sharper than 120Hz full persistence). They are now targeting at least 90Hz, because by that point most people no longer notice any flickering. I used to run CRTs at 85Hz to avoid flickering, and it's the same concept for low persistence OLED or LCD.
Not that 90Hz is perfect in every way... higher is always better, even as you approach 1000Hz.

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 22:41 Cabezone

I believe they said after getting their last investor funds they can develop their own screen and are not limited to off the shelf.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 21:25 jdreyer

@ Quboid
That's a good point. I think I remember reading somewhere that OR wanted 120Hz refresh. Do we know that for sure? It would make sense for preventing nausea, I would think.

@ Jensen
I was thinking the same thing. It's not like OR and Samsung compete in the same space. When Samsung makes a screen, the make literally 10s of millions of them. Diverting a few hundred thousand to OR makes no difference, and gives Samsung bragging rights to boot.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 18:39 Jensen

Quboid wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 18:10:
If one of either a 1080p model for $250 or a 1440p model for $350 was to be released, although I personally would pay more for the higher resolution I would rather they chose the cheaper model.
They've said before that getting the best components available is more important to them than hitting a target price, such as $300. So I think they'd buy a 1440 screen for $150 instead of a 1080 screen for $100.

It's not like there is much of a choice when you have to buy several hundred thousand of something. There's not going to be a huge premium on any product available to purchase in huge quantities.

*baseless speculation*
And who knows what the manufacturing is like? Maybe Samsung wanted a 1440p display for their s5 phone, but wasn't able to get to the point where they could make tens of millions of displays in time to meet s5 demand, so they can sell screens to Oculus for now.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2014, 23:08.

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 18:10 Quboid

I hope it's not $400. That will put off a heck of a lot of people who would be quite interested, but who will baulk at the idea of paying as much as a shiny new console. If one of either a 1080p model for $250 or a 1440p model for $350 was to be released, although I personally would pay more for the higher resolution I would rather they chose the cheaper model. That would help sales and help word of mouth, resulting in more content for me to enjoy and I think would be better business for Oculus VR. That will help CV2, which is when IMHO they should go for 1440p at bare minimum.

jdreyer wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 17:33:
They're using 7 inch screens for the OR. The iPad mini (7") has a resolution of 2048 x 1536. That's not quite the right ratio for something like the OR, but there are screens out there.

Oculus VR are limited to whatever people will sell them; they can't R&D their own screen. This probably means that very new, high end screens are expensive and hard to get - Samsung/etc will be using their factories to pump out screens for their own phones and more lucrative contracts with other phone/tablet manufacturers.

What refresh rate does the iPad Mini Retina's screen use? I've no knowledge of the area but I would assume that very few of these screens can handle more than 60hz.

I wonder if our monitor has to match the refresh rate. Mine can't do over 60hz at 1080p, it's quite old.

- Quboid

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 18:07 Cutter

Oh really? And how are they going to reward positive behavior? What a load of hooey. Hooey!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 17:33 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 16:36:
Frijoles wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 16:04:
Quboid wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 14:13:
I haven't seen multiple people say that, just one who might have misspoke. What else has been said?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMMvF05ZT70

The one person who said it (that CV1 would be higher res) was Palmer. He's a pretty good source on the matter. I ordered a DK2. My hope is that we can read text in it. It was next to impossible in DK1. I'll be impressed if they can get the price below $300 for CV1.

man after watching that, i am pumped for this nonsense! he said it would come out soonish, that they have their CV1 design and specs down and they just need to get cracking on the hardware, subject to supply. so i'm taking that to mean within a year. no way soonish means 2 years.

also palmer says unequivocally, "the consumer product is going to have higher resolution, lower weight, lower latency, higher framerate..." even with economies of scale, with all that there's no possible way it'll be cheaper than DK2. higher res than 1080p probably means a 1440p screen and i don't think any phones even have those yet. unless they sell at a loss like sony did with ps3, $400 minimum.

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 17:22 Quboid

1badmf wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 16:37:
how is that not-exactly-conclusive? he says in no uncertain terms, "The consumer product will have higher resolution..." i don't see any room for debate there.

He lists a bunch of things at high speed and could easily have had a minor brain fart under pressure and been thinking of a change from DK1 to DK2.

- Quboid

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 16:37 1badmf

Quboid wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 16:16:
I haven't seen multiple people say that, just one who might have misspoke. What else has been said?

The one person who said it (that CV1 would be higher res) was Palmer. He's a pretty good source on the matter. I ordered a DK2. My hope is that we can read text in it. It was next to impossible in DK1. I'll be impressed if they can get the price below $300 for CV1.

That's the video I linked to, containing the one not-exactly-conclusive clue at 3:40.

how is that not-exactly-conclusive? he says in no uncertain terms, "The consumer product will have higher resolution..." i don't see any room for debate there.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 16:36 1badmf

man after watching that, i am pumped for this nonsense! he said it would come out soonish, that they have their CV1 design and specs down and they just need to get cracking on the hardware, subject to supply. so i'm taking that to mean within a year. no way soonish means 2 years.

also palmer says unequivocally, "the consumer product is going to have higher resolution, lower weight, lower latency, higher framerate..." even with economies of scale, with all that there's no possible way it'll be cheaper than DK2. higher res than 1080p probably means a 1440p screen and i don't think any phones even have those yet. unless they sell at a loss like sony did with ps3, $400 minimum.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 16:17 Draugr

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 15:51:
EA - Titfall... sounds odd, since the first one sold well enough it releases EA from having to make TitFall 2 exclusive for the Bone.

Who makes contracts like this? Seems odd that T2 being open for the PS4 was based on good sales for the Bone and PC.

Yeah, if this game was performing as they expected they wouldn't be shutting up about it, just like every other big release that goes as anticipated or better.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 16:16 Quboid

That's the video I linked to, containing the one not-exactly-conclusive clue at 3:40.

- Quboid

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 16:15 Draugr

Quboid wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 12:14:
Another person interviewed at the end of that clip, the VP Of Product, refers to the consumer version as Consumer V1, so they've presumably got more in mind in the future. Not a surprise.

In the past they've said they want to do iterative releases, so it makes sense.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 16:04 Frijoles

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 15:51 HorrorScope

EA - Titfall... sounds odd, since the first one sold well enough it releases EA from having to make TitFall 2 exclusive for the Bone.

Who makes contracts like this? Seems odd that T2 being open for the PS4 was based on good sales for the Bone and PC.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 14:13 Quboid

1badmf wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 13:59:
why would you think the V1 would be 1080p when multiple people at OVR have said it will be higher than DK2? from what i've read, V1 will be all around better than DK2, so there's really no possible way it'll be cheaper. same price at best, if they can get economies of scale to kick in, but most likely i bet it'll be around $400.

It's very possible for Consumer V1 to be better and cheaper. If they're intending to make a few tens of thousands of DK2s and a few hundred thousand Consumer V1s, they stand to make very significant savings in parts and manufacture per unit. The $250 guess was assuming a 1080 panel is used.

- Quboid

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 13:59 1badmf

why would you think the V1 would be 1080p when multiple people at OVR have said it will be higher than DK2? from what i've read, V1 will be all around better than DK2, so there's really no possible way it'll be cheaper. same price at best, if they can get economies of scale to kick in, but most likely i bet it'll be around $400.  

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 13:23 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 10:48:
Microsoft: We’re willing to “see how the VR space evolves”.

The Microsoft approach to everything.

It worked out well for Blizzard...

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo