Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses

A post in the Battle.net forums from Blizzard acknowledges that they are investigating why some Diablo III players are missing some items on logging into the action/RPG sequel, saying in most cases logging out and logging back in (perhaps repeatedly) will straighten things out. The problem is trickier for hardcore players, as apparently some have logged in to find their characters are missing altogether. This prompts them to offer the possibility of rolling back these missing characters:

We’re currently investigating an issue that’s affecting some characters, causing their items, armor, and weapons to go missing upon login. Although this issue is in most situations temporary and can be corrected with repeated login attempts, there are reports that some Hardcore heroes were lost as a result of this. For accounts which were specifically impacted by this issue, our Support team is investigating the possibility of providing a special one-time exception to allow for a rollback of the account, and subsequent restoration of the fallen heroes.

To contact our support with the request for this specific rollback exception, we encourage you to create a ticket through the following support portal with ‘MISSING GEAR DEATH’ in the body of the ticket:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/ticket/d3/297

Please know that the decision to allow such an exception is not an easy one to make, and that this is not a guarantee that we will offer the rollback to all accounts that petition us with this request. Only accounts which we can verify were affected by this missing gear issue leading to the death of a Hardcore character will be considered for these rollbacks. With that said, we do want you to know that we are continuing to address this issue, and ask for all players to be aware that the issue is currently ongoing.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 20, 2014, 08:44 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 23:40:
Mine is still there, just a low level dude, but I find HC a lot of fun. There is a certain care and urgency with HC that really makes the game great.

The thing about HC is if I had one, I think I'd play it at a lower level, for fear of losing it. On my non HC, I'll crank up the difficulty, and if I lose a few times, oh well.

Not unlike how I bought the expensive cars in GTA5, and they sit in the garage, despite me having 1.8 billion in the bank.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 23:40 xXBatmanXx

Mine is still there, just a low level dude, but I find HC a lot of fun. There is a certain care and urgency with HC that really makes the game great.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

32. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 18:39 jacobvandy

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 17:47:
I don't own D3 and never plan to play it. What I can say is that anybody who supports having a portion of the game forcibly run server-side - and those who have tried to crack/emulate D3 are well aware, D3 has that - is a hypocrite if they also complain about the lack of dedicated or user servers, LAN and TCP/IP support, or anything within that vein for any other game.

You can say that, sure... Doesn't mean it's not some utterly fantastic fallacy you're spewing.

31. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 17:47 NewMaxx

panbient wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 17:31:
So why would they print it on all 6 sides of the box if it was supposed to be subversive?

I would agree it's not subversive but on the other hand I've seen friends smoking cigarettes out of packs with a picture of cancerous lungs on them, so I'm not sure it really matters. Let me tell you, I know a lot of D2 players who would have called that game equally as addictive.

I don't own D3 and never plan to play it. What I can say is that anybody who supports having a portion of the game forcibly run server-side - and those who have tried to crack/emulate D3 are well aware, D3 has that - is a hypocrite if they also complain about the lack of dedicated or user servers, LAN and TCP/IP support, or anything within that vein for any other game.

To the guy saying SimCity is a poor comparison, allow me to point to the reality that both games have server-side code as a requirement. Or did, as SimCity as of patch 10 now works entirely offline. Nobody complains about MMOs having that arrangement - it's necessary - although I would say MMOs do at least allow mods to a certain extent. A game that began single-player and was largely player-run in its largest previous iteration is not the same thing whatsoever, and anybody who tries to say otherwise doesn't understand the difference between what players want and what they will merely accept.

30. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 17:46 Vio

I just can't resist  

29. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 17:31 panbient

deqer wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 16:33:
You know what "fine-print" is, right? The very definition and purpose of "fine-print" is to "trick" you.

So why would they print it on all 6 sides of the box if it was supposed to be subversive?

28. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 16:33 deqer

descender wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 11:36:
The real question is why the fuck does it bother you so much? At no point was there ever an offline mode, so it's not like you got tricked into buying it and then it wan't there.
The real answer is, people were tricked into buying it because 1) The "fine-print" online-required message on cover; keyword being "fine-print", and 2) the big title "Diablo 3" on the cover being a misleading title, instead of having a more accurate title of "Diablo 3 Online"

You know what "fine-print" is, right? The very definition and purpose of "fine-print" is to "trick" you.

Yeah, it's a Diablo game, the game can sell millions on the brand name alone
More evidence of how the "big title" was abused to trick people.

There you go.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2014, 16:38.

27. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 15:27 Kythlyn

This is very bad timing--just when things were looking up for Diablo III. Sigh.  

26. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 14:19 fox

very nice... stupid blizzard  

25. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 14:12 Undocumented Alien

Those games were also designed from the ground up to be played solo, so enjoying playing them in that fashion should not be a surprise

No, they are designed exactly like all 3 Diablo games, ARPG's with a Single Player story line that can be completed by a single player with optional coop. Torchlight 1/2, TQ, and Grim Dawn chose to not have online DRM, that's the only difference.

Playing D3 solo is really selling the experience short IMO... there is much to be gained in the "phat lewts" department (through kill speed and efficiency) by playing with a full group of players.

PoE is designed in basically the same fashion, playing it solo is almost making the experience more difficult for yourself for no reason

Saying that playing a game in a certain way is selling it short is a complete opinion and not a reason for an online DRM scheme. PoE can easily be beaten in SP, doesn't make it harder by playing it that way, not sure where this comes from.

Yes, playing coop, whether on a LAN or internet IS fun, no doubt about it, it's a great option to a single player game.

24. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 13:22 Undocumented Alien

What the people saying D1/2 had offline why can't D3 have it. Is because D3 wasn't designed for offline or single player. It was designed for a coop arpg loot hunt.

Wow... can't you just be honest like 'descender'?

Funny thing is D3 did GREAT with having online only

Yeah, it's a Diablo game, the game can sell millions on the brand name alone, online or offline wouldn't change that.

23. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 13:20 AirWreck

Please know that the decision to allow such an exception is not an easy one to make

That seems a little off? I don't care how hard it is for them to make it, it's their responsibility to take care of issues like this. Even if someone lost a single item in their stash that they haven't used recently. Use some of that prevented piracy money to pay for it.

22. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 13:14 Cutter

Well I did have spotty internet last night and couldn't play so case in point right there. I still feel dirty for caving but the lure of Diablo is strong. And as mentioned, they've been making strides in other areas to do the right thing so maybe not all hope is lost. Maybe it's a new hope. Like Star Wars. Remember Star Wars? A New Hope?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

21. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 13:14 Undocumented Alien

I'm sorry... what? If it weren't for battle.net giving D2 a 10 year shelf life, top-down ARPG's might not even be made today outside of a web browser

I'm sorry, but there wouldn't even have been a Diablo 2 without the SP Offline mode crowd making Diablo 1 such a success. Have to be able to take the first step before the second. There were plenty of isometric games before Diablo (i.e. TSR), I don't think Diablo's success or there lack of would have killed the 3/4 view genre either way.

Yes, the B.NET option was/is great, I had Toons on their myself. However, a large amount of D2's success was still from those SP Offline mode players from D1, especially in the early years of D2.

Sure, it could have had a single player, offline mode... and then they would have sold less copies of the game.

Would have sold less copies? How do you figure that? Even with some piracy D3 would have sold shit tons of units.

You had the chance to "show your disapproval" with your money, but instead you bought this online only game anyway and just whine about it?

Well, due to consumer feedback SimCity 5 provided Offline to it's customers, so why not provide the feedback to Blizzard? Would your day be ruined if they offered it? Would you stop playing?

Yep, I paid $19.99 for it, I'm a Diablo fan, been supporting the Diablo brand from day one (both SP and B.NET), that price made sense to me for 1/2 the game, I'd be willing to pay another $19.99 for the other half. That's what I paid for PoE, I gave them $20 for their SP online only game.

20. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 13:12 El Pit

After the end of the RMAH, ActiBlizz decided to learn from Somali pirates and take your best items hostage. Pay a ransom to get them back! The new service by Blizzard: RMHS - Real Money Hostage Service! Enjoy your single player games online, where you own NOTHING, not even the items you find.

Yeah, alright, just trolling, but this "better loot drops, but they get lost on our servers" thing is kind of funny.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

19. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 13:09 Mr. Tact

Linksil wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 12:54:
Funny thing is D3 did GREAT with having online only.
So did SimCity, that fact is proof of nothing, except perhaps the gullibility of most gamers.

I waited almost two years for Blizzard to fix this game, and they finally fixed it enough to satisfy me. And I'm glad I bought 3.5 weeks ago. The ODRM blows chunks, but I can get past it now that so many other things are fixed.

The idea that D3 is built from the ground up for multiplayer and/or on-line play and because of that it is better when playing coop. over playing solo is bull hockey. It just isn't so. It is simply a matter of personal preference.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 12:54 Linksil

Most of the comments here summed it up pretty good for both sides. What the people saying D1/2 had offline why can't D3 have it. Is because D3 wasn't designed for offline or single player. It was designed for a coop arpg loot hunt. Yes the drop rates were very wrong, yes the AH love or hate changed the way people thought about the game. But D1/2 were designed as a single player exp first with multiplayer added. D3 was the other way around. Games change, if you like it or not that's just a fact and you have to live with it(read as buy or not buy the game).

Don't compare simcity because there a difference in a game were you make your own town and were you run around in a group killing things. IF simcity did something like you and your online friends designed the town together, then maybe... but it's not. The online is just so you can look at each other towns and try to do trading. The offline mode for D3 doesn't bother me, it's all the bitching and whining that people are still doing about it and not even realizing that there's a difference. Oh yea consoles have an offline mode, but they had to totally revamp majors systems in the game and still want you playing 2-4 player coop instead of single player during it.

Funny thing is D3 did GREAT with having online only.

Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

17. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 12:13 descender

If it weren't for the Diablo SP offline crowd

I'm sorry... what? If it weren't for battle.net giving D2 a 10 year shelf life, top-down ARPG's might not even be made today outside of a web browser.

Why does it bother you that I want a mode that doesn't affect you in a any way?
It doesn't bother me, the constant complaining about it though...

You had the chance to "show your disapproval" with your money, but instead you bought this online only game anyway and just whine about it? Sure, it could have had a single player, offline mode... and then they would have sold less copies of the game. Why is that so hard to comprehend? Is the number of people that didn't purchase because of the lack of single player higher than the number of people that would steal a copy of the game if it didn't have this "always online DRM"? No freaking way!

The only reason there is a SP offline version of D3 for consoles is that it is very difficult to steal/copy console games. If they thought they were losing more sales (for lack of offline SP) on PC than they were directly saving in piracy numbers... don't you think they would have directly ported over that offline patch by now? My guess is that they won't release the PC offline version ever... or at least until the online population dies down again a few years after the last expansion.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2014, 12:31.

16. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 12:11 descender

Those games were also designed from the ground up to be played solo, so enjoying playing them in that fashion should not be a surprise

Playing D3 solo is really selling the experience short IMO... there is much to be gained in the "phat lewts" department (through kill speed and efficiency) by playing with a full group of players.

PoE is designed in basically the same fashion, playing it solo is almost making the experience more difficult for yourself for no reason.

15. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 12:09 Undocumented Alien

The "on-line only" function is straight DRM. There. Does that make your panties unwad for 2 minutes?

Refreshing honesty at least.

Didn't they just say in an interview a few weeks ago that they never should have released an offline version of D2? Man that would ruin some people's holidays.

They released D3 Offline for Consoles, kind of negates that whole statement.

The real question is why the fuck does it bother you so much? At no point was there ever an offline mode, so it's not like you got tricked into buying it and then it wan't there.

If it weren't for the Diablo SP offline crowd we wouldn't even be talking about D2 or D3, period. D1 came out in 1996, the internet wasn't ready for "mass market" online only, Diablo would have failed in that model. D2 came out in 2000, a bit more ready for online play but still strong sales numbers from the SP offline crowd. So the Diablo series was built on the backs of the SP Offline (LAN COOP) crowd. In addition, again, it's a single player story line that can completed by a single player, it's a single player game. Diablo games have a legacy of offline SP, that's why I supported D1 & D2.

Why don't consolers want always on?
Why did SimCity (5) offer an offline mode just yesterday?

I think the answer, if your honest, should be pretty clear.

Why does it bother you that I want a mode (that's been in every Diablo game to date) that doesn't affect you in a any way? THAT doesn't make any sense.

There is no point to playing a loot generating e-peen measuring contest offline by yourself. Unless you are playing ARPG's for the... story? LOL.

Funny as Diablo 1&2 did GREAT without having a forced online only DRM. I played D 1/2 offline to build my character up, explore the levels, see what's around the next corner, beat the game, much like I do with any offline game.

So if you play Skyrim, and because it's an offline SP game, is your character building and progression not worth it because other "kewl" people can't see your loot?

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo