Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Auction Houses Closed

Ding-dong the witch is dead. Which old witch? The Diablo III auction house bi... well, it doesn't really need to rhyme. Anyway, the Diablo III website announces the promised closure of the Diablo III auction houses, both the one that used in-game gold and the one that fuelled by real cash and gamer's tears. Existing auctions will end based on time remaining for some reason, even though no bids can be placed anymore. Word is:

The gold and real-money auction houses are now shut down in the Americas. For more information, including how the shutdown will affect active auctions, items in the Completed Tab, and your existing Battle.net Balance, please visit our Auction House Update FAQ.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2014, 15:43 Cram

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 14:50:
Wallshadows wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 12:45:

Also, grinding in T3+ for loot is terribly inefficient and should only be done for Paragon.
The reality is, you're not going to get new higher tier loot until you start grinding T3+, that's where the good stuff starts dropping.

In the expansion only, starting with torment. Lvl 70 torment only items. Right now, each torment level very slightly increases legendary drop rate, but a lot of people are just farming hard difficulty since the drop rate is essentially the same but you're killing things 20x quicker.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2014, 15:36 Axis

Yea I'm talking this last week, been on V2, had the game for 5 days now. The lag has been terrible every night I've played.

I only bought it because it was $20 and I'm not impressed with PoE's Invasion league and was hoping it would be something myself or my kid would like since ppl have been praising the new patch.

Yours truly,

Axis

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2014, 15:28 LittleMe

Axis wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 15:03:
Playing the AH was more fun than playing the game. Not saying I liked the AH, but DAMN D3 is a snoozefest.

I got a guy to level 60 in a day and was able to farm torment immediately with ww, hota or boulder and I was bored to tears in a few hours of keep runs - didn't even bother to look at loot after awhile it's so insignificant unless its a legendary or set piece - just shoveled it off to the salvage man.

And on top of it all, lag was insane. Way worse than anything I'd experienced in PoE. If only Invasion was worth a shit, now I'm just back to other indies...

The game is much, much better now with v2+. Try it again. It's genuinely fun now. But yeah on release back in May 2012 the lag was atrocious and the game wasn't fun then.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2014, 15:03 Axis

Playing the AH was more fun than playing the game. Not saying I liked the AH, but DAMN D3 is a snoozefest.

I got a guy to level 60 in a day and was able to farm torment immediately with ww, hota or boulder and I was bored to tears in a few hours of keep runs - didn't even bother to look at loot after awhile it's so insignificant unless its a legendary or set piece - just shoveled it off to the salvage man.

And on top of it all, lag was insane. Way worse than anything I'd experienced in PoE. If only Invasion was worth a shit, now I'm just back to other indies...

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2014, 15:09.

Yours truly,

Axis

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2014, 14:50 Mashiki Amiketo

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 12:45:

Also, grinding in T3+ for loot is terribly inefficient and should only be done for Paragon.
The reality is, you're not going to get new higher tier loot until you start grinding T3+, that's where the good stuff starts dropping.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

27. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 14:08 JohnBirshire

Blizzard opened an auction house, made items hardly ever drop in game so that people had no choice but to buy them on the auction house...then blamed the auction house for ruining the game.

26. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 13:57 Cutter

Robble robble robble!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 13:40 Krovven

Some funny stuff in here from people that don't really know what they are talking about. But whatever, most of it won't matter in a week or they'll figure it out soon enough.

2 things though, gems will be needed for Enchanting costs. And T3 is only inefficient if that's all you can handle and is entirely dependent upon your gear. And what you can handle now at lvl 60 is going to change in a week as you progress to 70 and find new gear.

24. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 13:18 Kythlyn

flechett3 wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 11:58:
All of the old legendary/set items are there, but there considered legacy now. 2.0 adds a ton of entirely new legendaries and sets. IMHO, they've done worse than half-ass the new items. A lot of the new legendaries are basically strong rares, and a lot of the new sets don't seem worth crafting (now that they all take 2 brimstone per item).

Brimstone is not the rarity it once was. At the rate legendary items drop now, you'll end up with a stack of it if you put any serious hours in.

23. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 12:45 Wallshadows

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 10:57:
uh you've played the game since 2.0 right? It costs 50k+ to make most rarest now and costs 2m for top tier gems. Even grinding t3+ for lewts can break your cash fast if you're making stuff for rerolls.

Yeah, some of the costs will have a greater impact without the AH but the emphasis on crafting hasn't moved much now with the new loot system. In my case, I haven't touched any of the BoA/6 stat crafting items because I've found more than enough well rolled items while grinding. As for gems, you only need a finite amount and by no means require a top-tier gem in each slot regardless of difficulty. The average player going in to RoS who had already played D3 in the past likely has more than enough gold to bank off of for spot crafting upgrades and a few decent gems as they grind.

22. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 12:37 avianflu

The best possible spin on this is that hopefully other devs took notice what a failure this was for Blizzard.  

21. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 12:04 pagb

Welcome to D3: RoS! THE ULTIMATE GRIND!

People whined so hard that not only the AH was closed, but all trading.

20. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 11:58 flechett3

All of the old legendary/set items are there, but there considered legacy now. 2.0 adds a ton of entirely new legendaries and sets. IMHO, they've done worse than half-ass the new items. A lot of the new legendaries are basically strong rares, and a lot of the new sets don't seem worth crafting (now that they all take 2 brimstone per item).

I'm actually really stupidly excited for RoS next week. I've avoided gameplay/spoilers since it's announcement, and it was free for me thanks to the now-dead AH. Well, free in the sense that I got lucky on a few set item drops really early on from D3's initial release that paid for the game and then some.

You just can't ignore the fact that they didn't have commas in the auction house until 2.0 came out, and now 2 month later the AH is dead. There's always some stupid design decisions barking at you when you play this game.

19. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 11:49 panbient

Now that they've 'fixed' the auction house what are the odds of cross platform MP? I know Blizzard has said no in the past but they also said the AH was an integral part of the product...

I'd really rather just play it on my PS3 while most of my friends are attached to their PC characters. I just prefer the subtle distinction of actually moving my character rather than clicking on where I want it to go. At the same time I suppose gamepad support for the PC version would work too.

18. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 11:43 jacobvandy

Most were in the game already, but they were really mundane. Basically a few guaranteed stats and that's it. With Loot 2.0, they've redone a ton of them, adding unique modifiers that can be found on no other item. Also redid (buffed) the set bonuses, so all the old greens aren't worth much in comparison. For example I saw the monk set will give you the base effects of all four mantras at all times.  

17. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 11:37 nin

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 11:20:
nin wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 10:47:
Desalus wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 10:43:
With patch 2.0 and the AH gone, the game is actually worth playing now.

Totally agree with that. Loot 2.0 has made the game a lot more enjoyable for me. Pretty much every 60-90 minutes it's Orange Time, and it's fucking awesome. All kinds of neat stuff I never saw in the first month, and never thought I'd get a shot at...

Were these items already in the game, or are they new? It never ceases to amaze me that devs will make these really awesome and fun weapons, and then make it so that 99.999% of their players will never, ever fucking see one.

HI GEARBOX!

As far as I know (granted, I'm not an expert on d3) they were there (that is to say, these specific items), but just had very low drop rates. I think I played something like 40-50 hours when D3 launched, and got a single orange (which my current character couldn't even use, as it was for a barb, I believe).

With 2.0, I pretty sure they've said (don't have the quote in front of me) they've gone back and revisited oranges, and bumped them up a bit so that "a legendary is now actually legendary". (edit: Jivaro beat me to this part.)

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 11:36 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 11:20:
[
Were these items already in the game, or are they new? It never ceases to amaze me that devs will make these really awesome and fun weapons, and then make it so that 99.999% of their players will never, ever fucking see one.

HI GEARBOX!

yes and no? I mean, oranges existed obviously but all loot has undergone some changes beyond just drop rates. The oranges produced after the 2.0 patch are largely superior to anything from before the patch in many ways. Aside from a couple of oranges with cool names or secondary effects, I have gotten rid of most of my old stuff. Within a day or so it was all obsolete.

15. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 11:20 Creston

Totally agree with that. Loot 2.0 has made the game a lot more enjoyable for me. Pretty much every 60-90 minutes it's Orange Time, and it's fucking awesome. All kinds of neat stuff I never saw in the first month, and never thought I'd get a shot at...

HI GEARBOX!

14. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 11:16 Creston

It only took them 18 months to figure this out.

of course, so many people had already bailed on the game, the AH probably wasn't making much money anymore anyway.

Note to blizzard: never let that old producer make another game. (Whatever his fucking name was. Wilson?)

13. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 11:06 nin

Linksil wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 10:57:

Toss in Adventure mode with the expansion and I'm actually excited to play D3.

The only funny thing I find about this is that even before loot 2.0; I was finding a Legendary every 60-90 mins. The only difference is that if it wasn't an upgrade(which was the problem) I could sell it. Now it's just a brimstone(BOA set to the class i'm playing) as it's not even worth the gold sell, as golds useless. In the exp you'll need 61-70 legendary's for crafting higher end stuff, but I feel with the sad state of crafting in all ARPG games it won't last.

It sounds like you might have played longer than I have. I just hit 60 (and about 13 paragon levels) over the weekend, so most orange drops are still an upgrade to me. Obviously, at some point soon, I'm going to see diminishing returns on what drops, like what you're describing with your experience.

So I can see where you're coming from. I do wish that crafting might get a retool, as from 1-60, I hardly used it at all, since almost anything that dropped was better (or anything I did craft to fill a gap was quickly replaced).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo