Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gauntlet Remake This Summer

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment they've picked up the gauntlet, as they plan on offering an updated version of Gauntlet for Windows this summer through Valve's Steam service, saying this will fully support SteamOS and the upcoming Steam Machines. This is in development at Arrowhead Studios (Magicka), and they say it "innovates on past titles while staying true to the brandís legendary format." WBIE also has more retro remakes in the works, as they say: "The game will lead the launch of WB Games Vault, a direct-to-digital portfolio that will deliver paid games based on popular Warner Bros. and Midway brands, plus original IP, across multiple digital networks." The Gauntlet website is already online, featuring newsletter signups, and an official announcement trailer which includes gameplay footage and an outline of the game's classes. Here's part of the announcement:

Upon selecting a playable character, the gameplay is set within dungeons where the object is to fight through the chambers slaying evil creatures and completing challenges. An assortment of special items can be located in each dungeon that can restore the playerís health, unlock doors, and shift the odds in the playerís favor with magical relics which can aid the player in surviving longer in the Gauntlet. The enemies are a vast assortment of fantasy-based monsters, including ghosts, grunts, demons, spiders, sorcerers and skeleton warriors.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

8. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 11:08 Strango

MacLeod wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 10:02:
...Without the balance of using actual money to continue or add health, the game doesn't really work. If I can continue an unlimited amount of times, without having to worry about running out of quarters, the danger of the game is gone. I find that you just start barreling through monsters, where in the arcade you actually take your time and try to avoid being hit.

Hammerwatch struck a good balance on this subject. You had a limited number of lives (a shared pool in co-op) and when they were gone that was it. If you restarted it would be back at the first level again. You could earn more lives, but never enough to keep you from playing conservatively. Now with that said I doubt this new title will do something like that, but I hope to be surprised.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 11:04 Cutter

Gauntlet was fun, but if they're updating it why not do it a lot better? Oh wait, because they're WBIE and sales trump making good games or fixing the broken ones you've already sold. Definite pass.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 10:37 Parallax Abstraction

This looks pretty cool. I hope it's not a broken mess like Arrowhead's other releases.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

5. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 10:37 Darks

nin wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 09:57:
Hmmm...something seems off? Is it the camera?

Looks like they are going for a slight angle verses the top down. Never was a big fan of straight top down games. So this doesnít look too bad to me.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

4. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 10:20 HorrorScope

It's an ARPG.  

3. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 10:03 Jivaro

I am not a fan of the camera angle but honestly, as "remakes" go...that doesn't look half as bad as my imagination was visualizing before I watched the video. Looks like there is some mindless button mashing fun to be had in that game....for the right price of course. Almost looks like it could be played like a twin stick shooter.  

2. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 10:02 MacLeod

I love Gauntlet... I always wanted an actual arcade machine. But I'll explain my problem with actually playing Gauntlet on any home system (including an of the newer 3D ones). Without the balance of using actual money to continue or add health, the game doesn't really work. If I can continue an unlimited amount of times, without having to worry about running out of quarters, the danger of the game is gone. I find that you just start barreling through monsters, where in the arcade you actually take your time and try to avoid being hit.  

1. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 09:57 nin

Hmmm...something seems off? Is it the camera?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo