Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gauntlet Remake This Summer

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment they've picked up the gauntlet, as they plan on offering an updated version of Gauntlet for Windows this summer through Valve's Steam service, saying this will fully support SteamOS and the upcoming Steam Machines. This is in development at Arrowhead Studios (Magicka), and they say it "innovates on past titles while staying true to the brandís legendary format." WBIE also has more retro remakes in the works, as they say: "The game will lead the launch of WB Games Vault, a direct-to-digital portfolio that will deliver paid games based on popular Warner Bros. and Midway brands, plus original IP, across multiple digital networks." The Gauntlet website is already online, featuring newsletter signups, and an official announcement trailer which includes gameplay footage and an outline of the game's classes. Here's part of the announcement:

Upon selecting a playable character, the gameplay is set within dungeons where the object is to fight through the chambers slaying evil creatures and completing challenges. An assortment of special items can be located in each dungeon that can restore the playerís health, unlock doors, and shift the odds in the playerís favor with magical relics which can aid the player in surviving longer in the Gauntlet. The enemies are a vast assortment of fantasy-based monsters, including ghosts, grunts, demons, spiders, sorcerers and skeleton warriors.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 14:19 Ant

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 11:24:
What is with the age limit on the web site? Come on it was a kids arcade game. So they are making it too gory for kids? what a bunch of idiots.

Arrowhead has not exactly blessed the gaming community with solid games, they would not be my first choice.
Also, what's with the secured connection? Why does the game's web site needs that?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. I <3 Gauntlet. Mar 17, 2014, 14:13 Ant

I used to play the original arcade games too much. This does look like Diablo, Torchlight, etc. which I also enjoy though. I never got into Gauntlet 3, Legends, etc. though.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

26. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 14:09 ASeven

So many countless days spent on the arcade and on my Commodore 64 playing this one. And Gauntlet 2 too.

I hope this remake comes out fine, it looks good at least.

25. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 13:53 HorrorScope

CeeJay wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 13:04:
I'd call this a Diablo clone if it wasn't for the fact that Diablo is a Gauntlet clone.

Right and it's going to have to better than the clones it has spurred and there have been many lately. Or priced about $10.

24. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 13:52 Yosemite Sam

nin wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 09:57:
Hmmm...something seems off? Is it the camera?

View is too far away and areas are too big.

MacLeod wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 10:02:
I love Gauntlet... I always wanted an actual arcade machine. But I'll explain my problem with actually playing Gauntlet on any home system (including an of the newer 3D ones). Without the balance of using actual money to continue or add health, the game doesn't really work. If I can continue an unlimited amount of times, without having to worry about running out of quarters, the danger of the game is gone. I find that you just start barreling through monsters, where in the arcade you actually take your time and try to avoid being hit.

Disagree, I remember playing a Gauntlet type game with a friend on the TurboGrafx and it was quite enjoyable without having to dump quarters into it.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

23. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 13:44 JayDeath

Wizard needs food badly! It looks pretty good.  
Steam: BenRichards

Shadow of Mordor is wonderful.

22. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 13:07 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 11:57:
dj LiTh wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 11:17:
Cool, remember it being my favorite game i had on the old Apple IIGS

Yeah Gauntlet was pretty badass at the time, not sure how it will hold up though.

If you're curious, pick up Hammerwatch. It's basically a ripoff of Gauntlet. It's well done with good 8 bit graphics, fun gameplay, and a good soundtrack.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

21. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 13:04 CeeJay

I'd call this a Diablo clone if it wasn't for the fact that Diablo is a Gauntlet clone.  
I'm the developer of SweetFX

20. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 13:02 jdreyer

Darks wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 11:28:
Letís be realistic here about the lives and spending quarters. I worked in a movie theater when this game was release long ago. We had the keys to the machine so we would pump it up with lives so we could play all night long. Games like these in Arcades are designed to keep you spending quarters so you can keep drugging through the game. There is no end for a game like this, its made to keep regenerating levels until the end of time.

As for the new version, who knows how many levels there are. But gamers do not want to sit and rehash the same levels over and over again. The nice thing about Hamerwatch was, you could set the option in Coop to unlimited lives, and thatís the way we preferred it. No one wanted to die and the restart all over again because one person kept dying and using up all of the lives.

You canít compare an arcade type game with your typical games of today. Most games these days have re-spawning. No different then having unlimited lives.

Yeah, Hammerwatch is pretty unforgiving on default. All games like this should offer such a mode so less skilled or patient folks can enjoy it too.

Also, I'm glad it's not 8 bit.

19. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 12:57 jdreyer

What is with the age limit on the web site? Come on it was a kids arcade game. So they are making it too gory for kids? what a bunch of idiots.

Arrowhead has not exactly blessed the gaming community with solid games, they would not be my first choice.

Yeah, this is too bad. I love playing Hammerwatch and Trine 2 with the kids (PC hooked up to big screen TV). We even picked up a 3rd controller so we could all play together. Tons of fun. But this looks just a bit too gory. I'll have to wait a few years until the kids are older before picking this up.

18. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 12:50 AlexSledge

Without the balance of using actual money to continue or add health, the game doesn't really work. If I can continue an unlimited amount of times, without having to worry about running out of quarters, the danger of the game is gone. I find that you just start barreling through monsters, where in the arcade you actually take your time and try to avoid being hit.

Never you worry! Through the magic of micro-transactions all your wants and needs can come true! Instead of real quarters, you can buy WB-coinZ for $0.75USD to use just as you would real quarters in ye olden timey arcade machines! A victory for WB and players!

I should be coding.

17. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 12:24 Rhialto

What? No comments related to Diablo 3?
Isn't that the Squeleton King at 1:17?

More seriously, this reminds me playing it on the C-64. And I think it looks great. I was a D3 player and will surely take a look at this, hope for a demo though.

16. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 12:16 Beamer

The Gauntlet from the GameCube/Xbox/PS2 era was fun, too. Simple beyond reason - you didn't even need to hit a button, if you walked into an enemy you'd attack (albeit at a much, much slower rate than if you hit buttons.)

I'd guess it was absolutely miserable single player, but multiplayer it was just crazy enough to keep you playing with 3 friends, constantly mocking whomever needed food badly.

This video just looked ok, though. When bad guys died they did so spectacularly, but for the most part it seemed like 4 people separated, individually surrounded by slow moving damage sponges. Enemies seemed to take too many hits. From the short clip, at least.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 11:57 Verno

dj LiTh wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 11:17:

Yeah Gauntlet was pretty badass at the time, not sure how it will hold up though.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

14. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 11:46 nin

Did they not let you in?! Huh!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

13. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 11:46 The Half Elf

I DID NOT SHOOT THE FOOD!  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 11:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

Looks pretty good, if the price/drm aren't ridiculous I'll probably pick it up.

Magicka had some great aspects, good netcode. I don't see Arrowhead doing anything horrible to the Gauntlet formula to ruin this game, and they have slapstick violence down pretty well.

11. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 11:28 Darks

Strango wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 11:08:
...Without the balance of using actual money to continue or add health, the game doesn't really work. If I can continue an unlimited amount of times, without having to worry about running out of quarters, the danger of the game is gone. I find that you just start barreling through monsters, where in the arcade you actually take your time and try to avoid being hit.

Hammerwatch struck a good balance on this subject. You had a limited number of lives (a shared pool in co-op) and when they were gone that was it. If you restarted it would be back at the first level again. You could earn more lives, but never enough to keep you from playing conservatively. Now with that said I doubt this new title will do something like that, but I hope to be surprised.

Letís be realistic here about the lives and spending quarters. I worked in a movie theater when this game was release long ago. We had the keys to the machine so we would pump it up with lives so we could play all night long. Games like these in Arcades are designed to keep you spending quarters so you can keep drugging through the game. There is no end for a game like this, its made to keep regenerating levels until the end of time.

As for the new version, who knows how many levels there are. But gamers do not want to sit and rehash the same levels over and over again. The nice thing about Hamerwatch was, you could set the option in Coop to unlimited lives, and thatís the way we preferred it. No one wanted to die and the restart all over again because one person kept dying and using up all of the lives.

You canít compare an arcade type game with your typical games of today. Most games these days have re-spawning. No different then having unlimited lives.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

10. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 11:24 Ozmodan

9. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 11:17 dj LiTh

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo