Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 18, 2014, 09:36 nin

Prez wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 09:36:
The amount of horseshit that gets shoveled out by gaming companies and lapped up by game "journalists" has reached epic levels.

Have a Mt Dew, Prez!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 18, 2014, 09:36 Prez

The amount of horseshit that gets shoveled out by gaming companies and lapped up by game "journalists" has reached epic levels.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 18, 2014, 09:01 gray

Games processing offloaded to the Cloud = planned obsolescence + DRM.  

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 23:49 Beamer

entr0py wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 23:29:
Um, but Titanfall has a horrible server setup. Small player count, small maps, no player run servers or customization. "Microsoft Cloud" might be a step forward from peer-to-peer matchmaking that console peasants expect, but it's several steps back from the legendary dedicated server of the PC gaming master race.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 23:29 entr0py

Um, but Titanfall has a horrible server setup. Small player count, small maps, no player run servers or customization. "Microsoft Cloud" might be a step forward from peer-to-peer matchmaking that console peasants expect, but it's several steps back from the legendary dedicated server of the PC gaming master race.  

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 19:26 Fantaz

TEH CLOUD! oh mah gerd  

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 17:54 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 15:05:

But they're supposed to be like minions from a MOBA game. They've kind of been upfront about that from the start. Every time someone has complained about the AI I've pointed this out, but no one seems to care.

Yup. ANd those "Dumbbots" can stay. Just also give me UT style bots in place of the human players so I can play offline or coop with a bud.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 17:42 Cyant

The microsoft cloud is a way to turn off the servers soon after the 2nd version of the game is released so you cant play the old version and need to buy the new one. That is all.  

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 16:31 Simon Says

So their version of "cloud usefullness" is disguising online only DRM under the guise of more features? Yeah... right...

Like we haven't seen that before *cough* Sim City *cough*.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2014, 16:42.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 16:24 PropheT

But they're supposed to be like minions from a MOBA game. They've kind of been upfront about that from the start. Every time someone has complained about the AI I've pointed this out, but no one seems to care.

The problem I have with that is this: Titanfall’s A.I. Is “Processed in the Cloud” For All Versions, Says Respawn

If the AI is only mindless MOBA-minion bots...what's the point? You're either offloading something that doesn't need to be offloaded from the client side, or the functions they intended to be possible with cloud-based AI processing aren't worth the trouble.

Something doesn't click with the explanation. There's no point in offloading the AI to the cloud if you're not going to do anything with it.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 15:40 nin

Creston wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 15:24:
Britain's mcvuk takes money from Microsoft to bleat stupid nonsense; also likes it up the ass.

Years ago (IE still wasn't popular then), I had a boss who, every time the sales rep passed along a link about how great and secure IE was, he'd pass it along to the rest of us. I finally started accusing him of propaganda.

Then there was another time (different boss, years earlier) who had a Roxio rep on the speaker phone. I walk in, and w/o me knowing who he's talking to, he says:

Boss: (to me) "Hey, whats the best cd burner software?"

Me: "Nero."

Boss:(into speaker, shit eating grin on face) "Did you catch that?"

Sales rep: "WHAT?! Nooooooooooooooo!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 15:30 Bundy

Bundy wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 14:54:
The AI in the game is virtually non-existant from what I've seen. You'll have no trouble at all, running into a room full of Spectors (robots), and killing every single one before any of them even raises his weapon. The AI bots in old school UT2004 were leaps and bounds better than the Titanfall bots. It's more accurate to compare them to minions from a MOBA game, than actual AI.

The game doesn't sound as polished as many are making it out to be. Maybe inside the game, but it's missing modes, matchmaking, etc., that all seem like they were cut for time and will show up later. It sounds like it was released 85% done, and while they got the most important parts done, it still looks half-baked.
I'd probably love it, but don't feel like paying $500 for it.

The grunts were supposed to be minions, but they came out and told us that spectors were the hunter killers of the game. They'll fly up on rooftops, shoot you in the back, then hunt for others. At the very least, grunts and spectors shouldn't be so bad that that they get ignored completely. Nobody kills them, because they dont want to waste their ammo, and risk bumping into a real enemy, mid reload.

But if they're just gonna be scripted minions, fine. But then dont talk about the power of the cloud running their AI. Its hardly a testament

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 15:24 Creston

Britain's mcvuk takes money from Microsoft to bleat stupid nonsense; also likes it up the ass.  

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 15:09 SpectralMeat

Don't have to buy a console for it, you can play it on your PC unless if you are looking for an excuse to get an Xbone.
This game is far from system seller imo, and I think the PC version needs a price cut, since they are giving it away for the Xbone owners.

Steam: SpectralMeat

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 15:05 Beamer

Bundy wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 14:54:
The AI in the game is virtually non-existant from what I've seen. You'll have no trouble at all, running into a room full of Spectors (robots), and killing every single one before any of them even raises his weapon. The AI bots in old school UT2004 were leaps and bounds better than the Titanfall bots. It's more accurate to compare them to minions from a MOBA game, than actual AI.

The game doesn't sound as polished as many are making it out to be. Maybe inside the game, but it's missing modes, matchmaking, etc., that all seem like they were cut for time and will show up later. It sounds like it was released 85% done, and while they got the most important parts done, it still looks half-baked.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 14:54 Bundy

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 14:48 avianflu

That MS Cloud article was total blather.

The game however looks genuinely polished and the burn cards are a nice touch.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 14:22 Pigeon

The release of Titanfall boosted Xbox One sales by a whopping 96 per cent in the UK compared to the console's sales the previous week.

So instead of the 50 units they sold last week they've sold 98 this week

Its really not that shocking given this was supposed to be THE xbone game to get. Actually I'd imagine that's a bit disappointing for Microsoft assuming their sales for a week where they didn't have a big game launching were lackluster.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 14:16 harlock

pretty funny how its like "yeh you cant tell its doing anything, but trust us! its awesome!"  

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 13:54 PropheT

From what they were talking about that I read pre-launch, the cloud comes in to assist with AI in the game... and everyone I've seen talk about that says it's braindead.

He's not even talking about cloud here from what I can tell, he's describing virtualization. That does let them do cool things, like save a lot of money on hosting, but I'm not sure where the consumer-end interest really is supposed to materialize from that.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo