Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Titanfall Optimization Tips

There's a Titanfall config guide on PC Gamer showing how to get the most out of your rig when playing Respawn's mech-themed shooter. They provide some external optimizations, including a utility to unpark CPU cores and tips on fixing vsync through your video card's drivers.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 17, 2014, 03:35 netnerd85

007Bistromath wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 02:34:
it deserves to be recognized as more than a COD clone. This isn't deep, but it's far from brainless. It made this style of shooter fun again for me, and that's a massive achievement.

Agreed, well said!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 17, 2014, 02:34 007Bistromath

shihonage wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 17:38:
007Bistromath wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 09:33:
Titanfall is a game that introduces multiple paths to victory to team deathmatch. That you somehow hadn't noticed that proves that what Trevellian said is correct, and everything you type about Titanfall is a waste of keystrokes.

I didn't mean multiple paths LITERALLY you simpleton.

Neither did I, you dullard.

In a game of Attrition, you advance your team's score by killing anything, and there are several meaningfully different ways to accomplish that goal. You can charge into the hot zones for standard run & gun, or you can stay on the periphery to farm creeps and attempt to avoid other players until your Titan comes in. Once it's in, you can jump in it to go after other Titans, or use it as a huge, noisy, dangerous decoy while you sneak around ganking pilots trying to deal with it. It is a form of TDM, goddamn TDM, of all things, that has a variety of valid tactics which a player can choose from and switch between on the fly. Of course it doesn't have deep teamplay the way a game with actual classes and objectives does, but it represents a genuinely innovative and fun evolution to shooters in the twitch paradigm. It's something I'd really like to see the industry as a whole appropriate for more nuanced purposes, and it deserves to be recognized as more than a COD clone. This isn't deep, but it's far from brainless. It made this style of shooter fun again for me, and that's a massive achievement.

46. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 22:13 Beamer

Redmask wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 21:18:
Don't forget the people who see every criticism as a defilement of their lord and savior.

Or those that see every bit of enjoyment as "white knighting" (my heart broke a little when nin used that term the other day), or that refuse to acknowledge that something can be fun yet not be developed exclusively for the PC by a company that never released anything for a console.

Like I said, everyone in this debate is kind of sucking.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

45. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 21:18 Redmask

Don't forget the people who see every criticism as a defilement of their lord and savior.  

44. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 20:23 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 18:37:
"I like this game."
"You're just sheeple drinking the Kool-Aid!"
"You're just saying that because you suck at the game!"
"Oh, that's original. I can't suck because I never even bothered playing this suckfest! Stop white-knighting!"

Worst thread in ages.

Itís the same thing any time a new MP FPS comes out. People complain that is not like their style of FPS or they make complaints that can be leveled at any MP FPS. Then you have the * is cheap people and the too many hackers people.

43. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 18:37 Beamer

"I like this game."
"You're just sheeple drinking the Kool-Aid!"
"You're just saying that because you suck at the game!"
"Oh, that's original. I can't suck because I never even bothered playing this suckfest! Stop white-knighting!"

Worst thread in ages.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2014, 19:01.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

42. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 17:38 shihonage

Titanfall is a game that introduces multiple paths to victory to team deathmatch. That you somehow hadn't noticed that proves that what Trevellian said is correct, and everything you type about Titanfall is a waste of keystrokes.

I didn't mean multiple paths LITERALLY you simpleton. Yes, the wall-running, how novel, oh no you can chain them, I got hang of it in minutes.

Quake Wars just had a richer arsenal of possibilities at any given moment, which included the weapons you used and how they worked. It was a deeper game in all respects. It had a ton more vehicles, includine Titans, which handled far more satisfactorily than the ones in Titanfall. They could go prone, like a siege tank, and be repaired. It even had Titanfall's "falling from the sky" effect, which looked awesome.

I have many demos recorded from Quake Wars still lying on my HD, after I got pretty good with it, bouncing shots off walls and doing all kinds of crazy shit that is way beyond the shallow herp-derp-COD-clones like Titanfall.

I think I'm gonna dig up those demos and make a tribute video to Quake Wars in pointless hope that it will help get the game back.

41. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 13:04 Agent.X7

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 03:21:
Smart pistol is bullshit. Period. You can defend it all you like, but we all know it's bullshit.

You are wrong. It is quite difficult to use against enemy pilots unless they are oblivious. You have to be pretty damn sneaky to use it for anything other than creep farming. It's basically what this game has instead of witchblading, and it's much more fair than that ever was.

shihonage wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 07:50:
My point was that I miss games which weren't made for idiots (COD/Titanfall), and weren't simplistic, sloppy-coded garbage(Tribes:Ascend). They had multiple paths to victory, which suffocated hackers even with working aimbots.

No, YOU are wrong, hur dee der de dur.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

40. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 12:56 Agent.X7

Cabezone wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 10:29:
If you are getting killed regularly by the smart pistol, you do suck at the game. It takes ages for the thing to lock on, it's only good for ambushing pilots and killing grunts. It's just a beginner weapon that helps people get into the game, that's it.

Can I be cool liek all the kids and just scream WRONG!

I disagree. I have tried out the smart pistol and whipped the shit out of everybody with it. It locks on pretty damn fast, and the entire middle of the screen is one giant killzone. Added bonus - it fires just as fast as a sub gun without locking on an does more damage! Yeah!

Fanboi defense away!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

39. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 12:51 Agent.X7

Trevellian wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 07:42:
"I suck at the game and im going to cry hacks." That's all I got out of the last few posts. Keep making up excuses for yourselves. There will always be someone better than you. Especially people who have been playing COD for years and are already used to the aiming mechanics in this game because of it. Get over it. I place in the top 3 almost 75% of my games played (this is a stat you can look up in game BTW) and probably about 30% of those placings were MVP. In all that time I have MAYBE been suspicious of ONE person for hacking. But apparently you guys run into them regularly. I find that incredibly difficult to believe.

If you don't like the game. That's fine. Don't like it. But dont make up bullshit like "everyone else is hacking" because you suck as a reason to give to other people. Its pretty pathetic. And this isn't the only game I've seen people do this with here. Just stop.

Blah blah blah, I THINK I'M AWESOME. That's all I got out of your bullshit. Respawn has admitted there are a ton of cheaters right now, so piss off.

Also, I rarely complain about cheating in games. I recognize that people are better than me, and I laugh when everyone in BF4 whines about this guy or that guy cheating. No, they're probably just better than you.

However, I have watched people in Titanfall cross an entire map in a split second, and have seen a bunch of people popping headshots with pistols and subguns from across the map with regularity. Like, every kill.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2014, 13:03.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

38. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 10:33 Redmask

Cabezone wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 10:29:
If you are getting killed regularly by the smart pistol, you do suck at the game. It takes ages for the thing to lock on, it's only good for ambushing pilots and killing grunts. It's just a beginner weapon that helps people get into the game, that's it.

That whole response was in reference to hacks, not the smart pistol. The smart pistol is stupid for different reasons but its not very effective so its more for enabling dumb players to feel like they're contributing.

37. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 10:29 Cabezone

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

36. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 10:17 Redmask

Trevellian wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 07:42:
"I suck at the game and im going to cry hacks." If you don't like the game. That's fine. Don't like it. But dont make up bullshit like "everyone else is hacking" because you suck as a reason to give to other people. Its pretty pathetic. And this isn't the only game I've seen people do this with here. Just stop.

Maybe other people have had a different playing experience than you, I don't know why you seem to think that your particular playing sessions were shared by the rest of the world. You don't need to be so defensive about this game, if you like it then fine, like it but stop trying to act like everyone else sucks because they don't like it for the same reasons you do or had a different experience playing it.

35. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 09:48 Dr. D. Schreber

The only time I've lost head-on to a smart pistol is when the other guy panics and spams it without trying to lock on before I kill him. Fair game, I've certainly done that with pretty much every gun in every game with guns.

Really, I agree that the smartpistol is BS, but not because it's convenient to use it as a scapegoat while telling everyone how smart I am for hating Titanfall.

It's BS because it's goddamn near worthless and they spent time making it when they could've made a neater, more functional weapon instead. It's not even very efficient for farming the minions. In the time it takes to lock on, you can easily aim and plink one or two shots into a minion, or multiple minions in a group, with most semi-auto weapons. Failing that, you can hose them down with an SMG, the LMG, or the definately-not-the-Glock-18 pistol.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

34. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 09:33 007Bistromath

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 03:21:
Smart pistol is bullshit. Period. You can defend it all you like, but we all know it's bullshit.

You are wrong. It is quite difficult to use against enemy pilots unless they are oblivious. You have to be pretty damn sneaky to use it for anything other than creep farming. It's basically what this game has instead of witchblading, and it's much more fair than that ever was.

shihonage wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 07:50:
My point was that I miss games which weren't made for idiots (COD/Titanfall), and weren't simplistic, sloppy-coded garbage(Tribes:Ascend). They had multiple paths to victory, which suffocated hackers even with working aimbots.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2014, 09:44.

33. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 08:19 Bucky

I'm having a lot of fun with the game; no performance issues (though I'm on a beast of a machine) and I haven't seen any cheaters. I think people cry cheat, especially in this game, when it's really just a good player combined with an especially good burn card (Active Radar Pulses or compete mini-map vision). That, and far too many people are still playing this game like any of the other modern military shooters--if you're walking around on the ground and peeking around corners you are an easy kill. Get wall running, get up high, and never stop moving.

As for the smart pistol, the only version that's BS is the Amped Smart Pistol burn card, because then it's a two-shot pilot kill instead of three. Otherwise, given equally skilled players, the smart pistol will lose in a heads up fight. If you were killed without ever seeing the other player, then he would have killed you anyway with a different gun because he had better position. I use the Smart Pistol when I want to minion farm, either because I have an XP burn card or to get my first Titan quicker than usual.

32. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 08:02 peteham

Having a lot of fun with Titanfall. First online FPS I've played in ages. I have no idea how the scoring really works though. I feel like I'm doing well enough most of the time, rarely dying, but I'm apparently not racking up points anyway 'cause I'm usually middle to last, especially in attrition. Maybe I'm simply not finding enough grunt spawn clusters. I do better on hardpoint domination, which is what I've played the most of so far.

The matchmaking is piss poor at the moment, though. This was especially bad during the campaign, where there's the added complication of having to lock players into factions. I soldiered through once, just to unlock the two additional titans, but I don't think I played a single balanced match. One team would always have more players than the other, and/or higher leveled players. That doesn't necessarily translate to skill but frankly, the odds of a level 5 player being better than a level 20-25 player (who additionally has things like extended mags and burncards a-plenty) aren't great..

So yeah, there's that. Also, the story-telling of the campaign was awful in itself. It just added delay to games with chatter you couldn't catch anyway, because you'll be too busy setting up load-outs between games early on to really pay attention. And for the game itself, you'll be far more preoccupied with shooting (or getting shot at) to care. I caught the 1 minute summary and YouTube, and turns out I didn't miss much. But this is why the game is taking up a rather large percentage of my SSD? Great I hope there's a patch to nuke the excess audio at some point.

Also wish there was a way to fire up your own passworded game just to have a chance to look at the maps without being gunned down. A few years back, being able to do this in a game was a given, but not in the world of matchmaking I guess. The maps are quite large and intricate, with multi-story buildings, parkour routes, ziplines, basements, you name it. I don't even think I've seen all of them yet, since the matchmaking doesn't let you choose. I'm mostly just running in a straight line taking whatever route comes up, for the time being. You can easily tell the players who've had enough games to get a deeper sense of the levels from the rest, as they'll know which doorways people are likely to emerge from etc. and will generally see you before you see them. For the same reason, I'd like the ability to join games as a spectator and pick up some tricks, so I didn't have to drag my team down by effectively having one player less while I spec from the grave (waiting to respawn is the only time you can spec in the game, as far as I know?).

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2014, 08:12.

31. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 07:50 shihonage

I'm pretty good at Tribes, have been there since beta, and score on top of the team pretty much every day.

I'm also well-aware of all the hacks floating around, and just how widespread they are. I could go into detail on where you could find proof of this, but I won't.

I don't "cry hax" because I suck, but because I've seen aimbots ruin clans in Unreal Tournament 2004, because I've seen people hack in Tribes, including teleporting other players around the map at will, hacked rate of fire on weapons, you name it.

Titanfall is just another easily hackable game with dull, hitscan weapons, and there are already aimbots out for it.

My point was that I miss games which weren't made for idiots (COD/Titanfall), and weren't simplistic, sloppy-coded garbage(Tribes:Ascend). They had multiple paths to victory, which suffocated hackers even with working aimbots. Quake Wars was such a game. It died an undeserving death.

Another such game was Tribes 1 with Shifter mods. Unprecedented.

30. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 07:42 Trevellian

"I suck at the game and im going to cry hacks." That's all I got out of the last few posts. Keep making up excuses for yourselves. There will always be someone better than you. Especially people who have been playing COD for years and are already used to the aiming mechanics in this game because of it. Get over it. I place in the top 3 almost 75% of my games played (this is a stat you can look up in game BTW) and probably about 30% of those placings were MVP. In all that time I have MAYBE been suspicious of ONE person for hacking. But apparently you guys run into them regularly. I find that incredibly difficult to believe.

If you don't like the game. That's fine. Don't like it. But dont make up bullshit like "everyone else is hacking" because you suck as a reason to give to other people. Its pretty pathetic. And this isn't the only game I've seen people do this with here. Just stop.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

29. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 16, 2014, 06:59 shihonage

I got sick of all the DLL injectors and .INI hacks in Tribes: Ascend. You never know who's a scumbag with a rate-of-fire or sparkly player cheat or hitbox cheat or whatnot...

Bought Titanfall to try something new. It plays just like the FPS I hate - Call of Duty series. You get killed in 0.2 seconds by someone who may or may not be using a hitscan aimbot.

_______

Quake Wars' mechs felt better than those in Titanfall. They also looked magnificent and handled better. They even had a prone mode. And Quake Wars had jetpacks, like Tribes. Quake Wars' depth of mechanics always kept cheaters at bay, just because the game wasn't simple enough to be easily exploitable.

It was my perfect online FPS. I mourn its demise. Oh, how I mourn it.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo