Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled

Valve sends along an image of the redesigned Steam Controller, showing an array of buttons in the area formerly occupied by the touch screen display. They say they will be giving hands on demonstrations of this at the upcoming Game Developers Conference.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

10. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 22:44 HorrorScope

Hopefully the next design the right coffee warmer is replaced with a roller ball.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 22:39 Simon Says

Most intuitive and performance oriented design would be 2 analogs + 1 d-pad on front. 2 analog triggers on top, then one button for each of the remaining 6 fingers placed ergonomically under the pad, 3 on each side.

And maybe a start and select button or something on top.

I still wonder why they never made such an obviously superior design yet. Probably fearing backlash over breaking away from traditional less intuitive, but more widely practiced with, diamond shaped 4 button groups on top.

Having played with a Gravis X-terminator back then, I must say, the buttons on the underside were a godsend...

8. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 22:15 DangerDog

They should stay with traditional D-pad design, no easy way to do a diagonal push with buttons.  

7. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 22:14 Mangrove

It looks like an ant's face. I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord interface.  

6. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 21:41 PHJF

It's probably only meant for menu navigation.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 21:33 SS

I'm a little concerned about the D-pad buttons though. I cant imagine a fighting game would work well on those.  

4. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 21:21 jdreyer

SS wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 20:12:
Yeah this design looks a lot better

Looks more conventional, at any rate. Not sure what they were thinking trying to put a touchscreen that you'd have to operate with your thumbs. At least now, you can operate the controller without having to look down at it.

Although I sound down on it, I'm not at all. I think it's a pretty cool design, and can't wait to try it out sitting on my sofa.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 20:49 Quboid

I would have liked to have seen where the touch screen system would have gone, what would have been done with it. It's fairly generic now but in truth, it looks a lot better. The new pads seem like the only new idea there, I hope they make mouse emulation more practical.  

- Quboid

2. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 20:18 ViRGE

Well I guess I can't be surprised that they're using the one layout that no one else has used yet: both sticks above, and the buttons down below. It certainly won't be confused with an XB1/PS4/WiiU controller.

That said, the lack of a D-pad seems to be a pretty big oversight. There's a reason why controllers have those buttons on a hard cross, as opposed to making them separate buttons. They're meant to be easy to shift among.

1. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 20:12 SS

Yeah this design looks a lot better  

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo