Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled

Valve sends along an image of the redesigned Steam Controller, showing an array of buttons in the area formerly occupied by the touch screen display. They say they will be giving hands on demonstrations of this at the upcoming Game Developers Conference.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 16, 2014, 12:59 Agent.X7

Blackhawk wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 23:16:
Tomorrow's news: Valve gets a cease-and-desist from Microsoft for using their color/labeling scheme.

Maybe if MS didn't crib it directly from Nintendo in the first place.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 19:27 Ladron3dfx

Steam Controller in Windows
I can not get the device to function as a gamepad in Windows.

Steam controller FAQ
Can I use a controller if I donít have a Steam machine?
Yes. Itíll work very well with any version of Steam.

IGN.com
The Steam Controller is compatible with both Steam Machine and PCs running Steam. Though the controller can be used to play non-Steam games on PC, functionality is very limited.

IGN.com article
Without Steam, if you plug this into one of those devices and run some game thatís not part of Steam, you would only get the most basic functionality. It wouldnít actually be very valuable as a controlling device.

ďIt would basically be a mouse with 16 buttons,Ē Coomer added.

Developed for PC Steam. Wink

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2014, 19:45.

Steamworks

28. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 18:35 Jerykk

The Dual Shock has had four buttons for their D-Pad since forever. Works fine. 99% of games basically use the D-Pad as buttons anyway.  

27. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 16:30 jdreyer

deqer wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 10:35:
Suppa7 wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 05:01:
Man the dpad should be a dpad, not buttons. Valve are idiots.
Wouldn't buttons be the same as dpad, but better? Since they are buttons, it would be easier/better to use them as a dpad.

The buttons are positioned close enough to eachother that you thumb can use them as a dpad. Your thumb can still press top and left buttons do a top-left angle.

It increases the lifetime of the dpad. Pressing left will still go left, where as a worn out dpad would sometimes go up-left, or down-left.

Valve is smart for doing this, because they know a dpad can be worn out over time and become loose.

I don't think you can replace a d-pad with four buttons. They feel and are used completely differently. That being said, I almost never use my d-pad so this doesn't really matter to me much.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

26. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 16:29 jdreyer

JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 05:09:
This whole project is a waste of time, effort, and money. Give it up already and spend the resources elsewhere.

Completely disagree. I'm glad someone is making a serious effort to redesign a controller from the ground up. I think this in innovative and can't wait to try one. Will it fail? It might, but without experimentation and risk there can be no progress.

25. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 11:53 HorrorScope

They get that DX to OGL wrapper working really well... now they got serious content.  

24. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 11:10 theyarecomingforyou

JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 05:09:
This whole project is a waste of time, effort, and money. Give it up already and spend the resources elsewhere.
Valve isn't beholden to shareholders - it is free to spend money as it sees fit. Personally I think this is a great move and I look forward to getting hold of one of these. More importantly, it's critical to Valve's move into the console market with Steam Machines.

From my perspective I'd agree that a d-pad would be the more logical choice. The touchscreen is neither here-nor-there - it could be a good idea but I can certainly understand why it was dropped; cost was probably a factor.

Price is going to be critical with this. Hopefully it won't end up costing £50 like the PS4 controller, though I'm happy to buy it regardless.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

23. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 11:06 Xanthaz

Huh...I don't get it. Where am I supposed to plug my mouse and keyboard into this?  

22. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 10:35 deqer

Suppa7 wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 05:01:
Wouldn't buttons be the same as dpad, but better? Since they are buttons, it would be easier/better to use them as a dpad.

The buttons are positioned close enough to eachother that you thumb can use them as a dpad. Your thumb can still press top and left buttons do a top-left angle.

It increases the lifetime of the dpad. Pressing left will still go left, where as a worn out dpad would sometimes go up-left, or down-left.

Valve is smart for doing this, because they know a dpad can be worn out over time and become loose.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2014, 10:40.

21. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 06:36 Jerykk

I don't think it's necessarily a waste of time, effort or money. M/KB is not ideal for every genre and if Valve can create a gamepad that's better than current ones, that's great.  

20. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 05:09 JohnBirshire

19. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 05:01 Suppa7

18. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 03:01 netnerd85

Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 23:00:
And Half-Life 3 is where?
Who cares unless they go back to Black Mesa

17. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 01:52 jdreyer

Mangrove wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 22:14:
It looks like an ant's face. I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord interface.

Ant does, too. Unfortunately, the minimum proc requirement is a Pentium III, so Ant can't use it.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2014, 01:11 Breadman86

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 00:27:
HAH, sorry, but I fucking called it on the button layout when they first showed a picture of it

I forgive you.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2014, 00:27 The Half Elf

HAH, sorry, but I fucking called it on the button layout when they first showed a picture of it  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2014, 00:16 Mashiki Amiketo

Blackhawk wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 23:16:
Tomorrow's news: Valve gets a cease-and-desist from Microsoft for using their color/labeling scheme.
They better go after Nintendo then...you know from back before MS got in the game.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

13. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 23:16 Blackhawk

12. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 23:00 Cutter

And Half-Life 3 is where?

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

11. Re: Into the Black Mar 14, 2014, 22:48 NegaDeath

That's better. I do think they should put a touch screen in the middle again. It was a good idea, just not as a replacement for the industry standard primary buttons. Put a smaller touchscreen where the steam icon and start/select/whatever buttons are so you can do some hotkey customization.  

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo