Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released

Frontier Developments has released the Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 for all backers and purchasers of Elite: Dangerous, the latest prerelease installment in the upcoming space combat remake. As demonstrated in a new tutorial video, this adds docking to the game. Here's word: "After successfully proving out the moment to moment combat gameplay, and multiplayer technology in Alpha phases one and two respectively, phase three starts to move towards building out the game by adding docking, an early version of hyperspace jumps between multiple locations and ship outfitting within an iconic Coriolis space station. Once successfully docked in the station – a notoriously difficult skill to master in the original Elite – Elite: Dangerous Alpha phase three offers progression where players can use their honest profit or ill-gotten gains from their in-game actions to improve their ship."

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

13. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 22:40 jdreyer

Speaking of space games, I usually post this or send it to Blue:

Josh's monthly update on Limit Theory.

Josh is finally getting satisfied with where the engine is at and is starting to work on ship design, UI, and gameplay elements.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 22:08 Parias

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 21:27:
Sho wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 20:31:
Yeah, Star Citizen can suck it for now - all the real actual gameplay ED keeps showing looks great.

Not sure it's an either/or proposition. Both look great, and I'm sure both teams are looking at each other's stuff and inspiring each other with design and competitive spirit.

Exactly - I like the look of both games and will get and enjoy both for different reasons. Definitely approve of the progress these guys are making in particular though.

11. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 21:55 Optional Nickname!

So far, this new Elite looks way better than Mostly Harmless.  

10. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 21:39 DangerDog

Backer of both but I'm liking what Elite Dangerous is showing more so than what Star Citizen has shown so far.  

9. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 21:29 Sho

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 21:27:
Yeah, Star Citizen can suck it for now - all the real actual gameplay ED keeps showing looks great.

Not sure it's an either/or proposition. Both look great, and I'm sure both teams are looking at each other's stuff and inspiring each other with design and competitive spirit.

I can't argue with that reasonable stance; I guess I didn't feel much like reason tonight :). I'm a backer of both, but currently somewhat oversatiated on Star Citizen and was basically armchair ranting.

8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 21:27 jdreyer

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

7. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 21:23 Wildone

SC better really manage all those teams and lofty ideas well or it just wont come together, been on many projects with pie in the sky ideas and when reality hits it aint pretty. But they are a talented bunch..  

6. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 21:17 1badmf

don't get too uppity - scott manley, a youtuber replied to my comment about space flight, said there were some artificial restrictions on zero-g movement. specifically that the slower your straight line speed is, the slower your rotational speed is allowed to be. he said it was a gameplay restriction, but i don't see the point, having played many 6dof games myself.

also, star citizen DFM will be out in a month.

5. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 21:12 SpectralMeat

Quboid wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 20:45:
for all backers and purchasers

Does this mean it's not just for the several hundred dollar people?
No this is for the Alpha backers, maybe by "purchasers" they mean people that weren't backing this during the kickstarter phase but bought the Alpha package from their store.

I am thinking of buying into the Premium beta phase, but it is a lot of money though. Believe it comes with the DLC pack for the full game but still I am not sure I want to drop that kind of money on this game even though I really want to play it.
Might have to wait and just watch youtube videos until the game comes out.

Steam: SpectralMeat

4. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 20:45 Quboid

for all backers and purchasers

Does this mean it's not just for the several hundred dollar people?

- Quboid

3. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 20:40 Hump

why oh why does this beta have to be so expensive?

I want this so badly.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

2. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 20:31 Sho

1. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 20:27 SpectralMeat

That looks so fucking awesome
I can't wait for this game!

Steam: SpectralMeat

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo