Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released

Frontier Developments has released the Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 for all backers and purchasers of Elite: Dangerous, the latest prerelease installment in the upcoming space combat remake. As demonstrated in a new tutorial video, this adds docking to the game. Here's word: "After successfully proving out the moment to moment combat gameplay, and multiplayer technology in Alpha phases one and two respectively, phase three starts to move towards building out the game by adding docking, an early version of hyperspace jumps between multiple locations and ship outfitting within an iconic Coriolis space station. Once successfully docked in the station a notoriously difficult skill to master in the original Elite Elite: Dangerous Alpha phase three offers progression where players can use their honest profit or ill-gotten gains from their in-game actions to improve their ship."

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 16, 2014, 08:42 SpectralMeat

jdreyer wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 16:25:
All that crap about "will be met with lethal force" was stupid. Love everything else though.
I hope they will replace that voice also that woman's voice is pretty annoying, but hopefully it was jut for the tutorial.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 16, 2014, 05:21 Flo

Looks like they have an extremely solid development process in place. Thinking about going for the 100 bucks beta when it's available...  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

31. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 15, 2014, 16:25 jdreyer

All that crap about "will be met with lethal force" was stupid. Love everything else though.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 15, 2014, 14:29 SpectralMeat

Task wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 11:52:
Pretty impressive that they seem to have the illusion of physics working. Looks cool how you have to align your ship as a station rotates, and when you are inside of it you are then affected by its artificial gravity as it rotates.

I had to cringe in that video below, watching that person had no idea how to use a joystick in a 3D plane. I suppose that's what it looks like when I play certain console games, since I suck with console controllers.
Yeah that person in that video looked like she was pretty new to these type of games. Flying at max speed while looking at the side monitors etc.
Flying with the joystick will take a bit of getting used to that's for sure. I haven't used that thing for years.

29. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 15, 2014, 12:45 Creston

Julio wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 08:08:
El Pit wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 03:17:
I thinks Roberts is already nervous because of what Braben has already released.

I think Roberts is fine, the cash keeps rolling in. Worst case he can rename it "SimHangar".

*snorts water all over keyboard*

28. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 15, 2014, 11:52 Task

Pretty impressive that they seem to have the illusion of physics working. Looks cool how you have to align your ship as a station rotates, and when you are inside of it you are then affected by its artificial gravity as it rotates.

I had to cringe in that video below, watching that person had no idea how to use a joystick in a 3D plane. I suppose that's what it looks like when I play certain console games, since I suck with console controllers.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2014, 12:11.

27. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 15, 2014, 08:08 SpectralMeat

Some off screen gameplay, docking, outfitting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKU8fDwoFgo

26. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 15, 2014, 08:08 Julio

El Pit wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 03:17:
I thinks Roberts is already nervous because of what Braben has already released.

I think Roberts is fine, the cash keeps rolling in. Worst case he can rename it "SimHangar".

25. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 15, 2014, 03:45 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 02:59:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 22:50:
This has been making progress significantly faster than Star Citizen. Elite already has the cockpit, combat and docking implemented. We're still waiting on combat from Star Citizen. Hopefully SC doesn't end up being a poorly managed disaster ala Duke Forever.

I think the internet would just melt if that happened. The anger would be as from the Gods.

Yeah, I'd be out a few bucks, but you know, shit happens. If they fail, I worry about people who have 100s or 1000s of dollars in it. Roberts would have to enter a witness protection program or something.

24. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 15, 2014, 03:17 El Pit

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 02:59:
This has been making progress significantly faster than Star Citizen. Elite already has the cockpit, combat and docking implemented. We're still waiting on combat from Star Citizen. Hopefully SC doesn't end up being a poorly managed disaster ala Duke Forever.

I think the internet would just melt if that happened. The anger would be as from the Gods.

I thinks Roberts is already nervous because of what Braben has already released. He might consider working another six months on his dogfight module and add office coffee machines to the hangar module instead to appease his backers because of the next delay.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

23. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 15, 2014, 02:59 Creston

22. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 15, 2014, 02:57 Creston

I will again say it, I was extremely skeptical of Braben when he did his Kickstarter, and quite frankly even thought he was just scamming people.

But the stuff they are putting out is extremely impressive looking, and I will be more than happy to eat crow and buy a copy at full price when it comes out.

21. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 15, 2014, 00:14 Vazz

This looks fantastic. Some people might not care about features like this but to me it's these little extra details that really help you feel immersed in the game. Immersion is a big part of games like this for me.  

20. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 23:36 Quboid

Needs more antialiasing at 0:35. No good, scrap it all!

This is the first non-combat clip I've seen from Elite. I hope there's more, longer ones that also don't focus on combat - if there are any more, let me know. It looks very nice but if there's no shortcut it will get boring eventually. These sequences always do.

I've no idea which will be better, Elite or Star Citizen. I'm just sitting back saving my money and hoping they both rock.

- Quboid

19. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 23:18 Cutter

Mangrove wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 22:43:
Very cool. Love the little docking assist hologram on the dash.

Yeah, that is really sweet. Love the bobblehead on the dash too.

I'd love to get in on this but he's asking way too much.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 23:17 Cutter

1badmf wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 21:17:
also, star citizen DFM will be out in a month.

Yeah, everyone will believe that when they see it. Don't be surprised if there's another several months long delay for whatever reasons Roberts makes up.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 22:51 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 22:40:
Speaking of space games, I usually post this or send it to Blue:

Josh's monthly update on Limit Theory.

Josh is finally getting satisfied with where the engine is at and is starting to work on ship design, UI, and gameplay elements.

Yeah this one is looking pretty special to.

16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 22:50 Jerykk

15. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 22:43 jdreyer

Sho wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 21:29:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 21:27:
Sho wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 20:31:
Yeah, Star Citizen can suck it for now - all the real actual gameplay ED keeps showing looks great.

Not sure it's an either/or proposition. Both look great, and I'm sure both teams are looking at each other's stuff and inspiring each other with design and competitive spirit.

I can't argue with that reasonable stance; I guess I didn't feel much like reason tonight :). I'm a backer of both, but currently somewhat oversatiated on Star Citizen and was basically armchair ranting.

Yeah, I hear that. We get 10x the amount of SC news, pretty easy to get sick of it. The games are largely equivalent, so it's kind of annoying we don't hear about Elite more often. I guess C. Roberts just likes to toot his own horn a lot. I'm definitely looking forward to both games though.

14. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 22:43 Mangrove

Very cool. Love the little docking assist hologram on the dash.  

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo