Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters

Respawn tweets that they are on the case if you are encountering cheating in Titanfall, their just-released mech shooter: "Finding cheaters in Titanfall? So are we. We're logging them now and they will be rooted out shortly." They enlighten one newb on what constitutes cheating: "Using aimbots and such! Normal users won't have to worry." Thanks VG247 via MP1st.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 23:13 NewMaxx

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 20:31:
No I didn't think it is you I just find it interesting how people get off on this shit.
It is not like they are pwning anyone but themselves into thinking they are good.

I'm pretty good at PS2 and what I'll see happen is people I beat will sometimes create a character on my side just so they can team-kill and harass me. These are the kind of people I can see cheating if they had the opportunity. What pleasure do they get by team-killing and harassment? They realize if they can't get me legitimately, they can at least make the game miserable for me by hitting me from a direction where I have little escape (if I retaliate, I become as bad as them). Cheating is pretty similar...retaliation is impossible and it ruins the game for other people. They're trolling.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 20:31 SpectralMeat

No I didn't think it is you I just find it interesting how people get off on this shit.
It is not like they are pwning anyone but themselves into thinking they are good.
I do play plenty of MP fps games but haven't run into too many cheaters.
I am not the greatest player anyways so I wouldn't know if someone that is kicking my ass is cheating or just simply that much better than I am

Steam: SpectralMeat

50. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 20:25 HorrorScope

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 10:23:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 10:15:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 09:41:
Does ruining the game for others brings joy and happiness to the cheater?

Isn't it boring to just mow down players one after another?

1. Yes.
2. No.

Interesting

This is news? People don't think there are people out there that just love pwning others? Or if your thinking that is me, I'm just answering the questions as on what they get out of it. I hardly ever even play PvP games, coop'r mostly.

49. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 20:22 Agent.X7

IF you are encountering cheaters. LOL. It's not IF. Every game I have played so far has had at least one guy cheating his ass off. It's pretty obvious stuff - speedhacks and aimbot. Nothing like being repeatedly headshot across the map with the sub gun.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

48. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 16:41 Beelzebud

Get bent! Haven't heard that since I played Sin in 1998.  

47. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 16:25 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 14:26:

Have you tried the AIX mod for BF2? It's so awesome: new maps, new vehicles, new BOT AI, etc. So much fun.

Oh yeah! It is amazing.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

46. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 14:26 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 14:17:
Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 11:15:
Honestly, I don't know why companies like ea and Activision aren't hunting down the companies ...and specifically the PEOPLE being paid to provide hacks. They should have legal grounds to do so, as it subverts the original design of their software. Maybe that's where it'll eventually end up, but for now, banning the cheaters solves nothing. It's like scolding a drug addict and believing that'll stop the illegal drug trade.

The funny thing is that the community does a pretty good job of addressing things itself when it has the tools but the companies keep taking away more and more control. Activision/etc can't really sue the companies providing the hacks, many are in foreign countries and new ones will spring up to replace old ones quickly.

This is the number one reason I stopped buying mp shooters. I suck at them to begin with; at least when there are client-side tools I can set up co-op servers against bots and enjoy it. I still am playing BF2 and BF2142 (with co-op mod), but I'll never touch a modern BF.

Have you tried the AIX mod for BF2? It's so awesome: new maps, new vehicles, new BOT AI, etc. So much fun.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

45. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 14:24 Ryan Lange

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 10:53:
Honestly, I don't know why companies like ea and Activision aren't hunting down the companies ...and specifically the PEOPLE being paid to provide hacks. They should have legal grounds to do so...

Depends on where the seller is located. International law can be tricky, even for governments. You'd have to either sue within their jurisdiction, or try to get the U.S. government to extradite the offender the U.S. so that you can try them over here. Even then, the Internet make things muddy. Extradition would only be an option if the crime was committed in the U.S., which you would be hard pressed to prove convincingly in the case of a cheat seller located in another country.

Also, none of that's probably worth the trouble for what amounts to a ToS violation.

44. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 14:21 Cutter

nin wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 13:57:
C'mon Cutter. You know that profits are for hookers and blow, not hackers and trolls.

BOATS N HOS!

The Nina? The Pinta? The Santa Maria?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

43. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 14:17 Prez

Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 11:15:
Honestly, I don't know why companies like ea and Activision aren't hunting down the companies ...and specifically the PEOPLE being paid to provide hacks. They should have legal grounds to do so, as it subverts the original design of their software. Maybe that's where it'll eventually end up, but for now, banning the cheaters solves nothing. It's like scolding a drug addict and believing that'll stop the illegal drug trade.

The funny thing is that the community does a pretty good job of addressing things itself when it has the tools but the companies keep taking away more and more control. Activision/etc can't really sue the companies providing the hacks, many are in foreign countries and new ones will spring up to replace old ones quickly.

This is the number one reason I stopped buying mp shooters. I suck at them to begin with; at least when there are client-side tools I can set up co-op servers against bots and enjoy it. I still am playing BF2 and BF2142 (with co-op mod), but I'll never touch a modern BF.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

42. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 14:10 Ryan Lange

For a lot of them, even most? Probably. Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People.

41. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 13:57 nin

jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 13:51:
Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 13:09:
JayDeath wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 10:11:
This is the number one reason why I'm kinda done with the multiplayer FPS genre. It seems none of these companies can get a handle on the hacking. I'm sick of it.

That's it in a nutshell. It's why I don't bother anymore. Any what's really offensive it's not like these companies can't afford to actually do things about it. Making a billion or close to it and they don't take hax seriously, much less even release a finished product. Couple that with no private servers, modding ability, community maps, etc. and I am definitely out.

C'mon Cutter. You know that profits are for hookers and blow, not hackers and trolls.

BOATS N HOS!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

40. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 13:56 4D-Boxing

Well said, the community does a good job addressing issues. Since plain deathmatch is hard to find, I reinstalled and play the old CoD4 just for that. With old school dedicates servers and I see less chewing than in recent MP titles such bf3 &4. I would think that the old school approach would be cheaper on top of offering a better experience at least on my end.

Yeah its all been said before and probe besides the point but I'm sick of seeing gaming go backwards. Removing basic features is now modernization. Someone needs to release an old school fps that way the new generation of gamers won't fall for all the hype. I ve had 20 year olds poke fun at my server browser comments by saying I'm old and can't adapt to the modern tech just like old folks crying the start menus I win8 lol..

39. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 13:51 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 13:09:
This is the number one reason why I'm kinda done with the multiplayer FPS genre. It seems none of these companies can get a handle on the hacking. I'm sick of it.

That's it in a nutshell. It's why I don't bother anymore. Any what's really offensive it's not like these companies can't afford to actually do things about it. Making a billion or close to it and they don't take hax seriously, much less even release a finished product. Couple that with no private servers, modding ability, community maps, etc. and I am definitely out.

Cheaters are one of the many reasons I prefer bot matches, either single player or coop with a few people I know.

38. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 13:24 NewMaxx

descender wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 13:01:
I'm trying to not confuse hitboxes with hit-detection. Hit detection in PS2 is heavily weighted towards client-side. They have even stated that their target "latency" is 150ms. You end up with latency issues reminiscent of playing Quakeworld over a modem. I've played enough of the game to know that aiming at the guy you want to kill is the quickest way to end up dead. Most 1v1 firefights end up with either one player having not taken any damage, or both players dead. That's just bad design from the ground up.

Oh, I absolutely agree. I can't tell you how many times I've died behind cover a good 100-200ms after I've reached it by a bullet that was fired but not yet seen. The time-to-kill (TTK) in PS2 is fairly quick like most twitch games, but it's still a bit higher than the main shooters to compensate for this lag.

As you say, it's client-side: if you kill a guy on your screen, he dies regardless of where he actually is on his. PS2 also lacks collision mechanics for players. The reasons for both are the same: server performance. The utter scale of PS2 battles means you have to do it that way or the server would be crippled. So, really, in smaller-scale fights you can often get acceptable client performance, the hit detection is mostly an issue in certain areas with certain populations and is a necessary evil.

Again, though, I agree with you largely, I hate the close quarters combat (CQC) aspect of PS2. Then again, I tend to be a sneaky support player so I tend to either avoid those situations completely or, if I can't, I make sure I have every advantage and it's never a question of relying on the game offering equal footing. I guess you could argue that's playing around a shortcoming but they do work to improve it on a weekly basis.

37. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 13:23 jdreyer

How can cheating can be fun for anyone?
The cheater just cheats himself into thinking he is a good player but he actually sucks balls, while ruining the game for others.

Isn't it boring to just mow down players one after another without actually playing the game properly? The cheater just ruin the whole fun of the game for himself. No suspense, no adrenalin rush, no satisfaction. I don't get it.

Certainly psychopathy plays a roll? For example, recent studies show that trolls are sociopaths with sadistic tendencies: they take pleasure in causing others pain and frustration. It's probably the same deal for online cheaters? Here's an article about an admitted cheater.

36. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 13:09 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

35. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 13:01 descender

I'm trying to not confuse hitboxes with hit-detection. Hit detection in PS2 is heavily weighted towards client-side. They have even stated that their target "latency" is 150ms. You end up with latency issues reminiscent of playing Quakeworld over a modem. I've played enough of the game to know that aiming at the guy you want to kill is the quickest way to end up dead. Most 1v1 firefights end up with either one player having not taken any damage, or both players dead. That's just bad design from the ground up.

Every game engine handles hit-detection differently. Frostbite does a pretty decent job, but it seems a bit rigid and doesn't handle moment to moment fluxuations in ping well. Very rarely do issues like this creep up in Source games (tf2/cs/l4d). If I had to guess, the MP networking system is the only reason they licenced Source for Titanfall in the first place. It obviously wasn't for graphical fidelity.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2014, 13:12.

34. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 12:58 Beamer

Scottyl42 wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 12:22:
Cheating? I didn't know anyone was playing this game

#1 best selling game on Amazon (Xbone) and #5 (PC Download.)

I don't think this is the success people wanted, which is just my guess due to its reviews coming in more around the "great but lacking features" rather than "EVERYONE NEEDS THIS GAME NOW!," but it's doing well.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 12:48 NewMaxx

descender wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 11:19:
I love the guys below saying that PS2 has no hackers. How could you hack in a game with such piss poor hit detection in the first place?

As a PS2 player myself, I can say that hacking is actually pretty much a non-issue. I have come across a cheater or two, but in all but one case they were rapidly neutralized and in that final case it's possible the guy was legit. In fact, most PS2 cheaters have to under-perform in order to avoid detection, and it rarely works...just the other week I saw one of the developers (they play the game) locate and destroy a cheater before banning him. The game has a lot of issues but cheating/hacking isn't one of them.

Hit detection in PS2 is actually fairly regimented...it's just that it's not what you would expect. For example, the head hitboxes are larger than the model, and sometimes patches mess up resistance values and the like, but in general it has remained consistent because the hardcore players demand it (they've "learned the hitboxes"). What you probably mean is that the delay factor due to the client-server relationship makes it seem like the hitboxes suck, but actually that is predictable, too. One of the skills needed for the game is the ability to shoot before you expect someone to be there.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo