Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We had some warmer weather the past week or so, and much, but not all, of our backlogged snow is finally gone. It's really cold today, however, and checking the forecast, I see it calls for a chance of snow Sunday night. For the record, that will be six weeks to the day from Groundhog Day, making this winter a Kobayashi Maru for Punxsutawney Phil and other furry forecasters, as their binary choice does not allow an option for "more than six weeks of winter remaining."

Furry Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Rescuenator.
Bazooka Boy - Level Pack.
Link: 3D Printed GLaDOS Arm Lamp. Thanks reddit.
Stories: 'Game of Thrones' team: 7 seasons is the plan.
Adopted Mich. puppy saves his new family.
Navy ship almost hits gray whales off coast of Dana Point.
Science: Rare Diamond Reveals Earth's Interior is All Wet.
Media: Cave Quest.
Impatient doggy diva blasts horn for 15 minutes as she waits for her owner.
Fighter vomits after opponent FARTS on him.
Follow-up: The scale of the search for Flight MH370. Thanks Digg.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2014, 08:08 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 16:46:
1) Get a hybrid HD/SSD.
I didn't even know such a beast existed, interesting. I'll have to look them up.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 19:14 Cutter

Beamer wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 18:10:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 18:03:
Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 11:37:
Game of Thrones team, you may want to let George RR Martin know that he needs to write more then.

I wonder how they're going to explain the age of Bran, Arya, Sansa, and Rickon. They'll have to change the timeline, I guess.

I'd enjoy if, at some point, they forked the series off from the books.

I think there's enough forking in the books as it is.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 18:10 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 18:03:
Game of Thrones team, you may want to let George RR Martin know that he needs to write more then.

I wonder how they're going to explain the age of Bran, Arya, Sansa, and Rickon. They'll have to change the timeline, I guess.

I'd enjoy if, at some point, they forked the series off from the books.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 18:03 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 17:22 Atomic

Here is a great utility that does that for you.

http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

I keep about 8 or so games on my SSD that I'm currently playing, and keep the others on a 500GB HD. I'll move them across when I want to play them.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 17:04 Killswitch

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 15:50:
Instead of reinstalling games over and over, it'd simply be faster to have a program that lets me cache folders to the SSD.

You could copy the game folder from one drive to another and then use the mklink command to create a virtual link to the SSD.

http://www.maketecheasier.com/move-a-steam-game/

I guess you would have to either type that command upon every reboot or create a batch file and put it in your startup folder.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 17:02 Fion

Game of thrones 7 seasons? That seems unlikely. Since book 3 is split between 2 seasons (with some of book 4 in this upcoming season), they'll likely want to condense book 4 and 5 into one (since for those that don't know, each book only delt with half of the characters), but condensing 2 1000+ page books into 12 episodes? That means a huge volume of condensed content.

This also means that the show will very rapidly catch up to the books. One more year to hit the end of book 5 (and the 5th season) and then a single year to get book 7 out, which I expect is going to be a massive novel, as there are an insane amount of stories to tie up neatly.

Their only other option really is to wait. Martin normally takes 4-6 years per book. It took 20 years to make the first 5 of 7. I'd expect book 6 to hit in the next 2 odd years. Now readers are reluctantly patient to get their hands on book 6 and then 7 (likely to hit around 2020). But TV watchers expect serialized seasons that come out yearly.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2014, 17:07.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 16:54 BobBob

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 15:50:
Does it still sound silly?

Yes, if you have a girlfriend or some kind of love life.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 16:46 Creston

Your desired solution still sounds terribly convoluted. Here are the two easiest options:

1) Get a hybrid HD/SSD.

247) Install games on the HD. Assign it a drive letter in Windows. Turn off PC, yank out HD, install SSD, assign it the same driver letter as the HD had and make sure the data is synchronized. Steam/whatever knows the game is installed on E:, and since the data is still there, it'll work.

But really, just get a hybrid.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 15:50 HoSpanky

Yes, seems silly at first, and if I only had a few games to install, installing directly to the drive would be the better plan.

Now, assume you have 800gb of games that are played at LANs once a month. Only a few each time are played, and they're picked ahead of time. Also, there are other games that I play in between LANs. More than what will fit on an SSD that I am willing to buy. A terabyte SSD is still $600 or more, and I've had two SSDs die on me already. I'm not investing that kind of money in that flaky of hardware.

Instead of reinstalling games over and over, it'd simply be faster to have a program that lets me cache folders to the SSD. This way I can switch games out, without losing save files or having to figure out where each game hides its save files. And should I have a third SSD fail on me...I lose nothing, the base files are still on the HDD. This solution gives me the speed of the SSD and the reliability/space of the HDD.

Does it still sound silly?

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 14:46 Beamer

BobBob wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 12:50:
Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 11:38:
Also, all you guys just need to move to California!

/BobBob.

Well said, sir. It will be 72 F today. This weekend we are looking at the upper 70s and low 80s. A great time for some beach cliff hiking.

The west coast in general.
It's basically been a high in the 50s all of 2014 in Seattle, save a four day burst in January that was down around 34.

The sun is setting at 7:12 pm tonight. It's early March and the sun is setting after 7. On the downside, most of our apartments don't have A/C and it's already over 70 degrees in my apartment naturally. Meaning it may be a long summer.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 14:46 Fantaz

"Fighter vomits after opponent FARTS on him."

imagine what would happen if that man farted on his balls...

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 14:42 Paranoid Jack

The Elder Scrolls Online BETA Keys:

A4HETW3TWPME7WA37LYA

LLFPYYHN4NMCXP597NT5

Here are a couple beta codes for Elder Scrolls Online, these are from GreenManGaming.

Enjoy. This should be the last closed beta before open beta and early access for release.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 14:20 Creston

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 14:03:
Completely off subject, but I'm either an idiot, or just using the wrong words in google to find this...I'm trying to use an SSD for game caching, but not where software determines what to copy to the drive. I want to be able to select entire folders, and have those be cached, so I can put an entire open-world game on the drive, or any game that tends to stream its level data. Normal caching routines would take a LOT of playtime to get all of a game like that cached.
Really, it should be pretty simple. Data being READ would come off the SSD, anything being written goes to the HDD and then copied by the software back to the SSD for later reading. Does this software exist?

I don't know, seems pretty tricky, but I may have a better solution: Just install the game on the SSD. I mean, why on earth do you want it to be written to an HD first and THEN copied to an SSD? What kind of benefit does that bring, exactly?

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 14:17 Creston

BobBob wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 12:50:
Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 11:38:
Also, all you guys just need to move to California!

/BobBob.

Well said, sir. It will be 72 F today. This weekend we are looking at the upper 70s and low 80s. A great time for some beach cliff hiking.

I think I may have mentioned before that you can be a truly unpleasant fellow.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 14:03 HoSpanky

Completely off subject, but I'm either an idiot, or just using the wrong words in google to find this...I'm trying to use an SSD for game caching, but not where software determines what to copy to the drive. I want to be able to select entire folders, and have those be cached, so I can put an entire open-world game on the drive, or any game that tends to stream its level data. Normal caching routines would take a LOT of playtime to get all of a game like that cached.
Really, it should be pretty simple. Data being READ would come off the SSD, anything being written goes to the HDD and then copied by the software back to the SSD for later reading. Does this software exist?

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 13:45 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 13:38:
Another winter like this and I'm moving back.

See you soon neighbor!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 13:41 xXBatmanXx

Steam down? Web page stats won't load an can't get logged back in...

/might just be MPLS - changed to Chicago and got in.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 13:38 Cutter

Yeah, we got dumped on yesterday. Sunsabitches! Looking at the 7 day we're all positives and sunny with the exception of Sunday which will be -5. Everything else will be heading upwards of 11 degrees they say. Holy blue flaming Jesus I sure hope so because I am at the end of my rope with this fucking winter, man. Worst winter on record in over 15 years. I was still living on the west coast the last time it was this shitty. Another winter like this and I'm moving back.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 12:58 BobBob

Dan =0) wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 12:02:
In all seriousness, with my lung / health issues, and the yo-yo-ing of the freaking weather (got snow this morning *shakes fist*) - and in consideration that heading to CA has been something nagging at me since I was 18... I just may do that. Except that I understand their state economy is tanked (unless I'm wrong).

I don't know anymore. Except that I have a music gig to perform tonight, and I need to decongest everything, very quickly.

Sigh.

Dan =0|

If you have lung issues, living near the ocean will help immensely. I have asthma myself. I never get an attack where I live. When I travel to the mid-west or other areas I have to bring an inhaler.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo