Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BAFTA Winners

The winners of BAFTA's British Academy Games Awards have been announced, with Naughty Dog's The Last of Us taking Game of the Year honors. Here's the list off all the winners courtesy of VG247:

• Game of the Year: The Last of Us
  • Action and Adventure: The Last of Us
  • British Game: Grand Theft Auto 5
  • Original Music: BioShock Infinite
  • Story: The Last of Us
  • Strategy and Simulation: Papers, Please
  • Artistic Achievement: Tearaway
  • Audio Achievement: The Last of Us
  • Sports: FIFA 14
  • Family: Tearaway
  • Game Innovation: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  • Mobile & Handheld: Tearaway
  • Ones to Watch: Size DOES Matter
  • Game Design: Grand Theft Auto 5
  • Multiplayer: Grand Theft Auto 5
  • Debut Game: Gone Home
  • Performer: Ashley Johnson The Last of Us

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 14, 2014, 01:38 .Drifter

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 07:50:
.net_Drifter wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 05:30:
Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 19:28:
If it's not available on all platforms it should be a contender to begin with. How is everyone else to judge otherwise?

So, technically, you ARE agreeing with the awards choices, right?
I mean you did say that "if it's not available on all platforms it SHOULD be a contender to begin with" . . .
Unless you left something out . . .
Does that make any sense to you? I thought it was obvious, he meant to say shouldn't not should.

Oh, I knew what he meant, it just tickled my funny bone that one thing was said, yet another argued. That's the reason for the "left something out" which I thought would point out the joke. Guess not.
Funny how an apostrophe and two letters can change a meaning entirely, lol.

That being said, no movie should ever be eligible for Picture of the Year unless it's released on Betamax.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 21:32 Loopy

Beamer wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 02:51:
Fantaz wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 00:58:
the thing about awards is never about if the game is really good or not, it's that someone's getting paid off. it's always rigged.

ViRGE wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 00:17:
PropheT wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 21:26:
The Last of Us is easily the most overrated game I've ever seen. I'm just not sure what people see in it...
TLOU was an interesting movie. It was a terrible game.

sometimes i feel that any game which doesn't use keyboard+mouse is terrible...

So... you think Naughty Dog paid the most for this?

Also, a whole lot of "that game sucks, the game I like is clearly better, but I'm not even going to mention what game that is!" going on.

Actually, it is 100% scientificially proven fact that the game I like is better than The Last of Us because reasons.

38. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 21:27 Loopy

I don't get the sentiment either. A great movie released only in Walla Walla is still a great movie. People don't want to see it? Their loss!

Plus, I hear they'll miss out on some sweet onions or some shit.

37. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 16:59 mch

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 14:55:
Don't be an ass. Yeah, everyone is going to run and drop 300 bucks to play a game. Idiot.

Let's say it was multiplatform (PS3/Xbox360/PC). Please tell me on which of systems it wouldn't cost $300 or more to play when you factor in the cost of the platform. Your comment makes absolutely no sense, and you're complaining for the sake of complaining.

Nice name calling though, good to see you're following the rules of the forum as usual.

PSN: CaseDesignate

36. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 15:04 Beamer

mch wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 10:34:
If it's not available on all platforms it should be a contender to begin with. How is everyone else to judge otherwise?

Hey wow that's really dumb.

To say it's the game of the year when it was unavailable to most people is silly.

It's available to anyone who cares to pay for the video game and the system to play it on. You know, like every video game ever.

Don't be an ass. Yeah, everyone is going to run and drop 300 bucks to play a game. Idiot.

I don't see why everyone needs to play a game for it to win.

Honestly, if a PC exclusive had won I'm guessing you'd have no issue.
I felt Last of Us was overrated and, until you had leveled up a few times, the combat was miserable. But I'm not going to whine that it shouldn't be allowed to win best game because it didn't come out on the Xbox 360, PC, PS4, Android or Atari 2600.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 15:02 nin

mch wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 10:34:

To say it's the game of the year when it was unavailable to most people is silly.

It's available to anyone who cares to pay for the video game and the system to play it on. You know, like every video game ever.

It is a bit of a goofy idea to expect a game to be on every single platform available before it's "eligible".

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

34. removed Mar 13, 2014, 14:55 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 14, 2014, 07:18.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

33. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 13:05 avianflu

"The Last of Us, in my mind at least, did the equivalent of showing you a puppy. See how cute that is? Of course you do, it's a puppy. Now I'm going to do bad things with it, because everyone loves puppies and that's guaranteed to get a response."

Prophet -- that is best comment of the day. The thing is, it worked in terms of the game getting lots of attention. SO there will be more games that do the same thing next year unfortunately.

32. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 10:34 mch

PSN: CaseDesignate

31. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 07:50 SpectralMeat

.net_Drifter wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 05:30:

I mean you did say that "if it's not available on all platforms it SHOULD be a contender to begin with" . . .
Does that make any sense to you? I thought it was obvious, he meant to say shouldn't not should.

Steam: SpectralMeat

30. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 05:30 .Drifter

29. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 04:15 Acleacius

It's the same as hearing the difference between a 12 year old boy and a 30 year old guy. Not only are the voice frequencies different but phrasing and intonations. But whatever.

I could list several movies with 12 year old girls being played by teens. 3am the only one that comes to mind atm is Push, a 14 year old, playing a 12 year old. It's not rated too high but is based on a comic book so not only is it hard to pull off, it's got a niche audience. If you go in thinking of it as an indie or Kickstarter film, it's pretty good work, especially the cinematography. Surely it's available on Netflix or less reputable places.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

28. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 02:51 Beamer

Fantaz wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 00:58:
the thing about awards is never about if the game is really good or not, it's that someone's getting paid off. it's always rigged.

The Last of Us is easily the most overrated game I've ever seen. I'm just not sure what people see in it...

So... you think Naughty Dog paid the most for this?

Also, a whole lot of "that game sucks, the game I like is clearly better, but I'm not even going to mention what game that is!" going on.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 02:37 eRe4s3r

PropheT wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 23:45:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 22:19:
But that point is exactly why these games are so great, to some/many. Last of us has you connect to a character while Papers Please makes you realize that if you sat there, doing that exact job in that situation, you'd become corrupt faster than you can scream "decency" and "never".

All of these games, require you to connect to the situation on a psychological level. And I can fully understand if some people don't like that. I do love it though Maybe you will be converted once full VR is realized, with good "Presence"

The Last of Us, in my mind at least, did the equivalent of showing you a puppy. See how cute that is? Of course you do, it's a puppy. Now I'm going to do bad things with it, because everyone loves puppies and that's guaranteed to get a response. It's like a click-bait article, you lure them in with a guaranteed emotion grabber and then rattle it around to stir them up... it just never holds up later, or if you recognize it and feel scammed in the first place. The intro sequence to the game with Joel's daughter is powerful, but it's cheapened because you know exactly where it's going. The rest of the game isn't any different to me, it's been done before.

I completely understand that that's what they were going for, but my problem is that they feel like that's what they were going for. I have a teenage daughter, I know what it's like to deal with it every day; I didn't like Ellie. I didn't like Joel. It sort of made it impossible to empathize when them or reach the conclusion that the game wanted you to where you were ok with everything because you saw it from their perspective.

Papers, Please does a good job of what it's intending to do. It just isn't a fun game to me, unfortunately. It makes its point, and it's a good one, but it's not much of a game so once you've accepted what that point is there's no real pull to continue.

I don't like games I can't connect to on a psychological level (or emotional, at least). I don't like games, movies, or books with characters I can't empathize with. I'm just not fond of the heavy handed approach to storytelling, and being told what to feel doesn't work for me.

Yeah you make some great points... but unless massive advances in AI happen the characters will never be more than puppies. Gaming is still trying to fumble about with story-telling, it can be done infinitely better than "the last of us".... but the game required to support such a thing would be huge.

Also let me just say, but the portrait of children, emotions and ethics in gaming is still laughable at best, even The walking dead goes too far with the "Puppy Eyes", Clementine is after all, an 11 year old. They could explore infinitely the depths of the human psyche, create an abstracted, yet real feeling character that doesn't just suffer day in and out. But they don't. So while I like these games, I completely understand your point as well. Walking Dead would be infinitely better (imo) if all the daily chores and stuff that HAVE to exist inbetween, were shown and acted and scripted out. Because that is the only way a character becomes real in such a situation.

I didn't like Joel nor Ellie either, I merely liked the story and well, the movie (watched it as Let's play)

Believe me, once VR achieves break-through and you experience true presence in a virtual world, a character in front of you WILL feel human (or whatever) to you. And you will connect to them if they are properly acted out. But that is still in the future. An Ellie that you could interact with, as Avatar that is "you", may respond and act different. That's really the problem with Last of Us in a way, Joel is an unlikeable asshole (imo) and Ellie doesn't seem like a real person. She is too, I don't even know how to put, categorized. It's like someone made a checklist "how to write a teenage girl" and went through it. Ehm... tropeified?

I still think story telling can be done so much better than TLOU. The game might even have profited from MUCH less combat and over-the-top situations. Situations, in which no character could act realistically. Or at least, not in a way we except it.

26. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 00:58 Fantaz

25. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 00:17 ViRGE

24. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 00:16 netnerd85

Wank, wank, wank, wank, wank...  

23. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 00:03 PHJF

The Last of Us is easily the most overrated game I've ever seen. I'm just not sure what people see in it

It's cinematic. Cinematic games are critically acclaimed because they "elevate" games beyond disposable entertainment.

And giving an "artistic achievement" award to anything but Puppeteer is a fucking farce.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 12, 2014, 23:48 Yakubs

Last of Us was a bad game. I progressed through >50% of all the encounters by running like a maniac toward the zone exit at which point all my pursuers would disappear into cutscene limbo, never to return. A classic example of both atrocious game design and also combat/sneaking that was so un-fun that I preferred to skip it entirely.

The "story" was one note dragged out for 8+ hours. They ran out of material after about 2 or 3 hours. The very end where you lie to her is a decent minor twist but at that point anything resembling creativity would have felt incredible.

21. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 12, 2014, 23:45 PropheT

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 22:19:
But that point is exactly why these games are so great, to some/many. Last of us has you connect to a character while Papers Please makes you realize that if you sat there, doing that exact job in that situation, you'd become corrupt faster than you can scream "decency" and "never".

All of these games, require you to connect to the situation on a psychological level. And I can fully understand if some people don't like that. I do love it though Maybe you will be converted once full VR is realized, with good "Presence"

The Last of Us, in my mind at least, did the equivalent of showing you a puppy. See how cute that is? Of course you do, it's a puppy. Now I'm going to do bad things with it, because everyone loves puppies and that's guaranteed to get a response. It's like a click-bait article, you lure them in with a guaranteed emotion grabber and then rattle it around to stir them up... it just never holds up later, or if you recognize it and feel scammed in the first place. The intro sequence to the game with Joel's daughter is powerful, but it's cheapened because you know exactly where it's going. The rest of the game isn't any different to me, it's been done before.

I completely understand that that's what they were going for, but my problem is that they feel like that's what they were going for. I have a teenage daughter, I know what it's like to deal with it every day; I didn't like Ellie. I didn't like Joel. It sort of made it impossible to empathize when them or reach the conclusion that the game wanted you to where you were ok with everything because you saw it from their perspective.

Papers, Please does a good job of what it's intending to do. It just isn't a fun game to me, unfortunately. It makes its point, and it's a good one, but it's not much of a game so once you've accepted what that point is there's no real pull to continue.

I don't like games I can't connect to on a psychological level (or emotional, at least). I don't like games, movies, or books with characters I can't empathize with. I'm just not fond of the heavy handed approach to storytelling, and being told what to feel doesn't work for me.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo