Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio

Respawn has explained to Eurogamer why the Windows installation of Titanfall takes up 48GB of disc space, compared with the 17GB the mech shooter occupies on an Xbox One. Word is this is because the PC edition installs 35GB of uncompressed audio to help save CPU cycles on lower-end systems. "We have audio we either download or install from the disc, then we uncompress it. We probably could have had audio decompress off disc but we were a little worried about min spec and the fact that a two-core machine would dedicate a huge chunk of one core to just decompressing audio," explains Respawn's lead engineer Richard Baker. "So... it's almost all audio... On a higher PC it wouldn't be an issue. On a medium or moderate PC, it wouldn't be an issue, it's that on a two-core [machine] with where our min spec is, we couldn't dedicate those resources to audio."

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

71. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 20:09 eRe4s3r

Quinn wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 18:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 18:09:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 12:51:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 11:23:
The HDD is of course a bottleneck for those old PC's just as much as it is for newer ones... SSD is where it's at. And nobody has an excuse only running 128gb of SSD, when 250 or 500gb are offered for good price nowadays.

Thanks for making buying decisions for me.

Glad to help Maybe you weren't aware, but games are getting bigger.... just saying.

A few years ago I had decided only to have an SSD as a boot-up device aka OS device and not as storage for games. This because I read that SSD's don't handle file deletion and reinstallation well. I want my gaming storage device to be able to handle me deleting games and installing games on basically a daily basis. Has technology improved in these few years or am I expected to buy a new SSD every year?

Well that changed with the newer gen SSD's indeed. SSD's handle deletion perfectly fine now, only few things you are not supposed to run on SSD's, internet browsers for example, or torrent downloads. And the things that can break because of this you have INSANE buffers on a 512GB SSD for example, like.. it could last 50 years before wear-leveling would make it a brick.

Am I really that much of an off-shoot with a 512GB SSD (830 from Samsung) and a 3TB HDD ? Granted I waited a while before jumping on that bandwagon, and I read a lot about it before deciding. To me it's System and games I often play (online, and some larger SP games, Fallout 3/NV) for example. I don't often move new games on there or delete some.... it's still a decision to put a game there or not. But things like Diablo 3 benefit HUGELY from a SSD for some reason.

I am just saying that games benefit from SSD's... some of them, anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 18:37 Quinn

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 18:09:
The HDD is of course a bottleneck for those old PC's just as much as it is for newer ones... SSD is where it's at. And nobody has an excuse only running 128gb of SSD, when 250 or 500gb are offered for good price nowadays.

Glad to help Maybe you weren't aware, but games are getting bigger.... just saying.

A few years ago I had decided only to have an SSD as a boot-up device aka OS device and not as storage for games. This because I read that SSD's don't handle file deletion and reinstallation well. I want my gaming storage device to be able to handle me deleting games and installing games on basically a daily basis. Has technology improved in these few years or am I expected to buy a new SSD every year?

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

69. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 18:09 eRe4s3r

68. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 12:55 HoSpanky

I've been using onboard audio this time around, half because I can't tell the difference between it and the discrete card that has moved to my gf's machine, and half because my new machine is out of room.
I opted for SLI, in a midtower case. The slot I'd planned for a sound card got taken up by a cheap NIC, as the onboard one had weird issues (one of those Killer NICs, didnt want it but I liked the rest of the board).
Compressed audio is no issue for the onboard. The entire "problem" they're solving here is for a very small audience of people who should have upgraded years ago.

67. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 12:51 HorrorScope

66. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 12:48 Beamer

descender wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 11:31:
There's nothing wrong with the "sound decoder" in source.

This game was designed for the lowest common denominator, and in this case that means ON BOARD SOUND.

People with onboard sound (probably a significant portion of the pc market at this point, thanks for dropping the ball Creative Labs)... can't decode and play at the same time (because they've butchered the source engine in other extremely inefficient ways already), so we get 40GB of uncompressed audio.

I don't think this has anything to do with streaming it off of SSD's or any of this other nonsense being discussed. They wouldn't be talking about cores of your CPU decoding the audio otherwise.

There's no excuse at all for the audio to be delivered in this manner other than lazy as shit programmers.

Probably a significant portion?
I'd be shocked if it was under 90%. Steam doesn't capture this, but there isn't a single computer manufacturer using anything other than on-board, and even for those building their own few see any reason to spend money on better sound, since the difference is hard to notice, instead of putting that cash to a better CPU, better GPU or more RAM.

Seriously, you say "lowest common denominator," but I don't think that's the right term. Even if we poll Blues, I'd be shocked if more than 20% of us have a dedicated sound card.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

65. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 12:34 CJ_Parker

I have a simple fix for y'all: Just don't install this epic piece of SHIT at all. El problemo solvendo capisce!?!  

64. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 11:31 descender

There's nothing wrong with the "sound decoder" in source.

This game was designed for the lowest common denominator, and in this case that means ON BOARD SOUND.

People with onboard sound (probably a significant portion of the pc market at this point, thanks for dropping the ball Creative Labs)... can't decode and play at the same time (because they've butchered the source engine in other extremely inefficient ways already), so we get 40GB of uncompressed audio.

I don't think this has anything to do with streaming it off of SSD's or any of this other nonsense being discussed. They wouldn't be talking about cores of your CPU decoding the audio otherwise.

There's no excuse at all for the audio to be delivered in this manner other than lazy as shit programmers.

63. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 11:26 eRe4s3r

Ant wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 09:03:
Cabezone wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 03:22:
Fast storage is also cheap, .50 usd per GB.
For SSDs?

Yeah.... I got the Samsung 830 500gb for 180 and I am super happy with it.

SSD's cost 0.50$ in median price, but HDD's are like 0.05$

So it depends what you define as "cheap" ;)for the insane benefit an SSD adds to a computer not having one... I think the price is more than good already. If you have a slow computer for work stuff, an SSD will make that baby run like it's on drugs. The (felt) difference is massive.

If you didn't get an SSD yet do NOT buy anything smaller than 250gb if you ever consider it

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2014, 11:32.

62. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 11:23 eRe4s3r

Boston wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 20:50:
Doesn't seem right. 35GB of uncompressed audio? Assuming 44khz, 16bit, mono (mono is typically used for in-game effects because the mixer is responsible for positional sound), that's over 110 hours of audio data! Why is there so much sound in this game??

Plus I don't buy their explanation one bit. Streaming massive amount of data from the slowest thing on a PC (HDD) is likely to cause more stalls than decoding audio on the fly (especially on an old machine that's not likely to have an SSD). Most likely they didn't have the time to build a streaming decoder into their game engine.

They use the source engine, yes, that Source engine, it doesn't have a very good sound decoder, and that's putting it VERY KINDLY. The HDD is of course a bottleneck for those old PC's just as much as it is for newer ones... SSD is where it's at. And nobody has an excuse only running 128gb of SSD, when 250 or 500gb are offered for good price nowadays.

110 hours of audio date is not unlikely

game languages voiced: French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, and Japanese

Add to that, music, effects

There are certainly a lot of voice overs in the game too, at least in the campaign.

Just saying, the size is insane and so is the excuse, but I am sure the 5 people running this ancient hardware will be happy.

61. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 10:08 Redmask

Trevellian wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 09:07:
So here is a thought, don't put it on your SSD with your OS and quit bitching about it. It's not like the game fucking loads slow jesus christ. I have a 120 SSD for my OS as well, and I put Titanfall on my 1TB non SSD HD and it doesn't load slow at all.

You literally are just bitching to bitch.

I wasn't the one bitching. I just said it is really dumb for them to package the game this way in response to him being a dick to people who are bothered by it. They could have easily avoided all of this and in fact did so for the Xbox One version.

60. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 09:38 SpectralMeat

Trevellian wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 09:07:
So here is a thought, don't put it on your SSD with your OS and quit bitching about it. It's not like the game fucking loads slow jesus christ. I have a 120 SSD for my OS as well, and I put Titanfall on my 1TB non SSD HD and it doesn't load slow at all.

Exactly. I don't keep any games on my SSD.
If anything the internet connection (lagging) will cause a lot more issues during an online game than the load times (regular hard drive vs SSD)
This reminds me of people bitching about doing bad in shooter games because of the lag with wireless mouses vs wired.

Steam: SpectralMeat

59. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 09:07 Trevellian

Redmask wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 07:21:
Cabezone wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 22:37:
I have a 120gb ssd for my os and a 500gb ssd for games. That's more than enough room. If you can't afford to get anything other than a 120 SSD....get a platter drive and stop bitching.

Complaining about the install size is just bitching cause you like to bitch.

No, you're just being unreasonable. What about 100GB? 200GB? According to you there is no install size too large. This isn't an MMO and there is no reason for me to need 4GB of polish language files if I don't speak the language. It is entirely unnecessary and a pointless waste of space, taking up nearly half of a 120GB SSD is absurd and frankly you look like a clown for a defending it. I also don't just assume that everyone can afford the same computer specs and storage space.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

58. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 09:03 Ant

Cabezone wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 03:22:
Fast storage is also cheap, .50 usd per GB.
For SSDs?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

57. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 08:39 Pigeon

Stolk wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 02:19:
Simon Says wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 20:14:
That's total bullshit, winamp decodes AAC, FLAC and MP3 at less than 1% on one core, and that's on an old midrange cpu ( core i5 750 ) at a throttled down speed ( around 1.4ghz ).

And yes I know thats only "1 channel", but still.

So why couldn't their game do the same?

You can't handle the truth son! They don't want you to know it's not the audio, but you are exposing them! Keep up the fight! If the people find out it's something other than audio, and we know their lies, down with Respawn!

I'm sure there's a 28GB NSA.bat file hiding in there somewhere.

56. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 07:51 [VG]Reagle

ChaosEngine wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 23:56:
Ah, I love these forums. So much heat, so little light.

Yes, the game is 48gb on disk. But the download is less than half that size ~20GB).

But hey, don't let facts stop you ranting to your hearts content.

We never rant in this forum.

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

55. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 07:21 Redmask

Cabezone wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 22:37:
I have a 120gb ssd for my os and a 500gb ssd for games. That's more than enough room. If you can't afford to get anything other than a 120 SSD....get a platter drive and stop bitching.

Complaining about the install size is just bitching cause you like to bitch.

No, you're just being unreasonable. What about 100GB? 200GB? According to you there is no install size too large. This isn't an MMO and there is no reason for me to need 4GB of polish language files if I don't speak the language. It is entirely unnecessary and a pointless waste of space, taking up nearly half of a 120GB SSD is absurd and frankly you look like a clown for a defending it. I also don't just assume that everyone can afford the same computer specs and storage space.

54. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 07:11 theyarecomingforyou

NKD wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 02:50:
Nah, it's 2014. Many of us have moved on to SSDs to decrease loading times and stuttering in games that stream content into memory. Unfortunately SSDs are significantly more expensive per gig so needlessly huge games force us to either be more choosy about what we have installed at a given time, or force us to install them to slower spinny disk drives.
I have an SSD for my primary drive but it's simply not practical to use them for gaming. The reason I love Steam is because I no longer have to mess about with discs, installers and directories, as everything is handled automatically - I can have all my games installed. Having to manually install / transfer games onto an SSD and constantly swap them out because of the limited storage just doesn't appeal to me.

Things aren't going to improve until hybrid drives take off (and have the reliability) or SSDs get much, much larger.

As for the size, it states in the summary that it is uncompressed after download so it has no impact on download caps or download time. The real issue is that Titanfall looks pretty crappy and doesn't have a legitimate reason to be using that much space. It was the same with RAGE, which took up a huge amount of space for the textures but they all looked shit in-game. If a game is going to take the best part of 50GB it should be because it dramatically enhances the game, not because it benefits the small percentage of users running the game on minimum specs.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

53. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 06:44 Moog

NKD wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 02:50:
Unfortunately SSDs are significantly more expensive per gig so needlessly huge games force us to either be more choosy about what we have installed at a given time, or force us to install them to slower spinny disk drives.

Or just install your games to a normal HD and then move your 'game de jour' over to the SSD and link to the SSD directory.

When you're done with that game, you don't need to uninstall, just move it back to your big (slower) hard drive.

So for Titanfall, I installed it to my 2TB D drive then moved the directory to my 60GB SSD and linked across with this command...

mklink /D "D:\Games\Titanfall" "F:\Titanfall"

in a few months, when I'm not playing Titanfall as much and something newer has come along, I'll just delete the link and move it back to my D drive to free up 50GB of SSD.

52. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 04:57 JeffD

Cabe, such a loaded comment. Compared to what? when? Most people are running around with 120 and 240gb SDD drives, 50gb installs are too big.  

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo